• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Westlo

This smash music just makes SF5's music sound even more bland and lifeless than it already does. Step your music game up Capcom.

Remixing iconic themes is a bit easier than creating new great music.....

SFV music/hit sound effects
l1x61OA.png

Capcom hire a sound team

if you got one, fire them and hire a new sound team

Dem blocking sounds in SFV.... smfh... so horrible.

They need to bring back arcade SFIV blocking sounds, that shit made blocking / doing block strings feel good. Can't believe they nerfed that shit for console and now we get this trash block sfx for SFV.

mbpm1

Dem blocking sounds in SFV.... smfh... so horrible.

They need to bring back arcade SFIV blocking sounds, that shit made blocking / doing block strings feel good. Can't believe they nerfed that shit for console and now we get this trash block sfx for SFV.

No it's a genius move. It's incentive for you to make sure your moves hit Kappa

Also, Dis Elena Video. Blackule take notes

shaowebb

Are you ever actually gonna say anything related to Ryu? I mean you've pretty much circled every non sequitor point you can. Megaman, Sonic, Superman...I was talking bout Ryu's outift and I made my point long ago. If he showed signs of personality it'd be easier for me. Even though I find Ryo Sakazaki dull he at least shows strong personality out there. Same with Takuma. Both could use more, but at least they convey something through body language. Ryu doesn't. He's stoic. Anyone else tries to use Gi as their outfit they need at least personality through body language. It fails outright otherwise.

Ryu's an icon and apparently you can't call out an outdated and dull outfit for what it is...something that wouldn't fly on anyone but someone who became known for it. He gets a pass from folks because that look is his now I guess, but its still dull. As I said though, you can be an icon and still evolve your look which is why if I touch SF I'll pretty much look around to see if he has any other alts to play as. Like what you like, but you stopped making any on topic points long ago and just circled around non sequitor stuff not related to what I actually said.
FGW | Ryu might be better suited for other 2D fighting games, like Street Fighter

Works for me.

Westlo

It don't need to be iconic, it just needs to be catchy. It's that ambient stuff that NRS games are full of.

Doesn't change my point, it's easy to praise Smash for remixing Capcom themes, that's easy. And we all know Capcom will do character remixes for SFV anyway, it's just a question of if it's from the get go or the next update/season.

I just hope they don't lock some of their best music in single player mode like they did with SFIV/SFxTK. Hearing yet another Ryu remix theme for Akuma online instead of his actual far superior remix of his own theme that was locked to his hidden boss fight was just
holeup.png

Most of the SFxTK themes were wack as fuck, cept the rival/boss themes... which were only in single player too.

All the compliments given to SF4's soundtrack are to remixes. I think the Smash versions of Ryu and Ken's theme are better than 4's.

Overpass and Solar Eclipse shit on the SF4 remixes.

Louffy still one of the GOATs

top 5 rn tbh

Nah

Top 5: Daigo, Momochi, Infiltration, Xian, Bonchan

Luffy is on a great streak right now, but those players have the more impressive wins and consistency. I might even put Nemo above Luffy.

Bonchan
-RB Kumite 1st
-Double Elimination 2nd
-4th NCR
-Stunfest 7th
-KVO 5th

Luffy has been beating up on Europeans and had that great win in Germany. I don't put the European only events on the same scale as the stacked tournaments with 10-12 top 20 players in the game because Europeans aren't the best. They're better than the US, and they can upset the Asians, but apart from Luffy can't consistently go toe to toe with them. Probably Valmaster, Ryan, and Gagapa can be added to that list too.

Dreamhack was basically Europe featuring Gamerbee, but without Valmaster and Gagapa.

mbpm1

Hearing yet another Ryu remix theme for Akuma online instead of his actual far superior remix of his own theme that was locked to his hidden boss fight was just
holeup.png

I actually forgot Akuma had a theme in SF4 until you mentioned it just now.

Also, Dis Elena Video. Blackule take notes

yooooooooooo

Nah

Top 5: Daigo, Momochi, Infiltration, Xian, Bonchan

Luffy is on a great streak right now, but those players have the more impressive wins and consistency. I might even put Nemo above Luffy.

Bonchan
-RB Kumite 1st
-Double Elimination 2nd
-4th NCR
-Stunfest 7th
-KVO 5th

Luffy has been beating up on Europeans and had that great win in Germany. I don't put the European only events on the same scale as the stacked tournaments with 10-12 top 20 players in the game because Europeans aren't the best. They're better than the US, and they can upset the Asians, but apart from Luffy can't consistently go toe to toe with them. Probably Valmaster, Ryan, and Gagapa can be added to that list too.

Dreamhack was basically Europe featuring Gamerbee, but without Valmaster and Gagapa.

...so we not gonna include Evo? What about him shitting on Bonchan/Momochi/Poongko in the last time they've met? Shiiet, even shat on Xian last time for trying his pocket Elena.

I'm not sure if Bonchan could win a Euro tournament when he gets bopped by Pro Fluke lol

Sakurai eating crow.

he's the type of person who says you can only eat pizza with your hands, and not with a fork n knife!

From what I've hear about people who meet him, he doesn't seem like an open person. He really wants things a certain way and I heard that when players like Mew2King and Zero took photos with him, PR people told them to not ask him anything about the game mechanics or balance, because he absolutely hates getting those questions. Prog also wrote something about him when he saw him at E3. I'm not out to make people at Sakurai hater but just from anecdotes he basically is the complete opposite of Ono when it comes to how they view the community that plays their games.

http://ask.fm/askprog/answer/123546793325

I love that Smash players were instantly begging for Roy/Ryu to be banned at EVO. Typical.

Judging by the last couple years, Smash players better be more concerned about the soap/deodorant mixup than what characters are banned.

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/609709067246813184

That has everything to do with the fact that they're releasing only one month before Evo just like Lucas and doesn't really have anything to do with the players.

shaowebb

Yes Ryu gets a pass for being Ryu. That's how things work. You don't question it.

Apparently not. Its just one of those things I guess. I don't get it, but I guess I don't have to so long as they keep hitting up the alts. Given how many they made for SFIV by the end I'll should have something else to look at if I end up playing the new one.

notworksafe

That has everything to do with the fact that they're releasing only one month before Evo just like Lucas and doesn't really have anything to do with the players.

Eh, even if Nintendo allowed it to be at EVO (ridiculous that they aren't) Smashbabies would still be losing their minds and demanding a ban.

Crocodile

Wow I come back home and there's footage of Ryu and Roy? What a blow up LOL

People still don't get that they knew classic Mega Man was going to be in Smash 4 at the time SFxT was being made. They weren't going to steal the thunder.

Mega Man X, Volnutt and EXE were still all available for the taking :p

I love that Smash players were instantly begging for Roy/Ryu to be banned at EVO. Typical.

Isn't that how it goes with every fighting game? New characters released too close to major events get banned because not everybody has enough time to figure them out. I certainly remember something like this when Mortal Kombat 9 was still big in the scene

shaowebb

Ryu in Smash has FADC, and I'm happy for some weird reason lol

Kind of curious how he's gonna use FADC in Smash. Its a ringout game. Curious to see how his playstyle runs fishing for smashes and blast zone hits. Also curious what his down smash game is and how well he defends beneath himself. Its a very vertical game at times. If he has the light tatsu stuff though he can cover his landings pretty well off a jump. If not though there will be much stuff fished to setup up airs on him. The FADC is probably needed so he doesn't have to jump shit all day or sac shield if it turns out he has any sort of down air weaknesses.

Gonna have to wait and find out I guess, but its the first thing to test. His landing options.

pixelish

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I just tried to check my trophies while USFIV was open and it crashed my PS4. Like, there's no video being output but my PS4 still has the white light on. Now it just shut itself off completely.

Uhhh

Kind of curious how he's gonna use FADC in Smash. Its a ringout game. Curious to see how his playstyle runs fishing for smashes and blast zone hits. Also curious what his down smash game is and how well he defends beneath himself. Its a very vertical game at times. If he has the light tatsu stuff though he can cover his landings pretty well off a jump. If not though there will be much into up airs on him.

If Focus has 1 hit of armor, I can see a good amount of shenanigans. Like absorbing an air hit from soemone attempting to air to ground, then dashing in to punish or grab them. If it is against projectiles, he probably can absorb it and dash through like in SF4, and he seems like he is decently fast in this game. I wonder if there are anything that armor breaks against it though.

kirblar

We're getting a dedicated SFV exhibition stream during with players like Team Evil Geniuses (Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz, PR Rog, Momochi, K-Brad, and ChocoBlanka), Team Mad Catz (Daigo, Tokido, Mago), and Team Razer (Xian, Fuudo, and RB) and peeps are suggesting a joke title?
As ironic as it is, you guys should save it for after E3 when the information blowout and hopefully nice exhibitions are done.
That's what new threads are for. FGW titles are for fun.

Nintendo's contract setup w/ EVO is really weird because of the music licensing issues.

Kind of curious how he's gonna use FADC in Smash. Its a ringout game. Curious to see how his playstyle runs fishing for smashes and blast zone hits. Also curious what his down smash game is and how well he defends beneath himself. Its a very vertical game at times. If he has the light tatsu stuff though he can cover his landings pretty well off a jump. If not though there will be much stuff fished to setup up airs on him. The FADC is probably needed so he doesn't have to jump shit all day or sac shield if it turns out he has any sort of down air weaknesses.

Gonna have to wait and find out I guess, but its the first thing to test. His landing options.

Make blocked smash attacks safe is my first guess. I'm actually salivating...but it could also be this tasty soup I'm eating so I dunno.

notworksafe

He also did this same thing at previous EVOs when character DLC would release too close to EVO. Doesn't seem like anything new to me.

Seems like a cop out to me, especially since this patch is probably going to have balance changes. But looks like they are just sticking to the old version b/c of whatever weird deal they had to make so whatever.

Kikujiro

We're getting a dedicated SFV exhibition stream during with players like Team Evil Geniuses (Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz, PR Rog, Momochi, K-Brad, and ChocoBlanka), Team Mad Catz (Daigo, Tokido, Mago), and Team Razer (Xian, Fuudo, and RB) and peeps are suggesting a joke title?
As ironic as it is, you guys should save it for after E3 when the information blowout and hopefully nice exhibitions are done.

I'm sure there will be an official thread for the exhibition.

Seems like a cop out to me, especially since this patch is probably going to have balance changes. But looks like they are just sticking to the old version b/c of whatever weird deal they had to make so whatever.

When MK9 had its first Evo they banned Skarlet and Kenshi for releasing too close to the event. Same thing with Scorpion in Injustice.

If anything this is just Mr Wizard being consistentn

notworksafe

When MK9 had its first Evo they banned Skarlet and Kenshi for releasing too close to the event. Same thing with Scorpion in Injustice.

If anything this is just Mr Wizard being consistentn

Except he isn't consistent. Both AE and Ultra had multiple new characters and were allowed.

IIRC Skarlet was out about two week before EVO, that's short enough time to expect a ban. Scorpion was around a month before. TBH one month is plenty of time to learn what you need to compete against a character.

Top Bottom