• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 10th

Not too good for a slow month isn't it? I mean, #9 suggest it being surpassed in sales by games released during the fall, right?

It isn't great, no, but for some to say it is awful or a "bomba" is a bit premature at this point. It released on February 20th, and most of those games ahead of it released on multiple platforms and have had multiple sales/discounts.

In my opinion, I think many people need to keep in perspective that the game released February 20th, and it is an exclusive new IP. Looks like it may have sold around 300,000 copies in North America.

Chobel

9ta9voC.png

LMAO!!!

NateDrake

Nintendo Won Feb. 3DS Best-Selling Hardware for February.

Nintendo 3DS is Best-Selling Hardware Platform in February

The one-two-three punch of New Nintendo 3DS XL, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate helped Nintendo 3DS become the top-selling hardware platform in the United States in February. All three products launched in the United States on Feb. 13, and even with only 17 days of data being reported they were able to accomplish the following:

In its 48th month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS family sold nearly 395,000 units in the U.S. The great majority of these sales were New Nintendo 3DS XL systems, which sold 130 percent more units in its initial frame than Nintendo 3DS XL did when it launched on Aug. 19, 2012.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was the top-selling title for the month with more than 515,000 combined physical and digital units sold. The game is now the fastest-selling Legend of Zelda hand-held title in U.S. history.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate sold more than 290,000 combined physical and digital units and is now the fastest-selling Monster Hunter title – across all platforms – in U.S. history. In addition, the game has the highest Metascore of any Monster Hunter title and is also Capcom’s fastest-selling title on the Nintendo 3DS platform in U.S. history.
Through the first two months of 2015, sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware have increased by more than 90 percent over sales in the same period in 2014.

Nintendo also saw strong results for Wii U, which had its best year ever in 2014 and has continued to build on that momentum in 2015. Specific achievements include:

So far in 2015, sales of Wii U hardware have increased by more than 20 percent over sales in the same period in 2014.
Life-to-date sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and amiibo have surpassed 1.5 million total units and 3.5 million figures, respectively, an attach rate of nearly 2.5 amiibo figures per game unit sold.

The momentum for Nintendo software and systems should continue over the next few months thanks to a strong lineup of software that includes Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Nintendo 3DS, March 13), Mario Party 10 + Mario amiibo bundle (Wii U, March 20), Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Nintendo 3DS, April 10) and Splatoon (Wii U, May).

Kriken

I don't know sales for this Feb, but history shows us that console sales rise with each passing year in the first half of the consoles lifecycle. Even if we ignore Order, everyone who wants to purchase PS4 now has 150+ games to find fun with, but last year they had less than 50.

Well yeah, I think I just gut reacted a bit much at the number increase, and I apologize. Just a 40% YoY increase seemed a bit implausible

blakep267

It isn't great, no, but for some to say it is awful or a "bomba" is a bit premature at this point. It released on February 20th, and most of those games ahead of it released on multiple platforms and have had multiple sales/discounts.

In my opinion, I think many people need to keep in perspective that the game released February 20th, and it is an exclusive new IP. Looks like it may have sold around 300,000 copies in North America.

thats not really that great though. Look at titan fall and infamous ss. Both of those did at least double what the order did, and on a smaller install base.

Number of days doesn't mean that much. it isn't like it had 2 days of tracking

Bgamer90

Banned
So, XB1 being $50 cheaper still can't beat PS4. $299 is happening this year I think.

People buying consoles this time of year are looking for consoles with the latest games instead of just the best deal. Xbox One hasn't had a major exclusive. PS4 should take March too due to Bloodborne.

Either way, yeah -- I definitely think we'll see a $300 SKU soon.

Is there something wrong with what they said? Am I missing something?

The silly Xbox Live stats. Unnecessary to bring up lol.

Curufinwe

thats not really that great though. Look at titan fall and infamous ss. Both of those did at least double what the order did, and on a smaller install base.

How much did Infamous SS do in its first month?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3.5 million figures, respectively, an attach rate of nearly 2.5 amiibo figures per game unit sold.

Mein gott.

The Order at #9? Damn. I really thought it would end up in the Top 5 after all that marketing and hype

Surprised it made it to #9 with all the media negativity (some of which was invalid) it got.

Bloodborne will give it a good boost this month.

Congrats to PS4. Its the new money printer.

Lucreto

Haha the last one has already been used. The future of RAD is going to be interesting to see, The Order is the game they wanted to make and if that is their vision for games, just damn. I don't personally think they are going to get another chance by Sony but let's see where it goes, if they did get another chance and the same people are at RAD the sequel ain't going to be much better than 1886 is it? Like I said the tech was awesome, it's everything else that was poor.

I find people that compared RAD to ND a huge insult to the latter, heck I enjoyed Heavy Rain x1000 more than The Order. Unfortunately it perhaps is the case that RAD are only good at making games for franchises with established mechanics, unable to produce their own of note.

9 is not bad. We need to see individual charts to make that determination. It could be 6 or 7 otherwise.

The game is going better in Europe.

So what are the excuses for The Order going to be?

- It came out on the 20th
- It was bundled (it wasn't)
- 9th isn't THAT bad

Lol, well played. I think I may have used 2 of them. But I also added that it was a new exclusive IP compared to multiplatform games. So you can add that one to the list.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The order flopped, no doubt about it. I'm glad to be honest. Not my cup of tea at all. Hopefully Sony will fund the type of quality games I expected from them this gen. Full quality products with a good amount of content

onQ123

Next gen console exclusives are always going to show unfavourably on these charts.

However with no other major releases outside of Evolve I can't imagine it sold a lot.

It's difficult to say whether it's a complete flop.

Edit: actually nevermind if zelda sold 515k copies digitally and physically and was #1 that means the order probably only sold like 150k

How can that be when the game under it sold 290K?

I clearly said it isn't great. Then added all my excuses afterwards :)

Javin98

Banned
Damn, if the XB1 sold 275K last month and the PS4 sold more than that, my predictions are fucked. I didn't expect the 3DS to do so well either

The order flopped, no doubt about it. I'm glad to be honest. Not my cup of tea at all. Hopefully Sony will fund the type of quality games I expected from them this gen. Full quality products with a good amount of content

I hope they fund 2 more Order games exactly like the first one just to spite you :)

Haha the last one has already been used. The future of RAD is going to be interesting to see, The Order is the game they wanted to make and if that is their vision for games, just damn. I don't personally think they are going to get another chance by Sony but let's see where it goes, if they did get another chance and the same people are at RAD the sequel ain't going to be much better than 1886 is it? Like I said the tech was awesome, it's everything else that was poor.

I find people that compared RAD to ND a huge insult to the latter, heck I enjoyed Heavy Rain x1000 more than The Order. Unfortunately it perhaps is the case that RAD are only good at making games for franchises with established mechanics, unable to produce their own of note.

As a tech house, they seemed to do really well. The Order was definitely a pretty showcase. I don't want to speak for others, but for me, the comparison was more along the lines of UC1 to UC2 profession and hoping to see the same going from the Order to its sequel. Unfortunately, its not looking that likely. Its roughly around 500k NPD and ranked mid level on PSN (is that just NA or worldwide?). Its looking like it might limp to 1m but won't go much further until it is heavily discounted. Whether Sony will have RAD take another shot, who knows. I also think that the relationship between Sony and RAD is slighlt in question as it felt going up to launch that if the Order was a resounding success RAD would be made first party.

Paganmoon

The 290k on Monster Hunter includes digital. No clue how the usual ratio for Nintendo Retail/digital is, but I'd guess 300k is around the top limit The Order sold, probably lower though.

Not calling it a bomba, put doesn't look bright.

why the hell would people think the 3DS would sell more than the PS4?

According to Nintendo press release, it did though.

DrkSage

The order 1886 charted #9 and people saying it bombed? Wtf?

For a new IP that's good. I mean... Lbp3 didn't chart and it has a good community, FH2 didn't chart and SO being a new IP like 1886 didn't either.

I didn't buy the order but I'm impressed it even charted

The order 1886 charted #9 and people saying it bombed? Wtf?

For a new IP that's good. I mean... Lbp3 didn't chart and it has a good community, FH2 didn't chart and SO being a new IP like 1886 didn't either.

I didn't buy the order but I'm impressed it even charted

Did Sunset Overdrive really not chart? That's surprising to hear

RBK

Banned

I wouldn't say 300k is a flop.

It's sold less than my 400k prediction though.

Top Bottom