• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic may be launching a gamepass competitor

Oppoi

There is nothing profitable about Gamepass without microsoft money.
Epic will try the same thing.

They are all just trying to win this something, in case it's big in the future... like steam who accidentally invented all pc gaming lol
Betting big money in case the existing model crashes or betting big money to crash the existing model? That's the question.

Skifi28

Crazy. Another major publisher bringing their own subscription service to the game. Crazier when people on this forum tell us that subscriptions are failing and flatlining and blah blah blah.
Just crazy.
Like how Square was investing heavily into NFTs after they were already dead. Clearly they knew something we didn't and NFTs are now flourishing. I wonder what they did with all the money they made.

GHG

That's the key to this. Epic might pay to have some games ONLY available on their sub-service. I think GHG GHG has a post up about things like this happening.

I don't think it would be wise for them to do so given their standing with PC gamers, but stranger things have happened.

They have a bunch of partnerships and relationships with developers/publishers due to their game engine that can be leveraged.

They will probably phase out the weekly free game giveaways and introduce this.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Oh yeah, let's do that, it's such a massive success.

cat love GIF

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll take their free games and never use them but will not be supporting exclusives through them or stuff like this. I'll support them more when they have no exclusives. Let the SW do the talking.

Three

gravy trains end. Free epic games are going to end for sure. This is the replacement.
Of course. Look at what happened to GWG and that shit wasn't even free.

They will likely try and create some kind of "Epic Pass". Free shit/V bucks in Fortnite and or rocket league plus games in the sub. They'll likely leverage those popular games to get subscribers.

Last edited:

Noxxera

Just saying I'm not surprised. I've beeen kinda expecting this to happen. It's gonna be the same 1000 different gamepass services as it is movie/show streaming services. With that said I hope this is just false and won't actually happen in the end anyway.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
'Try it now for just 4.99 a month'

Then 6.99, 9.99, 12.99, 16.99, 19.99 and on and on and on...

Killjoy-NL

Makes sense

Consoles will be just subscription boxes, like Android and Apple already have it with streaming

...and we will never have anything more, so basically God has abandoned us
Going by recent reports, that's going to take a long time.

Sub services are already stagnating and cover only ~10% of total revenue in the industry, iirc.

Kabelly

With the amount of games I have hoarded on Epic that they've given me I won't need to sign up for this shit for like 3 years.

Crayon

It would be amazing if they pushed a deafening slander campaign at Microsoft. The shit slinging at valve went on for months around the launch of egs.

DaGwaphics

Doesn't surprise me. Let's see what they come up with.

I'll assume they'll go with a PS+ style subscription with a lot of older games but a lower price than the $17 a month for GP. I'm surprised that Steam hasn't done the same.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I just like my free games that I never play. I would not subscribe to this even if it was the second best deal in gaming.

Braag

Epic is that drunk guy in a bar challenging all the big dudes to a fight, getting his ass whooped and still talking shit.

Top Bottom