• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ultimately the real problem is that twitter has become unusable.

I follow the events of Ukraine and everytime I checked twitter I'd see tweets from accounts I read or react to. These days everytime I search for ukrainian keywords like bahkmut I get showered by russian disinfo trolls, severed of which put me on their ignore list after I kept pointing them that they're spanish language is good, but not good enough to pass as a native (which is related to a language quirk that you wouldn't realize of if you're simply translating which is what they do). I also have to dig into search to find nafo memes, which has made twitter less fun to use.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
After Musk ran off Twitter's top paying advertisers, and screwed long time blue check marks over with this "pay to play" blue checks... Not to mention all the different "beefs" he's had with different people, including his employees, I don't know if Twitter can be saved at this point.

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage is correct... Had Musk implemented certain services to ADD value to Twitter instead of taking value away and put behind a paywall... Things might actually be better at this point.
We'll all have to see how it pans out after another year or two. It' too early to tell.

Some advertisers may have bailed, but he also got rid of half the employees. It's a balancing act. And since Twitter is now private we probably will never know since financials dont have to be disclosed.

Our company expanded people for years (we've always grown people count), but we just chopped our sales in half for a couple of our biggest brands the past 5 years. A few we 100% discontinued. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sales down, people costs up??? But in reality, we're growing sales and profits. We chopped off our high cost brands and put people into selling and marketing more for our more profitable brands that didnt get enough attention because those bigger brands took up too much of people's time. Despite the people count growing, we also let go of redundant positions which never got refilled.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Can we get a thread title change? The whole joke about stepping down is now old and there's been like 50 different batshit ideas since then, maybe a basic title like "Elon's Twitter Fun"?
Apropos thread title change!
The best part of this Carnival, is that we are enjoying it for FREEEEEEE :)
As stupid fun cornivals should be a Merry-Go-Round...

ZF5Mm8L.gif

Reallink

Labeling a capitalist company as "far left" seems incomprehensibly exaggerated to the point self-deprecation...er, no doubt. Playstation is moderate, those against moderate policies could be considered far on one side or another.

Not wanting to support platforming far sided things of a political nature that could harm those they love or themselves, as the communities gradually move to other services, is sensible.

It's sweet people really believe companies are "woke" or right or left.

They only care about money and will temporarily adopt whatever is hot in society to chase MORE money.

Playstation corporate's only goal is placating their studios and talent pool, which are their bread winners. Lest we not forget Jim Ryan's completely benign internal memo on abortion that led to public uprisings and IIRC some staged walkouts from their studios. The last thing Playstation wants is another one of those cause Musk decided to let Twitter users call men in dresses men. Remember their most expensive studio, and one they're paying billions to retain the talent of, have trademarked internal activist groups (Black At Bungie, Tran At Bungie) whose only purpose is to promote political takes on social media.

Last edited:

CGNoire

It's sweet people really believe companies are "woke" or right or left.

They only care about money and will temporarily adopt whatever is hot in society to chase MORE money.
I dont think that matters to the antiwoke. Its about the companies continued parroting and reinforceing of the woke doctrine that there upset about not whether or not its sincere or not.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Musk didn't really understand the reason for the blue checks... And now ... Yeah. Sorry it got removed. I know on other platforms how much they help.
Exactly. Of course all his nut huggers are out there buying their checks and acting like it's making a statement for them freeze peeches, when in actuality it's completely lost its purpose and wrecked whatever legitimacy the platform had left. Ad revenue is completely in the tank and there's absolutely zero chance there will be enough fools willing to part with their money and pranksters or phishing outfits out there willing to pay $8 to make it worthwhile.

Twitter before Musk had its fair share of problems, but now it's just an absolute joke hardly discernable from any of the two bit knockoffs, and only then because not everyone worth listening to has bailed...yet

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Every president in my lifetime has, at some point, peed on our heads and told us it was rain. So don't take this as criticism of a party or politician. This is just an example of why the media and those in power hate the internet, and want to control speech. They'd be hating Musk even if he wasn't doing all sorts of stupid things. He sure is giving them plenty of ammunition to help them discredit both him and Twitter, though.

You will have to click the tweet itself to see the community note, because they do not embed.

Please note the number of likes compared to the number of views. That response is now up to 66.7k likes with 1.4 million views. The original tweet is now at 48.6k with 29 million views.

RAÏSanÏa

Every president in my lifetime has, at some point, peed on our heads and told us it was rain. So don't take this as criticism of a party or politician. This is just an example of why the media and those in power hate the internet, and want to control speech. They'd be hating Musk even if he wasn't doing all sorts of stupid things. He sure is giving them plenty of ammunition to help them discredit both him and Twitter, though.

You will have to click the tweet itself to see the community note, because they do not embed.

Please note the number of likes compared to the number of views. That response is now up to 66.7k likes with 1.4 million views. The original tweet is now at 48.6k with 29 million views.

You're overstating the influence from the illusion of online prominence that a gadfly can exert. "an example why the media and those in power hate the internet" is quite the inflated emotional assertion you make about the "media/those in power bogeyman"(scary!) created to project upon. Does reason number 6 surprise?! It's of little general influence beyond the scene it makes. People go to hear the person talking and scan past that sort of thing. People don't autotrust Twitter 2.0 or political activists looking for a gotcha beyond creating noise for their own echochambers.

Last edited:

You can vote for anti-union policies and still be the most pro-union president America has ever had. That's how fucked the politics are. So I don't agree with the community note, because it's not attacking the statement directly.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
You're overstating the influence from the illusion of online prominence that a gadfly can exert. "an example why the media and those in power hate the internet" is quite the inflated emotional assertion you make about the "media/those in power bogeyman"(scary!) created to project upon. Does reason number 6 surprise?! It's of little general influence beyond the scene it makes. People go to hear the person talking and scan past that sort of thing. People don't autotrust Twitter 2.0 or political activists looking for a gotcha beyond creating noise for their own echochambers.
You have a point, here. A claim that those in power hate the internet is a bit lacking, to be honest. It doesn't tell the whole story. People in power do very much like using the internet to spread their message. The only thing they hate is when they can't control it, and when that gets in the way of what they want everyone to believe. It's why you tube dislikes were hidden, why the government involved themselves in censoring legal speech on twitter, why media can't stop writing about "disinformation" without ever acknowledging all the things they get wrong (including all the things they labeled misinformation that turned out to be true), why they write hit pieces on other journalists if they disagree with them, etc.

The last several years sure have been enlightening.

RAÏSanÏa

You have a point, here. A claim that those in power hate the internet is a bit lacking, to be honest. It doesn't tell the whole story. People in power do very much like using the internet to spread their message. The only thing they hate is when they can't control it, and when that gets in the way of what they want everyone to believe. It's why you tube dislikes were hidden, why the government involved themselves in censoring legal speech on twitter, why media can't stop writing about "disinformation" without ever acknowledging all the things they get wrong (including all the things they labeled misinformation that turned out to be true), why they write hit pieces on other journalists if they disagree with them, etc.

The last several years sure have been enlightening.
There's too much imagined persecution about the policies legislated by companies being misunderstood and misdirected to being attributed to the various layers of democratic governments in some hero fantasy of oppression. It's one of the things that made Musk look so erratic when he implied the twitter files or some shit was going to get him killed.

Elon is a bitch.

You have to pay $1000 upfront to apply for the organization check, and if you don’t get approved you don’t get refunded the $1000, twitter keeps the money.

What a piece of shit product.

Edit: If you are insane enough to pay for twitter blue, only pay with your credit card so you can charge his ass back when he eventually tries to steal from you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom