• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
4937.gif
I caught him in Palworld the other day ;)

This should be the last Xbox console.

It’s crazy how badly they failed. Couldn’t make a good exclusive to save their fucking lives. That’s what it boils down to
You can thank that clown Phil Spencer with his gamepass first agenda. That cannibalized sales of games while he kept telling everyone ‘You don’t have to buy an Xbox to play our games’ ……….what a complete and utter moron! How he was not fired is beyond me. Shows the level of stupidity over at MS.

RickMasters

So you really think the diehard Xbox community is going to stop gaming? Look at the earlier meltdowns some are already saying how MS will become an even bigger gaming monster. Once it officially happens in due time the diehard green rats will be applauding it in some way, just wait. I know several people that said if PlayStation ever started porting their first party games to PC were done gaming but guess what, they didn’t quit.
Nah they won’t stop gaming. They are understandably pissed. To own an Xbox and join a forum is to put your self at risk of ridicule. Bad enough to deal with all that only for the company who’s console yoh gry to just owning in a positive light just spit in your face and slap you with the 500 bucks price for the privilege. They will be pissed now. But Tommorow They will just have to decide what their next platform of choice will be. And if they dont want to mass with PCs ( which is understandable…they come with their own headaches….) their choice is made for them. The Playstation….. come to think of it….. maybe I’ll be getting one after all.

I just want to know what They are gonna do to make sure My library of four gens of Xbox is preserved. So I’d like them to migrate my games to the PC and let me decide what hardware I want to play on from there. But I won’t be investing much in their platform as far as buying games going forward. There may not be a next Xbox for me to migrate my games too. So maybe I buy a few extra series Cs as back ups at massive discounts somewhere down the road.

I’d also like to add…. There won’t be anything for the so called green rats to applaud… because their platform will no longer exist. They get nothing but a slap in the face for supporting Xbox for the last two decades. I dont think Xbox fans are nessarily MS fans. And MS has gotten in the way of any potential Xbox ever had of being a great platform. So honestly fuck MS and their profit. They slap the face of Xbox customers constantly and this is just the final straw. The moment we start seeing halo, forza etc all on PS there is absolutely no reason for an Xbox ( nobody else has a reason too) owner to buy an Xbox when they can buy a PS and have god of war and halo on one console… and shit maybe MS makes their controller available on PS a well to make people feel a bit more settles on their Playstation 6s.

It is what it is… and what is… is over. For Xbox as a console. Xbox as a publisher? May aswell just kill that name too and just be MS game studios. After this even the sight of that X will leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nah they won’t stop gaming. They are understandably pissed. To own an Xbox and join a forum is to put your self at risk of ridicule. Bad enough to deal with all that only for the company who’s console yoh gry to just owning in a positive light just spit in your face and slap you with the 500 bucks price for the privilege. They will be pissed now. But Tommorow They will just have to decide what their next platform of choice will be. And if they dont want to mass with PCs ( which is understandable…they come with their own headaches….) their choice is made for them. The Playstation….. come to think of it….. maybe I’ll be getting one after all.

I just want to know what They are gonna do to make sure My library of four gens of Xbox is preserved. So I’d like them to migrate my games to the PC and let me decide what hardware I want to play on from there. But I won’t be investing much in their platform as far as buying games going forward. There may not be a next Xbox for me to migrate my games too. So maybe I buy a few extra series Cs as back ups at massive discounts somewhere down the road.

I’d also like to add…. There won’t be anything for the so called green rats to applaud… because their platform will no longer exist. They get nothing but a slap in the face for supporting Xbox for the last two decades. I dont think Xbox fans are nessarily MS fans. And MS has gotten in the way of any potential Xbox ever had of being a great platform. So honestly fuck MS and their profit. They slap the face of Xbox customers constantly and this is just the final straw. The moment we start seeing halo, forza etc all on PS there is absolutely no reason for an Xbox ( nobody else has a reason too) owner to buy an Xbox when they can buy a PS and have god of war and halo on one console… and shit maybe MS makes their controller available on PS a well to make people feel a bit more settles on their Playstation 6s.

It is what it is… and what is… is over. For Xbox as a console. Xbox as a publisher? May aswell just kill that name too and just be MS game studios. After this even the sight of that X will leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths.
Xbox as a hardware is not going anywhere they have one more generation in them for that I am very certain

Now tomorrow may change that as my info is a couple of months old

I can’t bring myself to buy a PS. It’s not even because of Sony. I think they are a wonderful company. It’s the insuffarable PlayStation fanboy. They have always been a nasty breed and now they get the last laugh. I just can’t bring myself to own one because I don’t want to join them 🤣🤣🤣….. steam….. I guess I’m going all in with you and Gabes posse. At least l can still use my Xbox relics ( the controller)
You're gonna be like that one Japanese guy who hid in the jungle for 50 years because he didn't know the war was over huh

T-0800

You can thank that clown Phil Spencer with his gamepass first agenda. That cannibalized sales of games while he kept telling everyone ‘You don’t have to buy an Xbox to play our games’ ……….what a complete and utter moron! How he was not fired is beyond me. Shows the level of stupidity over at MS.
I'm wondering if MS will part ways with, Phil Spencer. Would make sense to have someone else lead MS gaming forward without the baggage.

RickMasters

Xbox as a hardware is not going anywhere they have one more generation in them for that I am very certain

Now tomorrow may change that as my info is a couple of months old

If…. They are putting their games on other consoles….. I think it would be a waste of resources to make a next gen Xbox. They would be better of using resources to migrate accounts to PC or Playstation. I would be all for that. Absolutely not in favour of another Xbox if I can play Xbox games on other consoles.

Smart move for any Xbox gamer would be to start entertaining the idea of getting used to symmetrical analog sticks. And those buttons with the shapes on them. Triangle in place Of A? Jeez that’s gonna be a head fuck 😅😅. I suppose we will get used to it. But I’m still hoping they Atleast make an elite series three that’s PS compatable.

ByWatterson

Whats the point? Whos gonna buy an xbox if everything is ported to the more popular company? Do they think next gen gamepass will have people stick with them and fork over 500 bucks for a new console?

At least 10 million will buy the box, and there's no guarantee Sony will allow Gamepass on Playstation even without dedicated Microsoft hardware out there.

Transitional generation.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whats the point? Whos gonna buy an xbox if everything is ported to the more popular company? Do they think next gen gamepass will have people stick with them and fork over 500 bucks for a new console?
I know a lot of people who won’t buy a PS

hinch7

Want to see the tears of those who were cheerleading consolidation and games like TES being made a console exclusive. Because fuck them, thats why lol.

Last edited:
I don't see this as win for consumers. Ps6 can be piss poor at 699 with ps plus price increase and sony first party will only do sure fire hits if even that

This is bad news for Microsoft (long term) and bad news for consumers.

Nvidia raised prices and people grumbled and still bought.

And people are STILL trying to justify these sky high prices. They love getting ripped off.

Well, remember that Sony will take a 30% cut of that revenue, so it's a big boost for Sony as well. They are also killing incentive to buy an Xbox, which is necessary to feed GP subs. They are reducing incentive to sub to GP as well. So although yes, they are going to make more money, they are also feeding the competition money, and, at the same time, undermining their console and GP sales. Rumors suggest there was serious disagreement amongst the higher-ups about this shift, and I'm not surprised.

It's a short term cash infusion, and likely Microsoft is going to let go of all of their lowest margin endeavors (first party hardware, physical game releases, in-house game dev). I wouldn't be surprised to see them restructure and get rid of all of the dev teams they just bought, leaving their core business just publishing and Game Pass/XCloud infrastructure. Microsoft very clearly wants to be a middle man to collect $$$, use vendor lock-in and subscriptions to dictate their profits rather than ask, and to avoid anything that actually requires any long term investment. This is going to absolutely kill the brand, but they don't care - because they now have Call of Duty, which is basically legalized crack to the common denominator gamer.

Exactly what I fear if Xbox stops making consoles and who to turn to if the PS6 is $800

There is nobody to turn to. You have rich fuckboi PC nerds bragging about how much money they waste on components, PS fanlads who trip over themselves to give money to Sony who are role playing as Apple (as if they have even a tenth of the pedigree), and Nintendo who is doing whatever they fuck they feel like and not at all concerned with Xbox's former market. The only savior I can even imagine right now is if Valve decides to make a premium version of the Steam Deck, or revive Steam Machines. Or if Apple or Amazon decides to actually go full-in on the gaming industry and actually create a console ecosystem - I don't see this happening though.

There is no point. Microsoft is going to pay for this in the long term. It's fine now, but there is no reason for anyone to be tied to Microsoft's platform if they abandon Xbox this way. They see it as a way to force people into services, and I am sure they will offer a good deal on Game Pass for a while longer (as they double dip on multiplatform products). It's only a matter of time until they start twisting the screws. Their games will be everywhere, but they will offer exclusive content as part of their services, offer extra tiers that look like a good value. Right up until the alternatives start disappearing, and they'll crank up the fees just like their enterprise software business. It's sad, but this is the straight up classic evil Microsoft playbook they are running. Literally everything people feared back when the original Xbox launched.

dem

I’m not on Xbox for exclusives.. I’m on Xbox for gamepass..

Not sure why I should give a shit if those games go to PlayStation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Like $70 software. Will be $80, $90...
Wouldn't that also mean MS raising game prices? In turn bringing in more revenue to Xbox from PS (maybe Switch) users? And users on Xbox consoles not on Game Pass?

:pie_thinking:

It's all about the revenue...right? That trillion dollar company making all that....revenue. Reading theories now that going multi platform is a good way to help fund Game Pass....

"The Best Deal in Gaming"

"be careful what you wish for"

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Im not the biggest sony fan and did prefer xbox, but no way im buying a xbox next gen just for GP and for 500 buckaroos
I would be in the same boat if that was the entirety of the value proposition. I can't imagine that would be their answer. Time will tell, but we can be fairly certain that change is coming, I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. Worst case scenario, I play my games on one of the other boxes I own (or will own).

damidu

And there it is, what I’ve been saying all along. They are fakes, it’s all about self indulgence for them, clout, recognition. This guy and others, saw what they were from the beginning, I hope more wake up to it

bwahaha! god loving these manbaby meltdowns. hope microsoft doesnt address this shit until spring so the clownshow can escelate

Quite a few of us predicted the 3P move, along with Starfield coming to PS5, that last one was very contentious lol.

All joking aside, this isn’t the worst news, If you’re a true gamer, you should be happy to see your beloved franchises garner a wider audience.

What would be cool is if they opened up support for Xbox controllers on PS5. Gotta make it easy for you green rats to acclimate.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What I am wondering is that what is the incentive for Microsoft to keep a modestly profitable / loss making games publisher as part of the corporate structure?

Previously there were the pretences of putting Windows everywhere, using Bing, using Azure, then owning the living room.

With Office 365, Azure and Open AI making the money, the prospect of having a bloated 10,000 strong publishing arm that hasn’t put out anything truly remarkable in a while seems redundant.

havoc00

The issue is the Xbox fans, nobody seems to want to explain to them how this move will benefit them in any way, shape, or form. How do you explain to the loyal fans who spent alot of $ on an Xbox console to play Xbox exclusives, that those exclusives are no longer a thing, when many of those gamers now feel like they wasted $500 on Series X or $300 on a Series S now that those games are no longer exclusive? Money they now feel would have been better spent on PC or PS5. How do you justify a move which seems like it will actually hurt the chances of 3rd party developers porting to Xbox consoles in the future, when Xbox is already the platform most in need of ports (no exclusives means less hardware sales, less hardware sales means smaller playerbase, smaller playerbase means higher difficulty of seeing a return on investment on your port to Xbox)? How do you soothe those who feel cheated and burned by Microsoft due to this move?

Is Xbox going to use the money from this multiplatform move to buy hardware success next gen, either through more acquisitions (perhaps) or hatting 3rd party exclusives (doubtful)? Will they use this multiplat money to pay 3rd party developers to port to Xbox consoles (doubtful)? Or are Microsoft and gamers on other platforms really the only ones who benefit from this move, while your own loyal fanbase gets the shaft?

bender

What time is it?
What I am wondering is that what is the incentive for Microsoft to keep a modestly profitable / loss making games publisher as part of the corporate structure?

Previously there were the pretences of putting Windows everywhere, using Bing, using Azure, then owning the living room.

With Office 365, Azure and Open AI making the money, the prospect of having a bloated 10,000 strong publishing arm that hasn’t put out anything truly remarkable in a while seems redundant.

They envision a future for gaming that is much like their other software as a service offerings and having COD and King under your belt is as good of a bet as any in achieving this.

Quite a few of us predicted the 3P move, along with Starfield coming to PS5, that last one was very contentious lol.

All joking aside, this isn’t the worst news, If you’re a true gamer, you should be happy to see your beloved franchises garner a wider audience.

What would be cool is if they opened up support for Xbox controllers on PS5. Gotta make it easy for you green rats to acclimate.

"this isn't the worst news"... it shouldn't be a news at all if you are "a true gamer"

The truly bad news could yet still come if you are a "true gamer":

1.Internal turmoil inside xbox
+
2. power vacuums
+
3. people leaving
+
4. culture clash
=

1. Games could take even longer to release
2. Drop in quality
3. studios closing.

Gamepass strategy is having a gravitational effect. They now have to tailor the entire division’s strategy towards GP, and they seem to be sacrificing hardware. In the long run, this will definitely impact hardware as Xbox without exclusives becomes even less appealing.
I was thinking of getting an Xbox (a Pro iteration if they release one) at one point to play Gears, Starfield and some other exclusives but after this I have zero interest.

bender

What time is it?
I don't think PS would ever let Gamepass on their systems.

It could happen but it would need to variation of Game Pass that only offers MGS titles and those titles would also need to published on PSN and would look a lot like EA Play or crazier yet could be rolled into a tier of PS+ like Ubisoft+ Classics, could be rolled into another tier of PS+ like . Sony would get 30% of the monthly subscription and 30% of any game sales, DLC, and MTX. All of Microsoft's acquisitions would be beneficial in this case as there are a ton of back catalogue titles from Activision, Bethesda, etc. that are already playable on PS4/PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom