• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins Sells Over 3.2 Million Units

kitzkozan

jett said:
DA had only sold 1.14 million between the PS360 versions in America according to December NPD. In the UK so far 100k...I guess the PC version was really really popular eh?

...well either that or a bunch of copies are gathering dust in warehouses. :p

I am willing to believe it,especially since the PC version received the best reviews.Not only that,it was the official Bioware version and not the port from Demiurge.

It's got a decent space in the PC section of most electronic store I visit from time to time.

If it can climb to 3 or probably 4 million copies sold,how much will Mass effect 2 do? It won't sell anywhere near as well on PC since it's aimed at console player,but I expect 4+ million sold.I wouldn't be surprised if it reach 5-6 million.

kitzkozan said:
Bioware is definitively one of my top 3 developer.

I know that most of the old school wrpg prefer Baldur's gate to anything else done by Bioware,but I think they are better nowadays.

It's about time that western rpg get out of the garage.We need high production value,more QA and polish in these games. :lol

Bioware capacity to improve upon their franchise is amazing indeed,so I am sure Dragon age 2 will be another Mass effect 2 and score a 95 on metacritic.They have some of the highest rated rpg already and they will have more in the future.

Dragon age:eek:rigins isn't a great game,but it's very good.It just need tweak here and there to become a legendary franchise and Bioware will probably make it happen.

I don't want to sound biaised,but I think they are at the top now.Not as good at writing stories as Obsidian,not expert of open ended rpg like Bethesda or polish expert like SE or even not as innovative as From software/Atlus.Put everything together however,and they are easily the most talented rpg developer so it's up to them to make it happen and push a genre that's been in the gutter for some time toward respectability.

Baldur's Gate 1/2 were co-developed by Black Isle, who also used the Infinity Engine, and the D&D license, on their own to great effect with Planescape: Torment. So I'd say it was a team effort.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How has DA been doing in Europe? EE is especially in love with PC and WRPGs. If it beats the console version its gonna be because of Europe.

Fredescu

It didn't seem to do all that well in the UK. The 360 version just recently got the 100k ELSPA award. The PC version charted for a couple of weeks, well behind the 360 version. Not sure about Eastern Europe.

Awesome and well deserved, my GOTY 2009. Loved it and can't wait for Awakenings. Looks like Bioware now has two legit franchises on their hands.

Zinga

Banned
Great news, the game definitely did great numbers digitally through Steam and other outlets so I can see this number being accurate for worldwide figures.

Yasae

Banned
Minsc said:
Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

At this rate, I see it easily topping 5M with the eventual moderately/heavily discounted Steam pricing and a GOTY edition over the next year.
Boo is getting squirrely!

Wonderful number if they didn't fudge it, which they already did with "shipped units." That still means demand is very high. I concur that digital sales were strong even from a glance at Steam and D2D during this game's release. It was topping most popular left and right.

So help me god, they better make KOTOR 3 now.

Zyzyxxz

WTF how did they do that?

I was expecting modest sales and considering I didn't see any TV marketing I'm trying to figure out how they sold so many?

Good for BioWare either way, as long as Mass Effect 3 comes out in a timely manner.

Yasae

Banned
Nirolak said:
I hope you like MMOs, otherwise I may have some bad news for you.
I live in Austin.

[Force Persuade] You don't have any bad news for me.

Nirolak said:
I don't have any bad news for you.
Much better. :lol

But they still need a true sequel. The Old Republic is not going to replace that.

szaromir

Banned
Yasae said:
Boo is getting squirrely!

Wonderful number if they didn't fudge it, which they already did with "shipped units."
Did you read the news? They shipped 2.7M copies last year and additional 0.5M copies this year. Which means the number isn't overblown by artificially strong initial shipment.

Great stuff Bioware, congrats on another blockbuster, the game deserves it, loved every minute of it.

Can't wait for 'Awakening' and the sequel next year :D

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I was slightly disappointed with Dragon Age but that was again my own fault I was expecting Baldur's Gate 3 and of course I kinda knew it could not happen :( Still it was a surprisingly good game and the sales are well deserved.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Darklord said:
Except it acts more like a single player game in an MMO styled world.
That I'm aware of. Personally I think SWTOR looks fantastic. I just meant that Yasae shouldn't be expecting KotOR 3 since SWTOR is pretty much going to be KotOR for the foreseeable future.

Yasae

Banned
szaromir said:
Did you read the news? They shipped 2.7M copies last year and additional 0.5M copies this year. Which means the number isn't overblown by artificially strong initial shipment.
Doesn't mean they hit 3.2 million sold yet. This is also according to EA internal reports, who are more inclined to make the game look good. I'm not saying they could fudge the numbers by much at all, but realistically there's some room for variance.

Either way is win/win. That's a lot of units even with a large margin of "error."
Nirolak said:
That I'm aware of. Personally I think SWTOR looks fantastic. I just meant that Yasae shouldn't be expecting KotOR 3 since SWTOR is pretty much going to be KotOR for the foreseeable future.
That's a downgrade, then.

Hopefully their building doesn't get bulldozed like Midway's recently did.

Durante

Fredescu said:
There's no way the PC version outsold the 360 version. I doubt it was even close.
Are we talking US here or worldwide? If the former then you're likely right, if the latter then I believe you're underestimating the (continental) European PC market, particularly for old-school RPGs.

Dorrin

Good for Bioware maybe they can put some of that scratch towards fixing the Dex bug and corrupted saves bug Xbox360 users have been experiencing.

pr0cs

Great news for a great game.
I liked Dragon Age more than Mass Effect and it was one of the key reasons why I finally upgraded my PC. I couldn't imagine playing it on a console.

I prefer a more traditional (Tolkien-esq) type RPG which Dragon age follows.
My biggest complaint was the game was way too heavily centered around magic, the game was very difficult without even 1 healer yet you could finish the game with all mages and a tank).

Hari Seldon

Awesome awesome game, my GOTY 2009.

Replaying it now as a different class and with mods.

I have never seen such fine
nude
mods for a video game before. The community really came through!

McHuj

Great game and well deserved. I'll be getting back to my second play through as soon as I finish ME2.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I saw commercials on TV all over the place, even after release.

Amazing numbers, that's so good to see.

I stopped playing halfway, but I love the game. I just get distracted easily.

Binabik15

My pc copy arrived today. Now my student copy of W7 has to finish downloading and my dvd drive must arrive, then I can play :D

The cgi trailers kickedass, much better then the "grab a wench" vid.

Yay, that makes me happy... not only is Dragon Age a great game with fun combat and an interesting story and characters, but it also took me a little over 60 hours to finish. It's hard to find gaming value like that when most games now only last around 8 to 10 hours.

Bioware definitely provides bang for the buck.

Really, the only major problem I had with DA was instead with EA's terrible DRM that forces you to log in to use your DLC. In my game, the Warden's Keep pack screwed up and disappeared from the map permanently. By the time I figured it out, I was many, many hours past a save that still had it. I've heard that other people completed it but later had their items from it disappear along with their new holding container... :(

coopolon

Dorrin said:
Good for Bioware maybe they can put some of that scratch towards fixing the Dex bug and corrupted saves bug Xbox360 users have been experiencing.

Perhaps the best part about DA:O is the ability to mod it. Hasn't the dex bug been fixed with a mod since like two weeks after release?

Dorrin

coopolon said:
Perhaps the best part about DA:O is the ability to mod it. Hasn't the dex bug been fixed with a mod since like two weeks after release?

Yes a mod was released by the community on the PC shortly after the issue was found and then later fixed by an official patch from Bioware. The fix for the dex bug has yet to make its way to the Xbox360 three months after release. The only patch we have received was to help unlock DLC achievements and that itself broke specializations for everyone.

Although the dex bug is annoying a greater issue was found regarding corrupted saves which still has not been fixed. The corruption is occurring due to 'overloading' a vendor with sold items. Some people found themselves backing tracking for hours or in some cases all saves were corrupted. There is a thread on the bioware social forums that goes into a great deal of detail as the community attempted to work out how this bug was occurring.

As a lifelong fan of Bioware going back to the Baldurs Gate days etc I'm dissappointed in the customer service I'm seeing from them here. I know its different then PC fixes with ports and certification etc but given the strong sales we saw for the 360 it would be nice to get some quicker support, right now the focus seems to be on DLC and expansions and when/if these bugs will get fixed who knows?

Some of the effected users particularly those who have seen 60 hours + gone have stated they will attemp to return the game or perhaps sell it used. At least they still have that recourse I suppose to show they are unsatisfied, imagine if this was a digital only model and you just had to eat it.

kitzkozan

The best new is that western rpg can sell,even if there's a lot of dialogue involved (it doesn't have to be all action and loot collecting to sell well). :lol

I hope this will incite publisher to invest in teams who would like to create wrpg or are already working on them despite having mediocre budget (aka Obsidian and cdprojekt?)

coopolon

Dorrin said:
Yes a mod was released by the community on the PC shortly after the issue was found and then later fixed by an official patch from Bioware. The fix for the dex bug has yet to make its way to the Xbox360 three months after release. The only patch we have received was to help unlock DLC achievements and that itself broke specializations for everyone.

Although the dex bug is annoying a greater issue was found regarding corrupted saves which still has not been fixed. The corruption is occurring due to 'overloading' a vendor with sold items. Some people found themselves backing tracking for hours or in some cases all saves were corrupted. There is a thread on the bioware social forums that goes into a great deal of detail as the community attempted to work out how this bug was occurring.

As a lifelong fan of Bioware going back to the Baldurs Gate days etc I'm dissappointed in the customer service I'm seeing from them here. I know its different then PC fixes with ports and certification etc but given the strong sales we saw for the 360 it would be nice to get some quicker support, right now the focus seems to be on DLC and expansions and when/if these bugs will get fixed who knows?

Some of the effected users particularly those who have seen 60 hours + gone have stated they will attemp to return the game or perhaps sell it used. At least they still have that recourse I suppose to show they are unsatisfied, imagine if this was a digital only model and you just had to eat it.

I didn't realize the support had been so poor on the 360. I agree, if they release an official port for the consoles, they should support it as well as they support the PC version.

Hugbot said:
How do you sell 3.2 million copies of an old-school, hardcore RPG in 2009
and part of 2010
? That's really impressive, and the game deserves it.

I was going to say "by making it awesome, of course", then I realised that's not always true. Not to diminish the game but I think that it released at a time when the audience was hungry for something to hold them over until Mass Effect 2.

Also, don't forget that Morrigan has tits. Tits sell games.

edit:

Farore said:
Are there any gameplay differences between the console and PC versions?

The whole control scheme basically changes, for the better, when you go to isometric view. It's really not even close on a console. This game was made for a mouse.

Top Bottom