• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN: Blizzard having trouble recruiting for Overwatch League due to high cost

Spectating OW needs to be more interactive and not as passive. Let the viewer flip between first person viewpoints of every player in the game while also having a overhead view available to them.

The sad part is that all this uncertainty over the Overwatch League has been strangling teams for months, if Blizzard had simply never planned or announced anything then competitive Overwatch would be in a far better position. Seagull was right to step back and focus on streaming while this mess plays out.

This is seriously insane. What are they thinking? I know the game just broke 1 billion, but Jesus, give it sometime. Is it even this expensive for LoL?

This is seriously insane. What are they thinking? I know the game just broke 1 billion, but Jesus, give it sometime. Is it even this expensive for LoL?
You can probably buy all of the NA LCS teams for that $20 million (and then Riot will force you to sell all of them).

None of this sounds like a good deal for the franchisees or the competitive scene, period. No revshare for four years? The fuck? Naked, shortsighted greed on Blizzard's part. They've learned fucking nothing from decades of what should have been valuable learning experience watching other competitive leagues flourish using their games.

Zemm

It's like if they are assuming Popularity=Esports Success. It's a great start but not a shoe in.

Even Blizzrd can't be blind to Overwatch's lack of popularity when it comes to esports.

Hearthstone team league would have been a better idea, but obviously not at that laughable price.

So I'm guessing that if another organization hosted a Overwatch tournament and broadcast it. Act-Blizz would sue the pants off of them.

This is such a stupid model. The reason real sports franchises work is because they have the $$$ through multiple revenue streams to pay for top talent. They don't own the rights to their game.

Act-Blizz is going about this bass-ackwards. They need to establish a revenue stream before creating franchises.

Won

That's the most Blizzard-y thing I read in a while.

They just don't care about esports beyond the business level.

ZeroGravity

No just no. Go ask the casual Overwatch player who only plays quick play or plays the game at random intervals what the terms: Ult Economy, Dive Comp, Hard Counters, 2-2-2, Nano Blade etc etc are and they wouldnt know.

I have a few friends who only play OW at a casual level, they have no idea about what the current meta is or what proper team composition is, let alone will they know what exactly goes on in a Elite Level OW match between pros.
None of this is really relevant to being able to follow what's happening in the game. It's like in football when they breakdown offensive and defensive schemes. You like 95% of people watching know what they're talking about? Not a chance. Guy throws a football and another guy catches it? That's all they need.

The complaints about Overwatch being difficult to follow are pretty unfounded if you've actually played the game any decent amount. You don't need to know the meta or team composition to see how a Genji just wiped the entire enemy team with his sword. or the Reinhardt hammered everyone down. A basic understanding of the hero abilities is more than enough.

Maybe they have trouble translating this to people outside of those who play the game, but the game's player base is so big around that they should have a decent enough amount of people to make this a successful esport. And the game's only getting bigger.

No, that's what the last League team sold for. And that's an investment that's ready to roll, Blizzard is asking for 10 times just to get in through the door. That's completely unreasonable.

That's one of the biggest things. Blizzard is asking a $20 million price tag for an uncertainty. With a League of Legends, Counter Strike or Dota team you have a good idea of what you'll get. If you buy an LCS team you can look at viewers and exposure, so when you eat that cost of buying a spot you have a lot more information to work with.

But there's almost nothing known about the Overwatch League. All these buyers have to go off of is that the game has a lot of players and the last Blizzcon tournament had around 200k viewers peak (iirc). Blizzard is taking those and saying "hey this will be the next big thing, trust us!" and charging 20 million for that.

Maybe they have trouble translating this to people outside of those who play the game, but the game's player base is so big around that they should have a decent enough amount of people to make this a successful esport. And the game's only getting bigger.

It's not that simple. League of Legends has an absurd amount of players and yet has a low view rate for the amount of players it has. A game like Dota 2 has a lot less players yet more of them engage in watching the game competitively. Overwatch has a large playerbase but there's no guarantee that any significant portion of that audience cares about watching the game competitively.

Overwatch is such a fun game to watch.

It really isn't. Not from a competitive perspective where they have to rotate through multiple cameras. It's cool for watching one player (ie Twitch streamers), but watching it in the traditional esports way is just awful.

It's laughable that Blizzard thinks a pro scene would be worth anywhere near what they're thinking it is. They seem to misunderstand the game and its appeal entirely.

Armaros

It really isn't. Not from a competitive perspective where they have to rotate through multiple cameras. It's cool for watching one player (ie Twitch streamers), but watching it in the traditional esports way is just awful.

It's laughable that Blizzard thinks a pro scene would be worth anywhere near what they're thinking it is. They seem to misunderstand the game and its appeal entirely.

And their spectator system is not nearly as robust as what Valve made for CS:GO and that game doesn't have lots of abilities flying out and filling the screen with effects.

I mean Blizzard's arrogance destroyed Starcraft's comp scene, this is par for the course.

I keep hearing this over and over but no one seems to want to mention KESPA or simply the fact that RTS' aren't anywhere near as popular as they used to be and barely a blip on the radar of MOBAs.

As much as I hover on the border of trust with Neogaf's knowledge on games, I have no degree of trust for Neogaf's business sense. Blizzard is asking for a price. That price has already been met by at least two large organizations and fairly quickly at that. If people are biting at all, that means that they stand something to gain AND it means that other investors know that someone felt the risk was worth taking.

The game is still the most popular game in Korea, the Korean competitive scene for it is huge and investors like SK Telecom and Samsung won't have an issue buying in at these prices.

The sad part is that all this uncertainty over the Overwatch League has been strangling teams for months, if Blizzard had simply never planned or announced anything then competitive Overwatch would be in a far better position. Seagull was right to step back and focus on streaming while this mess plays out.

It's funny because he stepped back and started streaming specifically to keep his options open for the Overwatch League.

----

And besides all that, various "sources" said that slots were going up to $20 million dollars - in particular, mentioning high value slots like New York and Los Angeles - when news first started coming out about the OWL. Now we have sources saying they start at $20 million. I wish Blizzard would just release a statement on everything, but that has it's own issues as far as investors and on-going transactions go.

Redmoon

Could just buy a team in a proven esports scene for that money rather than take this risk. For example, SKT, the best team in the largest esports game, League, is only worth like 31M usd lol.

LordofPwn

I love me some Overwatch and I enjoy watching pros play. I just don't think theres enough money in ad revenue to justify the $20m team tag.

I like what Psyonix did with the RLCS. Overwatch League is the future i would like to see for Overwatch but i don't think it's the next step it needs.

Right now e-sports are kinda a joke with how they're run (except for a few big tournaments here and there) compared to what the NBA, NFL, and MLB are doing. but each of those leagues have had decades to build upon and improve. they weren't built overnight.

Xe4

Banned
JFC 20 mill, what the fuck are they thinking. Someone needs to take the crackpipe from whoever is proposing that, and drop that price 40 fold. Maybe then they can get a league going.

mebizzle

It seems like they're aiming for those sports groups that are trying to get into the eSports scene more so than the existing eSports organizations, I really hope this doesn't kill this game.

Trace

Banned
Overwatch isn't even in the top 5 of most watched esports, what the fuck is Blizzard thinking at that price?

zer0das

Banned
The 20 million by itself while bad, is absolutely hilarious given you wouldn't get revenue sharing until years later, and you would get screwed out of a huge chunk of profit if you ever wanted to sell the team.

Who writes these contracts? Good lawd.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well Blizzard always overcharge for everything, just look at the price of WoW services.

Zemm

It seems like they're aiming for those sports groups that are trying to get into the eSports scene more so than the existing eSports organizations, I really hope this doesn't kill this game.

That's a big problem imo. What happens when the bottom inevitably falls out of this league? They've already really hurt the Overwatch competitive scene just by announcing the league but then taking ages to even plan anything.

You just can't trust Blizzard to nurture a competitive scene around their games. They are pretty useless.

jwhit28

A lot of existing esports organizations are already connected to sports team owners mostly from the NBA. Immortals, NRG, Echo Fox, Renegades, Dignitas, Flyquest, Team Liquid, and Misfits all have ties to the NBA. Turner Sports who runs NBATV started televising CS:GO and are currently in the middle of SFV Eleague. The NBA is starting it's own location based 2k league. The fact that they don't seem to be in the conversation about Overwatch despite Rick Fox teasing some on Twitter is a red flag.

oneils

Seems like they have decided that it's not worth it to them unless they get these fees. Looks like an all or nothing deal.

Par Score

Asking for a $20 million franchise fee is exactly the sort of arrogant, idiotic and counterproductive move I would expect from Blizzard when it comes to esports.

I'm glad it looks like it's going to fail.

Kuro

After that awful World Cup they did last year I'm not surprised Blizzard continues to completely mismanage Owatch. This really sucks because a lot of tournaments won't come be back because this shitty league is supposed to replace them. This is going to kill the competitive scene in the west.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
No just no. Go ask the casual Overwatch player who only plays quick play or plays the game at random intervals what the terms: Ult Economy, Dive Comp, Hard Counters, 2-2-2, Nano Blade etc etc are and they wouldnt know.

I have a few friends who only play OW at a casual level, they have no idea about what the current meta is or what proper team composition is, let alone will they know what exactly goes on in a Elite Level OW match between pros.
I've never watched competitive overwatch but if I'm right none of those terms are likely to be that complicated to explain. Certainly nothing on a moba.

Kaplan behind this price tag, or at least have his hands in it?

I mean, I know he thinks he's the greatest, but gtfo here with that kind of valuation, if he is involved.

Top Bottom