• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

FrankWza

Gold Member
Xbox One X had either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision (can't remember which one) support only for games, but not for movies.

Something similar could happen with PS5 but the other way around.

thats 2 completely different technologies from Dolby. It didn’t have Dolby vision though

FrankWza

Gold Member
This will be fantastic.

Also, didn't know GAF had so many sound tech engineers.😏

there was another thread recently where the amount of misinformation was so far greater than the amount of accurate and informed information. And the best is when it’s stated as fact. Meanwhile, someone may make a decision based on that bad information and waste their time and money. Rough

FrankWza

Gold Member
So my platinum and silver headsets are rendered useless for this?? 😑😑😑

not useless. Either the USB adapter they come with will cover you for sending tempest wirelessly or you’ll have to plug them into the dualsense controller with a 3.5 cable. I know you’d probably prefer wireless and it’s not 100% but based on the blog description I think you’ll be covered

Audiophile

I do believe the PS4 supports most USB DACs, so hopefully the PS5 does too. If it does, I'll probably use my "portable" setup: Fiio Q1 ii + Cayin C5 Headphone Amp > Sennheiser HD 380 Pros Might be a touch messy, but for me Quality > Convenience.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe it has Dolby vision though. Not 100% yet or if that can even be patched in.

I'd be surprised if that's not in there for movies either. Same reason, Sony already license their BD players with Dolby Vision and produce some UHD 4K discs with it. Plus again, Netflix uses Dolby Vision.

iorek21

I'm thinking of buying this new PULSE3D headphone, but I've read a lot of bad stuff from Playstation headphones.

Should I risk it and buy one?

Reallink

Xbox One X had either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision (can't remember which one) support only for games, but not for movies.

Something similar could happen with PS5 but the other way around.

Xbone X was eventually updated to support Atmos for both games and movies. Even some standard Blurays have Atmos tracks (not just UHD discs), Xbone X plays them fine.

Last edited:

Reallink

I don't know. I can't find any articles confirming or denying it.
Won't devs doing Atmos for Xbox be able to use Tempest on ps5 for the same result?
If that's the case, it makes sense to not having to pay a license for it.

For the headphone component yes, Atmos headphone should be pretty easy to port over to Tempest (and vice versa). For the surround sound Home Theater component, no. The open format Sony will presumably have to use (multichannel PCM) can not access physical height channels like Atmos, it maxes out at 7 channels + sub. PS5's 3D home theater solution is objectively inferior to Series X, and that's assuming they get it working at all. If they've pushed 2.0 well past launch, their 6.1 or 7.1 update is for sure a long ways off.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Any stereo headset or stereo headphones that can be connected to the console via USB (Wireless Dongle or Wired) or to the controller via the 3.5mm audio jack.

Make sure all processing such as "virtual surround" or fake "3d audio" are turned off.
Hmm I wonder how the Platinum will sound :goog_unsure:

Justin9mm

I'll be using headphones but what I can't find out is:

What is the difference of just using my AKG compared to the Pulse headset? All the processing is done inside the console and chipset right? Is it just the extra stuff like noise cancelling, convenience buttons and dual mics you're paying for?
I'm almost certain its just a new better headset to replace the Golds, going by their information, the effect will be the same as using your stereo AKG headphones. Although I would say their Pulse headset with the USB dongle is slightly more optimised. I think you can manually calibrate the settings to your hearing. Also, you would have to plug yours into the controller jack which probably drains controller power and probably doesn't output the same higher level of quality then connecting through bluetooth to USB dongle with Pulse

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
I do believe the PS4 supports most USB DACs, so hopefully the PS5 does too. If it does, I'll probably use my "portable" setup: Fiio Q1 ii + Cayin C5 Headphone Amp > Sennheiser HD 380 Pros Might be a touch messy, but for me Quality > Convenience.

I'd be surprised if that's not in there for movies either. Same reason, Sony already license their BD players with Dolby Vision and produce some UHD 4K discs with it. Plus again, Netflix uses Dolby Vision.

they do, but if the device you’re using doesn’t support it it doesn’t matter. I’m wondering, can Sony just firmware Dolby vision in or is it a chip? They make 4K blu ray players that support it,yes, but they also have 4kblu ray players that don’t. I’m hoping it does have DV
For the headphone component yes, Atmos headphone should be pretty easy to port over to Tempest (and vice versa). For the surround sound Home Theater component, no. The open format Sony will presumably have to use (multichannel PCM) can not access physical height channels like Atmos, it maxes out at 7 channels + sub. PS5's 3D home theater solution is objectively inferior to Series X, and that's assuming they get it working at all. If they've pushed 2.0 well past launch, their 6.1 or 7.1 update is for sure a long ways off.

I’m not sure if you’re wording this or I’m reading this wrong but there nothing to port here. Sony made tempest as there own solution to atmos. Not to complement it or convert Dolby to temp

Hmm I wonder how the Platinum will sound :goog_unsure:
I would guess the platinum headset will sound better than these pulse 3d. Pulse 3d is a $99 headset and the platinum is what, $159.99? I think the pulse is just a way to make things simple for people at a good price point and a matching aesthetic. The best solution, as always is using your own headphones Either with a USB adapter or plugged into the dualsense.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I'm almost certain its just a new better headset to replace the Golds, going by their information, the effect will be the same as using your stereo AKG headphones. Although I would say their Pulse headset with the USB dongle is slightly more optimised. I think you can manually calibrate the settings to your hearing. Also, you would have to plug yours into the controller jack which probably drains controller power and probably doesn't output the same higher level of quality then connecting through bluetooth to USB dongle with Pulse

I think it will beon par with the golds and under the platinum. To me, having headphones or a headset that fits your ears properly is just as important as any factor here.The pulse, gold or platinum are a one size fits all solution. But everyone has a different sized head/ears and all. If I was asked I would recommend getting your own headphones unless the Sony selections fit you perfectly or if you have to be completely wireless and not even tethered to your controller.

Audiophile

they do, but if the device you’re using doesn’t support it it doesn’t matter. I’m wondering, can Sony just firmware Dolby vision in or is it a chip? They make 4K blu ray players that support it,yes, but they also have 4kblu ray players that don’t. I’m hoping it does have DV

Oh I'm aware it'll just fall back to HDR10 if not supported, but it'd be bizarre to release a premium device with multimedia capabilities that can't do DV when they already license it for the same functionality in most of their other devices. Only Sony's lowest spec UHD player doesn't support DV. All the others either released with it, got a firmware update or got a new hardware revision (X800 M2 for eg.) to support it.

It's my understanding that Dolby Vision required a dedicated chip to begin with, but Dolby changed this and now it's just a case of a firmware update as long as the existing chipset has the power to support it (PS5 would be fine).

I absolutely expect Dolby Atmos to be there day one for Blu-ray/Streaming; and I see absolutely no reason technical reason for Dolby Vision to be absent for the same purpose. The only reason would be Sony skimping on licensing.

I wanna clear some space and get rid of my 4K UHD BD player; and have the PS5 take its place, so I really hope Dolby Vision is in there. A few films I own which are very rich in film grain feature Dolby Vision FEL which reconstructs a 12-Bit 4:2:2 image from the metadata and passes it to the TV. The better chroma-subsampling makes for a natural, more organic film grain whereas the HDR10 layer with 4:2:0 can sometimes cause really chromatic, digital noise-like appearance instead.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
It's my understanding that Dolby Vision required a dedicated chip to begin with, but Dolby changed this and now it's just a case of a firmware update as long as the existing chipset has the power to support it (PS5 would be fine).

I absolutely expect Dolby Atmos to be there day one for Blu-ray/Streaming; and I see absolutely no reason technical reason for Dolby Vision to be absent for the same purpose. The only reason would be Sony skimping on licensing.

I wanna clear some space and get rid of my 4K UHD BD player; and have the PS5 take its place, so I really hope Dolby Vision is in there.

I’m hoping too. But they haven’t communicated anything in any of the drive details yet. I wasn’t aware it was as easy as a firmware upgrade. It’s a phenomenal feature and an absolute difference maker. Even when it’s forced on Apple tv. I don’t match content and I find it adds pop to hbo max even. And I’m in the same boat with wanting this as a do everything. I’ll be going mid-gen upgrade anyway so I don’t mind taxing the drive on the ps5 with disc play.

MrFunSocks

Banned
To summarize, unlike Dolby Atmos and other somewhat similar solutions, you don't need any special hardware to enjoy 3D Audio on PS5.
You don't need special hardware to enjoy 3D audio through Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One either though.....

It really is amazing how such a high percentage of this forum just falls for sonys PR and marketing tricks time and time again. It's literally just 3D audio like Dolby Atmos, but it will be way behind Dolby Atmos because that's what Dolby do as a specialty, but people here think that the Xbox can't match it and that the audio is going to be some game changer lol. Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos are literally the same thing, but we've been using them on the Xbox One for years.

Last edited:

Reallink

I’m not sure if you’re wording this or I’m reading this wrong but there nothing to port here. Sony made tempest as there own solution to atmos. Not to complement it or convert Dolby to temp

The post I was quoting and responding to was asking if third party devs would be able to port their 3D audio work between Xbox and PS5.

You don't need special hardware to enjoy 3D audio through Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One either though.....

It really is amazing how such a high percentage of this forum just falls for sonys PR and marketing tricks time and time again. It's literally just 3D audio like Dolby Atmos, but it will be way behind Dolby Atmos because that's what Dolby do as a specialty, but people here think that the Xbox can't match it and that the audio is going to be some game changer lol. Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos are literally the same thing, but we've been using them on the Xbox One for years.

To be fair, I would actually say Sony's headphone implementation is going to be quite a ways ahead of Atmos and DTSX. PS5 is going to have multiple HRTF's to choose from (presumably with some sort of calibration process) and may even eventually support custom ones based on a picture of your ear. Atmos and DTSX headphone just supports a single generic "best average" HRTF that's probably a poor fit for your personal head/ears. Where PS5 is way behind Xbox is in Soundbar and especially Surround System support.

Last edited:

Tschumi

This was freaking discussed in depth in the Road to PS5 video.. Please don't frame this stuff as new info and give detractors a chance to reframe it

FrankWza

Gold Member
The post I was quoting and responding to was asking if third party devs would be able to port their 3D audio work between Xbox and PS5.

To be fair, I would actually say Sony's headphone implementation is going to be quite a ways ahead of Atmos and DTSX. PS5 is going to have multiple HRTF's to choose from (presumably with some sort of calibration process) and may even eventually support custom ones based on a picture of your ear. Atmos and DTSX headphone just supports a single generic "best average" HRTF that's probably a poor fit for your personal head/ears. Where PS5 is way behind Xbox is in Soundbar and especially Surround System support.

I missed that one. My bad. I agree about it being ahead when using headphones.

MrFunSocks

Banned

It might have a slight edge when using headphones sometimes. It’s not guaranteed. Again, Dolby Atmos works with headphones and has been on the Xbox one for years. I don’t think Sony have somehow cracked something magical with headphones that Dolby haven’t.

diffusionx

Gold Member

so why is Sony coding this half-baked shit instead of just licensing Atmos? Atmos has been on Xbox since 2018 and works with surround speakers fine.

MrFunSocks

Banned
so why is Sony coding this half-baked shit instead of just licensing Atmos? Atmos has been on Xbox since 2018 and works with surround speakers fine.
They don’t want to pay licensing is my guess, and they also know that by giving it some trendy name like “Tempest audio” their rabid fan base will eat it up and spread it as some amazing revolution, getting them press coverage and word of mouth. MS aren’t going to spruik 3D audio because it’s not new to them, they’ve had it for years.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What other reason do you think there is? They're not doing anything that Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic haven't already been doing since like 2018. It's literally the same thing but in house.

Last edited:

Reallink

I genuinely believe they're trying to make something better than Dolby/DTS with their headphone (selectable and/or custom HRTF) and 2.0 simulated surround implementations (possibly self calibrating with the controller's mic). I'm not at all convinced by their discrete surround implementation, it seems to be an afterthought trying to force square wheels on an F1 car (no physical height channels).

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
there was another thread recently where the amount of misinformation was so far greater than the amount of accurate and informed information. And the best is when it’s stated as fact. Meanwhile, someone may make a decision based on that bad information and waste their time and money. Rough

I think that's the goal of the people spreading the misinformation.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I get a kick out of people saying headphones are garbage, it tends to reveal a person who:
A) doesn't understand audio
B) is just looking to brag about thier surround system

I have both, both have a valid place in gaming. In the end, how many ears do we have again? You do realize the "surround" sound you hear from your 5.1 or 7.1, or atmos is really just recreating a sound field, again, for just your 2 ears?

I give sony props for taking headphone audio seriously.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I get a kick out of people saying headphones are garbage, it tends to reveal a person who:
A) doesn't understand audio
B) is just looking to brag about thier surround system

I have both, both have a valid place in gaming. In the end, how many ears do we have again? You do realize the "surround" sound you hear from your 5.1 or 7.1, or atmos is really just recreating a sound field, again, for just your 2 ears?

I give sony props for taking headphone audio seriously.
Microsoft have been taking headphone audio quality seriously for years though. Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos have been on the Xbox One for years. Why give sony props for being late to the party?

Surround sound from an actual 5.1 speaker setup is *much* better than virtual surround from a headset. That's not even debatable. Headsets have their place though, I use one for PUBG for example, but actually having the back left speaker play the footsteps when someone in the game is to your back left is better than stereo headsets trying to make it sound that way.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have no problem giving xbox props too, atmos headphone is quite good. I do personally enjoy my surround more, but every step we take towards 3d audio is a good one, and Sony has some good ideas here. I think eventually headphone surround will beat out regular surround.

Or we could just wire up the Elon musk brain mod, wire the thought of the actual sounds......ohhhhhhh, lol

cudiye

Pre ordered the damn thing but i just wanna see what comes in t box and the buttons associated with the product. Oh and the mic quality,

FrankWza

Gold Member
Microsoft have been taking headphone audio quality seriously for years though. Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos have been on the Xbox One for years. Why give sony props for being late to the party?

Surround sound from an actual 5.1 speaker setup is *much* better than virtual surround from a headset. That's not even debatable. Headsets have their place though, I use one for PUBG for example, but actually having the back left speaker play the footsteps when someone in the game is to your back left is better than stereo headsets trying to make it sound that way.

It’s not better for gaming. The only thing “stereo” about the headsets you mention is the fact they are 2 channel. You’re missing the point that processing is lacking on a sound bar or tv speakers but when it’s on your head and OVER your ears the virtual surround should be awesome and in some cases better than even a dedicated HT for GAMING. IF, you have a proper setup and the program/processing is up to task. And for positional audio your 5.1 setup won’t be better than virtual 3d surround using headphones. Unless you have some type of simulation cockpit and all the speakers are are surrounding in a small radius. Even then, you’re lacking height speakers. You’re lauding xbox for having atmos but you’re not even utilizing it with a 5.1 setup.

I think that's the goal of the people spreading the misinformation.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Does anyone know if this would include my apple in ears that I plug in using 3.5mm jack? Do these count as 'headphones'?

If it has a mic, it’s a headset. I know in the DS4 there were issues because of the 4 pole setup that Apple uses that caused issues with Mic not working properly. If you’re getting a PS5, Sony has done a lot of the legwork for you here. Spending a few bucks on a new headset will give you a better overall experience. Even if you prefer an IEM. Those throw in jobs aren’t great and never even include a mute switch.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s not better for gaming. The only thing “stereo” about the headsets you mention is the fact they are 2 channel. You’re missing the point that processing is lacking on a sound bar or tv speakers but when it’s on your head and OVER your ears the virtual surround should be awesome and in some cases better than even a dedicated HT for GAMING. IF, you have a proper setup and the program/processing is up to task. And for positional audio your 5.1 setup won’t be better than virtual 3d surround using headphones. Unless you have some type of simulation cockpit and all the speakers are are surrounding in a small radius. Even then, you’re lacking height speakers. You’re lauding xbox for having atmos but you’re not even utilizing it with a 5.1 setup.
5.1 absolutely is better than virtual surround sound on headphones, what type of crazy talk is this lol.

It might seem crazy but I can use headphones with Atmos sometimes and also use surround sound other times.

FrankWza

Gold Member
5.1 absolutely is better than virtual surround sound on headphones, what type of crazy talk is this lol.

It might seem crazy but I can use headphones with Atmos sometimes and also use surround sound other times.

Absolutely not better for gaming. Only way it would be comparable is the scenario I mentioned in a simulator where the speakers are in close proximity to the central listening position. That’s impossible in a traditional speaker setup.
And yes, you can and are using atmos for headphones. But when you use your 5.1 system, you are not getting atmos sound. It’s not possible . Unless you’re saying you’re just using 5.1 surround sound when you’re not using your headphones? But it’s not atmos.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Absolutely not better for gaming. Only way it would be comparable is the scenario I mentioned in a simulator where the speakers are in close proximity to the central listening position. That’s impossible in a traditional speaker setup.
And yes, you can and are using atmos for headphones. But when you use your 5.1 system, you are not getting atmos sound. It’s not possible . Unless you’re saying you’re just using 5.1 surround sound when you’re not using your headphones? But it’s not atmos.
Lol 5.1 absolutely is better for gaming than virtual surround sound. This is not up for debate.

I know that I’m not using Atmos when I’m using my surround sound system. I didn’t say I was.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Lol 5.1 absolutely is better for gaming than virtual surround sound. This is not up for debate.

I know that I’m not using Atmos when I’m using my surround sound system. I didn’t say I was.

First of all, we don’t even know what kind of 5.1 setup you have and what is driving it. So if you have an HTIB(then yes there absolutely is no debate)you can stop posting about this at all because I guarantee that it isn’t better than my headset setup. And second, if you have a traditional living room setup, it will not be better for gaming. You may enjoy it more. It may be louder, And you’ll definitely get better bass with a dedicated sub but that doesn’t matter because you don’t want too much bass for positional audio. But the headphones will be better for gaming. I don’t have any experience with atmos headphone app on Xbox so it’s entirely possible that is your weak link and why your headphone experience is lacking at this point. Maybe the games aren’t optimized for it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
First of all, we don’t even know what kind of 5.1 setup you have and what is driving it. So if you have an HTIB(then yes there absolutely is no debate)you can stop posting about this at all because I guarantee that it isn’t better than my headset setup. And second, if you have a traditional living room setup, it will not be better for gaming. You may enjoy it more. It may be louder, And you’ll definitely get better bass with a dedicated sub but that doesn’t matter because you don’t want too much bass for positional audio. But the headphones will be better for gaming. I don’t have any experience with atmos headphone app on Xbox so it’s entirely possible that is your weak link and why your headphone experience is lacking at this point. Maybe the games aren’t optimized for it.

Positional audio in a headset is not better if the positional data isn't accurate. Even then, depending on the setup the clarity of a headset would require an extremely expensive headset to match what you can do with a speaker. Getting decent positional audio will be far easier on a headset vs speakers in terms of cost but its possible on both. Trying to claim one is better than the other is going to be subjective as the amount of variables in extremely high.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Positional audio in a headset is not better if the positional data isn't accurate. Even then, depending on the setup the clarity of a headset would require an extremely expensive headset to match what you can do with a speaker. Getting decent positional audio will be far easier on a headset vs speakers in terms of cost but its possible on both. Trying to claim one is better than the other is going to be subjective as the amount of variables in extremely high.

This was most of what I said in my replies. But all things being equal, if you’re comparing mid range speaker setup to mid range headphones and so on, I’d say, given the proximity to your head and the fact that your ears are engulfed fully with over the ear headphones you’ll have more success with positional audio than a traditional home theater positioned setup. That’s why I brought up the race rig or cockpit simulation style setups where speakers are very near to your central position. And there’s little chance that a 5.1 setup could beat a headphone in the same price/quality range. There aren’t any height channels.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This was most of what I said in my replies. But all things being equal, if you’re comparing mid range speaker setup to mid range headphones and so on, I’d say, given the proximity to your head and the fact that your ears are engulfed fully with over the ear headphones you’ll have more success with positional audio than a traditional home theater positioned setup. That’s why I brought up the race rig or cockpit simulation style setups where speakers are very near to your central position. And there’s little chance that a 5.1 setup could beat a headphone in the same price/quality range. There aren’t any height channels.

I disagree with the notion that they speakers need to be near you for them to be as good as headphones. Obvioulsy its easier to set positions on a headset due to its on your skull vs a room but you dont need to be right next to a speaker for it to be clear and accurate.

If you want to compare just price sure, you will likley win, but I have never gotten pair of headphones to sound as clear as a proper 5.1.4 setup.

But even with all this in mind, its really going to depend on a game by game basis. If the game has crappy audio you a headset might be better for positional audio simply due to the mix being sub par with positional audio.

MW 2019 for instance sounds far better and more clear in Atmos than it does with Sonic or Atmos on my headset which does support atmos natively. I suspect part of this is having ore channels in general vs a HRTF algorithm.

If it has a mic, it’s a headset. I know in the DS4 there were issues because of the 4 pole setup that Apple uses that caused issues with Mic not working properly. If you’re getting a PS5, Sony has done a lot of the legwork for you here. Spending a few bucks on a new headset will give you a better overall experience. Even if you prefer an IEM. Those throw in jobs aren’t great and never even include a mute switch.

Thanks for the reply and yes I know they’re not great. I probably will have to end up spending some to get a better pair it’s just that whenever I buy other stuff they always end up falling out of my ears.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I disagree with the notion that they speakers need to be near you for them to be as good as headphones. Obvioulsy its easier to set positions on a headset due to its on your skull vs a room but you dont need to be right next to a speaker for it to be clear and accurate.

If you want to compare just price sure, you will likley win, but I have never gotten pair of headphones to sound as clear as a proper 5.1.4 setup.

But even with all this in mind, its really going to depend on a game by game basis. If the game has crappy audio you a headset might be better for positional audio simply due to the mix being sub par with positional audio.

MW 2019 for instance sounds far better and more clear in Atmos than it does with Sonic or Atmos on my headset which does support atmos natively. I suspect part of this is having ore channels in general vs a HRTF algorithm.

He doesn’t have an atmos(.4)setup. He’s using just a 5.1 system that is probably an HTIB

Top Bottom