• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking terrible PC ports and their motherfucking stuttering!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
fbw6a.jpg

(for those that don't know, this is the actual, real line spoken in the TV edit of Snakes on a Plane)

Lol I totally forgot about the god awful swear dubs networks like TNT did for movies!!!

Foilz

Banned
So based on these comments the problem is the PC platform and not the devs for halfassing their games? Also, with some tinkering you will get the games to run perfectly fine. Cod mw2 stutters like crazy on PC, it locks up as u jump out of the plane. The solution , turn on gun blur and all stuttering is gone. Not a PC issue it's a dev issue.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What I have learned with my 5950x 3090 2k GPU is 99% of my games look and run better than either of my consoles with higher frame rates

Plus once I see what the new AMD cards can do I am building another because for some even 2k for a GPU is peanuts

My ps5 is a dust collector and occasional UFC4 machine. These are the same NeoGaf sony warriors who defend paid access to customer service and $70 remasters to experience their favorite slow walk and chats again. Dont pay them any mind.

This is why I have never bothered with PC. The marginal benefit just isn't worth all the hassle and lack of TLC given to PC ports. That's never going to change. it's impossible to optimize for thousands of potential rigs configurations.

The benefit to optimizing for one piece of hardware and a massive userbase is enormous, you generally don't put up with all these kinds of issues.

For less than the cost of a high end rig I can just buy all the consoles (PS5, XSX, and Switch) and use the additional savings to buy games and services.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If it isn't stuttering and shader compilation it's abnormally high system requirements that blocks off anyone using a 1060 or a 1050ti and prevents midrange from bring able to max out the game easily.
OP: Plays games at max settings.
Also OP: Why am I getting bad frame rates with my shitty GPU from 6 years ago.

The 1060 was a (below) midrange chip when it came out.....its a potato today.
The RTX3060 is a midrange chip today, and it runs circles around the GTX1060.

If you can play the game at max settings with a GTX 1060, you are almost 100% going to hit engine limits if you use an RTX3060Ti....let alone an RTX3080 or something.

You want devs to keep their graphical loads stagnant?
Why buy a PS5 if you are playing games at PS4 settings?
Why bother making new GPUs at all if games are gonna be max'able with a GTX1060.

I fully agree with shader comp stutter which will hopefully be alleviated sooner rather than later.
But complaining that a game has high requirements is stupid.
Expecting a low/mid range card from 6 years ago to max out games today is even stupider

3GB of VRAM is obviously enough, why does the 4080 come with frikken 16GBs.....what a waste.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are the shader and stuttering issues something the developer can fix or is it up to the hardware makers????
Most games have a compilation run before you start the game.
That stops shader stuttering in its tracks.

Its up to devs to implement a shader comp run at the start of the game.
Nvidia/Intel/AMD/Apple could in theory make shader packs for games, but I really dont see that happening.
Devs just need to be smart about how/when their game compiles shaders.

Ah, Gaf, where the solution always is playstation.

Dude is unlucky to enjoy games with shitty ports, that still runs better than consoles of you have a decent rig.

Still pulling out 1440p on games with 120 fps or above.

You sacrifice framerate by playing on console which is crucial of you want to decide the amount of fps yourself.

Then add to that the inferior controls.

The PS5 fixed my marriage

PlayStation is always the solution, Mike

diffusionx

Gold Member
Are the shader and stuttering issues something the developer can fix or is it up to the hardware makers????
You can precompile the shaders and ship them with the game. Devs dont do that.

The big problem is that your first impression of a game is as a stuttering disaster. You would think they would want to avoid that, but it is the 2022 game industry.

Dude is unlucky to enjoy games with shitty ports, that still runs better than consoles of you have a decent rig.

You sacrifice framerate by playing on console which is crucial of you want to decide the amount of fps yourself.

Remember to choose option A if these troubles weigh heavily on your soul.

maxresdefault.jpg

Arun1910

This is why I don't pre-order games. Waiting for a DF performance analysis is now my go-to before (maybe) purchasing.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Cyberpunk was better on PC than consoles. Console versions were a total disaster.

Horizon ZD was fixed. It’s the definitive edition.

Sackboy fixed

Gotham Knights 30fps shitsville on consoles

Elden Ring was bad on consoles. The PS4 version in BC is better than the PS5 version lol.

PC Spiderman is superior to the PS5 version which runs at lower settings and worse RTX.

I mean, who are we kidding here? Bad PC ports are bad PC ports, and bad ports are even worse on consoles. Evil West has to run at 1080p if you want 60fps on a PS5 lol.

Developers need to be held to better standards, plain and simple. STOP preordering games and buying day one! Wait to hear how the port is at least before running out to buy these games.
Invalidates your otherwise outstanding take. If you want to war at least leave foolishness out of the conversation. Gives you a better leg to stand on. As an example.

Cyberpunk is so much better on PC that it is the definitive edition. The ray tracing implementation alone is miles above what current consoles are capable of.

Horizon ZD on PC is better than it is anywhere else.

They even fixed Sackboy.

Gotham Knights is a horrible game through and through on all systems but runs better on PC even though it does not run well.

Elden ring is amazing on all systems and optimized well enough. Despite its many problems on PC that's where I prefer to play it. (stating that the ps4 version is better when you can't even see the tree sentinel from the starting point in the background and he looks like he's moonwalking is absurd.)

PC spiderman is amazing with a system powerful enough to push its effects beyond what the PS5 is capable of.

That conversation would stand up better under scrutiny and sound less like a butthurt pc elitist.

Are there any big conspiracy theories about why this is a thing? Collusion between Microsoft and Sony? Microsoft is purposely making PC games suck? Steam going evil?

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Calisto has frigging broke me. It started with Horizon Zero's PC port with shader compilation issues up the wazoo, cyberpunk, then dying light, Elden ring, Spiderman, sackboy all having high as fuck PC requirements, Gotham knights looking like a terrible 2011 open world game while having system requirements higher than what it looks to need. And now we have callisto which is a laggy piece of shit on even the best PCs

If it isn't stuttering and shader compilation it's abnormally high system requirements that blocks off anyone using a 1060 or a 1050ti and prevents midrange from bring able to max out the game easily. The state of PC ports in 2022 is fucking embarrassing, half of the time a new, anticipated game gets buttfucked by a terrible PC port. Can developers not optimize anymore? I got my PC to get better performance than anything else and now I'm getting games laggier than a Kenyan's internet connection.

Here you go OP:

"From a development side, I like the ability to focus, and have help from them, you know, the top engineers at Xbox to say we are going to make this look incredible on the new systems PC, is like from my standpoint, it’s just awesome.” -Todd

:lollipop_beaming_smiling:

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
OP: Plays games at max settings.
Also OP: Why am I getting bad frame rates with my shitty GPU from 6 years ago.

The 1060 was a (below) midrange chip when it came out.....its a potato today.
The RTX3060 is a midrange chip today, and it runs circles around the GTX1060.

If you can play the game at max settings with a GTX 1060, you are almost 100% going to hit engine limits if you use an RTX3060Ti....let alone an RTX3080 or something.

You want devs to keep their graphical loads stagnant?
Why buy a PS5 if you are playing games at PS4 settings?
Why bother making new GPUs at all if games are gonna be max'able with a GTX1060.

I fully agree with shader comp stutter which will hopefully be alleviated sooner rather than later.
But complaining that a game has high requirements is stupid.
Expecting a low/mid range card from 6 years ago to max out games today is even stupider

3GB of VRAM is obviously enough, why does the 4080 come with frikken 16GBs.....what a waste.
My 8 gig rx570 was honestly doing pretty good at 1080p for me, was running most stuff at 60 FPS with high/mid settings. If it wasn't for VR I wouldn't have upgraded.
Most other issues can be solved by just waiting, with the added bonus of cheaper games. Cyberpunk ran flawless for me first time (which was last week) and was only $30, Horizon Zero Dawn - no issues (at least performance wise) and was $15.
UE4 stutter is the main issue currently, something about that engine is just borked on PC when they are pushing the graphics all out.

Umbasaborne

Banned
ka0pn0rt22n01.jpg

Lol hyperbole aside, you’re not wrong. Console and pc’s are basically the same thing at this point. No reason a 4090 pc should he stuttering with these games

Zoloft

Banned
After nearly 20 years of mainly gaming on PC,I have to say it is not worth the time spend on fixing shits anymore.
I am not even taking in consideration the bad ports topic.
Last month i spent a week trying to fix windows store+ xbox pc app+ gaming services app bugs.
Reistalled win 10, few hours in a problem of gamings services update occured.
I was forced to upgrade to win 11.
All fixed .but fuck it lot of time wasted on 100 diffrents workarrounds.
Microsoft is not serious about gaming on Pc.
Despite the freedom and advantage PC gave ,it not worth it anymore.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

It's not PC but the state of the industry as a whole.
Half baked, day 1 patch-needed, missing features, effectively early access games launching nowadays.
PC is a travesty given the GPU prices, and you're right, for the performance you get it's becoming harder to justify.
I think PC is still optimal if you have a lot of disposable income and can go for the highest end components. Going overkill on the hardware will hide many of the optimization problems.
But for all other sensible consumers I would absolutely recommend a PS5 (or a Series X if you don't like Sony's cinematic exclusives).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Calisto has frigging broke me. It started with Horizon Zero's PC port with shader compilation issues up the wazoo
You mean the game that had 15-30 minutes of shader compilation to avoid these issues? It also runs beautifully now.
, cyberpunk,
Shader compilation wasn`t an issue there. It also ran worse on console by a significant degree.
then dying light, Elden ring, Spiderman, sackboy all having high as fuck PC requirements,
Dying light with its RTGI is demanding. Imagine that. Elden Ring runs on fairly modest hardware so not sure what you`re on. Sackboy is also pretty forgiving provided you don`t crank up RT to the max. Spider-Man once again starts being heavily CPU-bound when you throw in RT.
Gotham knights looking like a terrible 2011 open world game while having system requirements higher than what it looks to need. And now we have callisto which is a laggy piece of shit on even the best PCs
Was shit everywhere.
If it isn't stuttering and shader compilation it's abnormally high system requirements that blocks off anyone using a 1060 or a 1050ti and prevents midrange from bring able to max out the game easily. The state of PC ports in 2022 is fucking embarrassing, half of the time a new, anticipated game gets buttfucked by a terrible PC port. Can developers not optimize anymore? I got my PC to get better performance than anything else and now I'm getting games laggier than a Kenyan's internet connection.
None of what you said in the OP is true. 1050 Ti and 1060 are firmly low-end now, they haven`t been mid-range in a while. These are old as fuck GPUs that are damn near a generation of consoles old.

Your complains would be valid if you had pointed to actual examples being unique to PC (such as the Callisto Protocol being shit or Uncharted 4 actually having astronomical requirements compared to the console version) but instead, you went on and spat a bunch of falsehoods and singled out PC for being poor when the issues affected every platform or weren`t issues at all (such as the shader compilation in HZD being a thing. The game was junk at launch and it wasn`t due to shader compilation problems).

Just seems like a troll who`s using the Callisto Protocol as an occasion to shit on PC under the guise of concern.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
PC gaming can be truly next-level shit, but instances like this (and others mentioned in the replies) sure do sell the reliability of console gaming.

Used to be that PC was the only place you could reliably play most games in 60FPS, but with that changing in the last few years the appeal of PC gaming has greatly diminished.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PC gaming can be truly next-level shit, but instances like this (and others mentioned in the replies) sure do sell the reliability of console gaming.

Used to be that PC was the only place you could reliably play most games in 60FPS, but with that changing in the last few years the appeal of PC gaming has greatly diminished.
I got bad news for you if you think most people play on PC just for 60fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe I'm crazy, but every single thread I see created by you involves dramatic headlines and constant complaining, is your life lacking that much joy and happiness?
I dont think of myself as a negative person, i think you only really look for the negative threads

Calisto has frigging broke me. It started with Horizon Zero's PC port with shader compilation issues up the wazoo, cyberpunk, then dying light, Elden ring, Spiderman, sackboy all having high as fuck PC requirements, Gotham knights looking like a terrible 2011 open world game while having system requirements higher than what it looks to need. And now we have callisto which is a laggy piece of shit on even the best PCs

Well, at least most of the companies hire freaks with unknown genders, so you should be happy for the trash broken games, as long as you help create an inclusive and safe space for these mentals.

tumblr_mf7gh7kXuw1rkzusmo1_250.gif

new consoles come out and generally have the upper hand for the first couple years, then PCs absolutely obliterate consoles for the rest of the gen.

TonyK

PC has been my main platform almost all my life, since Spectrum, Amstrad, MSX, PC... I had all consoles but I always felt PC is the superior platform. But at some point I get tired of updates, drivers, weird problems, configurations, etc. Even if I was able to solve all those problems due to my experience with PC it ended being too tiring.

My no turning point was the Horizon Zero Dawn PC Port. With that game I said never again. And since then I only played consoles and I don't plan to return to PC.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm surprised to hear the Sony PC ports are pretty pants.

Didn't they literally purchase Nixxes for PC ports? Who usually do an excellent job?

Filben

Just read the reviews of "Stutter Protocol" and thought it would be about Calisto Protocol.

What's with this new level of dev incompetence that they can't fix this? This has rarely been an issue in the past. Get yourself some personelle who can handle the issues for fuck's sake. If you can't handle DX12/UE engine, don't use it. Played Shadow of the Tomb Raider with DX12 and RT and had zero issues. Get some guys from Nixxes.

Anyways, went for the PS5 version because it doesn't have RT anyways. I don't want to deal with this anymore.

I knew this thread was going to be made after the fiasco the devs brought upon themselves with this game. I also knew console fanboys are gonna take this opportunity to stupidly hijack your thread and leave drive-by posts dissing PC gaming as a whole, before even clicking on your thread. It's an insanely easy thought pattern to predict.

Blame the developers, not the platform. There are a million choices wen it comes to PC gaming - its strength lies in its customizability and longevity. There are gonna be bad apples here and there, and there are gonna be some head scratchers here and there. What did you expect? No disadvantages? The reason why PC gaming and console gaming can co-exist is because each offer a different experience with set advantages and disadvantages. Also, apart from Gotham Knights and Callisto, your examples aren't relevant today.

Fuck's sake, i swear its the same shit and the same complaints since the 90s.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just seems like a troll who`s using the Callisto Protocol as an occasion to shit on PC under the guise of concern.
I was never trying to say PC was the problem I'm saying developers can't optimize for shit.. all these ports had problems at launch whereas beforehand PC ports ran well (mostly... Arkham Knight was a thing)

fermcr

Stop supporting these developers. Simply ask for a refund or don't buy the game.
I wanted to play Callisto, but after knowing about all the problems, didn't purchase it. Perfectly fine with that decision.

IF I purchase it in the future it will have to be heavily discounted... or probably I'll just forget about the game and never purchase it.

Jada_Li

Banned

I had a lot of fun with Horizon Zero Dawn and didn't have any shader compilation issues, so that seems to be one of those nuanced problems as it could depend on the computer configuration/settings. Cyberpunk 2077 also played fine for me though the usual glitches but nothing game breaking or anything I ran into that prevented me from finishing the game. Dying Light also plays fine with no issue for me and the other games I don't have on PC yet.

Hmm...it seems this is a part of your issue. You say you're maxing out the settings on a mid-range gaming computer and then expect high-end recommended system requirement results. Also, better performance is the exact opposite of what you're doing and going for...I think you mean better quality, as in, good looking forsaking performance. Meeting minimum system requirements means one can play but doesn't mean it will play flawlessly at the limitation of the computer hardware, which is not the fault of the game. I don't get it though, why is playing on high, max/ultra so important? Personally for me, normal runs great and still looks great and it's not too taxing on my computer. However, I do play around in the settings to see what works and what doesn't. So sometimes I'm able to play on high or max/ultra with great performance depending on the game.

The developers don't have to hold back potential for a good PC port just so low-end and mid-range can play. That's kind if they do but usually that stifles the potential and then what's even the point of a PC Port if it's exactly the same as the console version. Because while the new gen is good, PC is usually ahead of the game and always have been the more expensive hobby compared to video game consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom