• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

False "saving" with switching to PC

Gbraga

Because I think most exclusives are not worth my time, had to drop BB after 2,5h because of the 30fps lock and frame pacing issues even though I adored the aesthetic and atmosphere (as a souls game it was piss easy).

I'll probably get a ps4 when we are a year or so away from the next sony console and just catch up then like I did with the PS3. That's my answer to why not both.

Fair enough, though I meant it more as in coexisting than actually thinking anyone should buy both. That'd be absurd to suggest.

It's just that I read your reasons, and they're perfectly fine, but to me those are reasons why you don't want a PS4, not reasons to waste time internet fighting about each platform is superior.

Not many people here are arguing that one side doesn't deserve to exist. I also own a PS4, Wii U, PS3, X360, and Vita. It's precisely because I own all these consoles that I know that PC offers the best value on its software by a large margin.

And I know that was your point in the rest of your post, just wanted to make a point.

I suppose you're right, it's definitely a small amount of people who go this dumb route, but it always bothers me a lot. I shouldn't care so much about people making fools out of themselves...

Steel

Banned
I guess "why not both" would be my point for the inevitable "pc vs consoles" discussion that these threads always turn into.

Not many people here are arguing that one side doesn't deserve to exist. I also own a PS4, Wii U, PS3, X360, and Vita. It's precisely because I own all these consoles that I know that PC offers the best value on its software by a large margin.

And I know that was your point in the rest of your post, just wanted to make a point.

massoluk

Banned
Aside from the fact that there are also other advantages aside from prices in buying PC games (backward compatibility, better graphics, online connectivity, etc.), the OP is kinda loaded.

"How is going PC for videogames save money, but first:
1. Let's not count cheap third party sellers.
2. Let's not count all those sales."

Uh....

Mifec

Fair enough, though I meant it more as in coexisting than actually thinking anyone should buy both. That'd be absurd to suggest.

It's just that I read your reasons, and they're perfectly fine, but to me those are reasons why you don't want a PS4, not reasons to waste time internet fighting about each platform is superior.

Oh well I don't think this thread should ever have devolved into that but you know how it goes.

I do agree that PC is objectively cheaper in the long run and that the OP is kinda misguided, to get back on topic.

You don't need a fake family anymore

Sorry already married but my wife doesn't play videogames. LOL

Note to self: "once I have kids force them to play videogames and send off to paid employment ASAP"

You choose to, and that it perfectly fine. But you can in fact get a similar service for less than the aforementioned $10 is my point.

Not really. Unless I add strangers to my "extended family" on Steam (which I don't think is worth the hassle). I don't have any friends/family who play that many videogames.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because I think most exclusives are not worth my time, had to drop BB after 2,5h because of the 30fps lock and frame pacing issues even though I adored the aesthetic and atmosphere (as a souls game it was piss easy).

I'll probably get a ps4 when we are a year or so away from the next sony console and just catch up then like I did with the PS3. That's my answer to why not both.

Fair enough. Bloodborne is in my top 3 games of the year, easily, and I won't let relatively poor performance stop me from playing an amazing game if it's only available as one version, personally. Also, I wouldn't judge the game's difficulty after playing just 2.5 hours...

Well you can also resell your full priced games if choose too, Also alot of people, Myself included rent games( Boomerang rentals) which saved me a ton of money.

People pay subs for MOBA's and games like wow so the argument paying for ps+ and xboxlive is mute.

I think it depends on the gamer and how many games they feel the need to play.

Armaros

Well you can also resell your full priced games if choose too, Also alot of people, Myself included rent games( Boomerang rentals) which saved me a ton of money.

People pay subs for MOBA's and games like wow so the argument paying for ps+ and xboxlive is mute.

I think it depends on the gamer and how many games they feel the need to play.

Please show me this subscription based moba, and Games like wow are on console it's called FFXIV and console users still have to pay a sub for it. So your arguments are very much wrong.

ViolentP

Not really. Unless I add strangers to my "extended family" on Steam. I don't have any friends/family who play that many videogames.

Your inaccessibility at this juncture is irrelevant to the fact that a service such as Gamefly could absolutely be attained at a price much lower than what you believed possible. If it was something you wanted, you could have it. You don't, that's cool. But participation does not dictate its actuality.

Please show me this subscription based moba, and Games like wow are on console it's called FFXIV and console users still have to pay a sub for it.

Might have moba's confused with other MMO's or summat, My bad. Not big on PC gaming at all.

Well people pay over a grand for a ship in star citizen.

pr0cs

Go to reddit and get legit win 10 keys for like 20-30$
And this is legitimate and the keys don't expire.. Find that hard to believe
Either way the cost is still there but for some reason always left out when comparing costs of pc vs console

Hypron

And this is legitimate and the keys don't expire.. Find that hard to believe
Either way the cost is still there but for some reason always left out when comparing costs of pc vs console

They are probably keys from the msdn university program. They don't expire (but I wouldn't call it legit).

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Why bring up the tens of people buying a 1k ship (or more likely having a large amount of disposable income that they want to put into a game they want made getting more funding) here and how will it help your point?

joecanada

Even without an SSD, on windows 10 my computer starts in <30s. Additionally, are you aware that computers have been capable of this thing called stand-by far longer than home consoles? We call it hibernate.

30 seconds!! Eternity!

:) yes, yes of course, ... I wasn't debating that ps4 is faster I just was thinking about it and rest mode really does work great.

Why bring up the tens of people buying a 1k ship (or more likely having a large amount of disposable income that they want to put into a game they want made getting more funding) here and how will it help your point?

Well cherry picking one game like FFXI is the same as saying about Star Citizen.

chekhonte

It works exceptionally well.

except that if you have the disc eject problem, your disc is going to get ejected while it's in the rest state. If that happens, then the ps4 turns back on. If you have it in a cabinet with the door closed it's going to endure a lot of heat until the auto turn off engages.

Hypron

30 seconds!! Eternity!

:) yes, yes of course, ... I wasn't debating that ps4 is faster I just was thinking about it and rest mode really does work great.

Yeah it's true that rest mode is very practical. Probably one of the best features of the PS4.

But still, my PC boots faster than my monitor too and all the parts apart from the cheap SSD I put in it last year are from 2009 lol.

That much is clear from your posts in PC threads. You know next to nothing about PC gaming.

Next thing you will tell us is that we need twice the GPU power to match consoles.

You couldn't be any more wrong, PC gamers say you can build a PC like lego and dont need to know anything about building at all etc and can play straight from Big picture mode without ease, So what does " know next to nothing about PC gaming " actually imply if it's straight forward? Clearly noone needs to know anything if its as simple as plug it in a TV and away you go.

PC gaming is actually way cheaper because you can be a homeless guy with a laptop, recharge at libraries and only buy your games on Steam during Steam sales.

If console gaming is so cheap, you'd be able to do it without a house, furniture and TV. I estimate that console gaming costs at least $1000 a month on average.

ViolentP

except that if you have the disc eject problem, your disc is going to get ejected while it's in the rest state. If that happens, then the ps4 turns back on. If you have it in a cabinet with the door closed it's going to endure a lot of heat until the auto turn off engages.

That sucks, for sure. But as with any defective piece of equipment, you don't gauge in its damaged state.

Your inaccessibility at this juncture is irrelevant to the fact that a service such as Gamefly could absolutely be attained at a price much lower than what you believed possible. If it was something you wanted, you could have it. You don't, that's cool. But participation does not dictate its actuality.

Not sure what we arguing about here. Anything is possible. I could walk on the street and find a piece if paper with Steam press account. Or I could work in Gamestop and figure out a way to get games almost for free. I can only say what is possible for me. I can't talk about other people, but I wouldn't find it shocking that other people don't have family members who pay a lot of videogames. And if they did it wouldn't have anything to do with PC vs console gaming argument. We could as easily chip in few $$ and buy few copies of videogame to share.

You do know that only one user at a time can access a shared library, right?

Wait... What? Then it's nothing like rental. When renting, I can control when I can play the game. That's pretty big deal... :)

Hektor

Subscription based MOBA's do not exist and subscription based MMO's are a rarity among thousands of pcgames that can be played without any online fee whatsoever, whereas paying psplus is mandatory to every multiplayerbased game on the playstation 4, even those that work via peer 2 peer. No, it really is not mute.

Which is completely optional and therefore absolutely irrelevant to any form of intelligent discussion about this topic, lowest entry point has been 20$.

You couldn't be any more wrong, PC gamers say you can build a PC like lego and dont need to know anything about building at all etc and can play straight from Big picture mode without ease, So what does " know next to nothing about PC gaming " actually imply if it's straight forward? Clearly noone needs to know anything if its as simple as plug it in a TV and away you go.

You missed his point so hard, you ran one time around the entire earth and are standing right next to him again.

Kezen

Banned

PC gamers are not a monolithic group, there are many sensibilities. I'm of the opinion that this is a platform with a significant learning curve. I can't speak for the people who told you it was that simple but they may have underestimated how unsettling it can be at times at the beginning of the journey.
Also you post ignores that "knowing" things about PC gaming goes further than the act of building, it's a culture, a different platform with its unwritten rules and trends. I was not alluding to the knowledge of merely building a PC which is indeed very simple, but what has been around in PC gaming for instance, and the vast diversity both in games and in gamer profiles.

It's okay not to have any interest in the platform but you should do a better job of being willfully ignorant. You come across as desperately fishing for attention, that's sad to be honest.

joecanada

Yeah it's true that rest mode is very practical. Probably one of the best features of the PS4.

But still, my PC boots faster than my monitor too and all the parts apart from the cheap SSD I put in it last year are from 2009 lol.

thats what I'm saying its these fucking tv's and monitors... we need to band together and attack the samsungs of the world, lol.

I want a tv that turns on in <2 seconds or we riot

ViolentP

Not sure what we arguing about here. Anything is possible. I could walk on the street and find a piece if paper with Steam press account. Or I could work in Gamestop and figure out a way to get games almost for free. I can only say what is possible for me. I can't talk about other people, but I wouldn't find it shocking that other people don't have family members who pay a lot of videogames. And if they did it wouldn't have anything to do with PC vs console gaming argument. We could as easily chip in few $$ and buy few copies of videogame to share.

We're not arguing. Far from it the way I see it. I respect the decision you made because its whats right for you. Just capitalizing on the opportunity to divulge details of a platform I am familiar with is all. Just as you are to myself.

Wait... What? Then it's nothing like rental. When renting, I can control when I can play the game. That's pretty big deal... :)
Unless of course, it's unavailable at the time. As was my experience in the past with the service.

Usually when someone mentions the cost savings of PC gaming they're talking to enthusiasts like us, not the millions of people who buy two or three games a year.

If you spend time on a gaming enthusiast forum and are an active gamer, then chances are the cost saving would be a benefit to you.

PC gamers are not a monolithic group, there are many sensibilities. I'm of the opinion that this is a platform with a significant learning curve. I can't speak for the people who told you it was that simple but they may have underestimated how unsettling it can be at times at the beginning of the journey.
Also you post ignores that "knowing" things about PC gaming goes further than the act of building, it's a culture, a different platform with its unwritten rules and trends.

I was just answering the " knowing nothing about PC gaming "... And my cousin makes his living building rigs, So he bores me to death enough with it all so i know it's not as simple as plug/play.

I know enough to know that the PC gamers i know in person treat there rigs like baby's, Nurturing it until it's stable, Wont have a bad word said against it etc. And why not when the investment they put into them warrants such affection.

But all they do is have these monster rigs, Run the latest game at it's highest setting etc, Just to see if they can, Then never play the game again and go back to football manager.

Hektor

I was just answering the " knowing nothing about PC gaming "... And my cousin makes his living building rigs, So he bores me to death enough with it all so i know it's not as simple as plug/play.

I know enough to know that the PC gamers i know in person treat there rigs like baby's, Nurturing it until it's stable, Wont have a bad word said against it etc. And why not when the investment they put into them warrants such affection.

But all they do is have these monster rigs, Run the latest game at it's highest setting etc, Just to see if they can, Then never play the game again and go back to football manager.

1353.gif

Kezen

Banned
Nothing worth doing is easy, and once again I was not referring to that at all. It seems to me that you know nothing about PC gaming as a platform, and at the risk of repeating myself there is nothing inherently wrong about this. One only has so much time to allocate after all.

Funny, I know many console gamers equally insecure about their platform of choice, to the extent of being irritated by objective, cold comparisons of multiplatform games.
You probably don't know what I'm talking about I'm sure. ;)

Well to each his own. I know many console gamers playing COD and very little else.
No problem with that at all.
I don't judge.

Bragging about horsepower is not even a PC exclusive.

T.E.D

Banned

You sound a bit salty here.

Do you want to talk about it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You passing around your game rentals?

The guy was offering to add people to his family plan for $11 a month.

Seems kind of dumb to more or less give up 24/7 access to your account for a measly $11 a month.

We can close this thread now, I don't see anyone topping this lol-worthy post anytime soon.

Nothing worth doing is easy, and once again I was not referring to that at all. It seems to me that you know nothing about PC gaming as a platform, and at the risk of repeating myself there is nothing inherently wrong about this. One only has so much time to allocate after all..

I had a gaming laptop ( GT640M, i5, 4gb ) It wasnt the greatest but i overclocked it and i could get it to run games better then the 360/ps3 era. I had steam etc, Some games didnt work with controller support like ME, DAO...i tried the pinnacle support option at the time but that was just buggy as hell. I had the laptop 2 years and a month ago the motherboard frazzled on me, Took it too repairs the guy said would cost about 170 to fix with manual labor etc. Only had the thing 2 years so i think it's fairly bold to state once again i know nothing about PC gaming as a platform when all i did was confuse MOBAS with MMO.

Kezen

Banned
I had a gaming laptop ( GT640M, i5, 4gb ) It wasnt the greatest but i overclocked it and i could get it to run games better then the 360/ps3 era. I had steam etc, Some games didnt work with controller support like ME, DAO...i tried the pinnacle support option at the time but that was just buggy as hell. I had the laptop 2 years and a month ago the motherboard frazzled on me, Took it too repairs the guy said would cost about 170 to fix with manual labor etc. Only had the thing 2 years so i think it's fairly bold to state once again i know nothing about PC gaming as a platform when all i did was confuse MOBAS with MMO.
I'm sorry that your laptop failed you but sadly I can think of way too many similar cases over the years. Gaming laptops are usually not recommended.
That does not make your previous posts in this thread any more level-headed however : generalities and stereotypes.

Gaming grade PC is expensive but it evens out in the long run because the games are cheaper and the experience much better. It's not even funny how much better it is in performance, mods and customizability in both hardware and software.

ViolentP

The guy was offering to add people to his family plan for $11 a month.

Seems kind of dumb to more or less give up 24/7 access to your account for a measly $11 a month.

A bad investment in that context for sure. But I am certain there is enough wiggle room to potentially provide benefit to both parties involved.

UnrealEck

PS+ is a toll booth barring your entry to online gaming. It's not the same as a single game's sub fee.
If WoW was on PS4, you'd be paying for PS+ and a sub fee for the game.

cyress8

Banned
Sounds odd that you would even stay around watching someone build a computer at work. A ton of shit is boring just watching it. Why not help him put a couple together and bring out the handyman in your soul. It will relieve the boredom.

Yep, I treat my PC like all other pieces of electronics, with tender, loving care. I want it to last a long time. I give family members my handme downs whenever I upgrade my PC. Hell, the computer at my families business is my old gaming PC from years ago. Has a i7 920 and a nvidia 470 in it. Still running like a beast and the kids can play some games on it whenever they come by.

Stop lumping us into the same hole. Only thing I do is play at the highest setting, and drop some settings for smooth 60fps. I take no more than 10-15 minutes setting a game up to my tastes and play until the game bores me or I beat it.

Top Bottom