• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN: "Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was just giving Tomlin's record the benefit of the doubt. I don't really think he's a good coach. Cowher, yes. I think the Steelers are a good organization that's well run, and assuming Tomlin can't just be a happy accident.

ParityBit

Would anything convince any of you patriots fans your team did some shady shit in the past decade?

They did. They taped hand signals, cheer leaders asses and a coach waving at them from the side line after they were TOLD not to. The rest of the league stopped, why didn't they? Arrogance.

The rest, there is no proof.

oatmeal

Banned
Probably not a good idea to leave your playsheet in your locker room and tell everyone (including staff and security) to just bail out and leave the room completely empty so the Patriots ninja can come steal it.

JABEE

The truth shall set you free.

Praise Tebow. He died so that we could see the truth.

Cheating Pats Forever. Amen.

Dragon

Banned
I think BigAT is more upset about the Rutgers football program being full of criminals than anything else. I would be too. I was upset about Hernandez.

Bandini

They really aren't ever going to let this end, are they? People keep lapping it up, too. It's unbelievable. I've been a Bucs fan since the 90s. I've been rooting for the Chiefs for a few years. Hard Knocks has got me rooting for the Texans this year. And now, I'll be rooting for the Patriots as well.

bionic77

Let it go, takes too much energy to whine and hate. Are you ready for some football!? or do you now despize the Patriots and the NFL to the point where you can't enjoy NFL football anymore so you would rather hate? ESPN will milk this until no end because they know there will always be a story to be made for people like you. There is no new info just reguritated stuff we already heard about.
The Pats are going to have a 20 point lead against the Steelers on Thursday going into the 4th quarter. Most of our offensive stars are suspended because of yada yada marijuana.

I for one have always caused distractions concerning the Pats and welcome further distraction as it will ease the pain concerning the current state of my team.

cdyhybrid

I've been a Bucs fan since the 90s. I've been rooting for the Chiefs for a few years. Hard Knocks has got me rooting for the Texans this year. And now, I'll be rooting for the Patriots as well.

SnLQY42.png

bionic77

They really aren't ever going to let this end, are they? People keep lapping it up, too. It's unbelievable. I've been a Bucs fan since the 90s. I've been rooting for the Chiefs for a few years. Hard Knocks has got me rooting for the Texans this year. And now, I'll be rooting for the Patriots as well.
This is easily the worst thing I have ever read.

If you don't mind can you please give us some insight into how you were brought up? I think I speak for everyone here when I say that no one wants to see another post like this ever again.

Troy

Banned
Would anything convince any of you patriots fans your team did some shady shit in the past decade?

Yes, when they admitted they continued to tape other teams' sidelines from an angle that was forbidden in the year after the NFL asked all teams to stop doing that. That was shady.

th

So basically you root for the team that farts in your general direction. How lovely of you.

JABEE

I just can't believe there were so many people that believed the Pats were legitimate. It makes me sad. I just don't understand.

Vandiger

Is this the mindset of a casual fan? Damn.

oatmeal

Banned
I just can't believe there were so many people that believed the Pats were legitimate. It makes me sad. I just don't understand.

I just can't believe there were so many people that believed the Pats were illegitimate. It makes me sad. I just don't understand.

The Pats are going to have a 20 point lead against the Steelers on Thursday going into the 4th quarter. Most of our offensive stars are suspended because of yada yada marijuana.

I for one have always caused distractions concerning the Pats and welcome further distraction as it will ease the pain concerning the current state of my team.

Patriots always struggle at the beginning of the season (not enough time to videotape, steal playbooks, deliver warm gatorade, etc) and the first team has looked terrrrrrrrible in preseason. Plus Brady hasn't had a full week of uninterrupted practice this pre-season, so I wouldn't be convinced that NE will be up big in this game.

cdyhybrid

The Pats are about to put a legitimate ass whoopin on the league this year so don't watch if you are sensitive to seeing the bad guy win.

Yep, the stars are aligning for 18-1: Part 3. It's been another 4 years, the Pats just got caught cheating again, it's all there.

Eli about to style.

BacvxyN.gif

qkT2y0d.gif

GCQYINi.gif

LsXKxtz.gif

ParityBit

OKokokokay.

Hold up a second. Everyone take a deep breath. Lets stop the Pats vs. the world for a sec and lets look at the NFL (Fan's) vs the world.

Doesn't it seem like the whole NFL is starting to come apart at the seems? I almost feel like this is turning into the "killing the golden goose" situation. I know we say none of this matters ..... but does/will it? I mean across the board. Concussions/scandals/domestic violence, PED's

This has turned into a he said/she said nightmare of owners and players vs owners and players, using the media and dictating what is heard when and how.

Just random thought .... sorry.

Drek

I'm not a Pats fan (lifelong Broncos fan who finds the NFL's lack of moral compass at this point too disheartening to watch) but the axe grinding here is so damn obvious.

If the Pats were this damn bad there would have been at least some bit of credible evidence to slip out other than the taping of signals during games, which was legal just 12 months earlier. The NFL has had more than a few chances now to look behind the curtain, moreso than any other club, and they've been striking out every time.

The Pats are executing the NFL's primary mission statement for coaches, players, etc.: just win baby. They've spent decades breeding that culture over all else. Teams have covered up for assault, domestic violence, rape, and drug trafficking. That's ok to everyone. The Pats, who outright disowned and helped with the prosecution of their in-house shithead criminal, do some strategic elements people don't like and suddenly they've got to be cheating. Even though all the verifiable complaints against them are things other teams admit to having done in the past as well.

Lot of salty fans because Brady was a 6th rounder all your teams passed on and Belichick is better than your head coach. It's the reality of it, deal with it. My Broncos were riding high on Brian Griese's future potential when the Pats got Brady, and have since fired the one coach who had Belichick's number any given Sunday to start a rotating door and I still harbor no ill will.

Don't hate Belichick because he's a strategic genius or Brady because the NFL has, of their own volition, made rules changes to tailor the game to Brady's skill set. He can't make them institute restrictions on DB/WR contact, penalize QB contact, or the widespread distribution of spread offenses complete with heavy slanting to flood zones, bubble screens, etc..

You got a problem with the Pats ask your club why they passed on Gronk, why they can't scheme an offense that can utilize a cast of WRs instead of needing to pay #1s, or consistently maintain a strong defense for about a decade and a half because that's why the Pats beat your team. They're better at football because Belichick is better than your guys.

Go cry in your beer and console yourselves with the notion that the league office will railroad the Pats out of SB contention this year no matter what it takes, so you'll get at least a one year reprieve.

Meanwhile I'll be following the baseball hot stove because the league that is just now stepping out of the shadow of a two decade long steroid scandal has exhibited far more integrity than the NFL.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm not a Pats fan (lifelong Broncos fan who finds the NFL's lack of moral compass at this point too disheartening to watch) but the axe grinding here is so damn obvious.

If the Pats were this damn bad there would have been at least some bit of credible evidence to slip out other than the taping of signals during games, which was legal just 12 months earlier. The NFL has had more than a few chances now to look behind the curtain, moreso than any other club, and they've been striking out every time.

The Pats are executing the NFL's primary mission statement for coaches, players, etc.: just win baby. They've spent decades breeding that culture over all else. Teams have covered up for assault, domestic violence, rape, and drug trafficking. That's ok to everyone. The Pats, who outright disowned and helped with the prosecution of their in-house shithead criminal, do some strategic elements people don't like and suddenly they've got to be cheating. Even though all the verifiable complaints against them are things other teams admit to having done in the past as well.

Lot of salty fans because Brady was a 6th rounder all your teams passed on and Belichick is better than your head coach. It's the reality of it, deal with it. My Broncos were riding high on Brian Griese's future potential when the Pats got Brady, and have since fired the one coach who had Belichick's number any given Sunday to start a rotating door and I still harbor no ill will.

Don't hate Belichick because he's a strategic genius or Brady because the NFL has, of their own volition, made rules changes to tailor the game to Brady's skill set. He can't make them institute restrictions on DB/WR contact, penalize QB contact, or the widespread distribution of spread offenses complete with heavy slanting to flood zones, bubble screens, etc..

You got a problem with the Pats ask your club why they passed on Gronk, why they can't scheme an offense that can utilize a cast of WRs instead of needing to pay #1s, or consistently maintain a strong defense for about a decade and a half because that's why the Pats beat your team. They're better at football because Belichick is better than your guys.

Go cry in your beer and console yourselves with the notion that the league office will railroad the Pats out of SB contention this year no matter what it takes, so you'll get at least a one year reprieve.

Meanwhile I'll be following the baseball hot stove because the league that is just now stepping out of the shadow of a two decade long steroid scandal has exhibited far more integrity than the NFL.

Damn fine post...

Too bad you're a PATRIOTS NINJA

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Prepare to be blackballed by the rest of Broncos GAF because you won't jump on the Patriots Hate Bandwagon.

I am actually curious to see how officiating during Patriots games goes this year.

OKokokokay.

Hold up a second. Everyone take a deep breath. Lets stop the Pats vs. the world for a sec and lets look at the NFL (Fan's) vs the world.

Doesn't it seem like the whole NFL is starting to come apart at the seems? I almost feel like this is turning into the "killing the golden goose" situation. I know we say none of this matters ..... but does/will it? I mean across the board. Concussions/scandals/domestic violence, PED's

This has turned into a he said/she said nightmare of owners and players vs owners and players, using the media and dictating what is heard when and how.

Yea, the NFL as a whole is garbage.

And the Patriots being allowed to cheat for so long only reinforces that.

Lots of individuals are creeps, so far as serious criminal activity is concerned. Nobody disputes that. Aaron Hernandez, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, etc... etc...

But so far as the integrity of the game itself goes, the Patriots have made an absolute mockery of the sport.

The NFL is now on par with FIFA and one step above the WWE, so far as credibility is concerned.

Troy

Banned
OKokokokay.

Just as Michael Wilbon predicted.

bionic77

Just heard there are 37 unnamed quotes in the article. Evidence!
Just because you are not caught doesn't mean it didn't happen. Generally when someone cheats it is with the goal of not being caught, so if done well and everyone keeps their mouth shut it should be no surprise that it can't be proven.

Just like just because there are a decades worth of accusations and fires surrounding an organization doesn't necessarily mean they are guilty.

Troy

Banned
Just because you are not caught doesn't mean it didn't happen. Generally when someone cheats it is with the goal of not being caught, so if done well and everyone keeps their mouth shut it should be no surprise that it can't be proven.

Just like just because there are a decades worth of accusations and fires surrounding an organization doesn't necessarily mean they are guilty.

So basically every team in every league is guilty.

oatmeal

Banned

They are really really good at cheating then. And all of the players they didn't resign, the coaches they didn't bring back or fired...they were all just being bros and kept a lid on it.

I can't believe some people actually think this is a hit piece by Goodell and the NFL. Did they actually read the damn story? The Mike Martz thing is incredible. If the NFL/Goodell altered a coach's words in order to try and divert a congressional investigation, that's simply amazing

AColdDay

I totally agree.

As a dyed in the wool, Texas-born Cowboys fan, I used to almost feel sorry for the Patriots, because the Cowboys received a lot of hate during the 90s when they were winning Super Bowls and I could understand the chip-on-the-shoulder mentality. However, after years of seeing the scumbaggery that team will go to win, I'm happy to know that my crappy Cowboys team don't resemble the "flawless" Patriots in any way.

I can't believe that mutual disgust can bring even Cowboys and Eagles fans together. It's a new day.

Do you see how pathetic you are, Patriots fans? Even Eagles fans, the most vile cancer of the sports world, are disgusted by you.

As a Browns fan since Bernie Kosar was under center handing off to Kevin Mack...who was a fan when coach Shottenhiemer got replaced by coach Belichick (who was shown the door out off CLE too), this post is 100%, distilled truth.

It is what it is man. Our franchises aren't run nearly as well or as consistently and the stability they've had on the line and at QB are the reason why the Pats have been relevant for a decade while the rest of our teams have generally only had a few fleeting seasons in the sun. The only real exceptions outside of the Pats have been the Steelers, Ravens, Packers (i guess)...and really that's it. The rest of our teams pale in comparison when it comes to talent development, talent identification, and consistency. And to think the only year Brady had a top-tier #1 WR they went 16-0 in the season. One can only imagine what kind of numbers the Pats would put up if they went and got a Megatron or a Larry Fitzgerald.

Hope your team finds a way to emulate their success, stability and quality. Spend less time hating on success; it won't make you feel better and it won't make you or your team more successful by some meta extension.

bionic77

They are really really good at cheating then. And all of the players they didn't resign, the coaches they didn't bring back or fired...they were all just being bros and kept a lid on it.
AJ Feeley said Brady fucked with the balls. If the word of AJ Feeley is not good enough for you than nothing anyone can say is ever going to sway your opinion.

And Mangini was a former Pats coach without whom they never would have been punished for spigot.

I can't believe some people actually think this is a hit piece by Goodell and the NFL. Did they actually read the damn story? The Mike Martz thing is incredible. If the NFL/Goodell altered a coach's words in order to try and divert a congressional investigation, that's simply amazing

It's Martz's word against the NFL/Goodell. I doubt he'd be willing to testify against the NFL.

Quotient

There is so much change in players, coaches, assistants that you would have expected the Patriots to have been exposed years ago - 15 years is a long time and alot of turn over in those positions.

cdyhybrid

It's Martz's word against the NFL/Goodell. I doubt he'd be willing to testify against the NFL.

Good thing our friendly neighborhood Pats fans just spent months hammering home how untrustworthy Goodell's word is!

I guess that seals it. Mike Martz is a hero.

hom3land

Patriots under Belichick:

1. Videotaping opposing teams signals, practices and walkthroughs
2. Stealing play sheets from opposing team's lockerooms and even from their hotel rooms
3. Bugging locker rooms
4. Deflating footballs
5. Jobbing the eligible receiver rule
6. Getting the NFL to give them a new rule (tuck) to justify Brady's fumble that launched his bogus career.

But the Patriots deny it all, so it's OK!

Just making up shit and put in a list doesn't make you any smarter or the list any more than made up bs

Patriots under Belichick:

1. Videotaping opposing teams signals, practices and walkthroughs
2. Stealing play sheets from opposing team's lockerooms and even from their hotel rooms
3. Bugging locker rooms
4. Deflating footballs
5. Jobbing the eligible receiver rule
6. Getting the NFL to give them a new rule (tuck) to justify Brady's fumble that launched his bogus career.

But the Patriots deny it all, so it's OK!

It's hard to use google isn't it?

ParityBit

The story that will never end.

NFL and ESPN don't want it too.

Owners can get trashed on a bus and assault women, they can get high on drugs, players can beat women and carry guns so they can shoot themselves in the leg or at someone else. They have fall guys to take the arrest, especially from something that happens in a limo.

They do not want it to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom