• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

entremet

thetrin said:
At this point in my life, I'm trying to figure out why people buy consoles to play games like Dragon Age and Modern Warfare.

I buy consoles to play exclusives. It just seems kind of dumb to play PC-centric games on a console.
Not everyone has gaming class PCs or prefers to play games on their PC. I tried it, just not my thing.

Curufinwe

gdt5016 said:
Saying the game's success on PC is "surprising" or "doing really, really well" does not in any way indicate that the PC SKU outsold the console versions. Either individually or grouped together.

It's a pointless argument to have because we're never going to get the sales figures from Steam and other DD sites, unless someone sends a .rar full of juicy info to WikiLeaks.

PC comrades, it's pretty likely that DA:O sold better on PS3 and 360 than the PC version. That's not to suggest that it did in any way poorly on the PC, but this argument keeps going around in circles:

A: It sold better on consoles
B: But Bioware said the PC version was unexpectedly successful
A: That doesn't mean that it sold more
B: It doesn't mean that it didn't either

And so on until we all fall out of our comfy office chairs/couches.

Circle of Willis said:
I work at IKEA all day and when I come home, I don't like to game in my living room because it reminds me too much of work.

I thought that nothing good would come of this thread, and then I read this and wept tears of joy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
entrement said:
Not everyone has gaming class PCs or prefers to play games on their PC. I tried it, just not my thing.
I don't quite understand this reasoning. Is there a difference between playing on PC and on console? Most of the time, once the game gets starts there really isn't. You can play with a Pad on PC and hook it up to a TV. It feels exactly like the same thing except I'm given more options. :lol

Here is how I see it. A Gaming PC will cost more. But it is also a PC. I watch movies, TV, anime, and other things on it. I use it to type all my papers and work a bit with Java. Unlike Consoles which are just solely for gaming(Some times movies, but again, PC does it better), A PC is a media+work hub. So instead of just getting that 5-6 year typical PC upgrade. I thrown in a few hundred dollars more to make it a gaming PC.

Now with that gaming PC. I understand that unlike a console, it probably isn't going to last me as long(Well Xbox length for sure, but not PS2). I get a good 2-3 years where I can play any title without worry. Around the 3 year mark, it starts to chug on some of the newer titles, and I have to force the details down. 4-5 years is basically when it's at the end of the line. It's just not strong enough to play new titles. But to be honest, it's not like I need to play them. With how varied PC gaming has become thanks to the DD scene. Many PC titles aren't pushing graphical hardware. Killing Floor and Torchlight being two popular examples. Nor do I have to play Crysis or whatever high end game is next right away either. I still make my upgrades around the 5-6 year mark. And guess what? I now have an awesome backlog of those high end titles that run beautiful on my machine (Normally with some great mods) and the cycle starts all over again.

Zomba13

Thanks for the lay person explanation. I know about putting thing in layman's terms but for some reason didn't make the connection lol.

Anyway back on topic, I'm a bit more cautious now after the damage control. It means they've seen all the negativity and hopefully will be putting back topdown/iso view (or at least something very close to it) and either a new tool set or an update to the old one to make it compatible. They could well have been working on these things or actually have scrapped them before now (like the first article said) but now they should know that they would be losing sales due to the removal of these things and make sure they are in for release.
I'm not that knowledgeable about game development but it can't be that hard to implement a top down view and have it work right. And with the tool set all they would need to do is remove some of the higher end things from the one they use for the game and then release it with the game (this could be harder though, I don't know)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WanderingWind said:
This is all true. Which is why I am now hoping some game company sees the niche that Dragon Age filled and makes a game to fill the void left by Dragon Age 2.

I'm not picky. I just want one iso-CRPG every so often. Is that really too much to hope for? I mean, can anybody adequately explain why this genre died, even though at one point it was one of the most successful?

Game companies are taking this view that console gamers are stupid, therefore they have to make their games dumber, too. Which is really, really stupid, because kids these days have grown up with computer usage in their everyday lives. As far as technology is concerned, they're smarter than we were 15-20 years ago.

Things like Steam have made PC gaming just as easy as console gaming, and if PC game makers stopped trying to make the game that kills Crysis' graphics, then it could be inclusive too.

Again, I'm sure there is an angle I'm missing, but these decisions are just self-harming. Once every BioWare game plays like Mass Effect, people are going to get real sick of it, real quick. By not reaching out to different segments of gamers, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

/ramble

Spiderweb Software dude. Seriously, Geneforge is your friend.

OT: Wow, really Bioware? There has to be some EA involvement in this, because it sounds absolutely moronic.

EDIT: Whoop, the quote was from like five pages back. I should stop leaving tabs open for days while I'm away at work.

Mrbob

TheLegendary said:

Well when you are comparing sales on two platforms versus one you usually net more overall sales.

You could easily state Dragon Age 2 is a case of Dragon Age Origins not selling as well on consoles as Bioware hoped, and they figure the potential market is bigger. So now all development is focused on the console versions since it has the most "sales potential". Also consoles have easier accessibility to selling post release DLC.

keuja

10 years later and BG2 shadows of Amn/Throne of Baal/Ascension is still the best RPG I've played.
"Spirtual successor of Baldur's gate" no more I guess. This is sad, Bioware is in denial of their own legacy.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Mrbob said:
Also consoles have easier accessibility to selling post release DLC.

Only because their dlc/online store is a piece of shit to navigate through, and requires you to use their proprietary "points" for absolutely no fucking reason.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The_Technomancer said:

OT: Wow, really Bioware? There has to be some EA involvement in this, because it sounds absolutely moronic.

EDIT: Whoop, the quote was from like five pages back. I should stop leaving tabs open for days while I'm away at work.

I hate to go OT, but are the earlier Geneforge games worth playing? They look much more primitive than GF5 (which I downloaded the demo and enjoyed. I'll buy it when I get some money).

thefil

The_Technomancer said:

How are the Spiderweb games? Are they any more modern (translation: easier for stupid me) to understand than Baldur's Gate, while still providing a compelling role-playing experience?

Zerokku said:
Only because their dlc/online store is a piece of shit to navigate through, and requires you to use their proprietary "points" for absolutely no fucking reason.
Not to mention the fact that DA has an integrated downloader for it while Mass Effect 2 requires that you download each bit of DLC as a separate installer. And the first time I ever bought Bioware points my CC got locked for suspicious transactions.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Draft said:
As a true baller PC gamer, my desk chair costs more than my couch.

My couch ain't no slouch, either. The chair is just that good.
Is it one of those aeron numbers?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
thetrin said:
At this point in my life, I'm trying to figure out why people buy consoles to play games like Dragon Age and Modern Warfare.

I buy consoles to play exclusives. It just seems kind of dumb to play PC-centric games on a console.
I do the same. I have a stellar collection of PS3 games that aren't available on PC.

legend166

EviLore said:
Anyone else, while we're here and while the thread has already gone to shit? Big comfy couch? 5.1 surround sound? $10,000? HDTV? Gamepad? Patches? Bugs? Too busy failing at picking up women to figure out how to plug in a cable (figures...)? Let's hear it.

What's with turbo buttons?

If PCs were so great, they'd be turbo straight away without having to push a button.

Mrbob said:
Also consoles have easier accessibility to selling post release DLC.

Only while Bioware refuse to use a competent DLC service like Steamworks. Heck, even GFWL would have been a huge improvement.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
EviLore said:
Anyone else, while we're here and while the thread has already gone to shit? Big comfy couch? 5.1 surround sound? $10,000? HDTV? Gamepad? Patches? Bugs? Too busy failing at picking up women to figure out how to plug in a cable (figures...)? Let's hear it.

Personal preference completely? I think that is probably the best reason why.

And $10,000? I want your computer Evil :lol (Kidding)

I think I want to raise one point (not a troll, please don't misconstrue)

Not wanting Digital Distribution. I can't find a copy of The Witcher EE (Before I gave up on it) without it being DD and I dislike that mode of issuing games. DD is, at least from my personal experience of a lack of computer games in my area, the only viable distribution system these days it seems and I'm not interested in it. (This isn't a troll, I'm just raising a point)

Azih

Console gamers just spend a whole lot more on software than PC gamers do. That's it and that's all.

Mrbob

You guys didn't enjoy going through the maze of bioware social to get your bioware points? :lol

Yeah that setup was terrible. Do not want in Dragon Age 2.

Vaporak

lsslave said:

Not wanting Digital Distribution. I can't find a copy of The Witcher EE (Before I gave up on it) without it being DD and I dislike that mode of issuing games. DD is, at least from my personal experience of a lack of computer games in my area, the only viable distribution system these days it seems and I'm not interested in it. (This isn't a troll, I'm just raising a point)

Just so you know, the EE version of The Witcher just means it comes with all the patches already included, it's no different than buying it retail and patching it yourself iirc.

lsslave said:

Not all DD is alike. PC DD is fantastic its cheap, convenient and comes with all manner of perks. Forget about your silly hangups and go and pick up a copy for £5 right now:

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/summersale

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Azih said:
Console gamers just spend a whole lot more on software than PC gamers do. That's it and that's all.

I highly doubt the average console gamer spends as much money as I do on Steam sales!

Zefah said:
I highly doubt the average console gamer spends as much money as I do on Steam sales!

Well I used to spend more on consoles for sure. Here I can get L4D2 for about NZ$45 on Steam, yet it still costs more than NZ$100 on Xbox.

Wag

shintoki said:
I don't quite understand this reasoning. Is there a difference between playing on PC and on console? Most of the time, once the game gets starts there really isn't. You can play with a Pad on PC and hook it up to a TV. It feels exactly like the same thing except I'm given more options. :lol
I played Fallout 3 PC on my HDTV with a 360 pad from my couch and intend to do the same with Fallout: New Vegas (they better not remove 360 pad support when moving to Steam). Perfect game for using a pad.

Conversely, I will not play a game like Dragons Age with a pad on my HDTV. I prefer playing RPGs like DA on my higher res Dell u2711 display.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
brain_stew said:
Not all DD is alike. PC DD is fantastic its cheap, convenient and comes with all manner of perks. Forget about your silly hangups and go and pick up a copy for £5 right now:

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/summersale

There was just recently a GAF thread where a guy got locked out of Steam because of THEIR (Valve's) fuckup and he couldn't play any of his games that he had paid for...

I think my hangups on DD remain for now, plus I actually LIKE spending money on the physical item. Its DD itself I despise :)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
lsslave said:
There was just recently a GAF thread where a guy got locked out of Steam because of THEIR (Valve's) fuckup and he couldn't play any of his games that he had paid for...

I think my hangups on DD remain for now, plus I actually LIKE spending money on the physical item. Its DD itself I despise :)

Actually it was paypal's fuckup. Valve didn't help much/quickly, but the error was on paypals side.

thetrin said:

I don't think it's so much that people buy consoles to play those particular games, it's that they already have a console that they can play those games on, while they may not have a PC that can run them. The average person is going to choose "good enough at no extra cost" to "considerably better, but costs money", everytime.

koji

So I guess I won't be buying this, audience on consoles, cool story bro... Next up streamlined combat and 3skills ruleset.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Zerokku said:
Actually it was paypal's fuckup. Valve didn't help much/quickly, but the error was on paypals side.

Ah, my mistake. Still, it would really piss me off in the end, but I have many other reasons for opposing DD. (Also, DRM is another thing that turns me off of PC gaming, but thanks to Capcom we can't even get Final Fight on PSN without it :lol )

ANYHOW! While I'm not here to troll (as I said, personal preference is all that matters) I have to say, how about when they consolize it they also don't have a bullshit section like the Dwarven (blanking on name) section of the game like in #1? That'd be fantastic!

Bento said:
Oh wow, ambitious ^^

Nothing's changed since I wrote that several months ago, I'd probably have linked it if someone else hadn't. It's sad but true, I think.

I can see where he is coming from as someone who grew up playing a ton of PC games in 90's and especially first person RPG:s like Might & Magic, Lands of Lore, Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder and so forth. A genre that is now, and has been for a long time, extinct on the PC and lives on solely due to the awesomeness of Japan and handheld gaming.

Not a genre I ever played much of, but I did love 2000's Wizards & Warriors, it was such a great game... it's really too bad that the only first-person RPG of note after it on the PC was Wizardry 8. After that the genre died. Sim games are the best example probably of the fading of PC gaming because they were big-budget projects which required a lot of time and money, which explains why now they are entirely gone instead of just very much weaker like almost all of the other old PC genres, but yes, that absolutely is one on the list.

It's interesting that adventure games have managed to sort of resurrect themselves, after almost a decade of being almost dead, but they only did so with (European developers and) much lower budgets compared to the great adventure games of decades past. I don't know if space sims, for instance, would work on that scale...

Times have changed but once again, all is not doom and gloom since some of these dying genres are gaining some ground again thanks to indie or mid-sized developers. Elemental, Machinarium, Drakensang, Dwarf Fortress, Shattered Horizon, AI Wars and Flotilla show that there still is diversity within the PC market and hopefully as DD becomes more prevalent this trend will only improve.

/rant

But there were good "indie" (shareware/freeware stuff would go in that category for sure for instance) games before, too. I would probably agree that the indie side of PC gaming is in as good shape as it ever has been, but when almost all of the interesting PC games are indie, you really don't see a problem?

I mean you're right, those are good games. I have Drakensang, great game. (Have Shattered Horizon too, pretty good for what it is, but multiplayer FPSes have never been my thing) But a lot has definitely been lost, and it doesn't look like it's going to come back -- and it's definitely to the detriment of gaming in general, because most of what was lost were the deeper, more complex games... yes, they still exist, but in less polished, less approachable, and less well known (as I said in that thread, this is one of the main reasons why the death of retail matters) forms.

I like both console and PC games a lot, but gaming is worse without PC games at their best. Of course you're right that it's not all bad, there certainly are still PC games in some forms, even though the big budget PC game of old is, as I said, on its last legs. But the situation is not exactly great, either.

AdrianWerner said:
I think it's the best thinng to happen in pcgaming in last decade. Those big budgeted PC exclusives were killling PC gaming imo.

... How exactly does PC gaming dying help it? That sound somewhat Orwellian...

As I said, sure, the strength of indie PC gaming today is great, but it's just not a full replacement for the innumerable studios that used to make PC games but now are either console-centric or gone.

Xenon

I love this "just plug in an HDMI cable" reasoning here. Does everyone here believe that people have their computers that close to their home theater setups? :lol

I have a friend who is still a PC gamer. It's funny listening to his bitching about computer problems. It reminds me of all the time I wasted messing with my PC instead of gaming. Most people do not want to bother which is why console games sell so much more, even with the inferior controls =P I would also like to point out how video card manufacturer have driven the platform into the ground with all their bullshit: confusing names, wasted features, and ridiculous pricing.

Maybe things are different now. Considering, the last time I tried to seriously put a gaming PC together was a few years ago. But I doubt it since most held the same exact opinions back then.

Grayman

Xenon said:
I love this "just plug in an HDMI cable" reasoning here. Does everyone here believe that people have their computers that close to their home theater setups? :lol

I have a friend who is still a PC gamer. It's funny listening to his bitching about computer problems. It reminds me of all the time I wasted messing with my PC instead of gaming. Most people do not want to bother which is why console games sell so much more, even with the inferior controls =P I would also like to point out how video card manufacturer have driven the platform into the ground with all their bullshit: confusing names, wasted features, and ridiculous pricing.

Maybe things are different now. Considering, the last time I tried to seriously put a gaming PC together was a few years ago. But I doubt it since most held the same exact opinions back then.
It is all just excuses against the plug in a cable option. I have an extra long hdmi cord going from my PC desk to a tv. If they were in separate rooms it would still be as easy as moving a vacuum.

Shaka

koji said:
So I guess I won't be buying this, audience on consoles, cool story bro... Next up streamlined combat and 3skills ruleset.
Dude, they haven't changed the combat. So you can take that off your why I'm not buying list.

Walshicus

I loved the first Dragon Age on 360. Dragon Age 2 just looks like shit from what we've read so far.

And even though I'd never have bought this on PC [personal preference] it's still pretty much a reinforcement of my extreme disdain for the sequel that the PC version has been so neutered.

lsslave said:
There was just recently a GAF thread where a guy got locked out of Steam because of THEIR (Valve's) fuckup and he couldn't play any of his games that he had paid for... I think my hangups on DD remain for now, plus I actually LIKE spending money on the physical item. Its DD itself I despise :)
gamersgate isn't a subscription based dd service like steam though.

also that link just changed to week2
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BORDERL/borderlands
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CRADA/chronicles-of-riddick-assault-on-dark-athena
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NECVIS/necrovision
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NECVISLC/necrovision-lost-company
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RFG/red-faction-guerrilla
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SAINTS2/saints-row-2

(y)

edit: oh yeah also, not getting dragon age 2 then. whatever. didn't like the first one anyway.

koji

Shaka said:
Dude, they haven't changed the combat. So you can take that off your why I'm not buying list.

What is this reasoning you are doing, I'm against it, AGAINST I tell ya! ;-)

ElyrionX

I played Dragon Age on the 360 but when i saw someone playing it on isometric on the PC i was blown away. If i had a good pc i would have bought the pc version just for the isometric perspective and mouse controls. In fact playing DA2 on the PC is a huge push factor for me to build a new pc but without isometric that doesnt really exist anymore. Oh well.

As someone who's been a huge fan since the BG days, Bioware is just so disappointing these days. Sigh.

ElyrionX

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't think it's so much that people buy consoles to play those particular games, it's that they already have a console that they can play those games on, while they may not have a PC that can run them. The average person is going to choose "good enough at no extra cost" to "considerably better, but costs money", everytime.

Pretty much. My pc is 6 years old and i am sorely tempted by sc2 to build a new pc but when i did the numbers, jesus christ, it ain't cheap for something that will be used mainly for gaming and that will be outdated in 3 years. If there were more AAA exclusives i could make an argument for it but there just aren't that many even when looking at the stuff i've missed in the last 3 years.

Xenon said:

I love how people who don´t want to put in any effort at all are suprised that things does not happen by themselves by magic. If you have any interest at all of connecting your PC to your TV, then yes, you might want to consider where you place your TV.

Xenon said:
I

Well people who do this now say that things are different, so perhaps you should listen to them a bit. That might give a better view of things instead of your own assumptions based on old experiences.

Jirotrom

ElyrionX said:
Pretty much. My pc is 6 years old and i am sorely tempted by sc2 to build a new pc but when i did the numbers, jesus christ, it ain't cheap for something that will be used mainly for gaming and that will be outdated in 3 years. If there were more AAA exclusives i could make an argument for it but there just aren't that many even when looking at the stuff i've missed in the last 3 years.
been running my pc for 2 years goin on 3 and i still get above 60 frames per second in nearly everygame. this is while running all games in 1080p. As someone who has been pc gaming since the 90s its "way" cheaper than it used to be and the life of parts are way longer.

chico

no overhead view?
are they fucking stupid?
first DA was PC only...and now DA2 is optimized for consoles and they take out everything tha made the game great.

well... more money to spend on other games. fu EA

Q8D3vil

Only while Bioware refuse to use a competent DLC service like Steamworks. Heck, even GFWL would have been a huge improvement.
that x10000
i didn't buy mass effect 2 dlc because of the shitty bioware points
at least release it on gfwl :/

legend166

Jirotrom said:
been running my pc for 2 years goin on 3 and i still get above 60 frames per second in nearly everygame. this is while running all games in 1080p. As someone who has been pc gaming since the 90s its "way" cheaper than it used to be and the life of parts are way longer.

Absolutely.

PC Gaming in 2010 is so much easier than it use to be.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hahaha, oh man. Bioware lost me with Mass Effect 2, and this is just beyond hilarity now. I'll stick to playing RPGs from other devs, thanks.

I´ve been thinking a bit about the rumours that Dragon Age only sold 250k on PC. That can´t be right can it? Cause if it is, then it must be really humiliating for Bioware when their protégé Cd Projekt managed to sell well over a million of The Witcher. You can´t blame the numbers on piracy of a lesser known developer with a more obscure titles manages to outsell you by 4 to 1, and there are plenty of other developers being really succesful on the platform.

If it´s true that the only sold 250k of the PC version, then I really hope that Bioware at least internally are asking the question: What went wrong?

Mr_Zombie

CecilRousso said:
If it´s true that the only sold 250k of the PC version, then I really hope that Bioware at least internally are asking the question: What went wrong?

Duh, of course it was piracy! :lol

But really, I don't believe that 250k sold copies info is true. After all BioWare themselves stated in that interview that PC sales "was really a surprise." and that the game was doing "really, really well" on PC market. If the game sold only 250k copies, I can't even imagine what their initial expectation were then.

Ventrue

CecilRousso said:
I´ve been thinking a bit about the rumours that Dragon Age only sold 250k on PC.

Looking at the number of downloads mods get, I don't think that's at all accurate. It's in the neighbourhood of NWN.

Top Bottom