• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

False "saving" with switching to PC

T.E.D

Banned
You save because the games don't work properly, you give up trying and end up watching netflix.

Why waste 2 hours tweaking settings when you could watch a movie?

no-nope-Jerry-Seinfeld-Seinfeld-GIF.gif

inner-G

Banned
Besides only being available in America, as noted above, Best Buy charges tax, which really makes it $52 in most states. Steam doesn't charge tax in most states, and as everybody else has mentioned in this thread, oftentimes AAA pre-orders will be much cheaper than $52. Hell, I remember MGSV going for $35 before release due to nVidia promotions.
Ok, it's $52 with tax

Better than a full-priced $65.86 game

Plus, you retain trade in value with a physical copy

You save because the games don't work properly, you give up trying and end up watching netflix.

Why waste 2 hours tweaking settings when you could watch a movie?

Consoles save more money, as you try watching a movie on Netflix but can't because PSN/Live is down, so you just cancel your subscription.

joecanada

I get what you say in your post, but this... Isn't true anymore. You don't need to install an anti-virus since Windows 8 and a PC with an SSD will boot faster than a console.

thats good yes, i noticed that with windows 10, however I just have to say that rest mode in ps4 is unreal and works exactly as intended...

I am in a game before my tv even turns on.... so it's the tv!! I hate gaming on tv's now I've decided...

eidt - also just to be an ass ;) doesn't mentioning an SSD also bring money back into the picture?

I'm confused about the lingo regarding AA and AAA.

We need more clear standards. on this. From official sources it says that a AAA game has to either have commercial or critical success post launch, but there are lots of games that are received well that sold poorly, I wouldn't call AAA games.
I always saw AAA games as something with a very large budget (80+ million + equal that in marketing, like Witcher 3, or much higher with games like GTA5) or something that sells 10+ million units like Assassins Creed Black Flag, Call of Duty, GTA and so on.

Is Overwatch AAA? The game has a polish and has garnished a following with lots of marketing and press talk. That game is 40 on PC, 60 on consoles. It's not new for Valve/Blizzard to give better deals to the PC. Hench why many fanboys are on that platform<.<

Nyoro SF

This thread turned out to be fucking hilarious. So many insane posts. I'm loving it.

It only took a few pages before they started coming out of the woodwork.... lol

I will admit I haven't seen the "PC gamers have no free time" post in ages though

ViolentP

I'm a PC guy first, but I'm part of no "master race". I know why I prefer the PC and I'm confident in my decision enough to not have to validate it by shitting on someones differing preference. I expect the same respect from my console brethren. All of you who can't enjoy what you enjoy without trying to devalue an opposing opinion are the actual problem. It's not your details of platform superiority that resonate, it's your ignorance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, you can save money, but it's certainly not guaranteed.

I'm very passionate about games, so I know I would be spending a ton more on software if I didn't buy most of my games on PC.

Am I buying more games as a result of owning a PC? Perhaps, but the fact remains that I'm getting most multiplat games for cheaper than if I didn't own a PC.

Grief.exe

I'm a PC guy first, but I'm part of no "master race".

Fun fact: a very small minority are in that group yet it gets a lot of discussion due to the amount of noise they tend to make.

Around GAF, the majority of its use is seen as a derogatory mark against PC gamers in general.

PC people get so defensive... I prefer to play games close to release date, so console gaming is much cheaper for me. I rent 99% of everything that I play and it's awesome!

ViolentP

Fun fact: a very small minority are in that group yet it gets a lot of discussion due to the amount of noise they tend to make.

Around GAF, the majority of its use is seen as a derogatory mark against PC gamers in general.

That's probably because the term fanboy is bannable whereas master race has not yet been blacklisted. But I assure both parties have their blind soldiers.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm confused about the lingo regarding AA and AAA.

We need more clear standards. on this. From official sources it says that a AAA game has to either have commercial or critical success post launch, but there are lots of games that are received well that sold poorly, I wouldn't call AAA games.
I always saw AAA games as something with a very large budget (80+ million + equal that in marketing, like Witcher 3, or much higher with games like GTA5) or something that sells 10+ million units like Assassins Creed Black Flag, Call of Duty, GTA and so on.

Is Overwatch AAA? The game has a polish and has garnished a following with lots of marketing and press talk. That game is 40 on PC, 60 on consoles. It's not new for Valve/Blizzard to give better deals to the PC. Hench why many fanboys are on that platform<.<

AA = Anti-Aliasing

AAA = Awesome Anti-Aliasing

Or something like that :p

You missed the part where he said he rents almost all of the games he plays... Hard to get cheaper than that.

Well, in some countries, renting video games is illegal. So... there's that.

Gamefly membership costs me about $13 a month and I rent about 4 games a month. How can PC even remotely match that?

Well, you could still buy your game on Steam and refund it before the 2 hours limit. So it's even cheaper :D
I kid, I kid of course. But then again, renting isn't the same as buying. I mean at this point, you could also borrowing games from a friend is even cheaper.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You'd be surprised......

No, I don't think I would.

You're not going to beat the $10 or whatever it costs to rent a game for a couple of days at release with a PC game sale. Even the shadiest CD key sites aren't that cheap.

ViolentP

Gamefly membership costs me about $13 a month and I rent about 4 games a month. How can PC even remotely match that?

Hooboy.

No, I don't think I would.

You're not going to beat the $10 or whatever it costs to rent a game for a couple of days at release with a PC game sale. Even the shadiest CD key sites aren't that cheap.

You guys want to talk temporary access to games? How about I let you family share my Steam library for a year? Won't cost you a dime either.

Grief.exe

Can't, that is one of the major advantages of console gaming.

One of the things I really like about such a system is picking up a game used or renting doesn't provide any revenue to a publisher you don't want to support. Where as with PC you are stuck with piracy or not supporting the publisher at all, which is my preferred route.

Personally, if I don't want to own the game permanently then I must not care enough about the game in the first place.

Well, you could still buy your game on Steam and refund it before the 2 hours limit. So it's even cheaper :D
I kid, I kid of course. But then again, renting isn't the same as buying. I mean at this point, you could also borrowing games from a friend is even cheaper.

The way I play games I learned that it's pointless for me to buy them. Don't get me wrong if I really like something I will buy it regardless (i.e. Uncharted), but most of the time I don't go back to games.

Which is the point. Even on day one, PC games are cheaper.
Not really, if you're the type of person who beats the game within the first month and sells it, console gaming is way cheaper. Most of the time, you can recoup 70% of your initial cost by selling it on Kijiji. In the long run, it ends up being cheaper.

As someone who owns a gaming pc, I agree with the op premise of false savings. You don't really save much at all. Gaming on pc for those that only play AAA games is a bad idea. I know people who only purchase 3-4 games every year and gaming on pc would just be more expensive for them over the generation.

Barzul

I'm a PC gamer because you simply get better fidelity, faster patches and access to more types of games and input methods on the platform. It's also scalable and offers flexibility that consoles will probably never match. Cheaper games benefit are just a nice side effect given the cost of high end builds.

Can't, that is one of the major advantages of console gaming.

One of the things I really like about such a system is picking up a game used or renting doesn't provide any revenue to a publisher you don't want to support. Where as with PC you are stuck with piracy or not supporting the publisher at all, which is my preferred route.

Personally, if I don't want to own the game permanently then I must not care enough about the game in the first place.

I don't agree first half of your argument. The person who trades in the game paid full price for it (lets say $60). The fact that they trade it in means that they didn't think the game deserved to cost $60 (they gave developers more money than they should have). So they trade it in and get $$ to support another developer. People who buy used game still cover a huge chunk of the cost that will ultimately go to the developer. They just don't think that the game is worth $60. It's free market at work and I think it's very reasonable to rent games/ buy used games. The person who bought used game would be spending $0 in other scenario and not playing anything.

I agree with you sentiment that not spending $60 on a game probably means that you don't really want to play it... But that's separate argument. It's more of a quantity vs quality issue...

Tenck

You buy the game with nearly zero replay value?

Some of us don't like replaying games that often.

Witcher 3 is my GotY and I love the DLC. I'll never replay it though. The game is long, I've got my time out of the main story + side quests, and I loved every minute. The choices I made were ones I felt Geralt would do, and I wouldn't change that in my second playthrough.

You buy the game with nearly zero replay value?

Yup, and I will rent Gall of Duty. I replayed Uncharted about 5 times and I haven't "prestiged" Call of Duty since Black Ops 1. I used to think that I will play call of duty more, but over the past few years I realized that I play it for 3 weeks and never come back.

pislit

Can you marry me so that I'll be have my American citizenship so that I can finally become a member of Gamefly? If you are a man, that's not a problem cause gay marriage is legal there.

T.E.D

Banned
Can you marry me so that I'll be have my American citizenship so that I can finally become a member of Gamefly? If you are a man, that's not a problem cause gay marriage is legal there.

You're looking to rent a videogame, not claim welfare. Why would you need to get married? Where are you from? :p

Steel

Banned
thats good yes, i noticed that with windows 10, however I just have to say that rest mode in ps4 is unreal and works exactly as intended...

I am in a game before my tv even turns on.... so it's the tv!! I hate gaming on tv's now I've decided...

eidt - also just to be an ass ;) doesn't mentioning an SSD also bring money back into the picture?

Even without an SSD, on windows 10 my computer starts in <30s. Additionally, are you aware that computers have been capable of this thing called stand-by far longer than home consoles? We call it hibernate.

Yup, Gamefly is pretty awesome. You need to micromanage it a bit to get new releases, but nothing crazy. Not even sure what I would do without Gamefly... Probably just play less games...

Gbraga

You do save money on games, because of many different reasons. For example, regional pricing means that most of the time I'll be saving money even buying only from Steam, because taxes make it impossible for physical games to compete with digital PC games. There are exceptions, where it's just as expensive, but most of the times I'll be paying less.

But that's not really the main reason I like the platform. If the prices were the same, I'd still have the PC as my main gaming platform because of things like backwards compatibility and how games can scale with better hardware when you upgrade.

For example, I built my current PC in 2012, and I'm pretty sure I've spent more money on it than my PS4 cost me. But there wasn't a PS4 back then. I built this PC mostly to play PS3 games with better performance. When the PS4 came out, without changing a single part and spending a single extra cent, I had a machine capable of playing both PS3 and PS4 games better than their console counterparts. That's already value in my opinion. And the moment I feel like I want better performance (and can afford it, of course), I can do that. Like, right now, I can get performance for my money according to what I'm looking for.

Another silly example would be that I used to be annoyed that PC games never had good framepacing with in-game 30fps locks, and I had to fix it myself, but having to deal with it since march in Bloodborne with no hope that it'll ever get fixed, despite the community's constant begging, really made me rethink that, and now I'm glad I can spend 3 minutes setting up RTSS and Inspector to fix it myself. So how open and customizable the platform is also definitely plays a large part in my preference.

That being said, liking console games as much as I do, especially japanese games, I also love playing on consoles, and will always have at least one to go with my PC. I prefer playing on PC when it's available there, but when it isn't, I just can't pass on Bloodborne or Persona 5. Currently own a Vita, a PS3 and a PS4 and I really enjoy them, even if most of my gaming is done on PC.

I guess "why not both" would be my point for the inevitable "pc vs consoles" discussion that these threads always turn into.

You guys want to talk temporary access to games? How about I let you family share my Steam library for a year? Won't cost you a dime either.

That's such a weird statement... Sure if I had huge family who all played games Steam would be an awesome deal. Renting is sort of like that. They just "create" a fake family for you :)

Mifec

I guess "why not both" would be my point for the inevitable "pc vs consoles" discussion that these threads always turn into.

Because I think most exclusives are not worth my time, had to drop BB after 2,5h because of the 30fps lock and frame pacing issues even though I adored the aesthetic and atmosphere (as a souls game it was piss easy).

I'll probably get a ps4 when we are a year or so away from the next sony console and just catch up then like I did with the PS3. That's my answer to why not both.

Top Bottom