• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see Sony launching a XSS competitor?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’d say the PS5DE is the main competition for the XSS. They are within a hundred of each other. I don’t know which one will sell the most. The DE of the PS5 is the same as the one with a disc and gives you a lot more power for just the extra hundred.

Last edited:
This would be awful! Devs need to optimize for 2 SKU's if so. Presumably optimization will be worse.
To me looks like XBOX struggling to clearly outperform PS5 for that very reason (XboxSS)

Last edited:

Stuart360

I doubt it. In fact i doubt there will even be Pro models this gen.
PS5 will still 'win' the gen regardless. Xbox wants to get as many customers as possible for Gamepass, so they released a budget version for the super casuals, and parents buying for their kids.

SkylineRKR

I have XSS and its pretty bad value for money if you consider the PS5 DE, and consider the HDD is full after 3 or 4 games (I had GoW5, Halo 5, FH4 on it and it was pretty much filled up). Its good value for money however, if you use it only for GP and don't want too much at the same time on it. Games I beat are being thrown off. Its also good value if you want retro Xbox games. If you buy the extra space, you might as well get a Series X though you need to upgrade that one too as 800gb isn't going to cut it either.

I do like it, its as fast and accessible as the PS5 and SX, really makes the Pro and One X cumbersome. Though it already runs some last-gen up ports at 1080p. It can do RT and 120fps sure, but at what cost? Would MS be better off with a digital Series X? Who knows, but it wouldn't be 299.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's too late for that. Making all the games to be compatible with the weaker hardware, it's near impossible with the 3rd party publishers.

Honestly I think you and the ones saying this are right.

I think it doesn't matter if the machine has a capped GPU, Sony will push the product that will sell, if XSS starts selling more than their DE, which is not its direct competition (both DE and disk version are for XSX imho), maybe they should consider the possibilitiy, but yeah, third party devs (specially indie devs) won't like it at all, unless they somehow cap the resolution and or make it dynamic at system level to keep framerate on check, but still..

regawdless

Banned
As many others have already said, Sony has a console for it, it's called PS5 Digital Edition.

Way more powerful and relatively close in price. I don't think Sony will have any issues selling consoles. PS5 will sell like hot cakes.

cireza

Sony has very advanced manufacturing, the ps5 DE will probably undercut the XSS price in no time. And the XSS will get severe backlash from the small amount of SSD space.
Yeah no. XSS will also have its price cut, and in terms of components. It has half the SSD, less memory, weaker GPU. No way PS5 ever undercuts Series S.

And I don't see Sony doing this. This is not something you decide doing one morning, because you feel like it. Everything needs to be planned largely in advance, as it impacts game development directly.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Hell to the no.

Especially when it becomes clear that the series S causes significant delays in game development (Like CP2077 and current platforms) of multiplat games and developers eventually start ignoring it completely or porting shitty versions of their games on to it making them run like crap.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Not really, unless XSS turn out to really penetrate the market quite well and turns out to be a hit, then maybe sometimes 3-4 years from now they'll introduce some sort of PS5 Mini, alongside Slim (and maybe Pro). They haven't though about it from the get-go so it would take time to make such a console.

They don't need to, the digital edition at $400 is amazing value for the crowd that wants a lower price

Except you are tied up to digital distribution and its stupidly high prices, so within a year that initially saved 100$ completely vanishes. From all of the 4 next-gen consoles, the DE clearly looks like the worst offering, like yeah it's there, but most people purposely pretend it doesn't even exist.

Except you are tied up to digital distribution and its stupidly high prices, so within a year that initially saved 100$ completely vanishes. From all of the 4 next-gen consoles, the DE clearly looks like the worst offering, like yeah it's there, but most people purposely pretend it doesn't even exist.
Did you forget that Series S is digital only too?
Oh my god, you HAVE forgotten!

turtlepowa

Banned
Maybe. I mean after the PS4 Pro release 80% still kept buying the normal PS4 even though they could have double the power for 100 bucks more. Sony knows this and still produced barely Digital Editions, because they hate to take a loss. Maybe they are already working on a budget PS5.

vkbest

Nope.

- Sony would need 2 years for producing some cheaper, in 2 years they probably will begin to produce PS5 Pro and PS5 slim being this cheaper.
- The most games will release on PS5 would have problems because they was designed to run on superior machine.
- XSS is available on many countries yet despite the other new consoles are sold out

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Its called the all digital because for an extra 100 you get the full fat experience without a disc drive and the drawbacks of not having a disc drive and double the usable storage space

BeardGawd

Banned
Seems like some Sony fans are spooked. Next-gen isn't even a week old and people are asking if Sony will release a cutdown version lol

It would take a couple years to engineer and that would mean asking all these games to be patched to take into account the lower TFs and the lower memory footprint/bandwidth. It's too late for that.

Seems like some Sony fans are spooked. Next-gen isn't even a week old and people are asking if Sony will release a cutdown version lol

It would take a couple years to engineer and that would mean asking all these games to be patched to take into account the lower TFs and the lower memory footprint/bandwidth. It's too late for that.
It seems Xbox fans had never stopped wanting to believe they are frightening other people. For that matter, this is the next in a new line of threads titled "Xbox is making a huge mistake, Sony should copy them!"

From always online, to spy cameras, to releasing two different SKUs on launch day with different hardware, Xbox is all about "i swear Sony is going to copy us any day now! Then we wouldn't fail alone!".

Get over it. Sony is not going to copy a gaming division that came third in the console race.

BeardGawd

Banned
It seems Xbox fans had never stopped wanting to believe they are frightening other people. For that matter, this is the next in a new line of threads titled "Xbox is making a huge mistake, Sony should copy them!"

From always online, to spy cameras, to releasing two different SKUs on launch day with different hardware, Xbox is all about "i swear Sony is going to copy us any day now! Then we wouldn't fail alone!".

Get over it. Sony is not going to copy a gaming division that came third in the console race.

Sony may not copy the Series S but MS has pioneered a number of things that Sony has copied over the years.

From the Built-in HDD and Network adapter on the OG Xbox to Xbox Live and Xbox Live Arcade (Indie games). Party systems with voice chat. Custom background music. Achievements. Cloud saves. Voice commands. Snap mode. Even the Xbox controller shape.

Sony my be number 1 but they haven't gotten there without copying the competition (both MS and Nintendo) on a number of things.

I think so, but only when most of the new games start being made with the new gen in mind. Now, with PS4 still as base for many of the releases I don't think Sony will bother much as PS5 will still be able to keep up with the XSX. Perhaps in 3-4 years from now. Regarding the XSX I don't think Sony really cares about. Partially due to what I have said above but also because the DE which is not very far from the XSS in terms of price. I think people would rather pay the extra 100usd and pick something way better.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think Sony approach is better and more focused. Digital now and Pro later after they drop PS4 game support while Microsoft had to support many consoles.

Fitzchiv

PS5 DE is 399$ and Sony doesn't want to devalue the image of the PlayStation brand, which is pretty damn hot atm.

lAalHIB.jpg

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
No, because they have no reason to. The PS5 will outsell the series X and series S combined, with ease. Even if the PS5 was $599 it would still outsell them.

They have released a competitor.

It's called the PS5 digital.

No one in their right mind would pick the XSS over the PS5 digital.

For 100 dollars more you are getting the same power as the physical PS5 which is 2.5 that of XSS.

Not to forget a bigger/faster SSD.

The XSS is DOA. Get the XSX if you prefer Microsoft.
Haha what a hot take.

The series S will be the best selling of the S and X. It’s the best console for the large majority of people that would buy a next gen console purely because of the price and the specs.

Last edited:
The digital edition PS5 already makes the need for anything like that a non issue, you get a true next gen machine for only $100 more it wouldn't make sense to remove other features to save another $100.

Caio

No. PS5 Digital is already a """...competitors""" Killer. Why to make things more complex for Developers ? It doesn't make sense to have two different hardware(performance) on Day One.

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned
They have far superior product for just 100$ more.

I still bought S thought. But it has more to do with Sony it self, PS5DE is still in my opinion best priced console ever released.

yurinka

Sony already has PS4/PS4 Pro and PS5DE as cheaper SKUs. XSS is a mistake that shouldn't happen, MS should have followed the same approach than Sony. A weaker SKU holds back the next gen and requires extra work from devs for only a too small % of the overall sales.

Sony has a over 2X market share over MS, so they aren't worried about Xbox. And even less about a SKU that we saw in UK it's around a third of their sales. They don't need to do anything to compete against XSS.

In fact we have to make the question in the opposite side: what MS should make to compete against Sony? We saw they are closing the gap in many areas, like game studios, remote play, game subscription and so on. I assume the next MS step will be first to release cloud gaming system on consoles, and after that to partner with someone (very likely Facebook/Oculus or VTC/Valve) to bring VR to Xbox.

Last edited:

Dnice123

Sony is obviously losing money on the PS5 DE that's why there is so few of them. It has the same build cost as the PS5 with disc minus $20 or so for the bluray drive. Same APU, massive heatsink, custom SSD, power supply, etc. Its going to be very hard to lower that cost over time.

The Series S on the other hand has cost cutting all over the place. I'm betting it will be $249 sometime next year and down to $199 by year two.

acm2000

so many people don't get the point of the XSX in this thread, the PS5DE is NOT XSX competitor, the Series S is aimed squarely at the casual/kids market where cost matters and 4k doesn't, plain and simple.

The market its aimed at doesn't care about 4k, doesn't care about ray tracing etc, they care that they can play new and old games with their friends list, not one single person will buy a Series S over a PS5 so you console warriors can calm your tits.

Last edited:
sorry if this was uncleared, it was a hipotetical future scenario, not the current state of things

Ok... it's very unlikely though.

In answer to the question of your thread:

No. I don't even see a future for XSS.

Once third parties drop PS4/XB1 as dev targets and go new-gen exclusive, XSS will be a leaden weight around Xbox's neck for the rest of the gen, especially with their ill-conceived plan to have a common unified dev environment across XSX, XSS and PC. It's gonna leave a lot of XSX's potential untapped for most of the gen.

Third party devs may also hate it, if they ever want to stop making mere cross-gen games and build games that really push the top-end consoles (XSX and PS5) because the XSS is so weak and limiting it just won't keep up.

Alphagear

No, because they have no reason to. The PS5 will outsell the series X and series S combined, with ease. Even if the PS5 was $599 it would still outsell them.

Haha what a hot take.

The series S will be the best selling of the S and X. It’s the best console for the large majority of people that would buy a next gen console purely because of the price and the specs.

No it is NOT.

The PS5 digital is for the reasons I gave above. XSS isn't even a next gen console imho.

Of the 4 consoles(XSX, XSS, PS5, PS5DE) the XSS is the only one you should NOT consider buying.

Ironically the XSS will cost you more in the long run due to digital prices and the SSD needing upgrading.

Top Bottom