• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Humans haven't even figured out how to correctly coexist with earth after this long. Were breaking down its basic functions and distrupting them to unprecedented levels.
Well, I see some of these issues coming down to resource scarcity, which is why I think this reusable rocket tech is a benefit. Take star link: the cost of delivering high speed internet to remote locations has plummeted due to how many of these satellites can be deployed for a fraction of the cost it would previously take.

Trying to do it on a planet that is far less habitable and thus far less cooperative is a waste of time to me, a distraction at this current stage. We should work out the necessities of maintaining a healthy society on a plenty BEFORE we find a new one to screw up.

Also, we'd be wholly reliant on corporate powers to sustain our living at the base level. A group of people here can go start a society somewhere and live off the land if they really wanted too. On another planet, you'd only be able to go where those powers allow you to go. You'd need constant support and upkeep from what id essentially a corporation supplying you with the capacity to live.

Count me out of all that. Earth is plenty for this guy. But something tells me ill be dead long before that becomes a legitimate option
Yeah I don’t think Mars is the solution to what ails us, but we’ve found incredible solutions for us by daring to go to the moon, or establish space stations in orbit, etc. Putting a human on Mars won’t solve our problems, but we’ll solve a lot of problems putting a human on Mars

Toons

Well, I see some of these issues coming down to resource scarcity, which is why I think this reusable rocket tech is a benefit. Take star link: the cost of delivering high speed internet to remote locations has plummeted due to how many of these satellites can be deployed for a fraction of the cost it would previously take.

Yeah I don’t think Mars is the solution to what ails us, but we’ve found incredible solutions for us by daring to go to the moon, or establish space stations in orbit, etc. Putting a human on Mars won’t solve our problems, but we’ll solve a lot of problems putting a human on Mars

Scarcity is rapidly becoming a corporate greed issue rather than an actual logistics issue. In some ways irs been that for a while. The good industry or the Healthcare industry for example. Theres plenty to go around and everyone knows if. Corporate greed keeps that from happening.

I dont see stuff like that improving under corporate sponsored space travel/moon habitats(and they WILL be corporate sponsored)

Eiknarf

Banned
I don’t know if there’s a point to existing if it isn’t to aspire to better and greater things. The same reusable rocket tech that can put people on Mars can be used to mine precious minerals on asteroids, for example. Humans will have to leave Earth eventually, and we won’t unless we try.
Of course we should aspire to do better and greater things.
But there are places right here on our very own “Goldilocks earth” that are uninhabitable. And that’s earth where we already live!! So there’s no way we’re gonna make a whole uninhabitable planet habitable.
And this is not a knock against Musk. He is a genius. He comes off strange to some and acts odd to others because he is on the spectrum… just like the other geniuses before him such as Tesla and Einstein and Darwin and Michelangelo and Isaac Newton and Mozart etc

People also get pissed at Elon because he pointed out how the left has moved far too left while he remains in the middle which now makes him appear to be on the right.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Scarcity is rapidly becoming a corporate greed issue rather than an actual logistics issue. In some ways irs been that for a while. The good industry or the Healthcare industry for example. Theres plenty to go around and everyone knows if. Corporate greed keeps that from happening.

I dont see stuff like that improving under corporate sponsored space travel/moon habitats(and they WILL be corporate sponsored)
Maybe, but I don’t see corporate greed as inherently evil if kept in check by market forces. If the market wants cheaper minerals and reusable rockets make that possible, then we get cheaper minerals. If we get them from asteroids, then that means less environmental damage on earth, fewer greenhouse gases, etc. We can have both a better world and make money at the same time. I work in med devices…my motivation comes from supporting my family, sure, but at the end of the day the products I’m helping get to the market reduce pain, or have better outcomes, or cost less…if not there’s no point in making them, because they’d flop. Making money doing what I do is also beneficial to patients, it’s not a mutually exclusive game where greed means everyone gets screwed.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Caring about your own conviction and public image, and wanting to be transparent and honest with one's base, is not something that should be soun negatively. Its something Elon should be imitating if anything.
It is when the reason for caring is based on an absurdity. There's no reason to feel guilty or ashamed for paying for twitter blue. This is public figures pandering to internet bullies who want to mock someone for doing nothing wrong.

I legitimately think there are some people out there who would like to pay for it, but don't want to because they're afraid of being mocked by trolls.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is when the reason for caring is based on an absurdity. There's no reason to feel guilty or ashamed for paying for twitter blue. This is public figures pandering to internet bullies who want to mock someone for doing nothing wrong.

I legitimately think there are some people out there who would like to pay for it, but don't want to because they're afraid of being mocked by trolls.
IMO, being mocked at is kind of true.

In life, when you pay for something you get something. It can be a bag of apples or help filing taxes. A Spotify subscription or a box of 5000 staples.

Social media blue badges is none of that. It's just some kind of proof of purchase that it's Me, Me, Me telling the whole world Joe Bob McCheese posts on Twitter and pays for verification thinking he's so important he's willing to pay for a badge of honour.

At least a guy who buys a Ferrari polo shirt to go with his Ferrari has something to brag about. The majority of people on Twitter paying for a blue checkmark are not famous people or corporations who might need that for sake of preventing phonies pretending to be them. Nobody is going to care or pretend to be Joe Bob or his wife Jenny Betty. But some reason Joe and Jenny think that are that important to the world of social media they feel pressured to buy it. They want the badge but dont want to pay $100/yr for something theyve already been using for 10 years for free.

If I was a social media site I'd test the waters too and see if it works out in the long run. It's no different than video games and cosmetic mtx. Dumb shit that doesn't even affect the game. Just people blowing their money on hats and pants to prove to the world they are unique so get a look at me. Mtx started small, but it caught on. Now it's the biggest money maker for some studios making more revenue than even selling the game it goes with.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
IMO, being mocked at is kind of true.

In life, when you pay for something you get something. It can be a bag of apples or help filing taxes. A Spotify subscription or a box of 5000 staples.

Social media blue badges is none of that. It's just some kind of proof of purchase that it's Me, Me, Me telling the whole world Joe Bob McCheese posts on Twitter and pays for verification thinking he's so important he's willing to pay for a badge of honour.

At least a guy who buys a Ferrari polo shirt to go with his Ferrari has something to brag about. The majority for people on Twitter paying for a blue checkmark are not famous people or corporations who might need that for sake of preventing phonies pretending to be them. Nobody is going to care or pretend to be Joe Bob or his wife Jenny Betty. But some reason Joe and Jenny think that are that important to the world of social media.

If I was a social media site I'd test the waters too and see if it works out in the long run. It's no different than video games and cosmetic mtx. Dumb shit that doesn't even affect the game. Just people blowing their money on hats and pants to prove to the world they are unique so get a look at me.
If it was just paying for a badge I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But I believe(I don't have it) it also comes with the ability to edit tweets, posting much longer tweets without character limit, and posted unlimited length videos. So there are features that I could see being attractive to people who use it a lot. And also with twitter blue I think you can keep 2FA if I remember correctly.

This really is no different than what a lot of companies are doing generally today. They have a product that a lot of people like, and then to try and monetize it better, they make the experience less quality for free users and want you to pay to regain features or get more features. Youtube used to be ad free and then after that it would have ads randomly sprinkled throughout videos that you could just skip over. Now, if you don't pay for premium you get mandatory 15 second ads at the beginning of almost every video(unless you use ad blocker in a browser).

Netflix is taking away password sharing.

Best Buy took away rewards for non paying members.

LastPass did it a few years ago. Etc. It's all over. Twitter is just more of the same, I don't look at it as any different. I would if twitter blue was just paying for a checkmark.

Last edited:
There's too much imagined persecution about the policies legislated by companies being misunderstood and misdirected to being attributed to the various layers of democratic governments in some hero fantasy of oppression.

It's not the policies of companies that was responsible for the worst of the censorship. People assumed it was, or that bias on the part of twitter employees played a bigger part, but that wasn't the case. It was the government involving themselves in the censoring of legal speech. It was your tax dollars being used to protect the government from criticism.

Full text from the complete tweet, with some of the more political elements reworded. Changes denoted in bold italics. Please see full tweet for the original post:

Recently, independent journalists @mtaibbi @shellenberger @bariweiss have been exposing a massive censorship operation by the US government to control content on social media and eliminate any dissenting voices. Have you read their reporting? Or are you listening to the embarrassed, compromised hacks from the media that are covering their tracks? Could be the most important story related to our personal freedoms in the US and it’s being buried. Mainstream media have not only ignored the story but now attack the journalists, effectively serving as a thuggish censorship arm of the government. Meanwhile several people in government have threatend journalist Matt Taibbi with jail time. What an embarrassing, shameful time for those in the government doing this and the ‘free’ press. You are losing any shred of credibility you had, you fucking fools.
Oh, and by the way #FreeAssange

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It's not the policies of companies that was responsible for the worst of the censorship. People assumed it was, or that bias on the part of twitter employees played a bigger part, but that wasn't the case. It was the government involving themselves in the censoring of legal speech. It was your tax dollars being used to protect the government from criticism.

Full text from the complete tweet, with some of the more political elements reworded. Changes denoted in bold italics. Please see full tweet for the original post:

Recently, independent journalists @mtaibbi @shellenberger @bariweiss have been exposing a massive censorship operation by the US government to control content on social media and eliminate any dissenting voices. Have you read their reporting? Or are you listening to the embarrassed, compromised hacks from the media that are covering their tracks? Could be the most important story related to our personal freedoms in the US and it’s being buried. Mainstream media have not only ignored the story but now attack the journalists, effectively serving as a thuggish censorship arm of the government. Meanwhile several people in government have threatend journalist Matt Taibbi with jail time. What an embarrassing, shameful time for those in the government doing this and the ‘free’ press. You are losing any shred of credibility you had, you fucking fools.
Oh, and by the way #FreeAssange

This frantic conspiracy stuff to work up the weak minded is unhealthy to obsess over. "Eliminate any dissenting voices"? Really? A person would have to be completely irrational to believe things said like this.

Toons

Caring about being painted as a hypocrite through no action of your own isn't absurd.

For whatever reason Elon is doing this, it makes perfect sense for those who are against something to make clear they remain against it in instances like these. If anyone actually were to speak against something and still pay for it/support it financially we'd rightfully drag em for it.

This frantic conspiracy stuff to work up the weak minded is unhealthy to obsess over. "Eliminate any dissenting voices"? Really? A person would have to be completely irrational to believe things said like this.

I took "any dissenting voices" to mean anyone saying something the government doesn't like can be a target. Any voice can be silenced. And if you saw some of the ridiculously moderate statements that were flagged by government officials for censorship, I think there's a strong argument to be made that's a completely factual statement.

Do you honestly believe that Tim Robbins believes that every person on twitter who disagreed with anything the government said was subsequently banned from the platform? I don't think Tim Robbins believes that, and I know I've never made such a claim. That would be completely irrational. We're in agreement. But I really don't think anyone is arguing that.

RAÏSanÏa

I took "any dissenting voices" to mean anyone saying something the government doesn't like can be a target. Any voice can be silenced. And if you saw some of the ridiculously moderate statements that were flagged by government officials for censorship, I think there's a strong argument to be made that's a completely factual statement.

Do you honestly believe that Tim Robbins believes that every person on twitter who disagreed with anything the government said was subsequently banned from the platform? I don't think Tim Robbins believes that, and I know I've never made such a claim. That would be completely irrational. We're in agreement. But I really don't think anyone is arguing that.
His saying "massive censorship operation by the US government to control content on social media..." seems to imply that he does believe that or, maybe, doesn't want to use specific language to appear rational.

He goes on with unfounded personal adjectives "embarrassed, compromised hacks from the media that are covering their tracks" to make s such a stupid generalized accusation to support the former.

"most important story related to our personal freedoms in the US and it’s being buried" Maybe it's not that important, it's just the usual oversight, and that being a blowhard about it being "the most important EVAR!" is easily dismissed hyperbole.

" journalists, effectively serving as a thuggish censorship arm of the government." .... is just fantasizing an enemy of everyone that doesn't get on this dummies bandwagon. "If they don't talk about my think then they're enemies...hurrrr."

A person would have to be feebleminded to fall for, believe, and follow that shit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This twitter thread is *chef's kiss*.

Everyone knew he was doing this, what his true interests are, and that he's a childish liar. But it's still amusing to see it.

jn3XZaq.jpg

the librarian tweet on that young girl's pic is creepy.
That's not a young girl. That's the FTX guy's girlfriend. She's 28. He most likely making fun of the way she looked. Or I guess he could actually have a thing for nerdy librarians, but I don't think his dating history shows that.

Last edited:
His saying "massive censorship operation by the US government to control content on social media..." seems to imply that he does believe that or, maybe, doesn't want to use specific language to appear rational.

He goes on with unfounded personal adjectives "embarrassed, compromised hacks from the media that are covering their tracks" to make s such a stupid generalized accusation to support the former.

"most important story related to our personal freedoms in the US and it’s being buried" Maybe it's not that important, it's just the usual oversight, and that being a blowhard about it being "the most important EVAR!" is easily dismissed hyperbole.

" journalists, effectively serving as a thuggish censorship arm of the government." .... is just fantasizing an enemy of everyone that doesn't get on this dummies bandwagon. "If they don't talk about my think then they're enemies...hurrrr."

A person would have to be feebleminded to fall for, believe, and follow that shit.
There are a lot of people who would accuse you of "tone policing" here, but not me. I make a point to be careful in my word choice. You can attack arguments without insulting those who disagree, and it makes your arguments weaker when you use insulting terminology. If you get too heated, you end up just preaching to the choir.

You should consider applying that logic to yourself, though. You've used plenty of pejoratives in your last few posts.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

There are a lot of people who would accuse you of "tone policing" here, but not me. I make a point to be careful in my word choice. You can attack arguments without insulting those who disagree, and it makes your arguments weaker when you use insulting terminology. If you get too heated, you end up just preaching to the choir.

You should consider applying that logic to yourself, though. You've used plenty of pejoratives in your last few posts.
The garbage you keep pushing speaks for you.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This twitter thread is *chef's kiss*.

Everyone knew he was doing this, what his true interests are, and that he's a childish liar. But it's still amusing to see it.

jn3XZaq.jpg

One of the richest people on earth and he spends his time being upset on Twitter and shitposting.

It's honestly insane how fucking absurd he is.

When Elon heard people saying things like "there is a price to be paid for free speech, but it is absolutely worth that cost," I'm not so sure he understood they weren't talking in terms monetary value.

This is not free speech. Tesla can make a car that drives itself, but I'm supposed to believe that Musk is powerless when it comes to creating a way to identify probable bots, and that the only solution is to pay money for your speech to be heard? Again, that's not free speech.

Last edited:

Hoddi

One of the richest people on earth and he spends his time being upset on Twitter and shitposting.

It's honestly insane how fucking absurd he is.
Shitposting is an underrated skill. Elon shitposting is one of those things that I find more endearing about him.

He's just so bad at it.

When Elon heard people saying things like "there is a price to be paid for free speech, but it is absolutely worth that cost," I'm not so sure he understood they weren't talking in terms monetary value.

This is not free speech. Tesla can make a car that drives itself, but I'm supposed to believe that Musk is powerless when it comes to creating a way to identify probable bots, and that the only solution is to pay money for your speech to be heard? Again, that's not free speech.

$$$ rules everything around us. “Free Speech” is just marketing/branding at this point.

Elon needs to make money, and twitter will become pay to use as a result. Just watch. He’s desperate.

Last edited:

Toons

Im wondering how far he's willing to push this pay model.

Are users gonna have to pay to not have ads at some point too? I could see that happening if it hasn't already

Punished Miku

Gold Member

He understood. He's just a legendary liar and a lot of people fell for it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So…Jack’s thing seems to be gaining steam? At least, people I follow seem to be trying to get over there. And I might just follow them over if it takes off

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Isnt it just a prettied up Mastodon server?
I honestly have no idea, I’m just seeing a bunch of people I follow all the sudden say check them out over there and when I googled it, it said Jack was behind it so maybe that lends it some more credibility 🤷‍♀️

Toons

There's such thing as a pedo flag? Crazy world. I'm all for democracy and stuff, but sometimes you just got to put a muzzle on people.

I dont think that there's a such thing, this idiot just tried to make one.

This is precisely why the "free speech absolutist" thing is BS on Twitter. These folks need to be removed from the platform.

I dont think that there's a such thing, this idiot just tried to make one.

This is precisely why the "free speech absolutist" thing is BS on Twitter. These folks need to be removed from the platform.
You can't use slurs either, and you never could. Elon was stupid to ever use those words, or claim "anything legal" because never ran the platform that way, and he never intended to. I don't think the vast majority of people who like Elon even want content like that on there. It was bad messaging from the start, and it makes him into a hypocrite, when none of that needed to be the case.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can't use slurs either, and you never could. Elon was stupid to ever use those words, or claim "anything legal" because never ran the platform that way, and he never intended to. I don't think the vast majority of people who like Elon even want content like that on there. It was bad messaging from the start, and it makes him into a hypocrite, when none of that needed to be the case.

I just did a search and found the N word (with hard -er) in twitter names

It absolutely did need to be the case so that the PR of his purchase stuck

I just did a search and found the N word (with hard -er) in twitter names
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You could find these words on twitter before and after Musk. But you can also be banned for them before and after Musk. Or maybe Musk is more focused on his "freedom of reach" thing, and generally you won't find tweets like that unless you're looking for them. I'm pretty sure it's still against the rules of the site, though.

I think at worst Twitter claimed there was a 5x increase in slurs for a short while, after Musk bought twitter. So either there was five times barely anything, or there was 5 times what already was a lot. Either way, there's supposed to be a lot less than that now.

I'd be all for a specific list of banned words, though. As I've said before, I can see why the government shouldn't ban words, but on social media I'm fine with slurs being banned. They're not needed. Lists of banned words also can really help with transparency.

Eiknarf

Banned
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You could find these words on twitter before and after Musk. But you can also be banned for them before and after Musk. Or maybe Musk is more focused on his "freedom of reach" thing, and generally you won't find tweets like that unless you're looking for them. I'm pretty sure it's still against the rules of the site, though.

I think at worst Twitter claimed there was a 5x increase in slurs for a short while, after Musk bought twitter. So either there was five times barely anything, or there was 5 times what already was a lot. Either way, there's supposed to be a lot less than that now.

I'd be all for a specific list of banned words, though. As I've said before, I can see why the government shouldn't ban words, but on social media I'm fine with slurs being banned. They're not needed. Lists of banned words also can really help with transparency.
But sometimes when you ban a word, you give it more power.

Wanna have a specific word lose it’s power? Have everyone shout it from the rooftops. Post it everywhere.

nerd, fuck, shit,
noone gives a damn anymore if they're called a nerd.
fuck and shit basically turned into filler words that mostly have no meaning when used

true, "curse" words get milder over time especially as society moves away from their religious origins, but the words are kept because they still do have an impact as form of expression, even if it's milder...to move the goalposts a little though, and I don't think things like nerd, geek, anorak count here, there's more cases where we've gone the opposite way for words that point to or categorise some immutable characteristic and it's those words that I don't think the rule of "shout it from the rooftops" can ever apply, or can it?

Banned
true, "curse" words get milder over time especially as society moves away from their religious origins, but the words are kept because they still do have an impact as form of expression, even if it's milder...to move the goalposts a little though, and I don't think things like nerd, geek, anorak count here, there's more cases where we've gone the opposite way for words that point to or categorise some immutable characteristic and it's those words that I don't think the rule of "shout it from the rooftops" can ever apply, or can it?

the words dumb and stupid at one point meant the same thing as retarded and were used as a slur for disabled people.

dumb originally was a slur for people with speech impediments... today it's just a word, it's not even a bad word, it's a word you can say on American kids TV.

Stupid once meant mentally disabled, being in an almost vegetative state.

today the word Retarded is offensive to many, yet it's just the next word in a list of words that eventually became tame

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
do you have any example where that's actually worked?
Well…

It’s not only common sense, it’s psychology 101

Do you think, for example, banning the N-word would make it go away?? Make it lose its meaning?

No. It’s a fact that banning that word would give it more power. Even now, limiting only blacks to be able to say it gives it more power when whites or Asians or Latinos say it

And when blacks DO say it, it’s still bleeped!!

So as we can see, that word isn’t even banned and yet it’s already more powerful

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well…

It’s not only common sense, it’s psychology 101

Do you think, for example, banning the N-word would make it go away?? Make it lose its meaning?

No. It’s a fact that banning that word would give it more power. Even now, limiting only blacks to be able to say it gives it more power when whites or Asians or Latinos say it

And when blacks DO say it, it’s still bleeped!!

So as we can see, that word isn’t even banned and yet it’s already more powerful
100% true.

Typically in prime network TV (at least in Canada and US) swear words have been censored for ages, but the word Piss somehow became ok. You'll hear it. Does anyone care a once stricken cuss word is now more and more common? Nobody cares.

As or Black people (often times rappers in music videos) saying 'Nigga and such being allowed doesn't even make sense. So it's supposed to be a taboo offensive word. Yet 100% allowed if a Black person says it. That sure makes sense. /S

Eiknarf

Banned
100% true.

Typically in prime network TV (at least in Canada and US) swear words have been censored for ages, but the word Piss somehow became ok. You'll hear it. Does anyone care a once stricken cuss word is now more and more common? Nobody cares.

As or Black people (often times rappers in music videos) saying 'Nigga and such being allowed doesn't even make sense. So it's supposed to be a taboo offensive word. Yet 100% allowed if a Black person says it. That sure makes sense. /S
Yeah

Besides, the N-word already having more power is opposite of what was desired -

The minute any word has that much power, as far as I'm concerned, everyone on the planet should scream it. No word deserves that much power. Why give it so much power? That’s on society, then!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
as a whole what many people seem to not really understand, be it really not understanding it or acting like they don't in order to put themselves on a pedestal, is that words themselves in most cases never have any meaning.

like "fuck"... what does fuck mean? it has no meaning out of context.

"Fuck me", what does that mean? out of context you don't know. it could mean someone is asking another person to engage in sexual activities with them... or it could mean someone just lost a bet in a casino and is now sad about it... or it could mean the person saying it is astonished by something they just saw, like "fuck me that car was fast!".

Calling someone an idiot can mean a friendly jab among friends, it can mean someone is disappointed of someone, it can be a slur to demean someone you don't like... standing alone, the word has a vague meaning but you can't know if it's malicious or friendly.

I will never understand people that give any word any power, or meaning, outside of a clear context it is bring used in.
That’s the PC Police for ya! They suck.

Political correctness IS the new bigotry!

Political correctness, an ideology claimed by its proponents to be about “fairness and equality”, is actually an extremely bigoted ideology – it’s a new form of bigotry

The assumption promoted by the pc police that nobody should ever do or say anything that might be deemed offensive by someone else is directly contradicted by the PC police’s promotion of superficial identity group boxes such as those found on equality monitoring forms.

On these forms our individuality is cast aside and we are asked to categorize ourselves according to divisive group descriptions. The PC Police claim to promote ethnic color blindness so that we see each other as people instead of skin colours, yet they ask us to label ourselves by skin color on these monitoring forms. These divisive tick box forms promote a culture of “us and them” perceptions.
It comes down to society and government choosing which taboo stuff are OK to use and which arent.

For example, I'm pretty sure people didnt say Shit and Fuck a lot long time ago. And you can even see that in media (film and latenight TV shows). Hardly any back then. It was all pretty prim and proper. But over time, tons of slang and cuss words are now normal. People say this all the time in life and gritter media has this in spades. Nudity is the same. The further you go back in time, the more covered up people are. It wasnt that long ago women wore gigantic dresses and men dressed in tight suits in the middle of summer! Their clothes must have had the biggest sweat stains ever. Now it can get as skimpy as you can get. All normalized. And media followed with porn being the extreme. I dont think anyone really cares about T&A and porn because it's so easily accessible now. But back in the late 90s when the masses all signed up to the net, everyone (me included) were checking out porn sites like a smorgusbord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom