• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop Ruining Console Games With PC Headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop Ruining Console Games With PC Headaches. - The Ringer

PC culture is out of control. The bug-ridden, spec-obsessed environment that dominates gaming on personal computers has now infected console gaming, and it has to be stopped.

The latest sign: As part of a multipronged effort to divert attention from Apple on Monday, Microsoft announced a new version of its Xbox One video game console at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3. Code-named “Project Scorpio,” the new console will feature expanded memory, an improved CPU, and a lightning-fast fast GPU processor. It’s still an Xbox One, the company says, but it’s better in every aspect. The system’s components are “technology we’ve yet to see fully revealed in the PC space,” according to Eurogamer.

This is new territory for the console industry, and it could end badly for consumers. For more than three decades, gamers and console manufacturers have entered into an honest pact: I buy your system for a few hundred bucks, and you, along with third-party developers, supply me with the best games you can make on that platform for five to seven years. This is how it’s always worked. As franchises such as Doom, Half-Life, and Far Cry pushed the graphical envelope on the PC, console gamers were content enjoying experiences that were less visually dazzling, but required less technical know-how (want to troubleshoot an NES game? Blow in the cartridge!). Maintaining a PC that can play the latest and greatest games gets wildly expensive, and gamers that refuse to upgrade risk being shut out from new releases after only a few years. Even if a newer title is compatible with older tech, it often suffers from a lower frame rate or generally poorer graphical performance.

Now, the gaming industry seems hellbent on bringing this frustrating experience to the console world. The shift began during the era of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as PC game developers found wild success on consoles through previously computer-centric genres, like first-person shooters and the Western RPGs. These developers decided to treat consoles just like PCs, leveraging gaming systems’ always-on internet connections to issue patches to already released games.

And for what? There’s never been much evidence that cutting-edge graphics sell consoles for the living room. The most popular game of the PS2 era was a Grand Theft Auto installment, which, even at the time looked like a child’s rendition of a Picasso painting. The most popular game of the PS3–Xbox 360 era was Wii Fucking Sports. And with this gen, the combined sales of Sony’s and Microsoft’s consoles are already outpacing publisher expectations before muddling up the market with (sort of) new systems.

If Scorpio and Neo are hits, Sony and Microsoft will be galvanized to keep releasing iterative console updates more regularly. They want to treat a new console like a smartphone upgrade — difference is, I don’t look at my PS4 for three hours every day. Gaming consoles were better when we treated them like appliances — or, if you’re not ashamed to admit it, toys — rather than supercomputers that require constant maintenance and upgrading. Come back when you’ve got a proper new console ready in 2020, and let me enjoy my perfectly fine, current-gen games in peace.

There's more at the link but I thought this was an interesting article on the idea of iterative consoles.

"Maintaining a PC that can run the latest and latest games gets wildly expensive"

*links to a list of pre-built PCs with over-the-top specs*

this is an incredibly stupid article. The only problem with MS and Sony releasing more powerful consoles just a little bit into the generation is the fact that consumers are now aware of the fact that their consoles are underpowered after only a few years (and in this case, since the beginning)

edit: Oh, this is from the ringer. That makes sense. Not even a gaming website. Dude hardly did his research.

improved hardware doesn't move units, just look at GTA III (which was such a revelation because it was a GTA game brought to 3D thanks to the new hardware) and Wii Sports (which was basically making a case for new hardware, albeit not necessarily horsepower)

CHC

Now, the gaming industry seems hellbent on bringing this frustrating experience to the console world

Somehow I feel like that isn't the only thing this author is frustrated by. This has to be one of the most anxiety-ridden articles I've ever read. I'm just not even sure where to begin discussing it....

Coonce

Has the writer not actually used a PC to game since the 90s?

It's not like you have to do a ton of troubleshooting to play a game anymore, buy it, launch it, it runs.

What would happen if you told the author of this article that consoles are actually PCs?

don't do that, there could be drastic consequences!

But... you can still play all those new games on your current consoles? The Sony dev documentation and Microsoft's recent comments about Scorpio both take great pains to explain this. Will there ever be Scorpio/Neo exclusives? No one can say for sure, and that uncertainty can be hard to deal with, but there is at least a stated commitment to never let that happen.

Also, that article's depiction of "PC culture" is a bit much. No, my two-year-old graphics card and three-year old CPU doesn't lock me out of games. Hell, it doesn't lock me out of VR.

Eidan

What would happen if you told the author of this article that consoles are actually PCs?
He'd probably say that you clearly ignored the his differations outlined in the article. I mean you could say, "But at the end of the day a console is a PC", sure, but you would've been addressing zero of the points made.

Orca

I don't see how buying a new console every four to five years, that can play all your current library and play any 'forward compatible' ones at higher settings than originally, is such a hardship...much less anything like keeping up a PC or compatibility concerns.

Has the writer not actually used a PC to game since the 90s?

It's not like you have to do a ton of troubleshooting to play a game anymore, buy it, launch it, it runs.
Not here to agree with this article but what you say in this post wasn't my experience moving from Xbox 360 to PC and now back to consoles. Many games did just work, and too many for my patience didn't, with constant hitches, wildly unstable framerates and oddities that marred the experience and took forever to troubleshoot and fix, *if* I actually managed to fix them.

It wasn't nearly the smooth sailing I had been advertised. It may be for some, and not for others. Its the nature of the PC beast that your personal mileage will vary, depending upon a great many factors.

Boney

Banned
Terrible article but there's a legit concern on missing out on 60fps on some games on the older hardware now, because they can just target that with the high bar now and just downscale to the lower settings. It already happens when pc's start to outpace consoles a few years in, but now the lower end with consoles can go even lower when there's both the PC and the better consoles out there.

Speevy

Banned
That's not true.

Buying a relatively inexpensive graphics card gives you access to thousands of games, looking better than they ever could on a console.

I played The Witcher 3 on my GTX 760 on medium settings, 720p, at 30 FPS.

I played The Witcher 3 on my GTX 970 on very high/ultra settings, 1080p, at 60 FPS most of the time.

I can also play the PS3 games that were released on the PC, looking better than they looked on the PS3, the Xbox 360 games that were released on the PC looking better than they looked on the Xbox 360.

It's more like Microsoft and Sony have realized that the demand for technology is far outpacing traditional cycles for "generations", and they need to keep up.

The truth is that I don't really want to get off my ass and game in VR, and I play on TVs, so 4K is out for the time being, so I'm set.

PC gaming on my bed, with a controller is where it's at.

Mohasus

"let me enjoy my perfectly fine, current-gen games in peace."

I wonder what is stopping Mr. Writer from doing this.

I think this is obviously hyperbolic, but his overall point can still be appreciated. The current console landscape is only considered a problem by developers - the actual market seems rather content with it. Both Microsoft and Sony seem to be tossing a wrench into a long-established formula, with little obvious gain for the end consumer. But there is very blatant potential for current machines to get titles that don't hit acceptable performance standards, with devs constantly obsessing over the latest model.

Now, I think it's not a bad idea overall. I'm glad that somebody is shaking up the console space, and new tech like roomscale VR and 4K will demand these higher power boxes. But it's worth bringing up how this could all go totally sideways.

bigkrev

It isn't completely fair to compare Grantland and The Ringer, but the launch of The Ringer has been really rough. Grantland launched with gaming articles by Tom fn Bissel, and here we get shit like this.

They should just have netw3rk write having columns

"let me enjoy my perfectly fine, current-gen games in peace."

I wonder what is stopping Mr. Writer from doing this.
The fact that were not sure if we'll be able to play all ps4 and Xbox one games going forward or if we're going to be like cross gen players and getting shitty back ports.

OmegaDL50

Using my PC has almost the same convenience as a console. The updates are automatic like my PS4's firmware updates. Games settings are also auto-configured to match my hardware.

Loading a game is as easy as clicking on the icon and I'm at the title screen in less than 20 seconds.

HDMI rigged up to my HDTV and bluetooth with my Dualshock 4 and It's a couch comfy experience.

Venom Fox

Banned
Is this satire? What? MS announced Scorpio because Apple announced IOS10. What?

Edit: PC is bug ridden? Jesus after this article and Resi Evil 7 demo I think I may have a brain hemorrhage.

He's not even ahead. He's far behind. 10 years behind. Someone needs to tell that author that it's 2016 and stop looking at PC gaming through the lens of 2006
How is this not what PC games are like today ? Did I miss the Batman stuff last year? Do we not have performance threads where every thing is broken down on how to get 2 fps more? Do I see patch threads every two weeks for games? Do digital foundry threads have an absurd mixture of letters and numbers?

Well, except when it doesn't. :p

This is coming from a PC gamer. There's a lot of different hardware configurations out there, and as a result, crap happens.

eloxx

Gaming article from a non-gaming site/source. Never worth a read. Thats a rule of thumb to go by. Ignore and move on.

How is this not what PC games are like today ? Did I miss the Batman stuff last year? Do we not have performance threads where every thing is broken down on how to get 2 fps more? Do I see patch threads every two weeks for games? Do digital foundry threads have an absurd mixture of letters and numbers?

Why do you think Batman having an atrocious PC port was news?

Because most PC ports don't launch that bad, that's why.

Spaghetti

I don't like the idea of iterative consoles too because of them potentially opening the door to some PC-centric problems with absolutely none of the benefits of the PC platform, but this article sucks.

Don't think so. They were too busy with WWDC which was also this week

I guess I meant during e3 week.

It's more like "unknown internet writer struggles to include Apple in every article"

I have no idea what wwdc is and didn't hear about anything from Apple in the news or online so I'm guessing Microsoft succeeded in taking attention from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom