• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

ssringo

Here's what I can say after 3 hours.

- I already have at least 4 wakestones. You can get them very quickly from hiring pawns and doing the default pawn quest of using them for 1 in game day.
- I already have a little over 2k rift crystals. If you want to hire overleveled pawns to play the game for you then buy them I guess. You're the target for this anyways.
- Dunno about portcrystals. Don't have any but also have zero need to use one yet.
- No new game from the menu is a ridiculous oversight but it's easy to actually restart. "I shouldn't have to mess with my files!" Cool. Keep complaining instead of just fixing it yourself.
-- Turn off cloud saves. Go to D:\Steam\userdata\*your account number\2054970\remote\win64_save and copy the files into a backup folder just in case you screw it up. Keep the files that start with "SS" as those are your saved character appearance and delete the rest (don't remember which was the settings file so either redo your settings or figure out which file). Start a new game. Turn on cloud saves and sync using the files on your PC. I literally had to do this as I goofed up the character transfer and it took hardly any time to figure out.

nikolino840

I have wondered in recent months whether gamers would be ok with cosmetic MTX's in big AAA developed games if it meant we would get more of them? I would much rather that than pay higher prices or have games be smaller in scope. Seems like a fair trade off

In this case, reviewers all played the same game without these MTX's. Just ignore them, it is not hard
Sega with the ichiban series they have added tons of exp/characters for the minigames/ materials and now with the new game plus for infinite wealth

Lambogenie

Such a basic thing shouldn’t be monetized. What next? Limited amount of stamina to sprint that you can replenish by buying a super rare potion?

Ridiculous.
Think of it like paying for cheats. Doesn't mean I agree every little thing needs to be monetised.

Nydius

No new game from the menu is a ridiculous oversight but it's easy to actually restart. "I shouldn't have to mess with my files!" Cool. Keep complaining instead of just fixing it yourself.
-- Turn off cloud saves. Go to D:\Steam\userdata\*your account number\2054970\remote\win64_save and copy the files into a backup folder just in case you screw it up. Keep the files that start with "SS" as those are your saved character appearance and delete the rest (don't remember which was the settings file so either redo your settings or figure out which file). Start a new game. Turn on cloud saves and sync using the files on your PC. I literally had to do this as I goofed up the character transfer and it took hardly any time to figure out.

The fact that you are defending this “ridiculous oversight” that requires a multi step process to “fix” is laughably pathetic.

There is no defense for this in a 2024 triple-A SINGLE PLAYER game and making snide comments like “keep complaining” then writing a treatise of instructions makes you look like a clown.

DavidGzz

Pay 2 win is also in all of their Resident Evil games. Expected. The game is amazing and you didn't need to buy anything in any previous game or this one. If anything, it will ruin the fun and only people who have 1 hour to play a week or something will need it

Ive only played around 2 hours so far and i have no idea how people can already rate this game negatively lmao.

steam bros are weird.

ZKNkLLw.png

Kabelly

There's already a lot of misinformation going around because from what I've been reading that's been reported makes it sound like all these DLCS are exclusive to the DLC. I don't own the game but other people are saying you can still unlock the character editor and obtain pretty much all of this DLC in game? Seems like some bad reporting.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Performance is bad from what I heard.

It ain't that bad except for in the cities and then it is in the 30s/40s. That is typically where you are trading, getting quests, etc. Get out into the world and it gets a lot better. So I would say it is "manageable" at this point. Not good. Not bad either though.

Having said all that, it needs some obvious work. DLSS is horrible. It just makes everything blurry and has not impact on performance. Ray tracing doesn't affect performance either. The game is completely CPU limited.

Looks to me like the reason for this is all the background processing. The passage of time will cause an apple in your inventory to go rotten, for example. Or a structure that was damaged will slowly get fixed eventually. Stuff like that isn't obvious, but it is there. That's all cool that they do that, but I'm really not sure it is worth the hit to performance. Really doesn't have a huge impact on the game itself, from an enjoyment standpoint, that I can tell thus far.

Either way, I'm loving this game. Lots of fun.

Larxia

Is it true that we can't start a new game? From what I read, the save is stored online and you can't start a new save / character, and editing your character cost 2$... wtf?
So, is the game always online? I assume so if the save is stored online.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Performance is bad from what I heard.
Only if you have old PCs or cheap CPUs.

I’m running it on a 3.5 year old gpu and a 3 year old CPU and it’s fine. Some drops in towns. But nothing game breaking during gameplay.

Yes they cost a pretty penny back then but These games are targeting 30 fps on next Gen consoles which means you need 2x better GPu and 2x better cpu to get 60 fps on PCs. I see 1060, 2060, and 3060 dominating the steam charts still. All weaker than the ps5 and xsx. Time to upgrade to the 3080s like i did and pair it with decent current Gen CPUs. Not zen 2 trash.

FeralEcho

Putting a portcrystal as this shit is a but much. People saying it was in the 1st game so its okay are stupid.
Yeah the first Dragon's Dogma is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm absolutely loving DD2 so far but when I saw the portcryatal mtx I was like WTF are you doing Capcom...seriously these companies have lost their goddamn minds with mtx.

Capcom is known to be scummy with mtx with Street Fighter 6 but since it was a fighting game people kinda let it slide but DD2 is a singleplayer game and pulling shit like this is pathetic.

Liljagare

Is it true that we can't start a new game? From what I read, the save is stored online and you can't start a new save / character, and editing your character cost 2$... wtf?
So, is the game always online? I assume so if the save is stored online.

No, not true, but requires fiddling with files. You can buy "Art of Metamorphosis" item for ingame currency "Rift Crystals at the Rift Shop in Vernworth. They are very easy to get, just rent out your pawn or loot around.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You are assuming EVERY "modern" game does this......Unicorn Overlord just came out and didn't have any of this even tho Vanillaware run out of money making this game.

I'm well aware that there are plenty of games that aren't subject to this kind of nonsense, but it's alarming how many games are. Whether it's greedy microtransactions or shoddy performance out of the box, the issues are constant these days.

All of these things were in the first game too and you don't need any of it.
The portcrystals you get by playing the game, but you actually need to place them manually; ferrystones were a limited resource, but you'd effectively have infinite amounts of them just by playing, dark arisen added an infinite ferrystone.
Changing appearance was also done in-game with buying a scroll to do so, and it's the same here in DD2, you can just buy it in-game if you need a different look. The first game also had an infinite scroll after beating the dragon.
You'll earn RC constantly and probably won't ever run out.
Wakestones you'll be swimming in as well.

Of all these I can only see portcrystals as giving an advantage, but it's kind of a wack advantage because you still need to travel to a place where it's worth to place one...which you won't know unless you've already been most places.

Kappa

Whole lot of fud and misinformed idiots spreading nonsense about the game. But they didnt add multi like i wanted so fuck capcom

tommycronin

No, not true, but requires fiddling with files. You can buy "Art of Metamorphosis" item for ingame currency "Rift Crystals at the Rift Shop in Vernworth. They are very easy to get, just rent out your pawn or loot around.
The fact that they've monetised it while also making you have to fiddle with files to get around it as a joke. It doesn't matter how easy something is to get ingame.

Bridges

I don't really care about the fast travel. It's not how the game is designed and if you want to be stupid and pay extra to remove gameplay then they'll let you. It's like in Battlefield how you could pay to just auto-unlock everything. Sure, it's stupid but why would you do that anyway? Let me spend $70 on a game and then spend even more so that I don't have to play it.

That all being said, not being able to start a new game is completely wack. Anyone know if this is the case for the console versions too? That is beyond asinine and completely worthy of criticism

Reactions: CZY

Bridges

Whole lot of fud and misinformed idiots spreading nonsense about the game. But they didnt add multi like i wanted so fuck capcom
Literally the only thing I wanted added in a sequel it just seems so obvious.

Still gonna buy it though cause I'm a mark

T.v

The item needed to change appearance is sold in game and is very cheap. Fast travel is in the game as well, but is a limited resource. That's how the game is designed. There's nothing pay to win about any of this. This is just an appealing to people who want the game to be something else tax. A dumb people tax if you will.

Fredrik

The fact that you are defending this “ridiculous oversight” that requires a multi step process to “fix” is laughably pathetic.

There is no defense for this in a 2024 triple-A SINGLE PLAYER game and making snide comments like “keep complaining” then writing a treatise of instructions makes you look like a clown.
I agree that the defence is not needed but it’s still good to see that it can be ”fixed”.
But I’m playing Horizon Forbidden West instead for now, DD2 needs patches and/or mods.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm well aware that there are plenty of games that aren't subject to this kind of nonsense, but it's alarming how many games are. Whether it's greedy microtransactions or shoddy performance out of the box, the issues are constant these days.
Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 big performance issue but that didn't stop the game from being great.....we had games with performance issue back old days too.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Personally couldnt give a fuck about this as I wont be buying any of it, doesnt mean the game is shit. When things like this bother me is for example Destiny 2 or Diablo where they make some of the best looking loot a MTX in a loot based game. This shit is scummy as fuck dont get me wrong, but its not exactly essential, its only like Helix points for AC games, just gives you a boost of xp or whatever, if you're wealthy or stupid enough to buy into that fucked up business thats on you, and some people obviously are because otherwise this crap wouldnt exist. I went in Superdrug the other day to buy some toothpaste, and when I got to the till the woman asked if I was interested in some aftershave at 50 per cent off. I said no thanks and walked out the shop, I didnt then go on trustpilot and say how I want to burn her house down 1 star review lol

RickSanchez

I have wondered in recent months whether gamers would be ok with cosmetic MTX's in big AAA developed games if it meant we would get more of them? I would much rather that than pay higher prices or have games be smaller in scope. Seems like a fair trade off
But these are not cosmetic microtransactions. They are making basic features like fast travel and character editing artificially difficult and then selling you ways to make them easy. This is beyond greedy. It is inexcusable. It is not a fair trade off in any sense. Capcom rightly needs to be called out and review bombed for this.

In this case, reviewers all played the same game without these MTX's. Just ignore them, it is not hard
Are you hearing yourself ? Ignore positive reviews from trusted reviewers because they played a version of the game which is drastically different without the MTXs ? ............what ? Are you in Capcom's pocket ? We depend on reviewers to give a fair assessment, and we often make a purchase decision based on reviews with the critical assumption that the reviewer and you will get the same game.

- If you want to hire overleveled pawns to play the game for you then buy them I guess. You're the target for this anyways.
- No new game from the menu is a ridiculous oversight but it's easy to actually restart. "I shouldn't have to mess with my files!" Cool. Keep complaining instead of just fixing it yourself.
I don't know about who the target for the microtransactions is, but Capcom should immediately make you a job offer in their marketing department. Well done.

Last edited:
Steam bros just looking to dunk due to low frame rate.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 big performance issue but that didn't stop the game from bring great.....games with performance issue and back old days.
That's literally what the big problem is for these people. Blows my mind how people played games at 25/30 fps fifteen to twenty years ago no problem. Now it's this major issue for everybody.

RickSanchez

Steam bros just looking to dunk due to low frame rate.

Ive only played around 2 hours so far and i have no idea how people can already rate this game negatively lmao.

steam bros are weird.

And you think the poor reviews have nothing to do with not letting players start a new game properly, and making character editing & fast travel hard enough to then sell it back to the player in a full-priced single-player game ?

Sure sure, sTeAm BrOs jUsT dUnKiNg. All hail Capcom.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And you think the poor reviews have nothing to do with not letting players start a new game properly, and making character editing & fast travel hard enough to then sell it back to the player in a full-priced single-player game ?

Sure sure, sTeAm BrOs jUsT dUnKiNg. All hail Capcom.
Going by Gaf, I thought lack of/limited fast-travel was a good thing?

Killjoy-NL

It's absolutely fine if it somehow ties into the story/gameplay loop properly and is not then sold back to you for more money.
Sure, personally I think all open-world games should have fast-travel by default without too much limitations.

It's just funny seeing people complaining about fast-travel, saying it is lazy design and praising the Game Director of DD2 for saying the same thing, only to then see a knee-jerk reaction to optional MTX for fast-travel.

Sakura

It's all stuff that is obtainable in game, so what's the big deal? If people want to pay for what is essentially cheats, then let them.
The only paid dlc stuff I really don't like in games is when they try to sell me the rest of the story for an unfinished game.

lifa-cobex

It's all stuff that is obtainable in game, so what's the big deal? If people want to pay for what is essentially cheats, then let them.
The only paid dlc stuff I really don't like in games is when they try to sell me the rest of the story for an unfinished game.
You can't delete your character or save file.
Essentially if you fuck up or want to try again. You have to pay.
Poor performance too.

Sakura

You can't delete your character or save file.
Essentially if you fuck up or want to try again. You have to pay.
Poor performance too.
What do you mean you have to pay? There is no DLC for "delete your save file and start a new game" or whatever.
If you are referring to the character editor, this is just an item you can buy at the shop in game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also again it shows that pc players are bitches. They always whine about something.
The game is using these expensive components for something. That’s a good thing. Right?
And mtx is optional. I have 600 steam games and you think I go and cry playing games for which I have not bought every dlc ?! Get real and just ignore this or pay 2$ if you really want it.
Then they will whine that singleplayer games are dead, where is dd3 and games are too expensive at 70€

Last edited:
Top Bottom