• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon forbidden west looks next gen or current gen?

Does HW FW looks next gen or current Gen?

• Next Gen

• Current Gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

GHG

Gold Member
Having ray tracing doesn't automatically make a game look better. Does Minecraft having RT make it more next gen? No.

Horizon has a heavily stylized look which is partly what makes it look so good. Every scene in the game is a vibrant wallpaper.

People are throwing whatever they can at this game to cope.
  • No ray tracing
  • 30fps
  • the foliage doesn't move enough
All while ignoring all the areas where the game is setting new visual benchmarks, never mind the fact that it's open world.

I'd like people to show us these amazing looking games that they are playing that they think look on par or better. I'd like to play them too.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Definitely current trend, I mean gen…

n7VaYsO.png
What is it with Sony's obsessions with making all main female characters look like dudes.

first TLOU2, now Horizon 2.

What's next, Kratos with a vagina?

What is it with Sony's obsessions with making all main female characters look like dudes.

first TLOU2, now Horizon 2.

What's next, Kratos with a vagina?

Looking up sex changes in Norse mythology it appears Loki did change into a woman to fool people. Not saying it will happen in Ragnarok but it is part of Norse mythology.

Some of the Norse gods were capable of changing sex at will. For example Loki, the trickster god, frequently disguised himself as a woman. In one myth, he turned himself into a mare and, after having sex with the stallion Svaðilfari, he gave birth to Sleipnir, an eight-legged foal.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I've been playing metro exodus EE for the last couple of weeks on PC and based on what we've seen so far I think Horizon Forbidden West looks better.
Yes, that's called personal preference. I'm talking from a technical standpoint in terms of rendering techniques employed.

Metro Exodus redid their lighting system but everything else remained the same.
True, which is why I'm not saying ME:EE is a next-gen game and HFW isn't, I'm saying neither of them are, but the lighting quality of ME:EE is not something you can see from any other game on the previous-gen consoles, while the level of detail difference is much closer between HFW & previous games on PS4/XB1.

Again, let me re-state it: HFW looks GREAT! But it isn't from a technical standpoint a true next-gen title. Once it starts doing RT lighting, using VRS+FSR, Mesh shaders, etc. all of the technical capabilities of RDNA 2 on consoles (as seen under the DX12U spec also) then I'll be happy to concede the point. It's all meaningless quibbles anyway.

Until all of that happens though, there's only one game which has both phenomenal lighting AND the incredible texture & model detail and density in an open world environment, and that's an unfair comparison because it's only on the highest-end PCs. Nonetheless it stands alone.

7ff3o0gak6171.png

• LOL
Reactions: Rea
Both, actually. You can see the immense talent of Guerilla's coders and artists elevate the title to the status of a graphical powerhouse, but traces of it being still "limited" by the previous generation are quite clear, imo. I have no doubt that their next games will blow it out of the water, and still consider that Ratchet is more impressive and ambitious with its tech.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The graphics look early next generation, but the gameplay looks last gen (dated, stale, boring). It’s disappointing to me not seeing destructive environments still not playing a big role in world design.

reinking

Gold Member
I believe it currently looks next-gen compared to most previous games including Horizon Zero Dawn. That being said, I believe as we get deeper into next gen we will look back and see how much it looks "last-gen" and how much it was held back being a cross-gen game. I can't wait to see how much they can squeeze out of new hardware as the new engines and techniques mature. Next gen starting slow but I believe it is going to be one of the more promising generations due to a significant hardware bump and the new engines/techniques on the horizon (no pun intended).

ZywyPL

Banned
I think if you showed Last of Us 2 and the most recent God of War alongside Horizon Forbidden West to someone who wasn't in the know (ie your average gamer who doesn't read Neogaf etc.), they would probably think they are all in the same gen.

Or you could just blend in HZD footage into HFW trailer and one one would be able to tell it's two different games.

Last edited:
It's important to remember that this game is still many months away from finishing development, there's still all the polish to be done.
Don't forget that those recently Ratchet trailers and demons also had polishing issues that the developers said they where still fixing before the game went gold, and there's still more with Day One Patch.
A lot of issues we are seeing right now on Horizon 2 are probably only temporary. Also, we should expect the same attention post launch like it happened with the first game.

Loope

It's very hard to define next-gen as we've had many threads about that definition and it's concluded to be a judgement on an individual basis. Having said that, I'll say they improved their GI/AO system to roughly what should be the standard now with the latest games and the environments, animation and water look really good. Basically it's ranked right up there with the big dogs.
Yeah everything is up in the air now. You just need to say: the best looking game is x, and that's it.

Kagero

A couple parts looked impressive like when all the logs fell off that robotic elephant, but I actually wasn’t impressed with it over all. I feel death stranding did a better job with the engine. I hate overly saturated colors but I understand that’s a personal preference. I’m sure I’ll be more impressed when I see it in 60fps. I don’t know

pratyush

What kind of question is this? This game is coming on PS4 as well so obviously it will be limited in its design by lowest common denominator. Visuals can be bumped up and what was shown in demo won't be possible on PS4. So that was somewhat PS5 gen. Visuals were already great on last gen, so any difference would not be that obvious. But if they don't create two different game for last gen and current gen, only slight visual difference will be there. They can't just change the layout of the game if it is same on both

mejin

There is zero doubt the game would be more insane if it was made for PS5 alone. This is a fact.

But it is clear that HFW is also the most amazing example how to make cross gen games between last and current gen. No other cross gen is as good looking as HFW. And you can also put HFW for PS5 as one of the best looking games of the current gen.

Props to Sony and GG.

Astral Dog

Its a mix but i always knew Sony was gonna give Horizon a big budget to make the PS5 version look as pretty as possible, its not a typical cross gen release in that way, if the new GoW were cross gen as well it would be the same.

But, a game developed from the ground up for PS5 should look as good at least. So i expect big improvments in native ps5 games.this is just the beginning.

Simpkin92

I’m not a huge fan of the 30fps really makes it feel last gen. Also something about the faces seemed soft and plastic like similar to how some Halo infinite textures looked to a lesser degree

NullZ3r0

Banned
No ray-tracing and no streaming open worlds = last gen.

H:FW looks like a really good PS4 Pro game. That's not a bad thing.

It doesn't look that next gen. More like all these later gen games. It is more about increased resolution and framerate for the games.

Later gen games might look much better, but I think this gen we will get improvement in AI, NPCs etc.

Last edited:
It's quite concerning this is an argument to have about this game right now. It's the very first look at gameplay (for instance, how many of you were as wowed by the first gameplay trailer or Ratchet Rift Apart as you were by the recent gameplay videos? Remember, R&C RA has also been demoed running at 30fps).

However, I grow weary of the ever-increasing demands of the so-called hardcore gamers, and I included myself here. We keep demanding more eye candy, better graphical fidelity, at the same time we want larger worlds, faster framerates, life-like lighting, tons of effects, we don't like or want to pay more, we expect the game to be rated 8.5/10 to even consider buying it, and not necessarily at full price.

Jesus, where does all of it lead? Where does it end? We can never be satisfied. I hope the large majority of gamers are not as hardcore as we are over here and simply want a great looking game that's an awesome experience beyond the intricate technicalities we seem to be drowning in and take center stage above all else. We miss the forest for the trees. And I love a great fucking looking game as much as anyone. Pretty graphics sell, no doubt, but we need to stop being so excessively critical of graphics.

We all want the next thing to look better than the old one, I get it, but some games look more awesome than they even *needed* to, seriously, even by last gen standards. Some set the bar so high you can only expect so much of an improvement. We need to ease up a little with the critiques and wait until we can judge the experience as a whole. After all, the most popular games, the best-selling games are not those with all the most technical boxes checked or the most mind-blowing visuals.

I fear we demand so much we'll hit a point top-tier AAA development will get discouraged and it will just regress, regrettably.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Current, can’t imagine what next gen games will look like since we just started this one.

first, like many noticed, it's not going for flat realism in their artistic choices of over saturated looks and cinematic lighting always upon characters (rather than flat during gameplay and only in cutscenes) - it looks gorgeous as a Pixar animation, not as a movie.

the water material and deformation is great, the shadows with extra depth is great, the geometric detail on rocks is there rather than just a texture on flat surface, the resolution is ultra crisp and you can pick all details in fabric, skin and the cool designs of the machines. And last but not least, that lush vegetation still there and better than ever.

other studios will need to sweat a lot to top this.

hopefully by the time they get a rtx 5090 pc players will be able to enjoy it too...

kyussman

The first one was a damned beautiful game.....this was still a good step up for me,definitely next gen....but early next gen,things are only going to get crazier from here....exciting gen ahead!

ClosBSAS

Its next gen, ffs. What ppl don't get is that the wow factor is gone but its def next gen. Ps4 has no chance in doing that lighting, effects, models, cleanliness.

Msamy

😂😂😂 what the heck of you People's, I don't believe that someone asked about by far best looking game I have ever seen in my life looks next gen or not

MastAndo

Gold Member
It definitely looks next-gen, minus the 30 fps. Not sure what next-gen looks like if this doesn't qualify.

Neo_game

RT is expensive and going to compromise other gfx settings. 4K is out of question and unnecessary IMO and some it seems are allergic to 30fps and want wide open areas as well. I think many people are having unrealistic expectation from this gen.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you think next gen gameplay looks like

Games that break away from the "Go to point A to fight and enemy with your gun. We'll give you a story nugget that ends by telling you to go to point B where the cycle continues for 30+ hours."

I'm hoping (with less optimism now) that Forbidden West would give the player a more interesting simulated world where you, the player, are given a number of choices to advance Alloys story.

Last edited:
I picked next gen as I've not seen anything that good on PS4. TLOU2 has great character models and animation - probably better than this tbh but the world is a lot less impressive.

I will be amazed to see how it works on base PS4 - the first one was locked 30fps from what I remember so I can't see a PS3 Last of Us or XBONE Cyberpunk 20-30 fps situation but surely some huge cutbacks will have to be made as the scenes were so full of detail.

BootsLoader

Banned
Just to remind the level of interactivity with the vegetation will be completely cut off on PS4 (confirmed by Guerrilla). Can't imagine the LOD, POV and the lighting how much will be dialed back.
I expect that, but I’ll talk after I see the PS4 version.

Lethal01

Games that break away from the "Go to point A to fight and enemy with your gun. We'll give you a story nugget that ends by telling you to go to point B where the cycle continues for 30+ hours."

I'm hoping (with less optimism now) that Forbidden West would give the player a more interesting simulated world where you, the player, are given a number of choices to advance Alloys story.

That's just a different style of doing things rather than having anything to do with being next-gen. Games aiming to simulate a world are nice but not more or less next gen. Not saying that I don't think some games could be improved my more interaction with the world ala BoTW.

Like, I want more character action games but being a shooter won't make something last gen.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I expect that, but I’ll talk after I see the PS4 version.
I guess The Witcher 3 on console Vs the pc should give to you an idea, more or less probably even wider at least in the characters pov. Maybe the last Metro too is another good example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom