• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I progressed quite a bit in the last week.

The Draconic Sentinel Tree beat me countless times, even after learing his patterns by hearts it only takes one mistakes to get killed. I'm fighting him on horseback since it's easier to dodge his attacks especially the fire ball and the lightning bolt. I want to use a Runic arc but I don't want it to be wasted.

So I decided to explore other areas first and ventured further into Caelid. I find it funny that the most disturbing place in all From Software games has a similar name to mine (Khalid). In the end I quickly reached the Red Mane Castle. Love the music there and the announcement by the old dude, Jeren or something. In the trailers I thought it was Radahn himself talking. His intro cutscene is excellent.

So Radahn. I ended up beating him in my third or fourth try! Summoning NPCs made the battle feel really epic. Again, Torrent is useful for keeping my distance and running away, especially from the big meteor dive of death. What an excellent idea to give him an attack like that! I managed to put Radahn to rest at level 78 with the Bloodhound's Fang+6. The whole desert/beach area reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. Truly a highlight of this game.

On the other side of the map, I'm progressing through the Volcano Manor. This area is made really difficult by the lack of sites of grace and the vicious snakemen and the masked guy who throws flames. Really like the level design and the unique sight of houses trapped in lava. I won't bother with the magma dragon, it's just not worth it.

Just for fun, I went back to Limgrave and went to the soldier campsite in front of the gate. I loved slaughtering them one by one without trouble. Made me appreciate all the progress I've done. Still have a long way to go.

Next goal: get the wing of Astel because its ability seems really useful.

thuGG_pl

So I finished my second playthrough yesterday. This time it took me 139 hours, 16h less than first.
I played faith build dual wielding greatswords. First time I played mage, only casting spells.

It was so much easier playing melee vs mage. Most of the bosses were easier, some were harder, and generally just clearing mobs were a lot easier.
This time around I also used Wiki for quests and damn, on my first playthrough I didn't complete like 90% of the them. So it was pretty nice to discover them all now.

Weirdly the game has some weird difficulty curve, Caelid is pretty demanding (especially north part), but then after that Altus Plateu, Mt Gelmir and Leyndell were piss easy. And then snow regions were really hard again.

All in all great game, but the questing should be improved.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So I finished my second playthrough yesterday. This time it took me 139 hours, 16h less than first.
I played faith build dual wielding greatswords. First time I played mage, only casting spells.

It was so much easier playing melee vs mage. Most of the bosses were easier, some were harder, and generally just clearing mobs were a lot easier.
This time around I also used Wiki for quests and damn, on my first playthrough I didn't complete like 90% of the them. So it was pretty nice to discover them all now.

Weirdly the game has some weird difficulty curve, Caelid is pretty demanding (especially north part), but then after that Altus Plateu, Mt Gelmir and Leyndell were piss easy. And then snow regions were really hard again.

All in all great game, but the questing should be improved.

Nice write up. Enjoyed it.

I always play as a melee character so when ER came out i decided to start as a prisoner, little magic, little melee. Right?

Well I found that build's magic pretty weak so my first respec steered towards full Mage so I could finally go full magic, first time in all of the DS games. Cool right?

Well.. Glintstone was pretty handy but a bit boring and after a while I realized I was still mostly playing as a melee character lmao. It's in my veins haha... (important note; I was still pretty low in level so no shit the spells weren't really.... awesome)

Second respec Strength & Faith and having a blast.

SL 120 now so when hitting
.. what? 160, 180? I can always respec back to mage to try out the good stuff...

ATM searching all the incantations I've missed and such. (And Talismans)

Question. Dex does influence casting time right?

Edit: I've never did anything with the great runes I guess?
I don't really understand it. Choose a weapon? That's it?

I'll have to so some research lol

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Question. Dex does influence casting time right?

Edit: I've never did anything with the great runes I guess?
I don't really understand it. Choose a weapon? That's it?

I'll have to so some research lol
Yes Dex influence casting time, but I don't think its worth it for this alone.

You can "equip" great rune of your choice and then activate it by using Rune Arc. Rune activation is lost on death.
Honestly Great Runes seems like missed opportunity. They're not so great, they need consumable to activate, so "I'm saving them for later" most of the time. And their effects aren't too special.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm still in the dark. I thought you could only choose between the weapons or spells. And none are interesting to me (yet?) So I left that whole aspect on the side.

thuGG_pl

I'm still in the dark. I thought you could only choose between the weapons or spells. And none are interesting to me (yet?) So I left that whole aspect on the side.

I'm not sure if I understand you. Great runes have nothing to do with weapons or spells, they are just overall buffs.
You can select one Great Rune using Site of Grace, and you can activate the selected Great Rune at any time by consuming a Rune Arc.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not sure if I understand you. Great runes have nothing to do with weapons or spells, they are just overall buffs.
You can select one Great Rune using Site of Grace, and you can activate the selected Great Rune at any time by consuming a Rune Arc.

What? Did I overlook that option all this time? I have many rune arcs and used them as mini hp buffs.

Man I'm surely showing my stupidity this very Sunday.

Thanks for your patience T thuGG_pl

I progressed quite a bit in the last week.

The Draconic Sentinel Tree beat me countless times, even after learing his patterns by hearts it only takes one mistakes to get killed. I'm fighting him on horseback since it's easier to dodge his attacks especially the fire ball and the lightning bolt. I want to use a Runic arc but I don't want it to be wasted.

So I decided to explore other areas first and ventured further into Caelid. I find it funny that the most disturbing place in all From Software games has a similar name to mine (Khalid). In the end I quickly reached the Red Mane Castle. Love the music there and the announcement by the old dude, Jeren or something. In the trailers I thought it was Radahn himself talking. His intro cutscene is excellent.

So Radahn. I ended up beating him in my third or fourth try! Summoning NPCs made the battle feel really epic. Again, Torrent is useful for keeping my distance and running away, especially from the big meteor dive of death. What an excellent idea to give him an attack like that! I managed to put Radahn to rest at level 78 with the Bloodhound's Fang+6. The whole desert/beach area reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. Truly a highlight of this game.

On the other side of the map, I'm progressing through the Volcano Manor. This area is made really difficult by the lack of sites of grace and the vicious snakemen and the masked guy who throws flames. Really like the level design and the unique sight of houses trapped in lava. I won't bother with the magma dragon, it's just not worth it.
It drops a strong fire affinity curved greatsword and can be safely obliterated with rotten/poison ammo after being lured near the elevator. Pulley crossbow (Craftsman's Shack on lower Mt. Gelmir path) makes this even easier.

What's the deal with those huge phantom esque skeletons in winter wonder land? There's two as far as I know and could briefly Lock-on on one them..Didn't seem to work moments later...
They pop up in other regions too. It means one of those Necromancer boatmen is nearby. Killing the giant skeleton summons is a waste of time. In that area the necromancer is on a cliff facing Castle Sol.

What? Did I overlook that option all this time? I have many rune arcs and used them as mini hp buffs.
Even knowing what they do, I have not used one. Talismans, Mix of Wonderous Physick, and Ashes/Mimic Tear are just so much more versatile and useful.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They pop up in other regions too. It means one of those Necromancer boatmen is nearby. Killing the giant skeleton summons is a waste of time. In that area the necromancer is on a cliff facing Castle Sol.

Even knowing what they do, I have not used one. Talismans, Mix of Wonderous Physick, and Ashes/Mimic Tear are just so much more versatile and useful.

Ah, look at the time! I'm late for an appointment regarding killing a certain necromancer!

I see. I do love the versatility those aspects bring!! Makes it a bit more strategic, right?

Thanks brother 😁

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That frost mist dragon insta kill stomp is bullshit. Guess he does it when reaching a certain damage point or if you hang out to long to closely.

Killed the bloodloss two whips using MF so that's a plus.

And that asshole necromancer we talked about some posts up

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I know I am super late to the party, but I discovered VaatiVidya on YouTube and his lore videos are great. I didn't stop to explore the lore much in the game. Learning about it all is kind of making me want to finish my second playthrough that I abandoned after Radahn.

DelireMan7

I know I am super late to the party, but I discovered VaatiVidya on YouTube and his lore videos are great. I didn't stop to explore the lore much in the game. Learning about it all is kind of making me want to finish my second playthrough that I abandoned after Radahn.
VaatiVidya has really great lore videos on all Soulsborne/Sekiro games.

I haven't watch his videos for Elden Ring, as I want to do some lore digging myself for the moment, but I am really waiting for it :)

They are a great way to go back to these games.

Soodanim

There's a few other channels that dive into lore too. SmoughTown is one, he does long videos but I like them.

Sometimes I watch lore videos and they notice things I would never pick up on. Like an enemy stood next to a corpse and this detail and that detail... I see enemy, I kill enemy.

DelireMan7

To add some YT recommendation : Hawkshaw

Actually I have only watch 4 videos of him on Dark Souls lore but they were pretty well done. Long videos with nice thought theories.
My favorite :

The one about the Way of White and the Undead curse is also great. Damn... I want to replay Dark Souls again... Such a great game.

I don't know about his Elden Ring content.

DelireMan7

I'll post that here but I am really suspicous about it. Since there is no source.
Also the FighterZ SUPER sounds weird since a lot of Super Characters are already in the game.

So I'd say probably bullshit. But I would be glad if true. Something related to Badlands and Hoarah Loux can only get me excited.

Soodanim

I'll post that here but I am really suspicous about it. Since there is no source.
Also the FighterZ SUPER sounds weird since a lot of Super Characters are already in the game.

So I'd say probably bullshit. But I would be glad if true. Something related to Badlands and Hoarah Loux can only get me excited.

Comments say the Digimon title is confirmed as wrong, so I guess that's that. Barbarians of the Badlands doesn't sound like a DLC title they would use anyway, it sounds more like an Assassin's Creed DLC title to me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
60yn83nmt4b91.png

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Most hilariously bs boss in the game. Notice when the boss gets down to 25% health my L2 attack goes from doing 800HP damage to 200HP. Also the hit box of the boss shrinks so much that it can’t be hit with L2 attack from the rock above anymore. All this without any visual change or any visible buff. Just stealth bullshit.

Yep. Absolute bullshit of a boss, but its spirit ash is insane. I used it against Malenia and it was much more useful than the Mimic Tear.

I only consider Dung Eater (Puppet) to be OP. The others can't take a beating while dishing out damage nearly as well. Mimic Tear is nice if you prep. optimally for a given fight.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Mimic Tear, Black Knife Assasin, Lhutel the Headless, Banished Knight Oleg.
Those are mostly considered OP.

Thanks. Will check those out!
I only consider Dung Eater (Puppet) to be OP. The others can't take a beating while dishing out damage nearly as well. Mimic Tear is nice if you prep. optimally for a given fight.

When the time comes I'll look into his quest line

Btw went out and got that drop rate scarab so farming eggs should go faster. But that area where you find the scarab has invisible walkways/staircases.

Any way to make those visible?

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Or just as case of bee lining it to entrances? I dunno I feel like they have turns.... I mean, don I really have throw rocks and shit or fire Incantions perhaps that may or may not reveal temporarily the walkways?

Btw I love Morgotts cloak so much I die way to much due to its stats lol.

Last edited:
Rainbow stone arrows (Nomadic Warrior Cookbook [7]) are pretty nice for this purpose if you stock up on ruin fragments and thin beast bones. Alternatively, there is the Hoarfrost Stomp ash of war. Icerind Hatchet weapon located in a chest inside Temple Quarter of Liurnia has it already. That would probably be easiest. The Carian Filigreed Crest is a must for this method as it reduces FP used by ashes of war.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have that hatchet!

Carian Filigreed talisman. Have this to only they call it reduces fp used by skill right

Ok guys wish me luck

Btw I found a giant bear that spawns after killing 3 random weakling that's just wow. Oh well almost got him but got tired

Soodanim

I have that hatchet!

Carian Filigreed talisman. Have this to only they call it reduces fp used by skill right

Ok guys wish me luck

Btw I found a giant bear that spawns after killing 3 random weakling that's just wow. Oh well almost got him but got tired
Pre-patch Icerind Hatchet was a nuke, I used to hold back on the Hoarfrost Stomp because it shredded everything. The dual gargoyle boss? Obliterated, you just mashed L2 until things died.

For the hidden walkways, anything that has persistence in the world helps. I used regular arrows in the end, they're quick and cheap and you can plot your path after you get an idea of how wide the path is with Hoarfrost. Don't expect complicated pathing, that happens once and it isn't here. You'll even see an enemy run towards you at one point, you can just follow his path.

If you want to make some Silver Feet, by far the best place to farm the feet is in Caelid at the bonfire next to the bridge and tower leading up to a fort. Right next to where you warp in there's a big tree, and behind that there's 3 birds. If you position yourself correctly you can get all 3 birds with a Hoarfrost Stomp, and because you're so close to the bonfire you can do so many runs so quickly that you'll be able to use Silver Feet to earn more feet at a really good rate. Put on some arcane boosting clothing if you want extra luck while you farm.

Silver Fireflies are in many underground places, always in clusters of ~4.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Pre-patch Icerind Hatchet was a nuke, I used to hold back on the Hoarfrost Stomp because it shredded everything. The dual gargoyle boss? Obliterated, you just mashed L2 until things died.

For the hidden walkways, anything that has persistence in the world helps. I used regular arrows in the end, they're quick and cheap and you can plot your path after you get an idea of how wide the path is with Hoarfrost. Don't expect complicated pathing, that happens once and it isn't here. You'll even see an enemy run towards you at one point, you can just follow his path.

If you want to make some Silver Feet, by far the best place to farm the feet is in Caelid at the bonfire next to the bridge and tower leading up to a fort. Right next to where you warp in there's a big tree, and behind that there's 3 birds. If you position yourself correctly you can get all 3 birds with a Hoarfrost Stomp, and because you're so close to the bonfire you can do so many runs so quickly that you'll be able to use Silver Feet to earn more feet at a really good rate. Put on some arcane boosting clothing if you want extra luck while you farm.

Silver Fireflies are in many underground places, always in clusters of ~4.

Wow great post thanks a bunch pseudonym!

I just tried hoarfrost stomp a couple times but didnt see anything appear. Don't see the point if I'm I'm honoust =(

I'll try again and also with bow and arrow.

Thanks about the fowl feet. Will speed things up. Need 50 more eggs then I can make 80 frost bolussus. Must be sufficient for a while.

Unrelated: I use ultra greatsword with lion's claw with a no skill shield. Devastating.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hoarforst does reveal. Sorry for doubting you guys or being dumb or both lol

I was going the wrong direction. Arrows worked wonders. Now I'm next to a mega ultra octopus. (While I'm wearing a octopus mask lol)

Last edited:

Soodanim

Wow great post thanks a bunch pseudonym!

I just tried hoarfrost stomp a couple times but didnt see anything appear. Don't see the point if I'm I'm honoust =(

I'll try again and also with bow and arrow.

Thanks about the fowl feet. Will speed things up. Need 50 more eggs then I can make 80 frost bolussus. Must be sufficient for a while.

Unrelated: I use ultra greatsword with lion's claw with a no skill shield. Devastating.
HStomp is only useful when you're on a hidden path and there's room in front of you for it to travel, because it covers ground until its maximum distance or until ground ends. The hidden paths can't be completely revealed forever, in design terms they're solid blocks with no textures so the best we can do is temporarily knowing the rough shape of them.

If you haven't got onto the hidden/invisible path yet, there is a visual clue in that area but I'll give a spoiler in case you want to save time: going up to the middle section of floor in the main chamber, there's a section of broken railing from which you can simply drop down

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
HStomp is only useful when you're on a hidden path and there's room in front of you for it to travel, because it covers ground until its maximum distance or until ground ends. The hidden paths can't be completely revealed forever, in design terms they're solid blocks with no textures so the best we can do is temporarily knowing the rough shape of them.

If you haven't got onto the hidden/invisible path yet, there is a visual clue in that area but I'll give a spoiler in case you want to save time: going up to the middle section of floor in the main chamber, there's a section of broken railing from which you can simply drop down

First paragraph: yes that was my guess as well (really) but my english.. had trouble explaining it. I was going the wrong way so when i turned around i used the arrows I saw what you described!

Second paragraph. I know. I guessed (correctly) and walked straight to the place with the hidden wall with the scarab. Did the same on the opposite side. My issue lay with where I now am, there's a slight rounding of the path near the end before you can drop of....

Thanks man!!!!!

Sorry for my confusing posts My posts are the Dark Souls of posts this morning

Last edited:

Soodanim

First paragraph: yes that was my guess as well (really) but my english.. had trouble explaining it. I was going the wrong way so when i turned around i used the arrows I saw what you described!

Second paragraph. I know. I guessed (correctly) and walked straight to the place with the hidden wall with the scarab. Did the same on the opposite side. My issue lay with where I now am, there's a slight rounding of the path near the end before you can drop of....

Thanks man!!!!!

Sorry for my confusing posts My posts are the Dark Souls of posts this morning
It's difficult to describe this stuff sometimes, especially did you find your way through yet?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's difficult to describe this stuff sometimes, especially did you find your way through yet?

Yes!. Standing next to the heavy breathing octopus (I think that's what it is)

There's nothing on the direct opposite side I assume? I mean the walkway is beneath the dropoff straight to the scarab and the direct opposite and the weird one towards the octopus right? Wrong?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One) is still surprising players all the time. Here are some awesome examples.

SOURCES~~~~~~~

10. You can kill Melina

9. A mysterious invisible 'thing'

8. Fia's Champions

7. Maliketh Site of Grace skip

6. The eyes of the flame chariot actually follow you

5. Wings of Astel has a new sound effect when it's close to the Astel boss fight

4. The weirdness of the Deathbed Dress

3. The Red Wolf of Radagon wears jewelry

2. Subterranean Shunning Grounds Skip

1. Using Crystal Darts on golems makes them go berserk

Soodanim

Yes!. Standing next to the heavy breathing octopus (I think that's what it is)

There's nothing on the direct opposite side I assume? I mean the walkway is beneath the dropoff straight to the scarab and the direct opposite and the weird one towards the octopus right? Wrong?
Bit late with my reply, but yeah you got it. The invisible path there is a big T, so as long as you found the illuaory wall then you found it all

Did you make any progress past that area?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes my friend..Jumped into one of the 2 windows there and after some dying (these militia men you dont want to rush. They do insane damage)
I could run the invisible walkway! But I digress. I opened the boss door.

I killed everything. Took the elevator up (you can jump off halfway but I couldn't find anything) so had to retake the elevator to the top where there's one window where I expected a site of grace... Drop down there and you're at your starting point somewhat right? So weird man. I died stupidly and rage quit

I don't get it. So I to get far enough to a stake of marika and do the invisible walkway path en speedrun to the boss?

I mean It's very doable but annoying.

Feel like I'm missing something

Hey Soodanim Soodanim no worries mate I'm thankful to be able to talk with you about the game

Edit: went through fextralife's walkthrough and I did everything right. So now fight my way to the stake of marika and kill the boss. 😁

Edit 2; got him first try solo

NEXT

Last edited:
So I managed to get my hands my on the wing of Astel and it's.... not as powerful as I thought it would be? Maybe that's because I only have 20 in intelligence.

Also it's strange that I can't hit the suspended pre-evolution of Astel in the Ainsel river well.

That aside, I got my hands on the golden beetle that apparently increases the amount of runes you gain as well as the Bloody Slash ash of war.

I also defeated Rykard (TOGETHAAAARGH!!). His arena is awesome and I like the gimmick of using a unique weapon on him. In the end staying close to him was more effective than trying to escape his long-range attacks.

Next goal: finish Nokron, maybe fight Astel, and then go fight the Draconic Tree Sentinel to finally enter Leyndell.

Soodanim

Yes my friend..Jumped into one of the 2 windows there and after some dying (these militia men you dont want to rush. They do insane damage)
I could run the invisible walkway! But I digress. I opened the boss door.

I killed everything. Took the elevator up (you can jump off halfway but I couldn't find anything) so had to retake the elevator to the top where there's one window where I expected a site of grace... Drop down there and you're at your starting point somewhat right? So weird man. I died stupidly and rage quit

I don't get it. So I to get far enough to a stake of marika and do the invisible walkway path en speedrun to the boss?

I mean It's very doable but annoying.

Feel like I'm missing something

Hey Soodanim Soodanim no worries mate I'm thankful to be able to talk with you about the game

Edit: went through fextralife's walkthrough and I did everything right. So now fight my way to the stake of marika and kill the boss. 😁

Edit 2; got him first try solo

NEXT
I actually went back through that area myself on my NG+4 character to remind myself of the layout and you're right, the Vulgar Militia are so annoying to fight, especially if you have 2 colossal weapons because your swings are so slow. They can finish you off quickly.

I enjoy the Mimic Tear fights, them being copies of you means it's as difficult as you make it. When the boss heals up as much as you do, it makes for an interesting but fair fight

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I actually went back through that area myself on my NG+4 character to remind myself of the layout and you're right, the Vulgar Militia are so annoying to fight, especially if you have 2 colossal weapons because your swings are so slow. They can finish you off quickly.

I enjoy the Mimic Tear fights, them being copies of you means it's as difficult as you make it. When the boss heals up as much as you do, it makes for an interesting but fair fight

I used the Lion's Claw Ash with my Ultra Greatsword. Knocks almost every enemy to the ground. It's like a jumping two handed greatsword attack but with an added salto. Works great even on groups that stand close together. AOE is decent it seems..

NG+4 .... bro!!!!!!!

And yeah with something like the ultra greatsword it's also really about spacing.

I'm currently looking for the necromancer in Dynasty Mausoleum Entrance.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Goodmorning ya'll

What's the deal with those huge phantom esque skeletons in winter wonder land? There's two as far as I know and could briefly Lock-on on one them..Didn't seem to work moments later...

Any clue? I know I can look this up and be done with it but I prefer a hint or such! =)

Anyone?

Gonna fuck up that death blight Turkey first. He's dead. Or dead again I guess?
Those are casted by another enemie nerby. Killing it and will drop a weapon. That's all i'm gonna say :messenger_winking_tongue: ( i think are we talking about teh same, right?)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Those are casted by another enemie nerby. Killing it and will drop a weapon. That's all i'm gonna say :messenger_winking_tongue: ( i think are we talking about teh same, right?)

Yes and no. I solved that. I'm now in Siofra Rivers Dynasty Mausoleum Entrance which has also two spawning skeletons and I cant find the caster. Died couple times so I went somewhere else for the time being.

Btw thanks anyway man!!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Got the Silver Mirror shield 💗

Sorry for the updates I'm a bit lonely and sad tonight =/
It's all good, I like seeing people progress through these games and I like helping where I can, keep it coming if you like

Greatsword and lion's claw is a great combination, lion's claw never gets old so I bet you are having a good time with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom