• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This discussion about the power of the N-word is weird because we've had this discussion before and when black posters have chimed in, they/we got shut down because... What do we know? Nevermind that many black people don't like it when other black people say it with the -a.

It's like the LOOOONG HISTORY of that word (which wasn't started by black people or any POC) wasn't detestable or is still is. The reason black people still use that word is because it was normalized in the south during and after slavery... It's gonna take time for that to be phased out in popular culture... Especially in rap music (which wasn't IN hip hop music when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s).

I get what y'all are trying to say but from a certain perspective it sounds like arguing FOR white people being allowed to say it in public without repercussions. When white people weren't called that for centuries and even today.

I mean no disrespect to anyone... I'm trying to state my opinion and perception of the discussion and how it makes me feel, personally.

Eiknarf

Banned
This discussion about the power of the N-word is weird because we've had this discussion before and when black posters have chimed in, they/we got shut down because... What do we know? Nevermind that many black people don't like it when other black people say it with the -a.

It's like the LOOOONG HISTORY of that word (which wasn't started by black people or any POC) wasn't detestable or is still is. The reason black people still use that word is because it was normalized in the south during and after slavery... It's gonna take time for that to be phased out in popular culture... Especially in rap music (which wasn't IN hip hop music when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s).

I get what y'all are trying to say but from a certain perspective it sounds like arguing FOR white people being allowed to say it in public without repercussions. When white people weren't called that for centuries and even today.

I mean no disrespect to anyone... I'm trying to state my opinion and perception of the discussion and how it makes me feel, personally.
Well, it’s in rap music because black people reclaimed it- and rightfully so.

Just like how women are reclaiming the word, “bitch” and making it their own after it being so derogatory for so long.

I see your perspective on assuming that some whites wanna perhaps say it without any repercussions… maybe that’s true for some. But we can’t live in a society where only certain people are permitted a word while others aren’t. We live in a society and we’re not in 5th grade

So I disagree with the argument that white people should not be allowed to say the N-word because it will give them a “peek into the world of what it means to be black.” To me this reasoning seems immature. This outlook reminds me of child play, saying, “See, now you know how it feels.”

We don’t want anyone to feel this. We want to achieve a level playing field for all, rather than treating people differently for the pigmentation of their skin.

The reason why whites shouldn’t say it is because it’s a bad word. And nobody should say. Nobody of any color.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well, it’s in rap music because black people reclaimed it- and rightfully so.

Just like how women are reclaiming the word, “bitch” and making it their own after it being so derogatory for so long.

I see your perspective on assuming that some whites wanna perhaps say it without any repercussions… maybe that’s true for some. But we can’t live in a society where only certain people are permitted a word while others aren’t. We live in a society and we’re not in 5th grade

So I disagree with the argument that white people should not be allowed to say the N-word because it will give them a “peek into the world of what it means to be black.” To me this reasoning seems immature. This outlook reminds me of child play, saying, “See, now you know how it feels.”

We don’t want anyone to feel this. We want to achieve a level playing field for all, rather than treating people differently for the pigmentation of their skin.

The reason why whites shouldn’t say it is because it’s a bad word. And nobody should say. Nobody of any color.

I'm not saying that white people will feel the same way as black people if they can't say that word. That's impossible. Im saying white people (unless they're Jewish or from a Latin culture) won't get the emotional significance of being called a racial/ethnic slur... Just knowing it's bad. Which is sufficient.

And we both agree... NO ONE should use that word. It should be left to history and die there. When there's societal change concerning certain words, they're still there but people's relationship with those words has changed. No one likes saying "retard" when talking about developmentally challenged individuals.. but the word is still there.

All racial, ethnic and religious slurs should be abandoned to history. We're a couple decades where it can be, though.

Toons

I'm not saying that white people will feel the same way as black people if they can't say that word. That's impossible. Im saying white people (unless they're Jewish or from a Latin culture) won't get the emotional significance of being called a racial/ethnic slur... Just knowing it's bad. Which is sufficient.

And we both agree... NO ONE should use that word. It should be left to history and die there. When there's societal change concerning certain words, they're still there but people's relationship with those words has changed. No one likes saying "retard" when talking about developmentally challenged individuals.. but the word is still there.

All racial, ethnic and religious slurs should be abandoned to history. We're a couple decades where it can be, though.

EXACTLY. The "power " the word carries is not because of how much or how little it is said.

The power behind the word is because it was one of the proponents of an centuries long government sponsored oppression of the individuals for whom that term was assigned. Thats not a construct, that regime had actual power and influence that lasts.

Just like how calling someone a nazi evokes a reaction. Besides that word is attached to something that was harsh, powerful and had long lasting effect.

Its used by the black community as a direct result of that shared experience. Should it be? Maybe not, but thats missing the point that it SHOULDN'T ever HAVE been. But it was and that word has power because of that.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Woule you agree that the black communites embraceing of the word has infact backfired?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Woule you agree that the black communites embraceing of the word has infact backfired?

No. All the pushback has just made more of some of the community double down on it. Black people saying that word, also, isn't new. It's been part of our vocabulary since slavery... As I said, it was normalized during and after slavery because we were called that word since coming to this country.

Saying that "it's being reclaimed" was just lip service. Go watch an old blaxploitation movie and hear how many times that word is bandied about. It isn't new and Tupac didn't start it. It's been with us since chattel slavery began here.

CGNoire

No. All the pushback has just made more of some of the community double down on it. Black people saying that word, also, isn't new. It's been part of our vocabulary since slavery... As I said, it was normalized during and after slavery because we were called that word since coming to this country.

Saying that "it's being reclaimed" was just lip service. Go watch an old blaxploitation movie and hear how many times that word is bandied about. It isn't new and Tupac didn't start it. It's been with us since chattel slavery began here.
I realise all that for sure.

You dont think its maintained a certain popularity amongst the general public that it wouldnt have otherwise?

I was also wondering in your exp how is the pushback from within the community received?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I realise all that for sure.

You dont think its maintained a certain popularity amongst the general public that it wouldnt have otherwise?

I was also wondering in your exp how is the pushback from within the community received?

It's just another word in the community. It's our word, for lack of a better term.

I think the pushback is seen as "white people telling us what to do/say/think" because it's mostly white people telling us about the word like most of us don't know the history of it. But it's ingrained in the community Because of history.

Even other black folks pushing back feels weird because it sounds like the same talking points. Talking AT us instead of realizing it's a case by case basis and just teaching their own kids to not say it. It's like when someone tells you to do something so you'll be respected by them when you didn't ask them what they need to do for them to respect you. As long as they're respected by their peers and family, anyone else can go to hell. Like how Bill Cosby used to tell ALL black people to be respectable to white folks.

Respectability politics isn't always the play. Especially when it's directed at the whole group.

HoodWinked

they tested 2015 periscope code, it's fun that they can just do this randomly, I'd imagine a public company with layers of management would have to go through approvals, sufficient polish and ultimately just get denied from ever going public.

Hey, if Northwestern Pie Retailers or National Panda Rentals very much want to use that lucrative NPR account, who is Elon Musk to stand in the way of progress? Is it better for it to be domain squatted by spiteful people who intend never to use it?

I'm only kidding, but I do find it quite humorous that the press will describe THIS as authoritarian while hand waving away literal government intervention to censor legal speech. Between that, and Musk screwing over Taibbi, I've developed a real "let them fight" attitude towards Musk vs the press.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Got in on Jack's diddy. Browsed around for about 45 minutes. Already seeing a lot of people I followed or who followed me from Twitter. I haven't come across any of the moronic echo chamber / grifter misinformation bubble / outright bigotry and hate blather that has taken over Twitter - yet. It feels a lot like old Twitter, actually, just without all of the official press and business accounts or the whales that are reluctant to abandon Twitter. Not as stream of consciousness or tech heavy as Mastodon. Functionally it's working just fine as far as I can tell.

icZKQVu.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think most of you need a social media intervention. This thread has turned into a support group for Twitter junkies. If you don't like it, get off of it. You don't need it.
I find it hilarious anyone even needs a Twitter account. I dont. I can see celebs and companies needing it to promote whatever shit they are selling or trying to boost their Hollywood career for the next project, but for the average person it's actually useless. But so many people take it serious as a life extension, desperately needing blue validation checkmarks, and telling the world what gender they are (he/him, she/her etc....).

Non-users like me get a lot laughs at other people's social media stupidity.

Edit: I do admit. There is a good use for tweets. When I read sports articles, often times there can be an embedded tweet showing a good replay. Ok, that's probably the most important part of Twitter for me.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I find it hilarious anyone even needs a Twitter account. I dont. I can see celebs and companies needing it to promote whatever shit they are selling or trying to boost their Hollywood career for the next project, but for the average person it's actually useless. But so many people take it serious as a life extension, desperately needing blue validation checkmarks, and telling the world what gender they are (he/him, she/her etc....).

Non-users like me get a lot laughs at other people's social media stupidity.

Edit: I do admit. There is a good use for tweets. When I read sports articles, often times there can be an embedded tweet showing a good replay. Ok, that's probably the most important part of Twitter for me.

Another thing Twitter was good at (don't know if that's still the case with all the constant changes to the algorithm and such) was helping to build an audience for Joe or Jane Schmoe to help build their business.

Arguably, the same effect can be had on IG.

Banned
Got in on Jack's diddy. Browsed around for about 45 minutes. Already seeing a lot of people I followed or who followed me from Twitter. I haven't come across any of the moronic echo chamber / grifter misinformation bubble / outright bigotry and hate blather that has taken over Twitter - yet. It feels a lot like old Twitter, actually, just without all of the official press and business accounts or the whales that are reluctant to abandon Twitter. Not as stream of consciousness or tech heavy as Mastodon. Functionally it's working just fine as far as I can tell.

icZKQVu.png

I feel like a social media app like this would be way better if any official media accounts were completely banned from even participating.
a Twitter like app that is exclusively for private accounts.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I feel like a social media app like this would be way better if any official media accounts were completely banned from even participating.
a Twitter like app that is exclusively for private accounts.

Since it's decentralized individual servers / instances could enact such measures. Personally I'd rather leave it up to the individuals to block and filter out the accounts they don't want to see (Mastodon has pretty elaborate tools to do so, I assume Bluesky eventually will as well).

That said, I've come across some official news orgs and some celebrities and journalists on my second day. It's picking up steam. I hazard to make predictions given the decentralized nature of Bluesky along with its current infancy, but if this growth keeps up along with Twitter's repeated failings and policy changes that drive away businesses, creatives, and large platforms like Wordpress, we could be seeing big shakeups across social media rapidly.

And then everyone in the press and longtime defenders of Twitter everywhere announced that this is perfectly fine, because they're just following the terms of service, and Twitter is a private company so they can do what they want.

this is a strawman

No matter how I try to steelman it, whatever good intentions I assign to it, benefit of the doubt I give it due to uncertainty in an unfolding global pandemic, or "both sides did it" understanding I apply to it, the result is always the same. There was government intervention to censor legal speech. If I'm missing something, feel free to steelman it yourself. I can't come up with any justification to circumvent the first amendment of the constitution.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

And then everyone in the press and longtime defenders of Twitter everywhere announced that this is perfectly fine, because they're just following the terms of service, and Twitter is a private company so they can do what they want.

People aren't going to defend extortion regardless of the ToS lol

sono

Gold Member
I genuinely have never understood twitter. Is it for people with the attention span of a gnat or something

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
"Keep tweeting or else I'm canceling your account" isn't "extortion." They don't have to pay twitter a dime. They're free to stop using the platform, and twitter is free to cancel their account for doing so.
"Keep tweeting or else we give your official account name to someone else that could possibly impersonate you" is in fact extortion given that Musk has a personal vendetta against NPR and would personally benefit from them caving in to his threats.

They embarrassed him, got others to follow their lead, and led to EVEN MORE negative PR for him and his dumpster fire regime at Twitter. This is his little titty tantrum way of trying to get them to tweet again so he and his cult can call them hypocrites and weak.

Last edited:
"Keep tweeting or else we give your official account name to someone else that could possibly impersonate you" is in fact extortion given that Musk has a personal vendetta against NPR and would personally benefit from them caving in to his threats.

Like I said

Hey, if Northwestern Pie Retailers or National Panda Rentals very much want to use that lucrative NPR account, who is Elon Musk to stand in the way of progress? Is it better for it to be domain squatted by spiteful people who intend never to use it?

I was somewhat kidding, but it's true that more people might want to use NPR for things that have nothing to do with news media. It's also not exactly uncommon for certain companies to close your account if you're not using their service. The "Keep tweeting or else we give your official account name to someone else that could possibly impersonate you" interpretation is just bad faith, though. But I will agree that musk screwed up early on in that area, and if NPR was allowed to be impersonated I'd gladly criticize Musk for that.

Last edited:

Toons

Like I said

I was somewhat kidding, but it's true that more people might want to use NPR for things that have nothing to do with news media. It's also not exactly uncommon for certain companies to close your account if you're not using their service. The "Keep tweeting or else we give your official account name to someone else that could possibly impersonate you"
You keep trying to imply elon is "better than that" or "not petty enough to do that" and he keeps proving you wrong with his own actions.

And then when he does that you just say "well it's his company so he's allowed to behave like a petulant child" as if that's some sort of defense.

And then when that doesn't work you say "well you all were ok with this when someone else did it" but... no we really weren't, and even if we were thats not actually a defense of elons actions is you're trying to make him look better.

Like at what point do you guys just say "ok, elon really kinda is a childish dumbass"? It's not like this criticism isn't warranted, hes just doing dumb stuff and getting called out for it.

No matter how I try to steelman it, whatever good intentions I assign to it, benefit of the doubt I give it due to uncertainty in an unfolding global pandemic, or "both sides did it" understanding I apply to it, the result is always the same. There was government intervention to censor legal speech. If I'm missing something, feel free to steelman it yourself. I can't come up with any justification to circumvent the first amendment of the constitution.

Its not about strawman vs steelman, it's about strawman vs having a cogent thought that can be the basis of a discussion. Off a quote from a person at the AP you said that the press were describing this as authoritarianism. Unless you were shortening AP to "the press" that's your strawman.

Then you further packed it with that they're not calling something else authoritarian. Who? AP? All the press? In fact what you meant was that they weren't talking enough about one thing but too much about this other thing and in your head you were linking them under a single entity, the press, your strawman.

It's also not exactly uncommon for certain companies to close your account if you're not using their service.

Again this isn't about "certain companies", it's about Twitter. For what other inactive accounts have they threatened this? Did they threaten it for Trump who also, after being publicly begged back, refused? Based on the context and info available people are seeing an axe being ground and I'm not really one to blame thar interpretation.

Last edited:
Media companies have made their way to bluesky.

Musk is too toxic of a person to be able to keep twitter alive. Not only is he the worst CEO out there right now, but his personality won’t allow him to lead a company like twitter and have any success.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Media companies have made their way to bluesky.

Musk is too toxic of a person to be able to keep twitter alive. Not only is he the worst CEO out there right now, but his personality won’t allow him to lead a company like twitter and have any success.
Trying way too hard.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is Elon Musk actually autistic?
Autism is a spectrum. He's not mentally challenged like people with severe autism, he just has some behavioral tendencies that are different from average men and women. Back in the day, we just called those people odd, but now they are diagnosed as autistic. Apparently autism rates have tripled and quadrupled in some countries in the last couple of decades so we are just diagnosing the more normal looking kids with it instead of just the ones who are non-verbal, mentally handicapped etc.

Jobs was also on the spectrum. Apparently Spielberg and Seinfeld also believe they might be on the spectrum. Most geniuses are. Likely due to the OCD traits that could hurt their productivity or help them get laser focused on their goals. It's a crap shoot but if you're OCD about being hardworking it might help. Wont help in social interactions which is funny since he seems hellbent on running a social media platform.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Autism is a spectrum. He's not mentally challenged like people with severe autism, he just has some behavioral tendencies that are different from average men and women. Back in the day, we just called those people odd, but now they are diagnosed as autistic. Apparently autism rates have tripled and quadrupled in some countries in the last couple of decades so we are just diagnosing the more normal looking kids with it instead of just the ones who are non-verbal, mentally handicapped etc.

Jobs was also on the spectrum. Apparently Spielberg and Seinfeld also believe they might be on the spectrum. Most geniuses are. Likely due to the OCD traits that could hurt their productivity or help them get laser focused on their goals. It's a crap shoot but if you're OCD about being hardworking it might help. Wont help in social interactions which is funny since he seems hellbent on running a social media platform.
I think Elon has Aspergers. I'm too lazy to see what kind of traits that entails, but I'll take a guess that Elon's combo of business saavy, social media whore, and not knowing what is tasteful and gross to say publicly isnt 4D chess. Just his social awkwardness not knowing how to conduct himself.

He seems like the type of guy in a big board room with a couple hundred people sitting there watching where suddenly you hear a guy in the back half of the room interrupting and asking questions when the Q&A session has been clearly said it it'll be at the end pf the presentation. And everyone knows after half a second to process it, it'll be Elon doing it.

But maybe I'm wrong. Just a guess.

NickFire

They embarrassed him, got others to follow their lead, and led to EVEN MORE negative PR for him and his dumpster fire regime at Twitter. This is his little titty tantrum way of trying to get them to tweet again so he and his cult can call them hypocrites and weak.
I have to agree he is definitely trying to coerce them to keep using the platform, and that's kind of weak sauce on Elon's part. If he doesn't think he needs them he should just do it (if twitter can make money from recycling the letters) and not make a spectacle out of it. He definitely comes across as a crybaby begging them to come back IMO.

I've got no issue with twitter actually recycling @'s if someone / something publicly declares they are done with twitter though. It's not real estate that you own until you deed the @ away.

decisions

I have to agree he is definitely trying to coerce them to keep using the platform, and that's kind of weak sauce on Elon's part. If he doesn't think he needs them he should just do it (if twitter can make money from recycling the letters) and not make a spectacle out of it. He definitely comes across as a crybaby begging them to come back IMO.

I've got no issue with twitter actually recycling @'s if someone / something publicly declares they are done with twitter though. It's not real estate that you own until you deed the @ away.

Huh? Didn’t NPR say exactly this?

Its not about strawman vs steelman, it's about strawman vs having a cogent thought that can be the basis of a discussion.
If you want a post to use as the basis of a discussion, try this one: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elon...ty-no-politics.1648115/page-13#post-267287677

Off a quote from a person at the AP you said that the press were describing this as authoritarianism. Unless you were shortening AP to "the press" that's your strawman.

I pretty much was shortening AP to "the press," but at the same time I was also making a generalization. Going back and looking for the exact quote, I need to admit a mistake. The AP never said this action from Musk was authoritarian, they found someone to say it for them and printed it. While I didn't read the full article, I very much doubt they interviewed anyone who disagreed, or argued the situation from Musk's side. That would have been actual journalism. Either way, that was my mistake, and I take back the wording that I used, if not the intention of the statement.

Then you further packed it with that they're not calling something else authoritarian. Who? AP? All the press? In fact what you meant was that they weren't talking enough about one thing but too much about this other thing and in your head you were linking them under a single entity, the press, your strawman.

That's not a strawman, though. A strawman is creating an artificially week version of an argument by ignoring some of the strongest points being made by those who are opposed to your opinion, or misrepresenting their views entirely. As I said before, what I was doing was making a generalization. I usually avoid them, but I'm pretty comfortable in asserting that the mainstream press has shown more concern over government funded news organizations getting a government funded label on twitter than they have the government intervention to censor legal speech.

If you want a post to use as the basis of a discussion, try this one: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elon’s-twitter-carnival-of-stupidity-no-politics.1648115/page-13#post-267287677

I pretty much was shortening AP to "the press," but at the same time I was also making a generalization. Going back and looking for the exact quote, I need to admit a mistake. The AP never said this action from Musk was authoritarian, they found someone to say it for them and printed it. While I didn't read the full article, I very much doubt they interviewed anyone who disagreed, or argued the situation from Musk's side. That would have been actual journalism. Either way, that was my mistake, and I take back the wording that I used, if not the intention of the statement.

That's not a strawman, though. A strawman is creating an artificially week version of an argument by ignoring some of the strongest points being made by those who are opposed to your opinion, or misrepresenting their views entirely. As I said before, what I was doing was making a generalization. I usually avoid them, but I'm pretty comfortable in asserting that the mainstream press has shown more concern over government funded news organizations getting a government funded label on twitter than they have the government intervention to censor legal speech.

your generalisation was a strawman, you had a weak argument against the labelling of authoritarianism and had to pad it out with a generalisation, that you can’t substantiate, to make it stronger

your generalisation was a strawman, you had a weak argument against the labelling of authoritarianism and had to pad it out with a generalisation, that you can’t substantiate, to make it stronger
I still haven't even heard an argument for government funded media being labeled government funded media being an act of authoritarianism. It was a label tossed out there with no real argument made as to why the action qualifies as authoritarian. I think removing someone from a platform is MUCH more authoritarian than placing a label on their account, but "the press" seems to largely think otherwise.

I still haven't even heard an argument for government funded media being labeled government funded media being an act of authoritarianism. It was a label tossed out there with no real argument made as to why the action qualifies as authoritarian. I think removing someone from a platform is MUCH more authoritarian than placing a label on their account, but "the press" seems to largely think otherwise.

the press doesn’t, one person quoted from the AP does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom