• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP are you playing on console or PC?

people reallllly need to start telling people what platforms you are playing on, because it greatly has an impact on why you are saying what you are saying.

In this particular case Doom 2016 is waaaay more console friendly than eternal on terms of what it demands from you. You can kinda do that console shooter, stay on ground, strafe and shoot playstyle.

Eternal says fuck that. Dash, double jump. Air control, verticality, and if you cant figure out to make those tools look disgustingly nasty then you should question yourself.

However if you are playing on console, theb it makes more sense. 2016 is console friendly.

But man...i can see why this era of gamers prefers souls games over DMC or something, no respect for style and options at all.

Doom eternal is the first shooter ive ever played where you can throw something like the marauder at me woth other enemies, and i feel like i have every gameplay tool at my disposal to handle anything they throw at me. And I can make it look nasty.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad gameplay loop per se, but forcing you to conform to that playstyle is why a lot people dislike the game (myself included).
What? Just chainsaw someone wtf lol its better than looking for an ammo box or waiting for regeneration...

Once again though....console or PC?

Last edited:
I am in the same boat (kinda) but it's funny seeing people say ID delivered a bad game rather than our skill wasn't there.

Doom Eternal is like Pokemon of shooters. (lol) Every enemy has a counter and the number of decisions you have to take on the fly keeps ramping up as you progress preparing for even more difficult enemies.

I think I stopped at the second marauder appearance with some small enemies in a confined space. Game mechanics is EXCELLENT, it was just too hard for me.
Yeah its more like the DMC of shooters, gamers should be rejoicing about the idea of having more mobility and tools to do sick shit.

Doom 2016 was more strafe and shoot. Vanilla shooter gameplay. I didnt realize so many gamers were so....casual. especially ones that appently like gaming enough to join a forum for it...

MiguelItUp

I don't think it's a bad gameplay loop per se, but forcing you to conform to that playstyle is why a lot people dislike the game (myself included).
Oh yeah, no, I totally get that. That's one of the biggest reasons why it was so divisive since launch, and I get it. It's just a shame, because I feel like what's there is really cool, unique, and special. More so than the "I'm out of ammo, time to pick up ammo that's placed in the environment" standard, IMO.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because people don't like these game mechanics introduced in an already well established franchise.
Yeah I think the problem is not the game itself, it's that it feels like it betrayed the expectations one had with 2016... Which was my first Doom btw, the game is not bad in itself, it just feels completely disconnected from the previous entry and what we liked about it, one thing I hated was that ship basement stuff... Why? it literally killed the flow to me and made me feel about doing some unasked homework on top of the game itself.

It's a game of quantities on top of more quantities and even more quantities of stuff, it's just exhausting, but I'm thinking on restarting it at some point since I didn't know the chainsaw auto recharged when I played and I was out of ammo constantly and dying because of that, but I'm just not feeling like coming back to same game save.

GenericUser

I wouldn't say it "sucks" but I definitely expected something different from the game. They removed things from the 2016 remake that made it a great game and added stuff that nobody asked for. All for the sake of the holy "gameplay loop". I missed that you could more or less just use your favourite weapon in 2016 and only occasionally had to switch to other guns. The "forced" weapon switching in Eternal sucks and it proves that not everything that is written in the "how to design a modern game" handbook makes sense. Sometimes less is more. That is also true for the story parts in Eternal. I will never forget the scene in 2016 (pretty early in the game) where some dude tries to fill you in on some story parts over a speaker while you ride an elevater and the doom slayer just punches the shit out of the speaker. That was so awesome and you immediatly knew what you were in for. Eternal takes itself WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to serious with it's story. I don't really give a shit why I brutally murder hundrets of monsters. I hope they make another Doom and take 2016 for an inspiration. Also: please include multiplayer deathmatch from the start. Who came up with that shitty idea for the multiplayer in Eternal?

Last edited:

ududy

Neo Member
Agree. Doom Eternal's gameplay was over designed, and felt arcadey and contrived. It didn't feel like a game world, just a precisely placed series of platform/arena challenges. Endless enemy spawning, which I find an extremely boring gameplay trope, and no freedom to play your own way, as the game steers you hard into "optimizing" your gameplay to the detriment of any individual style or temperament.

I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
The only stinker here is you. Man, you're full of shit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I tried to get into Doom Eternal like 3 times on PC, and didn't like it every time. Doom 2016 felt like a perfect game but this one leans in too much on story and all the cringe "reddit" meme stuff from the first game (OMG HECKING RIP AND TEARERINO), gets too cute with all the different weapons and energy types, I dunno. I'll probably give it another try at some point but yea, it was a disappointment.

gladdys

I see it as a fps equivalent of a souls like when it comes to combat.

You got to play the arena sections, not go in all guns blazing, back off when you need to, farm the lesser enemies for health and ammo and then bounce back for the big enemies.

DLC part 1 was really difficult and I think they went over the top there, dlc part 2 was better and I enjoyed that more.

Like any game it won’t be for everyone, but I enjoyed it overall.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Couldnt disagree more with OP.....played it on PS4 a few yrs back and once you get into the groove it was fantastic IMO. Wouldve platinumed it if not for the annoying as fuck multiplayer trophies that count towards the plat.

I tried Eternal myself just a week or so ago and I too was largely unimpressed.

Yes, it's gory, crazy, brain-dead fun and is not trying to be much else - though I concede it isn't quite as simplistic as I'm making out.

But, still, it never really offered me much more beyond obliterating enemies in more and more creative ways, and that can only hold my interest so far.
I do see the appeal, mind you, and I wouldn't say it was total trash... it's just not for me.

Unfortunately, the poll offered a binary choice with no real nuance so I had to vote negatively.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Yeah its more like the DMC of shooters, gamers should be rejoicing about the idea of having more mobility and tools to do sick shit.

Doom 2016 was more strafe and shoot. Vanilla shooter gameplay. I didnt realize so many gamers were so....casual. especially ones that appently like gaming enough to join a forum for it...
Doom Eternal definitely exposed me as a casual. Doom'16 was fucking perfect.

Sygma

I'm not sure how you can say it's a power fantasy when you don't obliterate everything with just a couple of shots.

The words "power fantasy" to me means "baddest motherfucker, completely unstoppable, unkillable, destroys everything with a single glance". Doom Eternal isn't that.

thats exactly what Eternal is. you're utterly overpowered from the get go and it only gets better

ZehDon

Gold Member
DOOM 16 is great, but it is incredibly safe and buy the numbers. Very easy...
giphy.gif

When I played Doom 2016 for the first time I could not put it down and the multi-player is still alive.

When I played eternal for the first time, well, I got through the first couple levels and haven't played it since. MP was dead (on PS5), but I'm going to get back to it eventually and give a fair shot.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When I played Doom 2016 for the first time I could not put it down and the multi-player is still alive.

When I played eternal for the first time, well, I got through the first couple levels and haven't played it since. MP was dead (on PS5), but I'm going to get back to it eventually and give a fair shot.

It's actually, really, really good. Sure there is the odd spot that's annoying with too much jumping/climbing but the combat is fantastic and gets more and more frantic. It's really doom at its best, despite all the complaining.
The only other real criticism I could throw at it is the atmosphere of "creepy" is gone. But it's not like prior dooms were actually that scary.

The criticisms about having to chain saw for ammo vs pick up boxes are silly, either way you have to do something to get ammo.

BlackTron

OP are you playing on console or PC?

people reallllly need to start telling people what platforms you are playing on, because it greatly has an impact on why you are saying what you are saying.

In this particular case Doom 2016 is waaaay more console friendly than eternal on terms of what it demands from you. You can kinda do that console shooter, stay on ground, strafe and shoot playstyle.

Eternal says fuck that. Dash, double jump. Air control, verticality, and if you cant figure out to make those tools look disgustingly nasty then you should question yourself.

However if you are playing on console, theb it makes more sense. 2016 is console friendly.

But man...i can see why this era of gamers prefers souls games over DMC or something, no respect for style and options at all.

Doom eternal is the first shooter ive ever played where you can throw something like the marauder at me woth other enemies, and i feel like i have every gameplay tool at my disposal to handle anything they throw at me. And I can make it look nasty.
I think your point is cogent but for what it's worth I'm a m/kb guy and I didn't like Eternal. I think it would be even more maddening to play on a controller than the average FPS yes, but it's also still overly complicated and badly paced for a Doom game IMO

It requires too much thinking and fast twitch skills to be a power fantasy.
I mean....heaven forbid you have to work at something to be good at it. I think the skill ceiling IS substantially higher with Eternal, and it's a worthy successor to 16. It is a different experience than 16' was though and demands way more of the player to really be enjoyable. If one has the tenacity to get over the hump, it feels so rewarding and empowering to play.

raduque

I mean....heaven forbid you have to work at something to be good at it. I think the skill ceiling IS substantially higher with Eternal, and it's a worthy successor to 16. It is a different experience than 16' was though and demands way more of the player to really be enjoyable. If one has the tenacity to get over the hump, it feels so rewarding and empowering to play.
I am physically incapable of the fast twitch skills Eternal requires

Sojiro

Holy Necro bump batman, I just noticed the date this was originally posted. But go home, you're drunk, this game is phenomenal, and I love the health/ammo/armor systems that is tied to your abilities. Honestly I might even put it over OG doom as my fave in the series.....

I think your point is cogent but for what it's worth I'm a m/kb guy and I didn't like Eternal. I think it would be even more maddening to play on a controller than the average FPS yes, but it's also still overly complicated and badly paced for a Doom game IMO
Yeah im the opposite, doom 2016 looked like some basic shooter with a kill animation to me, and when I saw eternal I saw dashes, meathooks, air control and verticality and thought "ohhh finally a shooter thats giving me a tool set to be NASTY"

Not many games do this. Most developers dont give you tools to be nasty. Like anime nasty. So when gamers opt for a game that LESS of that and is more typical americanized shooter i look at them like they are hurting my hobby's growth.

its the type of gamer that cant wrap their head around being nasty in DMC but love FROM games. Thats the type of gamer that likes doom 2016 more IMO.

Like if you took doom 2016 and eterbal into a frat house with a bunch of casuals, guarantee they'd look better at doom 2016. So because of that, I stay away from doom 2016. Its more casual.

Neolombax

So far I am liking Doom Eternal despite feeling overwhelmed at times. Theres a lot to work with, maybe because Im older now I tend to forget to use the flame belch or grenades. I find it also tough to switch weapons fast enough for the different enemy types. I need to put the game down after every level though, its pretty intense.

dulleyes

Banned
What Doom game that I actually want to play needs a tutorial? In 2016, Doomguy literally swatted the tutorial machine out of his way. NOW THERES A GAME
I have no idea why they went heavy with the cutscenes in Eternal.

They nailed it without cutscenes in the 2016 version, why bloat it with cutscenes and a tutorial that literally drags you out of gameplay to teach you how to use a shotgun?

Confusing decision if you ask me.

BlackTron

Yeah im the opposite, doom 2016 looked like some basic shooter with a kill animation to me, and when I saw eternal I saw dashes, meathooks, air control and verticality and thought "ohhh finally a shooter thats giving me a tool set to be NASTY"

Not many games do this. Most developers dont give you tools to be nasty. Like anime nasty. So when gamers opt for a game that LESS of that and is more typical americanized shooter i look at them like they are hurting my hobby's growth.

its the type of gamer that cant wrap their head around being nasty in DMC but love FROM games. Thats the type of gamer that likes doom 2016 more IMO.

Like if you took doom 2016 and eterbal into a frat house with a bunch of casuals, guarantee they'd look better at doom 2016. So because of that, I stay away from doom 2016. Its more casual.
You can't even melee kill the most peasant skeleton enemy in the game. That's not just giving you options; it's imposing requirements in a way that I think is heavy-handed. The game clearly has merit and is running on many cylinders doing its own thing but people signed up for Doom.

I think there is an upgrade path from 2016 to have more tools and options to look "anime nasty" without flying in the face of Doom's spirit with too many imposed rules and mechanics. More complexity isn't always necessarily desirable, especially when it's mandated in a game (typically) about the simple joys of shooting demons in the face. If the next Smash plays like Tekken it would be a valid complaint; if it had a few characters with Tekken-like controls to expand the kit it wouldn't be an issue. Eternal is just a bizarre game in a vacuum regardless of the IP anyway though. I hate the pacing of the fast paced frenzied arena fighting broken up by all the tricky platforming sections. The feeling reminded me of Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Unleashed where I'd play a Hedgehog level for 3 minutes (the real game I want) and then something else I didn't want to sign up for, for 10-20 minutes.

The way your post reads I question if you even played 2016 because you're talking about how it looked "when you saw it". Ok, how about when you played it? Eternal certainly has more mechanics and options but this idea that 2016 is just a basic shooter "with a kill animation" seems inaccurate. In 2016 I was constantly running around and double jumping while firing in every direction. Unless you just watched a video of a journalist playing it on easy mode lol. Doom Guy's speed, double jumping ability, presence of jump pads and high level of enemy danger/speed meant mobility was important and the game was hardly a "basic shooter". It had its fair share of platforming, bottomless pits and complicated levels that required you to look around to find all the keys. They just hadn't jacked the level design up to 11 like in Eternal so it REALLY gets in the way, but you still had to be competent. Not some frat boy controller holding level shit IMO.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You can't even melee kill the most peasant skeleton enemy in the game. That's not just giving you options; it's imposing requirements in a way that I think is heavy-handed. The game clearly has merit and is running on many cylinders doing its own thing but people signed up for Doom.

I think there is an upgrade path from 2016 to have more tools and options to look "anime nasty" without flying in the face of Doom's spirit with too many imposed rules and mechanics. More complexity isn't always necessarily desirable, especially when it's mandated in a game (typically) about the simple joys of shooting demons in the face. If the next Smash plays like Tekken it would be a valid complaint; if it had a few characters with Tekken-like controls to expand the kit it wouldn't be an issue. Eternal is just a bizarre game in a vacuum regardless of the IP anyway though. I hate the pacing of the fast paced frenzied arena fighting broken up by all the tricky platforming sections. The feeling reminded me of Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Unleashed where I'd play a Hedgehog level for 3 minutes (the real game I want) and then something else I didn't want to sign up for, for 10-20 minutes.

The way your post reads I question if you even played 2016 because you're talking about how it looked "when you saw it". Ok, how about when you played it? Eternal certainly has more mechanics and options but this idea that 2016 is just a basic shooter "with a kill animation" seems inaccurate. In 2016 I was constantly running around and double jumping while firing in every direction. Unless you just watched a video of a journalist playing it on easy mode lol. Doom Guy's speed, double jumping ability, presence of jump pads and high level of enemy danger/speed meant mobility was important and the game was hardly a "basic shooter". It had its fair share of platforming, bottomless pits and complicated levels that required you to look around to find all the keys. They just hadn't jacked the level design up to 11 like in Eternal so it REALLY gets in the way, but you still had to be competent. Not some frat boy controller holding level shit IMO.
part brother GIF

If you have to fall back on the tired strawman of "I wonder if you even played the game" you failed. You lost any argument you were trying to make.

Just admit you suck at Eternal and move on, mate.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If you have to fall back on the tired strawman of "I wonder if you even played the game" you failed. You lost any argument you were trying to make.

Just admit you suck at Eternal and move on, mate.

I didn't have to fall back on anything; I made points about Doom Eternal in this post that stand on their own, and IIRC in this very thread pages back before it got bumped.

"When I saw 2016" and "I stay away from 2016 because..." raises doubt that he ever played 2016 based on the tone of his own comments, not because I needed it to make any of my points. Which, combined with levying the charge that 2016 is a "basic shooter" really should call it into question. Even if he did play it, it doesn't invalidate a single point made about my opinion of Eternal.

As for sucking at Eternal -I guess you're right? What I sucked at was having fun at it. I can die violently or fall down a bottomless pit many many times in other games and just keep going. In Eternal, I wanted to stop, because the cadence to the gameplay loop wasn't fun to me, especially after the expectations set from 2016.

I keep going back to the same example but the very first thing that pissed me off in the first room really does sum up what is wrong with the whole game. When I was shocked that I could not melee the shittiest little zombie enemy to death, I was sucking at Eternal from the first moment, for all the wrong reasons. The technicality and rules went up, the fun went down: a microcosm of what is wrong with the game.

SkylineRKR

I beat the game on Series S last year, at 120hz. And today I beat the PS5 version which was added to PS Plus. Honestly, I couldn't notice any differences between the 2, but Doom Eternal is absolutely like fine wine. When I bought it on PS4, I didn't even like the game, I hated it for the many reasons posted here.

But stick with it, and don't be afraid to lower the difficulty. I beat 2016 on hard with controller just fine, but Eternal is a step above and much tougher to beat on this setting. I dialed down to Hurt me Plenty and still had a rough time last year. But on PS5 I was significantly better, I barely died. Also helps that I did all slayer gates this time, and found all crystals. I was maxed out. When in the zone this game can't be beaten, you'll be dancing around while gibbing fools. Juggle all your weapons and mods, make using nades, frost nades and flamethrower second nature. Just spam em; they're on cooldown. Generally you want to kill every enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible, so when a Cacodemon appears I instantly switch to Ballista or shotgun nades.

I actually prefer the health system of Eternal, normally you would run away to find health packs, but here you actually go on the offensive, set a group on fire, freeze them and blood punch them or set one on fire and stun him for a glory kill to gain health. You get health by fighting. The ammo, yeah, its still a problem at times, but actually not that much as you end up with many weapons. Super Shotgun is still OP, esp. with fire hook. It deletes lots of heavy enemies up close fast enough and you get armor in doing so.

Actually the sole problem I have with this game is the final boss, its twice the same boring fight. All you do is unloading BFG and machine gun or something and then run back to chainsaw for ammo and spam crucible for health and to dispose of heavies in the way. Its a boring fight, the worst boss of the 2 games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dunno why Eternal is considered to be too complex. Need ammo? Use the chainsaw. Need health? Do a glory kill. Need armor? Use the flame belch.
Most importantly, always keep moving.
it's that simple.

Things I later learned was to never try to save my abilities, just use them all the time, the cooldowns aren't that long. Also the freeze grenade makes some encounters trivial.
Expectations. Most people probably thought they're gonna be playing an old school shooter and not and FPS take on character action games like Devil May Cry.

In my case I was immediately hooked because it was something new and exciting but for example for my brother it took him a while before he "got it". But as soon as it clicked with him he loved it too. I'm guessing that the detractors simply decided that it's not for them. They wanted the same boring ass shooter as before, and that was the end of it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't have to fall back on anything; I made points about Doom Eternal in this post that stand on their own, and IIRC in this very thread pages back before it got bumped.

"When I saw 2016" and "I stay away from 2016 because..." raises doubt that he ever played 2016 based on the tone of his own comments, not because I needed it to make any of my points. Which, combined with levying the charge that 2016 is a "basic shooter" really should call it into question. Even if he did play it, it doesn't invalidate a single point made about my opinion of Eternal.

As for sucking at Eternal -I guess you're right? What I sucked at was having fun at it. I can die violently or fall down a bottomless pit many many times in other games and just keep going. In Eternal, I wanted to stop, because the cadence to the gameplay loop wasn't fun to me, especially after the expectations set from 2016.

I keep going back to the same example but the very first thing that pissed me off in the first room really does sum up what is wrong with the whole game. When I was shocked that I could not melee the shittiest little zombie enemy to death, I was sucking at Eternal from the first moment, for all the wrong reasons. The technicality and rules went up, the fun went down: a microcosm of what is wrong with the game.

You can come up with as many excuses as you want mate. You just suck at the game and blame it instead of your own lack of skill.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why, because many have valid criticisms of the game and you can't stand seeing it? Just put the thread on ignore if it bothers you.

"valid criticisms" i.e. "Waaaaah, I suck at the game!"

There hasn't been *any* legitimate criticisms in this thread. Just user after user crying about how bad they are at the game. When you have folks claim they spent *hours* on platforming (which should only last a few seconds, at most and less than 0.1% of the total gametime) or how people are struggling managing ammo, when you get it so naturally through basic gameplay - there is no valid criticism. Just a bunch of single celled amoeba crying about a game they failed to git gud at.

Phase

"valid criticisms" i.e. "Waaaaah, I suck at the game!"

There hasn't been *any* legitimate criticisms in this thread. Just user after user crying about how bad they are at the game. When you have folks claim they spent *hours* on platforming (which should only last a few seconds, at most and less than 0.1% of the total gametime) or how people are struggling managing ammo, when you get it so naturally through basic gameplay - there is no valid criticism. Just a bunch of single celled amoeba crying about a game they failed to git gud at.
Everyone who doesn't like the game must just suck at it. Classic.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Everyone who doesn't like the game must just suck at it. Classic.

The people in this thread who are making "valid criticisms?" Yes, they absolutely suck at the game as anyone who has actually played the game to completion can tell you the "valid criticisms" are just blatantly false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom