• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see Sony launching a XSS competitor?

noise36

Once they realise how much money they are making from people buying games at full RRP on their digital store they will just take a bigger loss on the hardware for the DE console and price accordingly.

Sony has very advanced manufacturing, the ps5 DE will probably undercut the XSS price in no time.

Never going to happen.

Last edited:
Performing 3x worse... Great deal!
3x worse compared to what? Last generations consoles? Casual gamers don't care about top end performance. They want a low price. Sony isn't catering to those gamers at the moment. We'll see how well it performs but the XSS is already doing things last gen consoles couldn't.

Once they realise how much money they are making from people buying games at full RRP on their digital store they will just take a bigger loss on the hardware for the DE console and price accordingly.

Never going to happen.
You know about economies of scale? If the ps5 digital edition sells significantly more, it will be cheaper to produce.

3x worse compared to what? Last generations consoles? Casual gamers don't care about top end performance. They want a low price. Sony isn't catering to those gamers at the moment. We'll see how well it performs but the XSS is already doing things last gen consoles couldn't.
Even xbox one x settings can't be used on series s. So backward compatible games actually look worse on series s than xbox one x. Given microsoft is going to support the one x for years, it wouldn't be surprising if next gen games like halo look better on one x than on series s.

Onironauta

That would make zero sense
All the games developed for the standard PS5 would need to be recoded in order to run on the weaker configuration
And with the PS5 Digital placed at the price, having a cheaper version wouldn't make sense commercially either

dano1

A Sheep

Well then Microsoft should have
just reduced the price of the Xbox one too $199 and made that for casuals ..

Banned
I don't know if they can... not after the original is already out.

developers would either need to patch every single game that was already released, or the system would not be compatible to a bunch of early gen games... those would be the 2 options, neither would be great.

MiguelItUp

No, because that was never Sony's approach or they surely would've done it already. Besides, the digital version at least adds another model that's SLIGHTLY cheaper. Maybe the second model of the PS5 will come sooner than later.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
What the title says.. But first consider this:

1. XSS ends up being an actual 1440p / 1080p of actual next-gen games and not a "last-gen underpowered machine" as some state

2. It sells much more than its bigger brother and PS5 DE

Remember that TV adoption is very slow, even TV content producers have a lot of their content still at 480p and even most of them do in Latinamerica, so 4K is probably not a priority for most people anyway.

I think there's a possibility but not sure, what do you think?
PS5 is the XSS and it smokes for a hundred £ more.

mcjmetroid

No need I think.

Microsoft only did it because they had no choice. At least in their mind.

Don't is in a very comfortable position which 99% correct decisions going into this gen..

They don't need a cheaper model.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nope. They don't have the service model to sell it. Their strength is exclusives and people will buy the machine needed to play them.

Didn't they do that already back in 2016?

ps4-video-games.gif

PS4 was launched in 2013 dude. And the DE is already the competitor.

No it would be extremely stupid since it splits developers resources into additional platform to test for when they have perfect situation with cheaper model having same specification as more expensive one.

Quasicat

If they wanted they would cut the price of PS4 and Pro.
Looking at how Sony has operated in the past generations, they release a new console and still sell the previous model for a couple more years. I can’t imagine that they could get the PS4 Slim any smaller than it currently is, like they did with PS3, but they could sell it as a really cheap alternative to the PS5.

Kumomeme

NO.

they already have ps5 digital version which is have better leg on long run.

price gonna go down in future, and there cheaper slim version gonna launch too. better they focused on that instead, without sacrificing specs and bring hassle to their first party studio.

Ev1L AuRoN

Sony is in a great position pricewise and they really push the developer friendly ideia, I would imagine that the last thing developers want right now is another SKU to target their games. I think nobody wants that.

Kerotan

Please god no I don't want Sony launching an underpowered piece of ass.

As the president once said:

We must go forwards, not backwards, upwards, not forward and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

I hope the next console Sony launch is the PS5 Pro.

Agent X

Sony's "entry-level" video game system already exists. It's called PlayStation 4.

Consider the $299 price tag of the Xbox Series S. Sony has just been handed a huge opportunity to employ some seriously shrewd marketing. They won't position the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition as being analogous to the Xbox Series S...no, folks, they're not going to take that bait. The clever approach would be to position PlayStation 4 as the direct competitor to Xbox Series S.

Here's how it works. Microsoft says, "Our basic system sells for only $299. It can play this holiday season's big-hit games like Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, FIFA 21, and Dirt 5. It's a good fit for people who have 1080p or lower TVs and don't need all the high-tech bells and whistles."

Sony responds: "We've also got a basic system that sells for $299. It's also got each and every one of those big-hit games, plus our award-winning first-party games like Spider-Man, God of War, and The Last of Us Part II that you'll never see on their system. It can play free-to-play games like Fortnite without an added subscription fee. Oh, and ours even has a Blu-ray drive, too!"

The casual and budget-minded video game players don't understand and/or care about SSDs, ray-tracing, and GPU teraflops. They don't play specs, they play games. Until the day comes when (and if) Xbox Series S breaks away with some hot must-have new games, it will be perceived by the masses as Microsoft's version of the PS4 without a Blu-ray drive.

That's how Sony will steer this comparison in their favor. They'll ensure that the Xbox Series S is forever viewed as the "runt" by associating it with PlayStation 4 instead of PlayStation 5.

Astral Dog

They would just lower the price of the DE and offer a GamePass like subscription service if they were that desperate

Dnice123

The Series S is going to the mass market nextgen system because its built to eventually hit $199. The PS5 DE won't see a price drop for years because build cost is pretty much the same as the disc version.

LOL, would be the dumbest thing they could do. Keep a consistent target platform and let it come down in price. If anything, they should focus on the mid-gen pro version.

elenapska

- They can't. Their software is not optimized for a less powerful console.
- They don't need a cheaper console, their brand is stronger, and PS5 DE exists.
- If MS reduces XSS price to something like 199, and then an XSX DE to 399, then Sony needs a new plan

Umbral

Isn’t the PS4 Pro already within spitting distance of that console?

Correction: Non-sole

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You can introduce a stronger console at the midpoint of a generation, or a weaker one right at the start.

You can't introduce a weaker console once you've already started a generation. How would that work? It would rely on developers to cut back preexisting, shipped games for the weaker box, some developers just don't patch things once they're done with them, it would be a mess.

Even xbox one x settings can't be used on series s. So backward compatible games actually look worse on series s than xbox one x. Given microsoft is going to support the one x for years, it wouldn't be surprising if next gen games like halo look better on one x than on series s.

I can't understand why people keep comparing the XSS to the X1X. The XSS is not an upgrade to the X1X the XSX is. The the X1X is already not being made anymore and we have maybe one more year tops for X1 development. The XSS has one massive advantage and that it isn't use jaguar CPU cores so it has way more longevity on that alone.

Well then Microsoft should have
just reduced the price of the Xbox one too $199 and made that for casuals ..

This makes no sense. The Xbox has been attacked over and over again for having a horrible CPU. Why would MS keep using that uber old tech which actually would hold back development unlike the XSS? The X1 is done.

I don't see Sony responding to the XSS no matter what. They would just drop the price of the PS5 or bundle some more games or something to make it more appealing if necessary. Most likely Sony fan would pay regardless so Sony has little to worry about.

Mokus

It's too late for that. Making all the games to be compatible with the weaker hardware, it's near impossible with the 3rd party publishers.

plip.plop

I don't really think Sony is going to go that route. It's pretty clear the path both manufactures are headed.
Sony will take the Apple model - premium console at a premium price.
MS will do the Android model - empty your pockets we got something you can afford.

The more GAF hates on the S, the more I think it will sell very well. We’ve been through this before with the 3DS vs Vita and the Switch.

But I still doubt Sony will do it, if only because it will be hard to get developers to go back and adjust their games for the weaker console.

Codes 208

Sony isn’t desperate enough to bother. Yes a cheaper console is nice but the overall value is minuscule when you look at the specs and ssd space. A year or two from now I feel the system will already feel it’s age. Not that it already isn’t with ports being launched at sub-1080p

Top Bottom