• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLSS vs. FSR Comparisons (Marvel's Avengers, Necromunda)

Md Ray

Marvel's Avengers:
NVIDIA-DLSS-vs-AMD-FSR-1-scaled-1-1480x371.jpg

NVIDIA-DLSS-vs-AMD-FSR-2-1480x623.jpg
NVIDIA-DLSS-vs-AMD-FSR-3-1480x757.jpg

Source:

Some more details:

GPU: RTX 2070 Super

59fps - 4K FSR Quality Mode
57fps - 4K DLSS Quality Mode

FSR is about 3.5% faster than DLSS - based on the screenshot below:
E6etfuJVIAEVQQd
E6etfqtVgAEy5PQ

Necromunda: Hired Gun

Necromunda-Hired-Gun-AMD-FSR-VS-NVIDIA-2-1480x833.jpg

Necromunda-Hired-Gun-AMD-FSR-VS-NVIDIA-3-1480x833.jpg

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Have they fixed all artifacts/bugs yet?
I’d say 95% of artifacts and 99% of bugs are fixed. On rare occasion you can get ghosting/trails, but even those got fixed with the latest dll. I’ve only encountered one bug in the last 3 month using dlss games.

I can't see any difference in the Necromunda video so I'd just put it on FSR to get those extra few frames. Impressive work by AMD and I'm not sure why there was so much negativity around it.

The bridge pics, sure DLSS has the advantage, but not all games use vistas like these. And FSR still compares admirably to native res.

I can't see any difference in the Necromunda video so I'd just put it on FSR to get those extra few frames. Impressive work by AMD and I'm not sure why there was so much negativity around it.

The bridge pics, sure DLSS has the advantage, but not all games use vistas like these. And FSR still compares admirably to native res.
The negativity comes mainly from DLSS being much better. If DLSS didn't exist, FSR would be a nice feature, but in comparison it's just very lackluster unfortunately.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Because of dark low contrast images in Necromunda. Also, YT compression butchers detail even further. The Avengers screenshots are direct captures tho.

JimboJones

I'm guessing necromunda has decent TAA ?
FSR will simply scale the image it's not an AA solution itself, it depends on whatever the engine or developer had already implemented.

This is crazy. Somebody needs to explain how DLSS works, how can it look better than native res?
DLSS is an AI reconstruction technique, it's machine "deep learning" with some really complex math involved, hence why it works best on hardware dedicated to AI tasks, i.e. Tensor cores. It's basically the equivalent of pummeling a self-adjusting image manipulation algorithm with sequences of high and low resolution images with motion data, until it can reliably convert one into the other.

The short explanation for why the quality is so high, is that the DLSS sparse network uses 16K resolution images for the learning process. Basically, at any detail level, it tries to recreate an image as if it were a 16K image, scaled down to whatever the render resolution is. It doesn't actually do that, but that's just what the output works out to. It's taught to make images at 16K, but if it's only asked to do 1080p it'll stop at 1080p, still with as much detail as it can reconstruct from the data it has, and as close to that 16K target as possible.

Armorian

Banned
It's even bitch slapping native rendering. :messenger_beaming:(y)

More like shit implementation of TAA, native shouldn't look like that. FSR looks shittier than it should because of that.

But yeah, amazing work from DLSS in avengers.

Last edited:
It's even bitch slapping native rendering. :messenger_beaming:(y)

Version 2.2.6 DLSS of Rainbow Six, IMO, was virtually perfect in every single way. Those ghosting and trails were completely gone from this version.

Around 3% loss in perf with DLSS for vastly superior image quality over FSR only makes DLSS look even more appealing. God damn.

What AMD needs is AI/ML-based upscaling/reconstruction technique, and they need it soon if they want to be on par with NVIDIA's DLSS.
Finally we can agree on something

Kuranghi

Its awesome how DLSS makes the hair look better than native, I wonder how native with TAA + sharpening would compare, does the Avengers engine have TAA/TAAU?

edit -
More like shit implementation of TAA, native shouldn't look like that. FSR looks shittier than it should because of that.

But yeah, amazing work from DLSS in avengers.

So that native shot is with TAA on definitely? If yes then I'd like to see the native + TAA image with sharpening, I would rarely use TAA without sharpening to reclaim the lost detail.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Its awesome how DLSS makes the hair look better than native, I wonder how native with TAA + sharpening would compare, does the Avengers engine have TAA/TAAU?

edit -

So that native shot is with TAA on definitely? If yes then I'd like to see the native + TAA image with sharpening, I would rarely use TAA without sharpening to reclaim the lost detail.

Those details can't be recovered, something in their TAA implementation kills them. DLSS works works without TAA so it has all that stuff:

Native + TAA

Marvels-Avengers-Screenshot-2021.07.18---00.17.13.62.png

DLSS Q

Marvels-Avengers-Screenshot-2021.07.18---00.16.25.12.png

Even the fence looks much better

Kuranghi

Those details can't be recovered, something in their TAA implementation kills them. DLSS works works without TAA so it has all that stuff:

Native + TAA

Marvels-Avengers-Screenshot-2021.07.18---00.17.13.62.png

DLSS Q

Marvels-Avengers-Screenshot-2021.07.18---00.16.25.12.png

Even the fence looks much better

Yeah, it has awful handling of transparencies, borderline pointless since thats where so much of the aliasing is going to be.

I think when they do sharpening + TAA properly its usually pre-sharpening to avoid sharpening the artifacts. I think thats how UE4 works but I'm not really sure.

//DEVIL//

I have a question ( i didnt watch the video yet )

but why they are showing the quality FSR setting and the ultra quality one ? AMD has 1 higher than just Quality.

Edit. just watched the first 3 minutes. he is using ultra quality. and I honestly cant tell the difference on my 2k monitor. maybe when zoomed in ?

Anyway I do not have doubt that DLSS is for now a better option. but honestly not by much. and seeing how community are modding their games to support FSR like GTA 5 and others, I would say if AMD can push to have FSR in the upcoming big games and improve it a little, they have a winner.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The short explanation for why the quality is so high, is that the DLSS sparse network uses 16K resolution images for the learning process. Basically, at any detail level, it tries to recreate an image as if it were a 16K image, scaled down to whatever the render resolution is.
Thank you! 🤝🙂

martino

I have a question ( i didnt watch the video yet )

but why they are showing the quality FSR setting and the ultra quality one ? AMD has 1 higher than just Quality.

Edit. just watched the first 3 minutes. he is using ultra quality. and I honestly cant tell the difference on my 2k monitor. maybe when zoomed in ?

Anyway I do not have doubt that DLSS is for now a better option. but honestly not by much. and seeing how community are modding their games to support FSR like GTA 5 and others, I would say AMD if can push to have FSR in the upcoming big games and improve it a little, they have a winner.
if i'm correct dlss quality base resolution is equivalent to quality settings of fsr (66% of target reoslution)

Rikkori

The reason DLSS resolves some details better than native is simply down to it being a different type of TAA, with + & -. On the + you resolve details like wires better, on the - you get more obvious ghosting. It's not "better" than native, it's just different and therefore it will deliver better results in some games, and for some elements, (Avengers) than others (RDR2). Since FSR simply tacks unto the already existing AA it will inherit the artefacts of the native image.

For people mentioning TAAU instead of FSR - joke's on you, you can have both, as they have done for Arcadegeddon on PS5.

Remember also, it's called FSR 1.0 for a reason. Expect to see significant improvements before the year's end.

ML upscaling has a future, but not with Nvidia, you can consider DLSS a zombie tech at this point.

If you know you know. ;)

Last edited:
The reason DLSS resolves some details better than native is simply down to it being a different type of TAA, with + & -. On the + you resolve details like wires better, on the - you get more obvious ghosting. It's not "better" than native, it's just different and therefore it will deliver better results in some games, and for some elements, (Avengers) than others (RDR2). Since FSR simply tacks unto the already existing AA it will inherit the artefacts of the native image.

For people mentioning TAAU instead of FSR - joke's on you, you can have both, as they have done for Arcadegeddon on PS5.

Remember also, it's called FSR 1.0 for a reason. Expect to see significant improvements before the year's end.

ML upscaling has a future, but not with Nvidia, you can consider DLSS a zombie tech at this point.

If you know you know. ;)

Ghosting has been solved on DLSS. It was only on there because the devs thought it was cool looking for some weird reason.

You are completely wrong why DLSS looks better than native. DLSS does machine learning from 16k output and that data is sent to retail versions. As time goes DLSS will look better an better as it learns more and more over time.

Rikkori

Ghosting has been solved on DLSS. It was only on there because the devs thought it was cool looking for some weird reason.

You are completely wrong why DLSS looks better than native. DLSS does machine learning from 16k output and that data is sent to retail versions. As time goes DLSS will look better an better as it learns more and more over time.
Ghosting can't be solved, it's the nature of the technology (and of all temporal AA solutions that will ever exist). If you don't understand that then you don't understand what the parameters of DLSS are. Go watch this a couple of times so you know:

Moreover, even if that weren't the case, because since DLSS 2.0 the ML model is a generalised one rather than trained for each game individually that means there's even less of a chance you'd have that magic combination of getting all the weights & heuristics right.

Ghosting can't be solved, it's the nature of the technology (and of all temporal AA solutions that will ever exist). If you don't understand that then you don't understand what the parameters of DLSS are. Go watch this a couple of times so you know:

Moreover, even if that weren't the case, because since DLSS 2.0 the ML model is a generalised one rather than trained for each game individually that means there's even less of a chance you'd have that magic combination of getting all the weights & heuristics right.

That is 2.0. Ghosting has been solved with 2.6 and upwards.

EDIT: Sorry 2.2 and upwards.

Last edited:
The model being generalized is why it can solve things like ghosting. Because ghosting is a repeating pattern that the AI can learn to recognize and eliminate during reconstruction, by recognizing particularly spaced clusters of pixels matching specific criteria for opacity and underlying motion data. Since it no longer tries to learn on each individual game, this kind of general problem that arises in very particular circumstances regardless of what game it's in, becomes eminently solvable.

Top Bottom