• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast food burger menu's are a joke of their former selves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman94

Just look at these burgers

Of all of them, the only one that has lettuce is the Big Mac, which doesn't even have tomatoes. Literally all of the burgers on here on the exception of the Big Mac is the same burger just with bigger or more meat. No variety whatsoever. The best burger on their menu isn't even shown on the menu (The Daily Double). Whenever I order the Daily Double the staff freaks the fuck out cause they either don't remember how to make it or don't know how to order it.

While Wendy's burgers doesn't have super variety as well, at least there's some differences in the ingredients used (With The Dave Burgers having the full lettuce, tomoatoes, onions, pickles outfit, and the Baconator outfit being full of fucking bacon, the Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger being a combination of the two.

Burger King menus is just as bad as Wendy's, boring as shit. Just the same ingredients just swapped around in each burger for the sake of "variety"..

Say what you will about the quality of Checker's food, but you can't deny that they constantly have variety in their menu. Yeah you got the usually suspects but you also got stuff like the Mushroom Swiss Burger, Fry Lover Burger or the Big Daddy Bacon Double. Not only that Checkers adds new ridiculous burgers to their menu every few months.

I'm not asking for Red Robin's type of variety in my fast food but shit, throw me a bone. 3 of the biggest fast food chains all basically selling the same shit is not making me want to eat there at all. For a while I just stayed away from fast food burgers and just every few months eat a good burger from Red Robin's or just make my own just cause I got tired of the same shit over and over again.

entremet

I prefer simple menus.

Five Guys, In -N-Out, The Habit, etc.

One of the reasons these low end fast food joints are struggling is because they try do too many things.

WorldStar

Banned
think it's a USA thing

pretty sure every burger I've gotten at McDonald's in Europe comes with veggies, quality diverse bun options, unique cheeses that often change, etc.

EU menu is very long with tons of variety

kmfdmpig

I prefer simple menus.

One of the reasons these low end fast food joints are struggling is because they try do too many things.

Agreed. Give me a good burger and bun and let me customize things a bit and I'll be happy.

had McD's for the first time in ages the other weekend and was actually pretty dismayed to have no lettuce, tomato or anything on the quarter pounder. I guess I thought it was exactly the same as the whopper.

pa22word

Stagnating wages + inflation + race to the bottom in terms of pricing = crap food

No one is going to mcd's for a five guys burger, they're going for 2 am drunk food for a dollar a burger, and to get to that pricing something's gotta give somewhere.

entremet

¡HarlequinPanic!;225329186 said:
had McD's for the first time in ages the other weekend and was actually pretty dismayed to have no lettuce, tomato or anything on the quarter pounder. I guess I thought it was exactly the same as the whopper.

Really? The Quarter Pounder has been like that for ages.

It's basically a big ass McDonald's Cheeseburger.

You can add stuff to order.

NandoGip

I prefer simple menus.

For real. After going to places like Five Guys and Chipotle where you just pick what you want, these giant menus seem so ancient to me.

bman94

Really? The Quarter Pounder has been like that for ages.

It's basically a big ass McDonald's Cheeseburger.

You can add stuff to order.

Yeah you can add stuff to it but there was a time where the Quarter Pounder was decked out with a like 3 variants of burgers. Shit was good.

lazygecko

Don't the big chains rotate seasonal items on top of their bread & butter selection? I had some tex mex style burger at BK a few months ago.

Kurdel

Banned
Fast food nostalgia happens when you eat too much fast food.

1 big mac a year and it will stay good until you croak.

Bsigg12

Variety can lead to shit products a lot of the time since they have to carry so much of different products.

Simple that tastes good is far better.

Compbros

Quarter Pounder Deluxe has lettuce, tomato, and mayo. The one item they don't advertise that I even care to buy from McDonald's is the grilled onion cheddar burger and it's one of the few items that's a dollar now.

As for variety, I don't care for it from fast food burger joints. Salad's, breakfast items, different types of the same burger leading to confusion from customers and order takers, it's all nonsense. I'd prefer if they did it the subway way of asking what you want on top of your burger instead of these different names and burgers that are roughly the same but people still ask what's on it (the difference between a McDouble and a Double Cheese is literally one piece of cheese but I've heard people ask for 2 double cheeses when they ran their 2 for 2 promotion and surprised that the total cost was closer to 4 dollars).

Customers are dumb or, at the very least, ill informed and really need to be walked through things sometimes. It's easier to give them less initial options with the ability to customize. Fast food has never been about that though, it's about a quickly put together item for a cheap price but people still try to customize anyway so might as well let them.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Go one tier up on the burger food chain and go to Shakeshack, In N Out, or BurgerFi for variety.
qeUkxmK.jpg

Look at all that lettuce!
x6ShBWK.jpg

I agree, if I wanted a plain old burger I'd go somewhere that actually has good burgers. My main draw to any of the huge fast food chains is the weird shit they sometimes have. Wendy's used to have a burger with BBQ pork piled on top. McDondald's use to have a bacon habenero ranch quarter pounder. If I want a standard issue burger why would I go to any of these places when I could go to Cook Out, Steak n' Shake or a number of other restaurants where the quality is far superior and the price is comparable.

Also, a PSA: now that McDonald's serves breakfast all day you can ask them to add a round egg to your burger if that's your thing.

Go one tier up on the burger food chain and go to Shakeshack, In N Out, or BurgerFi for variety.
qeUkxmK.jpg

I really do love Burger-Fi, but holy shit they're expensive.

pablito

Just give me something like In N Out for a fast food burger and I'm good. Meals at other places are getting close to the price of local joints (and exceed some of them), so I'd generally just spend the extra 2 bucks and get something a lot better.

entremet

Yeah you can add stuff to it but there was a time where the Quarter Pounder was decked out with a like 3 variants of burgers. Shit was good.

The real answer is that those premium burgers don't sell. It's all about dollar menus with these places.

Kid Heart

I miss the angus burgers that McDonalds had out for a while. The deluxe and bacon burgers were surprisingly good for their standards.

rambis

Banned
Alot of this stuff is intentional. McDs US intentionally goes for a classic angle. International versions are anything but typical. Can say the same for Wendy's even though they have recently expanded alot.

Tenck

I prefer simple menus.

How's The Habit? I have one within walking distance, and I'm feeling hungry right now.

bman94

qeUkxmK.jpg

Look at all that lettuce!
x6ShBWK.jpg

Closest Shakeshack is an hour away, closest BurgerFi is 25 minutes away and the closest In N Out is a few states away.

New002

How's The Habit? I have one within walking distance, and I'm feeling hungry right now.

My GF and I found it to be very meh. Tasted like a Whopper, except more expensive. We haven't been back since. Sides were okay, but nothing to write home about.

bman94

The real answer is that those premium burgers don't sell. It's all about dollar menus with these places.

That's bullshit cause all of the "Standard" burgers they have on the menu now are premium burger prices. Yeah those premium burgers used to be $7+ dollars but you got some different stuff in them. Now a days a Wendy's "Dave's Double" is around the same cost just for the same shit as their dollar burgers, just bigger.

I've been noticing this recently. I went to get a fast food burger from Roy Rogers for the first time in like five years and was like "What is this garbage, and why are fast food burgers COLD".

WorldStar

Banned
Closest Shakeshack is an hour away, closest BurgerFi is 25 minutes away and the closest In N Out is a few states away.

Shake shack likely worth the drive

Dunno where you live but the Hollywood location sells booze too and I think has TVs, you can catch a clippers game and make a night out of it

Edit: typo

Because of this thread, I discover my work blocks mcdonalds.com.

We can access youtube, facebook and neogaf at work but mcdonalds cross the fucking line.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have a mantra that the shittier, simple and rushed looking the menu is the better the food is

and its always come through for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom