• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

evil west is so addicting

samoilaaa

The game is like an 3rd person doom , sure the story is average , the level design is kinda crap , constant handholding

but the game shines with its combat , its very very fun , i just played the game for 3 hours straight , i couldnt put the controller down , the last time this happened was with elden ring

i really hope this game sell well and they make a sequel with every aspect improved

the level design is kinda crap
Season 6 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

when i say is crap i mean its crap like 90% of 3rd person action adventure games , so if u like the level design of most of these type of games u wont have a problem

for me good level design is dishonored , deus ex , prey , if its linear its crap

I am very picky about level design and yes I also am a huge fan of those. I still have it on my wishlist. Someday when its super cheap, will give it a try.

Fools idol

Banned
the game is woefully balanced, you can get absurdly overpowered pretty quickly and the whole thing becomes trivial.

Good game. I think I enjoyed it more just because they don’t really make games like that now. For me it’s the very definition of a 7/10 game. Good but not great and one I would only really recommend to those who really enjoy the genre.

Oh and skip the cutscenes, the story is absolute shit.

Last edited:

TexMex

Looks cool but the inability for both players to earn trophies in a game build around co-op was a huge turn off for me.

GymWolf

It's not crap, just simple because exploration is not the focus, it's basically arena after arena separated by some light puzzles and exploration to get money to upgrade shit.
You can't really expect arkane level design in a game like this...
I am gonna pick it up on sale to coop with a buddy.

Strong Remnant vibes.
I love remnant but this ain't chief, think more about third person bulletstorm with a bit of gow2018 for the weighty movements, close camera and mix between melee and ranged, it is not really an rpg with stamina and melee is as important as ranged, where remnant is mostly ranged.
But yeah it is a tps with coop so in a way...
the game is woefully balanced, you can get absurdly overpowered pretty quickly and the whole thing becomes trivial.
That's why i played at max difficulty from the beginning and the game was nicely challenging but never too hard, some mixed fights with 3-4 mid-boss were pretty though.
Just for curiosity what upgrade path have you followed? There is not enough point to buy everything so i could have missed the super op build.

Last edited:
I love remnant but this ain't chief, think more about third person bulletstorm with a bit of gow2018 for the weighty movements, close camera and mix between melee and ranged, it is not really an rpg with stamina and melee is as important as ranged, where remnant is mostly ranged.
But yeah it is a tps with coop so in a way...

Am fine with this.

Most important is coop and combat that feels good.

Grinding for Simulacrum was a bit tedious in Remnant due to low drop rate, so it should be fine without it.

GymWolf

Am fine with this.

Most important is coop and combat that feels good.

Grinding for Simulacrum was a bit tedious in Remnant due to low drop rate, so it should be fine without it.
Yeah i guess coop should be fun, i played the whole thing solo.

oji-san

Banned
Tried it on my PC after finishing GoW Ragnarok and it wasn't the best idea, it's far more action oriented and while i did had some fun in the hour or two i played i dropped it for now.

I was going to get it in December but got Rogue Legacy 2 on the switch instead. The combat looked pretty mid to me.

Last edited:

stn

I'm planning to get it at some point this year after I finish more titles in my backlog. It looks like solid fun and I want to support the genre.

I feel like Evil West is going to hit the way Fenyx Rising did for me. I couldn't care less about the story segments, characters, and dialogue, but the gameplay was lots of fun.
From what I've seen, Evil West looks fun to play, but the characters and dialogue are an aversion.

Reactions: Isa

Ywap

Great game indeed. Shame a out the Unreal engine shortcomings regarding stuttering and texture pop-in. (on PC atleast)

Denton

I am having fun with this, but what really gets me is how it runs. The game looks pretty good, and it uses my GPU and CPU from like 15% of their capability, at max settings in 1620p. GPU takes 117W running at 46 degrees, pretty much same temperature it has in windows. It's hilarious, compared to e.g. Last of Us.

evilwestscreenshot202kuehl.png

evilwestscreenshot202kwe8j.png

evilwestscreenshot202c4cep.png

Hot5pur

Thanks for the post. Considering getting it for co-op with the wife. Was also interested in it on release but had other stuff to play. Looks like a no nonsense fun game.

Is it worth starting on a higher difficulty or stick to normal?

Goalus

I am having fun with this, but what really gets me is how it runs. The game looks pretty good, and it uses my GPU and CPU from like 15% of their capability, at max settings in 1620p. GPU takes 117W running at 46 degrees, pretty much same temperature it has in windows. It's hilarious, compared to e.g. Last of Us.

evilwestscreenshot202kuehl.png

evilwestscreenshot202kwe8j.png

evilwestscreenshot202c4cep.png
It's amazing what a competent developer can achieve.

when i say is crap i mean its crap like 90% of 3rd person action adventure games , so if u like the level design of most of these type of games u wont have a problem

for me good level design is dishonored , deus ex , prey , if its linear its crap
So you aren't talking about level design... I can't imagine how could feel working on videogames and reading such takes lol

Certinty

I gave up a few chapters in.

The gameplay was great like you said but fuck me the rest wasn’t just bad, it was really bad.

LastBattle

Addictive… not addicting.

Sorry, grammar Nazi strikes. I know it’s technically, kind of, maybe ok to use, but boy does it sound bad.

*oldmanshoutsatcloudgif*
I think it’s a US thing. It used to drive me nuts too and I thought it was people using incorrect grammar, but I noticed it’s a pretty wide spread vernacular.

Last edited:

Denton

Is it worth starting on a higher difficulty or stick to normal?
I played on normal and found it pretty hard but doable, until one boss in 7th or so mission where after five tries I decided to drop it to easy. Then I did it on first try. On easy enemy hits take lot less health than on normal, where you can die pretty quickly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I was pleasantly surprised with it. The overall linearity of the campaign reminds me of older 360 games which makes it feel a bit old school but the combat is tons of fun, and properly challenging at times. It's definitely not the kind of game where you effortlessly wipe out hordes of enemies. You need to put some back into it too, and it's what makes it so fun.

The visuals and atmosphere are also pretty neat.

Rickyiez

Hard West is the much better game imo . Totally different game but hilariously similar name and settings

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

dorkimoe

Bought it day 1, played for like 10 minutes and was kind of annoyed that there was some boxes you couldnt destroy that clearly should have been destroyable for a next gen game. I need to get back into it but found that rather stupid.

Denton

Still find it hilarious how in a scene like this, at 4K maxed out, my GPU is running at 800mhz.
There is also zero shader compilation stutter and no shader compilation. Maybe we never should have left DX11.
Yes, the game is linear, there is not a lot of physics or AI simulation going on, but...that's the case for games like Callisto Protocol too and those run like shit compared to this. And both games are Unreal 4.

evilwestscreenshot2027acin.png

evilwestscreenshot202p3cjv.png

evilwestscreenshot202zzfb5.png

evilwestscreenshot202zyegi.png

StereoVsn

I kims of want to get this game now because of it's performance 😅.

Put it in my wishlist and will grab it in the next sale.

Denton

Finished it, in some 10 hours. Yeah it is a solid, 7/10 brawler shooter game. Nothing amazing, but pretty good.
Shadow Warrior 1 still remains best FWH game though.

evilwestscreenshot20241dsu.png

evilwestscreenshot202rrdk4.png

evilwestscreenshot2029bcg8.png

Heaven for arachnophobes! (the game has a setting that disables those spideys)

evilwestscreenshot202k9dw9.png

Top Bottom