• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch league appears to be Donzo

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It was set to fail due to how they structured it.

You look at the success of games like DOTA2 or moreso CounterStrike, and you see how to run a successful e sport over a long period of time.

StarCraft used to do well then Blizzard shit the bed there too.

I’m hoping with the league ending they can focus more into making the game fun and competitive for all.

Ribi

finally

evolving competitive Overwatch in a new direction.
lol

Last edited:

Sojiro

The buy in for teams was always stupid to me, and I figured it wouldn't be sustainable for long. When you see the popular eSports games out there, they were built with grassroot community teams from the ground up. OW just tried to overshoot that, and started at a level traditional sports are currently at and I am surprised it lasted as long as it has. The biggest detriment IMO is that OW is just not fun to watch, I like playing it, but it is dull as shit to watch at the highest level, especially during some very stally metas.

Last edited:

wolffy66

I like competitive OW but the way the league was structured just wasn't the way to go.

The city based teams with home and away games was never gonna work.

Let's see what they come up with now.

Barakov

Gold Member
Finally. Kinda surprised this thing lasted as long as it did. Maybe they can focus on making it fun again.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Blizzard has been shitting up my favorite games over trying to control esports since they were designing StarCraft 2. I still remember where I was sitting when I got news of their decisions with that game. The news that it would not have LAN was delivered at a LAN party. The game itself got more boring to watch the more they struggled to update it into an esport. I like how they just ended up remastering brood war.

Seems like every time some smart devs make a badass game a bunch of suits need to rush in and fuck everything as fast as possible.

Overwatch didn't even get a chance to become a full game first. It's like they put out this promising husk of a game everyone loved and every update just made it worse. Until we finally were left with this broken husk of the original concept called Overwatch 2. Should have stuck to the original fun game instead of chasing esports and making the whole cast gay.

Azzurri

It's the same with WoW.

When Blizzard introduced Mythic+ in Legion it was the most fun I've ever had in dungeons because it was new and they weren't trying to make it a fucking eSport.

Fast forward to BFA and beyond, they basically built Mythic+ with eSports in mind; with pathing, boss encounters and other unfun stupid shit.
Thankfully, they backed off in Dragonflight and it's more fun, but still not like Legion.

Same with HoTS (RIP) but once the game failed eSports it actually became awesome and fun. Too bad it was too late

If your game can't organically grow an esports scene you won't make any money forcing one into existence.

Maybe Overwatch could have grown one, but Blizzard never gave it the chance. They took control right from the start, fucked it up and now there's no real scene for players and fans to fall back on.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Blizzard was seething over losing control of DOTA and tried to force this stupidity through because of that. If they focused on growing Starcraft 2 it would likely have done very well but they were blinded by DOTA.

Top Bottom