• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evidence Shows AI-Driven Companies Are Buying up Gaming GPUs

Spyxos

Gold Member
Demand for GPUs is unquestionably ramping up again as prices eclipse $70,000 per GPU in some China locales (that's for a data center H800 GPU), and leaders in the U.S. computing industry are taking to social media to complain that cloud-based GPU resources are fully booked and GPU hardware supplies are all reserved for the year ahead. Drastic times call for drastic measures, and we are beginning to see evidence that GPUs that should be heading to home desktop PC rigs are instead being snapped up by the AI industry players.

Naturally, gamers and enthusiasts will be worried about a repeat of the cryptomining craze, which decimated consumer GPU supplies: Are the crypto-bros of old destined to be replaced by the AI-bros — snapping up our precious gaming GPUs?

The first solid evidence of AI-focused businesses buying up consumer GPUs comes from a boast Tweeted by iconic IT hacker and entrepreneur George Hotz (AKA geohot).

Our calculations from the Hotz statement and image are that there are 60 GPUs in this "7.38 PFLOPS" batch (based on FP16 performance). Each of these RX 7900 XTX cards costs $979.99 on Amazon, at the time of writing. Thus, Hotz apparently just splashed out around $60,000 on this modest stack of GPU power.

Obviously this is a mere drop in the ocean, as the Comma AI founder and president says that there are "exaFLOPS more to come." For reference, one exaFLOPS is 1,000 petaFLOPS of performance. If we assume that Hotz aims to buy up to 7.38 exaFLOPS of GPU compute (1,000 x the first batch), he may have budgeted ~$60 million for this consumer graphics card buying spree. Or perhaps only ~$20 million, if he's only after around 2 exaFLOPS of AI compute.

Here We Go Again GIF

Last edited:

Pejo

Sad Happy Hour GIF

There goes another year of waiting for a reasonably priced card.

I'm gonna go "pirate" a card from Geohot, in theory he can't get mad about it right?

violence

bpq86HG.jpg

"Or perhaps the companies were buying the cards the whole time. Or maybe the AI is already sentient and the cards increase their brain capacity."

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Until we start seeing shortages, I doubt this will effect the market much since most gamers aren't impressed with the current offers and aren't buying.

Neon Xenon

Not this shit again.

That aside, there was a $659.99 deal on a 6950XT from February that I jumped on (plus an 850W PSU to support it), and there was a brief moment of wondering if I made the wrong call thinking about another price increase. That went away once I got it running (getting two bonuses from work helped out). No regrets, and I'm set for a while.

Ugh, I always knew ai was gonna be the new crypto, and here we are.

I'm excited for the lawsuits which catastrophically harm openai and other ai companies.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s bad enough Nvidia and AMD are basing prices as though Cryptomining never ended - and now we’re going to get the AI bros to justify it.

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz
I upgraded recently got a 3060OC 12GB(I'm a developer and I use AI myself) I'm happy and don't play to upgrade anytime soon... Generally I don't play AAA, but the extra 8GB are pretty good for AI.

AMD already change their focus and I believe that their next line of cards will also have AI capabilities... I think we are going to be left with Intel hahaha at least until their change their focus aswell as their graphics cards are already pretty equipped fot AI... All that is left is they develope a very optimized computer programming language like cuda

hlm666

It's because nvidia can't make enough of the big boys, bloody crazy 10 billion worth of tsmc wafers/fab alloc and they are supply constrained.

Intel and AMD missed the train again.

Red5

Rumors about Nvidia putting a stop to RTX4000 production too.

Sigh, another grift hurting our hobby. Hope this techbro bubble bursts soon.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, this is a reason why PC gaming will never be top notch like it used to be 15 years ago.
I mean this doesn't bode well for current GPUs but many last gen products are cheaper than ever, especially AMD gpus

Besides, AI/crypto corpos buying up hardware hurts everyone including console gamers. PS5s were super hard to get until just this year.

Top Bottom