• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Eternal Xbox One File Size, Separate Downloads For Campaign and Multiplayer Confirmed

CyberPanda

Banned
The DOOM Eternal Xbox One file size has been revealed today, alongside some new details on how players can choose which part of the game to download.

According to the Microsoft Store page, DOOM Eternal on Xbox One will be comprised of two different downloads for the single-player campaign and the multiplayer mode, Battle Mode. The first will require around 39.03 GB of free storage space, while the second almost as much, 38.74 GB. The total download size is bigger than the one for DOOM on Xbox One, so it's definitely a very good thing that players can choose which part to download first.

On a related note, new footage of the game's 2v1 multiplayer mode has been shared by IGN. You can take a look at it below.

https://youtu.be/8z-yhAly8Dk

DOOM Eternal promises to take everything that made DOOM great and ramp it up considerably. Demons have invaded Earth, and it will be up to players to send them back where they belong.
Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity.

The Only Thing they Fear... Is You.
Experience the ultimate combination of speed and power in DOOM Eternal - the next leap in push-forward, first-person combat.

Slayer Threat Level At Maximum
Armed with a shoulder-mounted flamethrower, retractable wrist-mounted blade, upgraded guns and mods, and abilities, you're faster, stronger, and more versatile than ever.

Unholy Trinity
Take what you need from your enemies: Glory kill for extra health, incinerate for armor, and chainsaw demons to stock up on ammo to become the ultimate demon-slayer.

Enter Battlemode
A new 2 versus 1 multiplayer experience. A fully-armed DOOM Slayer faces off against two player-controlled demons, fighting it out in a best-of-five round match of intense first-person combat.
DOOM Eternal launches on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 20th. The Nintendo Switch version will be released later this year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The option to ignore singleplayer or multiplayer in any game should be there.

I'm sure I read something somewhere about this being a big feature across the board in the next generation. Don't quote me on that. Makes sense though.

-Troid-

Banned
I don't know about PS4 (but I'm pretty sure it's the same), but DOOM '16 takes up about 100 GB on my Xbox. This is because at one point they provided all the multiplayer dlc maps for free but as a mandatory update.

I know the Switch version let you download/install the SP and MP seperately so I'm glad they're applying that option for DOOM Eternal on (I'm assuming) all platforms.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Yeah ps4 file size was insane. One of the only reasons I don’t keep it on my system. It used like 20% of my memory. Disappointing that it’s going to be similar but love that I can get rid of multiplayer that I never played in 2016.
Good decision

Banned
I think it's 55 GB on PC, but didn't have multiplayer.

it didn't have multiplayer? wtf are you talking about?
not only did it have multiplayer with several modes, it also even had a map editor for said multiplayer and for creating singleplayer and coop challanges.

"didn't have multiplayer" lol...
it even had a freaking beta test for the multiplayer and multiple DLC packs which are now all free btw.

the multiplayer was made by Certain Affinity of Halo fame... and it basically plays like Halo 4 on steroids

Last edited:

Stuart360

I don't know about PS4 (but I'm pretty sure it's the same), but DOOM '16 takes up about 100 GB on my Xbox. This is because at one point they provided all the multiplayer dlc maps for free but as a mandatory update.

I know the Switch version let you download/install the SP and MP seperately so I'm glad they're applying that option for DOOM Eternal on (I'm assuming) all platforms.
Its weird you said that because i remember downloading DOOM on Steam months ago, and it was like 95gb, but i just tried again today and it was 70gb.

Banned
Its weird you said that because i remember downloading DOOM on Steam months ago, and it was like 95gb, but i just tried again today and it was 70gb.

maybe they release a patch to reduce file size?
that happened recently with another game too (can't remember what it was)

I bet there was a bunch of duplicate data in the DLC files that had the potential to be reduced.
also better compression maybe?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Well that's fucking nice! Not that I'm gonna play in on Xbox anyway, but still.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think this will happen more often in next-gen. Especially with increasing download sizes. If anything reduces bandwidth for the PSN and XB servers.

However, game installation (which is mandatory, given the speed difference between the SSD and the optical drive) will be a bit different than in the PS4. This time around, aided in part by the simplified game data possible with the SSD, Sony is changing its approach to storage, making for a more configurable installation—and removal—process. "Rather than treating games like a big block of data," Cerny says, "we're allowing finer-grained access to the data." That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it.

They will be doing this, yes.

They both flirted with it with a game per game basis, from UC3 on the PS3, to Killzone: SF (PS4) and MCC on the XB1.

Going to be nice when this is built into SDK and UI for all games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I deleted the original off my SSD the second I finished the game cause it was an insane space hog. I might have tried the MP a couple more times or downloaded it after if it wasnt like that. So I am glad its split now.

MiguelItUp

At least they are including multiplayer on PC this time round.
Multiplayer existed in 2016, and IMO it wasn't nearly as bad as folks made it out to be. Just suffered a bit of a personality disorder, unfortunately.

So they going to add Deathmatch?
As much as I hate to say it, no. I don't believe they are. It looks like it's only Campaign and BattleMode. Unless they're hiding surprises, which I wish they were. There's future DLC coming apparently, so maybe it could appear then? Who knows though?

good maybe more people can send a message that MP means fuck ALL
Different strokes for different folks, y'know? A DOOM game with no multiplayer feels weird to me, lol. But I love the option being there for those that care to dive in. Something I always liked that COD did on PC. At least in certain games.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's weird how people keep saying there was no multiplayer in PC. The multiplayer was fantastic if only they hadn't locked maps, weapons and demons behind the season pass which killed the community.
I wholeheartedly agree. People are still playing it too! I really wish it was all done in-house though. I was really excited about Eternal's potential multiplayer/deathmatch as a result. But I guess it's not happening. :(

It really was good, I loved it quite a bit. All it needed was a few changes and it would've been perfect IMO. Remove loadouts, etc.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Multiplayer existed in 2016, and IMO it wasn't nearly as bad as folks made it out to be. Just suffered a bit of a personality disorder, unfortunately.

As much as I hate to say it, no. I don't believe they are. It looks like it's only Campaign and BattleMode. Unless they're hiding surprises, which I wish they were. There's future DLC coming apparently, so maybe it could appear then? Who knows though?

Different strokes for different folks, y'know? A DOOM game with no multiplayer feels weird to me, lol. But I love the option being there for those that care to dive in. Something I always liked that COD did on PC. At least in certain games.
I would say if you want MP get quake.
But nah..

MiguelItUp

I would say if you want MP get quake.
But nah..
Man, Quake Champions is the saddest thing, really. I still love the game, but it deserves SO much more than what it got. Hell, the Quake series in general. I played it SO much when it was first available to the public, and I had such high hopes for the game. But it just really feels like they gave up on it forever ago. I really wish they never tried to go the hero route in the first place, but it surprisingly worked better than I thought. Overall, because of its failings, a lot of people have been saying that it's "proof" that arena FPS/shooters are dead, and I couldn't disagree with that more. I think the game was poorly marketed across the board, I mean, there are people out there that are still unaware of its existence. Not to mention it also suffered a bit of an identity crisis here and there as well.

The saddest part is that ID, at one point, was saying that if you wanted that arena shooter experience that you should play Quake Champions when referring to Eternal's BattleMode. But, they really can't say that right now as QC has been on life support for awhile now. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom