• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon forbidden west looks next gen or current gen?

Does HW FW looks next gen or current Gen?

• Next Gen

• Current Gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Neo_game

I voted for last gen because the game was in development for sometime and I am sure they were told pretty early on to make the game on last gen console as well. So they had to keep PS4 specs in mind. If the game turns out like CP2077. Which I do not think will happen. Then it could only mean this game was not meant to be for the PS4.

It is lame and stupid to make out out the game looks current gen. That said it's not quite the huge leap I was expecting but they've also upped the scale of the game and also have those wonderful underwater sections and I reckon the game is a year off coming out and I'm sure when played on an actual PS5 in one's house it will blow the last game out the water ;)

Rea

You really think GG developed an engine that could only be as good as the PS4 would allow it? About the only ones who know the real power of DECIMA are Sony, GG and I guess Kojima Productions. This isn't UE4; that engine is going to be around for a long awhile.
I mean the Decima engine currently is still limited with PS4 I/O in mind and still not optimized for PS5 revolutionary I/O system. That's why it can still run on PS4. In the future there will be Decima engine 2.0 and fully optimized for PS5, which is impossible to run on PS4.
Currently the game is like using everything ultra settings on PS5 but medium or high settings on PS4.

kungfuian

I loved the first game and am really looking forward to part 2 but personally this demo didn't really do much for me.

Not so much to do with graphics or tech per se, although the world feels a little crowded/busy and garish for my tastes, but I was kinda bummed they chose to show such a linear segment set in really small environments.

I know it was a little slice of the game demoing certain features but I was just really hoping to see some exploration in open world spaces. To be clear, this is not to insinuate any potential impact on graphics of small vs. open spaces, because the first Horizon's fidelity was pretty consistent with both. I just want to see open world gameplay.

Also re the next gen vs. last gen thing. It's reasonable to assume all Sony cross gen games like Miles, Sackboy, and this were originally planned as PS4 games and then bumped up to include PS5 versions at some point. This game looks gorgeous for sure, but like all next gen so far (both cross gen and PS5 exclusives), it looks like a PS4 game on steroids to me.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I wasnt gonna vote until I saw a comparison between this, Demon's Souls and Rift Apart.

After seeing that....looks next gen easily. Some of us have been saying over n over n over....despite it being cross gen I expected it to look amazing. Miles was proof of this.

Do people still trust trailers?
Wait until the game is out then judge it in action.
Good thing the trailers say Captured on PS5. There were enough flaws to absolutely trust the trailer.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Can you enlighten me where do you find the comparison?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let your eyes decide without compression bullshit from youtube:

state-of-play-horizon-forbidden-west-screenshot_6140675.jpg

51207333906_cd0f10030c_o.jpg

51207372216_5677fc62af_o.jpg

51208138454_ffa45b1e55_o.jpg

aabfe70ea9da43ac.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-43372-4519_0003_1.jpg

It doesn't look photorealistic, just like most Sony's game. Art style is dominant in the game. Still expecting more few years from now though, and expecting GOW:R to look better.

Horizon Forbidden west gameplay trailer is out, do you guys think it looks next gen or current gen?

Personally, i think it looks next gen for some of the aspects, eg. Characters model and facial animation, Subsurface scattering. Lighting. But the game is still heavily limited by PS4 engine. Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

How do you guys think?
I thought facial modelling and animation is definitely rooted in last gen, it's worse than TLOU2 for sure. Actual environments and density of foliage is getting somewhere near next gen but then not all foliage is reacting to the player. Overall though its very impressive and a first generation PS5 game, they will get considerably better.

VN1X

Banned
I think the majority of GAF (or at least the vocal minority?) needs some actual help as far as their eyesight goes. That or I've been tricked and this forum is actually just full of Zoomers who have no clue where this medium came from. Like I've seen people on here claim that FC6 looks *bad* or that Forbidden West looks "last gen". Yeah sure, Jan.

I'm actually amazed people can be this reductive and thick when it comes to current videogame visuals. Boggles the mind.

I guess being a graphicswhore was a lot easier back in the old days when there were distinct visual differences between certain games and new techniques being implemented were instantly recognizable as well. Oh well... I will pray for you.

Last edited:

Pantz

Some of each.

There's enough detail and new stuff to make it next-gen. Still, much of it looks like the last game. Like if they took the time to make a PS5 version of the first game it would be pretty close in some ways but still lacking in others.

It looks really good but I was hoping to be more blown away like when seeing the first game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
30fps is distinctly last gen. I honestly can’t believe Sony showed their big Christmas hitter running at 30fps.
They knew the visuals and gameplay looks so phenomenal that it wouldn't matter and they were right

Let your eyes decide without compression bullshit from youtube:

state-of-play-horizon-forbidden-west-screenshot_6140675.jpg

51207372216_5677fc62af_o.jpg

51208138454_ffa45b1e55_o.jpg

aabfe70ea9da43ac.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-43372-4519_0003_1.jpg

It doesn't look photorealistic, just like most Sony's game. Art style is dominant in the game. Still expecting more few years from now though, and expecting GOW:R to look better.
I wonder if those who voted this looks like current gen did so with a straight face. Or they need to book an appointment with an optometrist.

Venom Snake

Contrary to what some people think, it doesn't look like a ps4 game for me. The improvements i see on the Forbidden West gameplay for ps5 are beyond the reach of the previous generation consoles. I will not argue with the fact that the game was created around last-gen hardware, and thus the core presentation and game mechanics won't be significantly different/improved. But the devil is in the details and this is where the ps5 version makes up for it. It's up there with games we call "next-gen" without a second thought so... Definitely yes.

Orta

Banned
A bit of both, but beautiful looking regardless. There hasn't been anything yet that makes me think there isn't a single aspect of this game that wouldn't be possible to some extent on a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Rea

Most of them are PC/Xbox gamers, they don't believe so but it's too bitter for them to accept its greatness. Just open the votes and read the names.
I don't know man, after watching this trailer and i was wondering how this is gonna stack up against the game, touted as the best looking game according to many including Digital Foundry. The Cyberpunk 2077 with full Raytracing enabled. I watch from one of the youtuber, at 4k ultra settings full ray tracing running on 3090, that game doesn't look like CGI, there are definitely instances where it looks CGI but most of the time it doesn't. Low poly models everywhere.
Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice, it look one of the best looking game with RT enabled. But it just feels like a PC game that's all.

But for HW FW case, ever since at the beginning of the scene, my jaw dropped. I was watching with 1080p streaming live. Even in gameplay everything looks and feels like CGI. Except for some pop in and some imperfections. After watching 4k upload, i went crazy. My head keep thinking, how is this game gonna run on ps4. I am so curious.
So, yeah, i don't quite understand why people think that this looks current gen/ last gen. This game and RC blew my mind.
I don't wanna derail thread and turn this into Cyberpunk vs Horizon forbidden west war, so I'll leave it at that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know man, after watching this trailer and i was wondering how this is gonna stack up against the game, touted as the best looking game according to many including Digital Foundry. The Cyberpunk 2077 with full Raytracing enabled. I watch from one of the youtuber, at 4k ultra settings full ray tracing running on 3090, that game doesn't look like CGI, there are definitely instances where it looks CGI but most of the time it doesn't. Low poly models everywhere.
Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice, it look one of the best looking game with RT enabled. But it just feels like a PC game that's all.

But for HW FW case, ever since at the beginning of the scene, my jaw dropped. I was watching with 1080p streaming live. Even in gameplay everything looks and feels like CGI. Except for some pop in and some imperfections. After watching 4k upload, i went crazy. My head keep thinking, how is this game gonna run on ps4. I am so curious.
So, yeah, i don't quite understand why people think that this looks current gen/ last gen. This game and RC blew my mind.
I don't wanna derail thread and turn this into Cyberpunk vs Horizon forbidden west war, so I'll leave it at that.

Those are the same people that think that Baldur's Gate 3 controlling it with a mouse cursor is next gen. If you don't know what that game is just check it out on youtube and have a laugh.

Low res volumetrics, tons of clipping, flickering shadows, most foliage doesn’t really react, the water surface looks better than HZD but still far from the best we have seen…

HFW is as Next Gen as Miles Morales is.

Looks great, but far from next gen. It’s a game that’s made for PS4 ffs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can't wait for all the people saying the demo looked bad to realize they were watching at 480p on YouTube.

Even at 4K it gets heavily compressed. You can have a very nice looking sky/color gradation but when you upload it to youtube you get banding. See here you obviously see aggressive banding, but in game it's not there: (timestamped)

Game should look much cleaner natively as some fine details can even be ruined at a Youtube 4K video.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Looks like ZD on a high-end PC maxed out and wind effects on anything green, Aloy's hair is base ps4 quality
Looks nothing like ZD on a high-end PC and I've been playing ZD at max settings for the past 3-4 days so I was able to immediately pick up the improvements that were clearly apparent.

In FW, the facial animations are on a whole other level compared to ZD during cinematics. Animations, in general, are more fluid and a step above ZD, it's packed with even more dense geometry, foliage, and details than ZD at max, the lighting quality is much, much better - there's GI, the interaction with water and its animation and how it simulates is infinitely better with now added caustics, even the fabric material of the NPC we see in the beginning has received an upgrade and looks more realistic and detailed than Aloy's fabric material in the first game.

I could go on and on. HFW makes the PC version of HZD at max settings look flat and bland in comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom