• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

niilokin

Dunno why Eternal is considered to be too complex. Need ammo? Use the chainsaw. Need health? Do a glory kill. Need armor? Use the flame belch.
Most importantly, always keep moving.
it's that simple.

Things I later learned was to never try to save my abilities, just use them all the time, the cooldowns aren't that long. Also the freeze grenade makes some encounters trivial.
I always felt like the constant chainsawing for ammo ruins the flow of combat.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How? It literally allows you to continue the combat, endlessly. No more jumping around and scrounging for ammo. The Chainsaw is already a powerful tool and you only need to press *one* button now, versus the 2 you needed in 2016. It also takes less than a second to chainsaw an enemy in your way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 64 he single handedly defeated Hell's Armies. He has always been an omega chad. Master Chief was modeled *after DOOM Marine*, not the other way around.
But doom marine was always a human. And doom was originally more like a combat puzzle game. Halo is more doom than eternal is

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But doom marine was always a human. And doom was originally more like a combat puzzle game. Halo is more doom than eternal is
Are You High Basketball Wives GIF by VH1

Did you ever play DOOM and DOOM II? It was not a puzzle at all, aside from figuring out where to find the keys. Which is still in 2016 and Eternal. Hell, Eternal had more thought put into its combat and systems than the any previous entry.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are You High Basketball Wives GIF by VH1

Did you ever play DOOM and DOOM II? It was not a puzzle at all, aside from figuring out where to find the keys. Which is still in 2016 and Eternal. Hell, Eternal had more thought put into its combat and systems than the any previous entry.
Not that type of puzzle.
Combat puzzle. What weapon is good for what enemies. How to approach each room. Halo does this perfect too.

Roberts

I have no strong negative feelings about both games. Memory's hazy, but I think I liked the first one better because of its relative straightforward gameplay and simplicity, but Eternal was super fun too.

Kev Kev

I finished it after several tries and wound up kind of liking it, but it killed the franchise for me tbh. I'm just not interested in future Doom games if this is the direction they are going. If they go back to a more simplistic formula I'll be back in, but I don't care for this twitch shooting while juggling a dozen different tools kind of stuff. At least we still have 2016. That was such a glorious revival for Doom.

StereoVsn

Didn't like Eternal much. I go to Doom for lots of fast shooting, not to think hard on where I need to jump, platforming, melee combat to get ammo and so on. I did finish the game with trusty cheats 😅, but honestly it was a waste of time for me.

I mean sure, if you are into that the game seems great and super fast. Not my cup of tea. Plus, jeez, the story, what the heck.

Game is crap compared to doom 2016, doom 1 and 2 and doom 3.

Its story sucked and all it has for me is graphics. I want to blast demons and move fast. Some platforming is fine but enough with the limited ammo. This isn't survival horror or a puzzle game series. Hated it. Sadly many new fans like it and we will probably not get a classic fps.

We hardly ever get classic fps anymore.

Game is crap compared to doom 2016, doom 1 and 2 and doom 3.

Its story sucked and all it has for me is graphics. I want to blast demons and move fast. Some platforming is fine but enough with the limited ammo. This isn't survival horror or a puzzle game series. Hated it. Sadly many new fans like it and we will probably not get a classic fps.

We hardly ever get classic fps anymore.
You don't play doom games for the story.

Eternal embraces "blast demons and move fast" more than any previous game in the franchise or any other FPS.

The fact that it slams you with tutorials, story and icons made it feel like it was made by someone very different from the 2016 game. You know, the one that seemed to make fun of modern shooters with too much story and handholding.
Most of the tutorials(which each lasted like a minute) were in the first few levels to introduce the new mechanics.

And you have more story interruptions in 2016 iirc. I remember lots of elevator dialogue scenes in that game.

Most of the tutorials(which each lasted like a minute) were in the first few levels to introduce the new mechanics.

That is just not true. Up until the final boss, I had to watch video tutorials of how to beat the enemies - before I could even try myself. One of the worst cases of handholding I've ever seen.

Last edited:
That is just not true. Up until the final boss, I had to watch video tutorials of how to beat the enemies - before I could even try myself. One of the worst cases of handholding I've ever seen.
> I had to watch video tutorials of how to beat the enemies

Rarely happened after like the 3rd or 4th level. And the tutorials only took like a minute long.

Last edited:

DeathGuise

The games are very different in terms of what they're trying to get you to do. Your criticism of DE is just "I don't like the mechanics of the game." Yeah, the chainsaw is a device by which you continue the combat loop. You're not supposed to have a bunch of ammo of just your favorite gun, you're supposed to be goaded into using different weapons throughout combat. Enemy weaknesses are designed around different weapons too which provides incentive to switch quickly and thoughtfully on the fly.

Amazing that people are still making the same kinds of stupid arguments years later after this comic. "Final Fantasy sucks. God there's so many fucking swords!"
20060906-ERgxPyel-p1.jpg
20060906-ERgxPyel-p2.jpg
20060906-ERgxPyel-p3.jpg

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Managed to finish the the game and the DLC. With the first game, I went back through the game to unlock everything. It was just a lot of fun. The sequel was much more of a chore to play. It was made with love, but sometimes less is more.

nikos

The early Doom games are legendary but I couldn't really get into Doom 2016 or Eternal.

From what I remember, I wasn't a fan of the level design or having to shoot an enemy and perform a glory kill for ammo repeatedly. It felt tedious.

I may give it another shot at some point.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
How doing some melee combat to replace ammo ruins the flow of combat vs picking up ammo from the floor on Doom 2016??? Jesus, the logic of people!
Platform stuff and limited ammo killed doom eternal.
The game has literally unlimited ammo, opposite to Doom 2016! WTF?

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I didn't like the game, it was just deathmatch arena's with over the top wall jumping traversal to me without the Doom atmosphere, and i wasn't a fan of the ammo refill mechanics either, plus you wern't playing the story as well, it was being told to you from audio logs on the side.

Last edited:

niilokin

How doing some melee combat to replace ammo ruins the flow of combat vs picking up ammo from the floor on Doom 2016??? Jesus, the logic of people!

The game has literally unlimited ammo, opposite to Doom 2016! WTF?
Difference: Pick up ammo while you move and shoot (2016) vs. stop moving and shooting to generate ammo (Eternal). I prefer to pick ammo while moving and shooting :messenger_halo: .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not that type of puzzle.
Combat puzzle. What weapon is good for what enemies. How to approach each room. Halo does this perfect too.

Again, are you high right now? Eternal does that in spades. Sure, yo ucould kill any enemy in any method you like, but there are certain weapons that can instantly vaporize certain enemies. Grenade Launcher in a Cacodemon for example. Every enemy has this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Difference: Pick up ammo while you move and shoot (2016) vs. stop moving and shooting to generate ammo (Eternal). I prefer to pick ammo while moving and shooting :messenger_halo: .

You literally pick up ammo while moving. YOu don't have to stop to pick anything up. It automatically goes into you as soon as you chainsaw. Did you even play the game?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again, are you high right now? Eternal does that in spades. Sure, yo ucould kill any enemy in any method you like, but there are certain weapons that can instantly vaporize certain enemies. Grenade Launcher in a Cacodemon for example. Every enemy has this.
It is completely not the way doom should be. Not that puzzle, not crazy all things at once.
What you are describing is repetitioin in combat. Not combat puzzle. The game is too haptic for what I am trying to describe.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It is completely not the way doom should be. Not that puzzle, not crazy all things at once.
What you are describing is repetitioin in combat. Not combat puzzle. The game is too haptic for what I am trying to describe.

You are moving goalposts. The combat is only as repetitive as you make it, same with every other DOOM game. You could play through DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 64, DOOM 3, and DOOM 2016 with just 2 weapons if you truly wanted. Engaging in every combat encounter the same way. You can do the same in DOOM Eternal if you truly wanted, though you would have a much harder time. Given the wider range of enemies, weapons, tools in your kit, more vertical environments - it is the penultimate DOOM expeirence. You against a horde of demons slaughtering them in many visceral and explosive ways.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Running over it while you continue to shoot and move keeps the flow going. Having to chainsaw so much stopped the flow of my movement+gunplay so much it took me out of the action, making me bored.
You are not shooting anyone while picking ammo plus there are ammo on the floor on Eternal too.

Last edited:
Snapmap was an ok attempt but 2016 and eternal both being locked down and proprietary is antithetical to the spirit of doom, which is still relevant because of it's creative community.

MiguelItUp

Platform stuff and limited ammo killed doom eternal.
To be fair, if you found the ammo to be "limited" you're not approaching the combat loop like you're meant to. That's one of the best things about the game IMO. Once you get it down, it feels really good, and fast. But you have to constantly mix up attacks and abilities to ensure you're supplied with what you need at all times.

Last edited:

Phase

To be fair, if you found the ammo to be "limited" you're not approaching the combat loop like you're meant to. That's one of the best things about the game IMO. Once you get it down, it feels really good, and fast. But you have to constantly mix up attacks and abilities to ensure you're supplied with what you need at all times.
I don't think it's a bad gameplay loop per se, but forcing you to conform to that playstyle is why a lot people dislike the game (myself included).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Running over it while you continue to shoot and move keeps the flow going. Having to chainsaw so much stopped the flow of my movement+gunplay so much it took me out of the action, making me bored.
Blood Fueled Rune gives you a speed boost after glory kill or chainsawing an enemy. Pretty much gives you back that time in a more visceral way. Combine that with a quick flame belch and you're getting ammo, armor, and a speed boost all in 1 shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom