• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus (Enhanced Edition) is a modern, deeper and more immersive Half-Life 2

Xdrive05

Somehow I had completely slept on this one, and I'm so glad I picked it up in a recent Humble Bundle.

This may be the most immersive FPS I've ever played. How I'm feeling while playing Exodus is similar to how I felt back in 2004 when I first played HL2.

Where I am in the story:
the area where the train was stopped by a bridge, and there are different factions in the surrounding buildings and landmarks, including at least a religious cult, an engineer, some bandits, and others.
A lot of question marks left on the map here for me, so I'm just getting started.

The environments are incredible. The story is interesting and (so far) has a really relatable theme and swift pace to it. The looting and crafting system has enough depth to feel worthwhile and important for survival without feeling like a hassle, and there is a lot of quality of life considerations there (like crafting anywhere with your backpack). And the crafting even kind of feels somewhat believable in the context of this world and these missions. The game rewards you for exploring, and there is gobs of environmental story telling to flesh out this universe in the nooks and crannies of the world (again, like HL2). The weaponry feels great, and the loadout you choose actually matters a lot for your ammo capacity and effectiveness in combat.

The presentation is just stunning with the ray traced GI. Every environment just feels right as you move through them. Shadows are where they're supposed to be. Light spilling through windows and doors is bouncing where it should and filling the correct parts of the indoor areas. You just can't get this effect with artificial placements. I really hope we start seeing more AAA games that light their environments this way. It adds so much to the immersion.

The art style and sound design is incredible to me, and probably why I'm reminded so much of HL2 while playing it. The area that I'm in now wouldn't be that out of place in Water Hazzard or Highway 17, or maybe even White Forest or Freeman Pontifex in Ep.2.

So definitely try this out if you're a fan of single player FPS games with great immersion and atmosphere.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Story is from the book, so that probably going to add a lot, if you haven't read it, I recommend it.

Anyway, yeah all Metro and Stalker games are future classics.

Also in this day and age, I just want to say that it shows the strength of Ukraine game development.

Last edited:

Trumpets

I tried it on PS4 and didn't get very far, largely due to the ludicrous load times, but the PS5 version is massively improved.

Great story and characters, and the ray tracing really adds to the atmosphere. Whoever does the first-person animation at 4A Games is the best in the business too.

JayK47

It is my favorite Metro game by a large margin. It is really great. With my limited gaming time, I have played it twice. Would play again.

Xdrive05

not sure how its comparable to half life... its so different

That's fair for sure. They're very different gameplay loops, but I think there's enough overlap to draw the comparison:
  • Setting (Eastern European post apocalyptic)
  • Silent protagonist with female NPC companion
  • Mutated monsters & zombies
  • Alternating between corridor segments and open areas
  • Rich environmental storytelling
But I would call Half-Life more conceptual sci-fi, almost Lovecraftian in a sense, with Metro being a little more grounded in plausibility by comparison. And the gameplay is quite different indeed.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not.
I've finished hl2 many many times and exodus about 4 times (even this year with rtx version).
I love this game.... but it is so deeply badly paced, janky and flawed. Everyone never shuts up.

To be hones - the pacing of Last Light reminded me way more of hl2

Plantoid

loved the way they did quests and map, the raytracing at 60fps... And all that for $5 digitally, also played both expansions to completion, sam's story was as good as the main game

Everything in the game is well done, the shooting, sound, visual, story, animations, all great, extremely underrated game imo it's better than halo or any recent shooter I've played other than Doom

Laptop1991

I didn't think it was like Half Life 2 personally, more a linear Stalker for me, i've done Half Life 2 many times, Metro Exodus only once, a good game though.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
55vdGJy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The key to getting into this series is being interested in it. Post apocalyptic Russia is very sexy to me and I'm very high on this series, enhanced edition is exactly what it needed.

I’m not sure where the Half-Life 2 comparison came from, but I’ve played Metro: 2033 and Last Light recently and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Though I will say there are certain sections which annoyed me, such as there not being many filters on the surface and the certain terrible levels.

I've said since Exodus's release that it was massively underappreciated. The whole series is great, but Exodus masterfully walks that line of enough exploration and map size like S.T.A.L.K.E.R while still feeling like Metro. It's a masterpiece. Amazing art direction, music and graphics.

As far as comparisons to Half-Life 2....Hmm.. I just played through the ENTIRE Half-Life series maybe six months ago so it's still relatively fresh in my mind.....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kerotan

loved the way they did quests and map, the raytracing at 60fps... And all that for $5 digitally, also played both expansions to completion, sam's story was as good as the main game

Everything in the game is well done, the shooting, sound, visual, story, animations, all great, extremely underrated game imo it's better than halo or any recent shooter I've played other than Doom
Well they sure as hell didn't do all that by people paying €5 for it. Hopefully you'll by the next one at least half price. I've played all of them including the dlcs and they're brilliant.

OP, you should play the exodus dlc when you're done. Two excellent expansios.

Plantoid

Well they sure as hell didn't do all that by people paying €5 for it. Hopefully you'll by the next one at least half price. I've played all of them including the dlcs and they're brilliant.

OP, you should play the exodus dlc when you're done. Two excellent expansios.
I saw some Gameplays but I never played any metro before so i didn't want to risk, certainly going to buy their next game at launch

Listen, I love the Metro series to death, but Exodus is nowhere near HL2 and it's expert pacing. I can fire up HL2 anytime I want knowing I'll have a bunch of fun, Exodus can sometimes feel draining.

I'm not sure how Metro Exodus could be considered immersive when there is little to no interaction at all within the world. You are walking around static, non interactive dioramas. It's so phony.

I'm not sure how Metro Exodus could be considered immersive when there is little to no interaction at all within the world. You are walking around static, non interactive dioramas. It's so phony.
Lol. Some of the most immersive games around have very little interaction with environments.

Metro is immersive as it does so much in-game. Map? In-game on the back of clipboard. Crafting? Unzip your bookbag. Health and Ammo? On the weapons itself or hearing your character breathe. In stealth? Look at your watch.

It has a very good U.I. that does a lot to help sell you being in the character and in the world.

Not sure what you consider "immersive, but games that I do, STALKER, METRO, PREY, Dishonored, tend to share very similar design philosophies.

Last edited:

Kupfer

IMO not comparable to HL2, but still a good game. The first part of the game is just incredible dense and a lot of fun. Second part was still fun and something else, third part was not good and I just rushed it because I wanted the game to end. I don't want to spoil, so I won't get into detail, but maybe you'll feel the same when you finished the game - let me know :)
After I finished the story and some time passed I bought the Sams Story DLC and had a lot of fun again. It's more compact and the pacing is a bit faster.

Stuart360

It doesnt hold a candle to HL2 to be honest, in any way except graphics.
In fact Exodus was a big dissapointment for me. Way too much dialogue, boring gameplay, and arguably the worst AI of any game last gen.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
There is just so much standing around talking. Every NPC has to chip in and say something whether it adds to what's going on or not. I couldn't take it. It's so boring I couldn't get past a few hours of it. I kept finding myself shouting at the t.v. for everyone to just finally shut the fuck up and let me play. Possibly the most overhyped game I have ever played.

Salz01

This game bores me to tears. Was way overhyped. Such a slog to play through. In no way is this in the same league as Half Life.

Dorohedoro

Exodus was nothing special. Very few interesting characters, level design overall was mediocre, some of the levels like the Caspian Sea were a complete chore, and I especially concur with the complaints about the dialogue. Really didn't need every motherfucker to tell me their life story and if you're gonna have characters that have more lines than Geralt in TW3 then at least let your own character actually respond but for some inexplicable reason Artyom remains a mute even though he talks during cutscenes just like in past games.

Buggy Loop

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Some opinions are not worth sharing.

Played Metro exodus EE pretty much only for the graphics. The dialogues and story were trash. End levels were trash too. Stalker is way better than this, even the original.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel the physics of Half Life give it a huge advantage. Being able to maneuver the way you do, smack a box or a wall with a crow bar for 10 minutes, it all adds up to make a very wholesome experience. I thought Last Lite was better than Exodus. Too much drama, too much driving to empty locations, and that sense of discovery took a hit. Half Life has a very good engine and it makes scaling objects and gun fights very satisfying. Even the audio of the gun fire in Half Life 2 is excellent. The source engine followed by the science fiction behind Gordon’s mission all come together quite well. I can’t tell you squat about Exodus except the train level was cool.

Top Bottom