• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FarCry Riddick Doom3 HalfLife2 STALKER Halo2

COCKLES

being watched
Halo 2.

How can it possibly be anything else?

Although Riddick is a fantastic surprise.

Unreal Championship 2 looks fruity and fun. UT2K4 - bit too twitch gameplay for me.

Doom 3 / Half Life 2 - I just want them to release already. HL2's problem is they've showed so much of it now it feels old.

Stalker - I'll let you know when my Cray MPX arrives.

For me it will likely be MP2, whatever anyone wants to actually consider that in terms of genre (personally I don't care lol).

In terms of "standard" FPS games, I'll go with Halo 2.

Culex

Banned
I think UT2K4 will win it. So many good times with the game. You can play just Onslaught and it's enough for a purchase. All the awesome mods available aleady for it, too. You don't even need to play the game, just play Alien Swarm. Best 40 dollars ever. GOTY.

Joe

humor was not the intention of my post.

and you are the absolute last person to comment on humor.

Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 have the best long term potential. Doom 3 has moderate future mod potential, but Far Cry, Riddick, and Stalker are all play-once-and-move-on affairs.

Not considering any multiplayer functionality, what does Halo 2 do to really stand out against the others?

Pimpbaa

Doom 3 or maybe Halo 2. But HL2 or Stalker could end up being my favorites. Far too early to say which one is gonna be GOTY.

cuccoo

Culex said:
November. Have you been reading anything about the game in the past year?

actually no, i didnt like the first one so never really care about #2. I read some of the e3 news though, but not previews etc.

ced

Halo 2 and Prime are gonna be fighting it out for my personal GOTY I Imagine.

Not considering any multiplayer functionality, what does Halo 2 do to really stand out against the others?

Oh boy...

Well Ill just say we dont know much about the campaign, it has been kept a pretty tight secret, and what we do know is drastic improvements upon the original, how can this not be amazing?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
half life 2 for single player, halo2 for multiplayer. But really, both will prob be very close overall for fps goty for me. But then, I'm always open to pleasant surprises from other contenders..:)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
does this thread title remind anyone else of the metatags on a warez sight?

Oh, If I had to pick one Halo 2.. but I will buy most of these (or allready have as the case may be)

I'm not so sure I'd even classify Riddick a FPS. Sure there's some shootin', especially after the bomb goes off, but there's a lot more going on with the stealth, hand to hand combat, and RPG-ish elements. It's much more of an adventure game.

Riddick is to FPS as Thief and Deus Ex are to FPS.

Killzone looks cool too! I downloaded this massive 200mb torrent movie from somewhere and loved it! The stealth kills in the game look awesome! Just hope they improve the frame
rate.

LAMBO

Halflife 2 will be the best by a mile. Halo 2 isn't going to come with some of the best dev tools ever released like Halflife 2 will. I can only imagine the great mods that will be coming out for halflife2. Already there's CS right off that bat, and it sounds like alot of mod makers are waiting for HL2 as their next platform.

But even if you forget all that alot of the things i've seen in the halflife videos are very cool, things i've never seen before. I can't say that with Halo 2 as much. Halo will be good though.

Doom3 and the others i'm not too intersted in, except the free roaming one that takes place in Russia, think it's Stalker.

COCKLES

being watched
Possible Spoilers in my Riddick appreciation.

I'm at the fight your way through the infested prison stage of Riddick. Great to see a game that gets better the further you get - some great ALIENSesque moments later on. I damn hope Starbreeze get to do Riddick 2.

Riddick is like Halo in many ways. While it doesn't do anything particuarly new or orginal - what is does do feels complete and throughly solid and entertaining.

Doom_Bringer said:
Killzone looks cool too! I downloaded this massive 200mb torrent movie from somewhere and loved it! The stealth kills in the game look awesome! Just hope they improve the frame
rate.
WHAT THE F***K?? A 200 MB movie of Killzone?? GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME, please :-(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I got riddick on friday, i had to leave for the weekend later in the day so i didnt get to play it for more than a couple of hours but damn, its good. I agree with cockles, its nothing that hasnt been done well before except maybe the hand to hand stuff, Thief has most of the stealth elements and even if it beat Thief 3 to dynamic lighting it didnt beat splinter cell, but it does them both briliantly, the way the screen goes blue to tell you when you cant be seen is fantastic i played through the first hour without even realising i could shoot out the lights then got into a position where i needed to sneak around and looked at the light and suddenly remembered that i could do it. That makes it a great implementation in my opinion because it doesnt force me to use it, just gives me the choice.

This is definately a great year for FPS lovers no matter what you look for in them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've become kinda jaded and disinterested towards games lately, so I'm only excited about playing the really innovative and different games that are coming out. Right now, STALKER is the only FPS that really has my interest. I just hope they pull it off well, and that my computer (which was a monster when I got it a year ago) will be able to run it smoothly.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ask me again in January 2005 and I'll have an answer.

So far UT2K4 wins it hands down. I'm mostly excited for Halo2/DoomIII/HalfLife2 equally.

Keio

For a Finer World
Half-Life 2.

Even if half of the stuff we have seen in the videos is emergent and not scripted, it's going to be wonderful. Heck, if it was all scripted, it's going to be wonderful.

And for community support, HL2 has so much to build upon (and DOD2 and CS2) that it's unbeatable.

Speculating on, I'll say UT2K4 will also live on until UT2K5 :) ... it's great and already Alien Swarm and the Community Map Packs have shown great potential for expansion.

Riddick, Doom3, Stalker, Halo 2 - all will be good, but will not be remembered as classics (as HL1, Halo, Doom1 are)

Top Bottom