• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DONTNOD Entertainment reveals horror RPG 'Vampyr'

Kinda thinking the same. Remember Me had such incredible world building, but their systems need to be more than an unpolished first idea concept.
The combat of Remember Me was solid, problem is they sabotaged it with god awful enemy design. Making a combat system based on freedom and making your own combos then making enemies that can only be hurt by the weakest combo moves or by skills on 3 minute cooldowns is fucking stupid.

Menome

Okay Dontnod, you're becoming one to watch. I genuinely liked Remember Me and it made my Top 10 for 2013. Life Is Strange also looks intriguing, so if they can pull off these two new titles they can fill the Airtight Games-shaped hole in my life right now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The combat of Remember Me was solid, problem is they sabotaged it with god awful enemy design. Making a combat system based on freedom and making your own combos then making enemies that can only be hurt by the weakest combo moves or by skills on 3 minute cooldowns is fucking stupid.

The combat was still limited too a very limited number of combos which would end up making you pause often to change combos when you're getting bored of the current moves and the flow of the combat while it has certain rhythm to it it was not that tactical like they wanted it to be.

Yuterald

I'm finally playing through Remember Me right now and I'm totally digging it for what it's worth. Interested in that Life is Strange game of theirs too. I like these guys. More than likely down.

boinx

I'll take it. It's been a while since we've had a vampire RPG. Just hoping it's going to be really dark.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Let's hope it's not as disgustingly bad as Remember Me.

Remember Me was not disgustingly bad. Hyperbole much?

The combat was below average maybe, but not awful. The story was certainly above-average and the setting and art style were fantastic.

Thank you Vampire Jesus!!
Now somebody please e-mail them a copy of Vampire: Bloodlines
Honestly they could crib wholesale from the Masquerade IP and I wouldn't mind

Niiice.

Also no female protagonist ?

No VTMB sequel, let's cash in on the vampire stuff.

His patient could be female? Eventually we may even play as her.

Wow. Dr. Acula.

Wow. Lame.
I laughed. From Scrubs or you? =p

So, an Horror RPG by Dontnod, just after the First World War, with a doctor becoming a vampire and choices to make? Interesting, can't wait to see the first screens. The artwork is really cool, already a good point for that game!

levyjl1988

Banned
I don't like seeing a male protagonist on the cover. Hopefully I can play as a female or I'll skip on this altogether.

I don't like seeing a male protagonist on the cover. Hopefully I can play as a female or I'll skip on this altogether.

What? I really don't understand people who only want to play as their own (or the other) gender. Okay it might be more immersive or a better fantasy for you personally, but it really won't change the game, like at all. (Unless they have gender-specific storylines and stuff but you know what I mean.)

Edit: I'm talking about single player, story driven games btw. It's fine to skip a multiplayer game because of a lack of a certain gender where it doesn't make sense not to have it there, like older CODs, Arcana Heart etc IMO.

Sounds interesting. An authentic setting is definitely something DONTNOD can pull off, at the very least.

After Remember Me, I'll keep an eye on anything they're involved with.

Sounds really interesting, hope its fun unlike Remember Me.
What? I really don't understand people who only want to play as their own (or the other) gender. Okay it might be more immersive or a better fantasy for you personally, but it really won't change the game, like at all. (Unless they have gender-specific storylines and stuff but you know what I mean.)

Edit: I'm talking about single player, story driven games btw. It's fine to skip a multiplayer game because of a lack of a certain gender where it doesn't make sense not to have it there, like older CODs, Arcana Heart etc IMO.
Agreed. Honestly I think its people bitching just to bitch. If something small like that prevents you from being interested you're just not interested in the concept at all in the first place

Lime

I hope they actually hire talented and capable writers.

Good luck to anyone hoping this will even be remotely equivalent to Bloodlines in terms of writing and storytelling.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh, hell yes. I have been wanting a vampire RPG since forever. These guys have proven that they are pretty talented as well. While Remember Me was nothing spectacular, it was far from being a terrible game. They have the chops to pull this off.

I take it you're jesting about the fact that DONTNOD other 2 games have female protagonist.

would be interesting to see what their stance on that would be if this game does well while Life is Strange tanks

system11

FOCUS Int. does console games? I only know of their name from obscure budget PC games, like Wargame.

Yes, I'm finding their output strangely compelling - middle tier stuff.

Bound By Flame
Styx
Sherlock Holmes

So, put me on the 'interested' list. Remember Me was one of my favourite games of last gen.

Steel

Banned

Just have to say, that edit makes no sense? I agree with your overall point before that, but I don't see why someone would skip a multiplayer because it lacked gender options, specifically FPS where you only look at your enemy for a couple seconds before they're dead.

I take it you're jesting about the fact that DONTNOD other 2 games have female protagonist.

would be interesting to see what their stance on that would be if this game does well while Life is Strange tanks

Considering the difference in genres, this is pretty much guaranteed to outsell life is strange.

astroknight

Neo Member
Would love to see how they improved after their very first game. I hope they've learned better combat mechanics this time around

collige

Banned
Apparently the Y in the name relates to the choices in the game where the doctor faces moral quandaries as his doctor side tries to heal, while his vampire nature wants to kill and feed.
The first thing I thought is that this is the exact same concept as Dr. McNinja, except with a vampire.

Just have to say, that edit makes no sense? I agree with your overall point before that, but I don't see why someone would skip a multiplayer because it lacked gender options, specifically FPS where you only look at your enemy for a couple seconds before they're dead.

I don't know, if a dev prioritises other less significant things over adding a gender option for multiplayer games like COD, it kind of doesn't feel like they want to be that inclusive. Also some unfortunate tropes can arise if the playable cast is just one gender.

GavinUK86

I don't know, if a dev prioritises other less significant things over adding a gender option for multiplayer games like COD, it kind of doesn't feel like they want to be that inclusive. Also some unfortunate tropes can arise if the playable cast is just one gender.

Google Dontnod. We'll wait.

Takuan

Cool premise. I'm glad they're still around after Remember Me received a lukewarm response. Also, one of my favorite Magic: The Gathering artists is a co-founder of the studio, so I'm always rooting for their success.

Top Bottom