• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Goodbye GIF

So you see no reason to criticize Musk for his decisions (like restricting tweets that have substack links) or calling NPR government funded, as if it's like the state controlled crap from Russia or China?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
NPR leaving is huge. As is his insistence on publicly attacking them for doing so. This is the same entitled little tantrum he threw when advertisers were leaving as well and all that did was cause more advertisers to leave.

He never learns.

Nobody_Important

They all came back though.
No they didn't. Some did, but many never have. You can tell based on the bizarre and random ads you get instead of what you regularly received before he bought the platform and drove everyone away. Musk has continued to complain about loss of advertising revenue and that's before he decided to try and extort companies by removing the legacy checkmarks here pretty soon.

Twitter continues to die a slow death and he has no one to blame but himself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No they didn't. Some did, but many never have. You can tell based on the bizarre and random ads you get instead. Musk has continued to complain about loss of advertising revenue.
But he said the company is finally breaking even, something they have never done. 🤷‍♀️

I am still seeing all the top advertisement brands.

Nobody_Important

But he said the company is finally breaking even, something they have never done. 🤷‍♀️

I am still seeing all the top advertisement brands.
They are only breaking even because he has stopped paying various bills, mass layoffs, and massive budget cuts across the board. If he had just behaved like an adult, not publicly attacked concerned advertisers, not upended the blue checkmark system, and constantly put his bizarre and idiotic takes out there publicly they would be doing better. That's not even a debate. That's just a fact. He has been Twitter biggest problem since he got there. It will only get worse when his brilliant decision to remove the legacy checkmarks goes through.

Also "breaking even" doesn't mean anything when he has saddled the company with enormous debt thanks to his brilliant business acumen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are only breaking even because he has stopped paying various bills, mass layoffs, and massive budget cuts across the board. If he had just behaved like an adult, not publicly attacked concerned advertisers, not upended the blue checkmark system, and constantly put his bizarre and idiotic takes out there publicly they would be doing better. That's not even a debate. That's just a fact. He has been Twitter biggest problem since he got there. It will only get worse when his brilliant decision to remove the legacy checkmarks goes through.

Also "breaking even" doesn't mean anything when he has saddled the company with enormous debt thanks to his brilliant business acumen.
So he was a good CEO in regards to restructuring the company and trimming out all of the dead weight and worthless fat, and are breaking even instead of loss leading forever?

Nobody_Important

So he was a good CEO in regards to restructuring the company and trimming out all of the dead weight and worthless fat, and are breaking even instead of loss leading forever?
I wouldn't call stop paying your bills, vastly overpaying for a company, laying off some of your best people, and publicly embarrassing yourself and your company on a regular basis being a good CEO, but hey maybe thats just me.

NickFire

Nothing he does will EVER get you to criticize him?

Ok.
If he's lying about the reporter he deserves criticism for lying. No doubt, but damned if I know the truth.

If he suspends the Babylon Bee for being hateful or whatever the hell the last regime claimed, then I would criticize him all day long.

But shit posting on twitter or twitter signage, and pissing off the people who supported the last twitter regime, is generally going to be acceptable and/or hilarious.

SJRB

Gold Member
Elon piledriving that BBC journalist is just excellent content.

After all these months of abuse, finally he's able to confront someone one on one. Someone who is clearly regurgitating "sentiments" and is CLEARLY not prepared for an actual dialogue or debate. What the fuck was this guy thinking anyway? How can you bring up such topics without literally any facts to back them up?

What a loser.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

The only source that Twitter is supposedly breaking even and that advertisers returned is Musk. They lost most of their large advertisers, tons overall, and last reports were a loss of revenue 40% Y-O-Y. He could have laid every single employee off and stopped paying every single last bill* and the company would still be losing money just going by the known figures prior to the buyout.

He's lying as usual. Only a fool would believe him.

'*' = non-required operating related bill, like rent for foreign offices. Obviously not cloud hosting and such, that's unavoidable

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Elon piledriving that BBC journalist is just excellent content.

After all these months of abuse, finally he's able to confront someone one on one. Someone who is clearly regurgitating "sentiments" and is CLEARLY not prepared for an actual dialogue or debate. What the fuck was this guy thinking anyway? How can you bring up such topics without literally any facts to back them up?

What a loser.
Today's "journalists" in a nutshell. They don't think for themselves in order to uncover the truth, they just push the narratives they're told to and try to present them as the truth.

RAÏSanÏa

The only source that Twitter is supposedly breaking even and that advertisers returned is Musk. They lost most of their large advertisers, tons overall, and last reports were a loss of revenue 40% Y-O-Y. He could have laid every single employee off and stopped paying every single last bill and the company would still be losing money just going by the known figures prior to the buyout.

He's lying as usual. Only a fool would believe him.
Paying out ~$600 million in interest for the Twitter loans in the next 3.5 months may be fun to watch...until another ~$300mil 3 months later.
It's starting to look like he might end up paying more than what twitter was worth just in interest payments.

Nobody_Important

Nothing he does will EVER get you to criticize him?

Ok.
He just called the guy who has spent months publicly attacking his advertisers, publicly attacking journalists for accurate reporting, posted Pro-Russia BS, pushed random conspiracies, has purposely stopped paying certain bills, and changed his name to "Hairy Balls" as a "joke" a good CEO.

That should tell you all you need to know.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I got tweets from Richard Spencer on my For You Page. Cool that Elon found a gotcha moment with a reporter, but as a platform everything is much worse now.
That would have been a good point for the reporter to make, especially with a specific example tweet. Even just going with a "free speech, but not at the expense of the shareholders" type of libertarian perspective, Spencer is an example of someone who probably should not be appearing anywhere near advertising.

Outside of government interference, I'd say advertisers are perhaps the biggest threat to free speech in any venue where they can be found, as they always have been.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He just called the guy who has spent months publicly attacking his advertisers, publicly attacking journalists for accurate reporting, posted Pro-Russia BS, pushed random conspiracies, has purposely stopped paying certain bills, and changed his name to "Hairy Balls" as a "joke" a good CEO.

That should tell you all you need to know.
I said he was good at breaking even for a company that always ran at a loss. You are every bit the example of the culture war vessel I mentioned, by your very post alone.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I got tweets from Richard Spencer on my For You Page. Cool that Elon found a gotcha moment with a reporter, but as a platform everything is much worse now.
I've had to stop using my "For You" page almost entirely. It's just a mess now. For every post that actually interests me I get 5 others that are just completely random it feels like and has nothing to do with my interests or follows.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've had to stop using my "For You" page almost entirely. It's just a mess now. For every post that actually interests me I get 5 others that are just completely random it feels like and has nothing to do with my interests or follows.
It’s: End Wokeness, Fight Haven, Raw Egg Nationalist, Carnivore Aurelius, Shitpost Gateway, and a bunch of other crap. Any time I check that tab it’s some moron telling me that seed oils are the source of every problem in the modern world. I looked just now and some guy is asking for a fact check on an image of Barack Obama’s alleged British passport. Groan.

My following page has zero in common with that. For You should be similar but with discovery potential.

Old algo signal boosted real blue checks. That had problems too but the noise ratio was much better.

Nobody_Important

It’s: End Wokeness, Fight Haven, Raw Egg Nationalist, Carnivore Aurelius, Shitpost Gateway, and a bunch of other crap. Any time I check that tab it’s some moron telling me that seed oils are the source of every problem in the modern world. I looked just now and some guy is asking for a fact check on an image of Barack Obama’s alleged British passport. Groan.

My following page has zero in common with that. For You should be similar but with discovery potential.

Old algo signal boosted real blue checks. That had problems too but the noise ratio was much better.
Yeah I keep getting "verified" nutters pushing various COVID/political conspiracies or even sometimes getting "verified" people not so subtly pushing different products that I don't care about despite me mainly following stuff like Warhammer, artists, bands, Magic, etc etc. The entire site experience is just completely worse across the board top top to bottom.

Even the search results are worse somehow. Because I will search related to a topic that is currently trending, but not necessarily being the exact word that is trending. Instead of getting relevant results from recent posts I will get random posts with the search words in it from months or even years ago. Sometimes I get tweets that don't even have the word in them at all, but just a similar word. Then after scrolling past dozens of irrelevant tweets I will suddenly get tweets from the current event in question. I never had that problem before all the ridiculous changes they made.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh I've criticized him plenty in the past. But I do know the majority of this is now caught up in the culture war.

I fucking HATE this culture war bullshit!

I cuss so much more now because all I keep seeing is "woke" from the far right (usually anything that isn't what they like) and too many other terms from the far left.

Like give it a break! None of that stuff affects ANY of our wallets or livelihoods!

Nobody_Important

I said he was good at breaking even for a company that always ran at a loss. You are every bit the example of the culture war vessel I mentioned, by your very post alone.
None of what I said had anything to do with a "culture war". They are facts.

Did he stop paying some of the bills on purpose? Yes.

Did he lay off some of his best people? Yes.

Did he publicly attack advertisers that stepped away? Yes.

Did he publicly attack journalists for accurate reporting? Yes.

Did he cause problems by overhauling the checkmark system? Yes.

Is the site objectively worse now from a service perspective than it was before he got there? Yes.

Is the company on a worse place financially than before he got there? Yes. Breaking even doesn't cover the mountain of debt he saddled the company with by ridiculously overpaying for it.

None of that has anything to do with a "culture war". It's just him sucking at running a company.

Last edited:

SaintALia

so just checking, has he stepped down yet?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-m...rs-sleeps-on-couch-dog-is-ceo-floki-bbc-news/

Elon Musk: 'My dog is the CEO of Twitter'​

Obviously a joke, but he had no intention of stepping down with that poll(I guess he expected overwheleming support for him as CEO, which he did not receive, and I suppose him changing the rules of polling have nothing to do with the loss he faced here). I'm not sure if he ever does plan to step down honestly, if he does choose someone, I suspect he's going to handpuppet them.

It really does make me wonder if he'll just dissolve the company after the elections, because the company is being run quite horribly, and the only real endgame for it I see is to influence the elections.

Or, the other possibility being he simply bought a company on a joke and grudge and is trying to make lemonade with lime peels. I guess both could be true, but I at least hope the former is, one of the wealthiest men in the world doing something so incredibly daft and fucking over so many people is a pretty disturbing thought.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) has stopped tweeting from its primary Twitter account after it was given a “Government-funded Media” label. As of this writing the @PBS account hasn’t tweeted since April 8th, and the organization has since confirmed that it currently has “no plans” to resume posting to Twitter.
While PBS isn’t tweeting from its main account, it’s continued to put out content on affiliated accounts like @NewsHour, which have not had the “Government-funded” label applied.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I know some haven't gotten it yet, but Musk is being unnecessarily antagonistic towards these services/companies. Saying they're "government funded" is the same as saying they're government controlled like the "news" in China or Russia.

Some folks really need to stop with the culture war crap ... And by "some folks" I mean Musk. Every time it looks like he's going to do something great, he fucks it up with either antagonistic crap or some dumb screw up that makes no sense

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
None of what I said had anything to do with a "culture war". They are facts.

Did he stop paying some of the bills on purpose? Yes.

Did he lay off some of his best people? Yes.

Did he publicly attack advertisers that stepped away? Yes.

Did he publicly attack journalists for accurate reporting? Yes.

Did he cause problems by overhauling the checkmark system? Yes.

Is the site objectively worse now from a service perspective than it was before he got there? Yes.

Is the company on a worse place financially than before he got there? Yes. Breaking even doesn't cover the mountain of debt he saddled the company with by ridiculously overpaying for it.

None of that has anything to do with a "culture war". It's just him sucking at running a company.
"Pissing off advertisers and journalists" was/is literally over the culture war political lines in the sand. It's all it's mainly been about, a select subset of control and the fear of losing that.

All I said is that he was good at finally getting the company to break even. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

"Pissing off advertisers and journalists" was/is literally over the culture war political lines in the sand. It's all it's mainly been about, a select subset of control and the fear of losing that.

All I said is that he was good at finally getting the company to break even. 🤷‍♀️
Advertisers leaving over widespread use of racial slurs, moderation concerns, impersonation concerns, and his pro-Russia comments is not a "culture war". That's basic common sense from a business perspective.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Advertisers leaving over widespread use of racial slurs, moderation concerns, impersonation concerns, and his pro-Russia comments is not a "culture war". That's basic common sense from a business perspective.
Most of that shit was like that before he even took over :pie_roffles:

Just ideological mental bubbles and all that gravy. The war shit is major hypocrisy with how China gets a free pass from the very same advertisers who are every bit balls deep (in China) which have been pro Putin and Iran.

All false virtue talking points.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Most of that shit was like that before he even took over :pie_roffles:

Just ideological mental bubbles and all that gravy. The war shit is major hypocrisy with how China gets a free pass from the very same advertisers who are every bit balls deep (in China) which have been pro Putin and Iran.

All false virtue talking points.
Whatever you say man 🤷‍♂️

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Saying they're "government funded" is the same as saying they're government controlled like the "news" in China or Russia.
I disagree. One is about potential influence, and the other is about guaranteed force. Your PBS example, which I agreed was a good point, has now come true. Instead of a general "We've made no secret about the fact that we're funded by tax payers, and we have a longstanding history of representing a wide range of topics and opinions. We believe the quality and variety of our programing speaks for itself" we instead get outrage but no real denial of the actual fact. Because it's true.

What I'm not saying is that these labels were needed or even a good idea, but they are certainly accurate. At least to me, it seems a bit ridiculous to see the media refusing to admit that.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I disagree. One is about potential influence, and the other is about guaranteed force. Your PBS example, which I agreed was a good point, has now come true. Instead of a general "We've made no secret about the fact that we're funded by tax payers, and we have a longstanding history of representing a wide range of topics and opinions. We believe the quality and variety of our programing speaks for itself" we instead get outrage but no real denial of the actual fact. Because it's true.

What I'm not saying is that these labels were needed or even a good idea, but they are certainly accurate. At least to me, it seems a bit ridiculous to see the media refusing to admit that.

It's about perception. That's my point... YOU are rational and understand the difference... Most people won't see that difference. To many, government funded means the same as government controlled.

I think PBS (the main account, not the individual shows' accounts) is showing solidarity AND understands that point about perception from the public.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most agree that money is power and that power has influence, until they don't. 🤷‍♀️

Nobody_Important

It's about perception. That's my point... YOU are rational and understand the difference... Most people won't see that difference. To many, government funded means the same as government controlled.

I think PBS (the main account, not the individual shows' accounts) is showing solidarity AND understands that point about perception from the public.
Yep. And good on them for doing it. I hope more follow. The more major outlets that leave the less eyes they have. Meaning the less advertisers are willing to pay.

NickFire

If perception matters, I wonder if any news outlets will seriously reflect on the practice of misleading headlines. Or whether It’s fair to tarnish people for a period of time and then put retractions in Friday afternoon articles they know not many will see.

Probably not though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom