• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces frame generation for all DX11 and DX12 games

Kataploom

Gold Member
This really puts it into perspective. Thanks. I'm more excited about FSR 3 in that case.
It doesn't, RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 account for less than 2.5%... Most people don't buy higher end cards and those happen to be almost the only RDNA 3 cards until last months or so when the RX 7600 came out... a card that's competing with the RX 6600 XT which costs like 30% less.

The actual mid range is just about to release, AMD took forever for that.

FireFly

AFMF is the feature people are excited about. That's what is making the headlines ("every game frame generation"), yet less than 1% of PC users will be able to use it when it arrives next year.

FSR3 is a poor mans DLSS3.
FSR 3 is going to deliver superior image quality due to having access to the motion vector data. It's going to be far closer to DLSS 3 than AFMF will be.

Edit: Ah, I see you edited your post.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It doesn't, RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 account for less than 2.5%... Most people don't buy higher end cards and those happen to be almost the only RDNA 3 cards until last months or so when the RX 7600 came out... a card that's competing with the RX 6600 XT which costs like 30% less.

The actual mid range is just about to release, AMD took forever for that.
You've added more context. Doesn't change that his post put it into perspective. I thought it might've been 20% of Steam users or something before he said that.

dotnotbot

Damn, FSR artifacts are already very annoying in console versions of games like Jedi Survivor or Immortals, I'm afraid it's gonna get even worse if consoles start to use frame generation.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You've added more context. Doesn't change that his post put it into perspective. I thought it might've been 20% of Steam users or something before he said that.
Nah, Nvidia as a whole is like 70% or 80% but that includes older cards like 1060 or 1650, in general the highest volume of users have mid range cards, AMD has a grown user base due to RDNA 2 cards current prices but the actual RDNA 3 mid range cards are still not coming for another two weeks.

The 7600 came out lat months but it's generally viewed as a bad deal considering how good the prices are now for RDNA 2 cards.

draliko

some of you shill so hard it's hard to believe you're older than 10... must be really bad to always feel insecure about your purchases... how is a bad thing that amd is trying to regain ground and be competitive is way beyond me.. you should be happy we still not under a gpu monopoly, and not thanks to people that buy a 4060 to run RT...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, makes sense. These interpolation technologies are intended to boost already high framerates.

So it's really only good for games like Final Fantasy 16 in performance mode. That's not bad, but it's not terrific either. But still good none the less.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hope that arrives on consoles soon too. Might make a midgen upgrade not required.

I think this makes the mid-gen upgrade even MORE required. Think if any normal PS5 game gets pumped up to 60 fps on the PS5 Pro, just throw some FSR3 frame-gen at it and it's butter smooth at 60 fps with 4k image quality!!!

Catphish

I appreciate that, but, a couple of things:

1. Having read most of the thread, it seems rather obvious that there's very little proof to back up the claim that anything on that list was denied FSR as a result of an nvidia moneyhat.

2. None of the games on that list are anywhere near the level of sales that Starfield (and probably Pandora) will be. In fact, you could probably total the sales up for all of them, and it won't exceed Starfield's pull when all is said and done.

Fortunately, it seems to be a moot point. Hopefully. I just read this:

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
wgbarCP.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think this makes the mid-gen upgrade even MORE required. Think if any normal PS5 game gets pumped up to 60 fps on the PS5 Pro, just throw some FSR3 frame-gen at it and its butter smooth at 60 fps with 4k image quality!!!
With FSR3 I’m hoping something like rendering internally at 1080p-1440p 60 FPS and outputting at 4K 120 FPS. It could be a big game changer. Really looking forward to some detailed analysis once it’s available.

hinch7

This is bigger news than either mid Range Radeon GPU launches imo. I do think this is really good from a gamers POV being hardware agnostic and having the tech available across lots of hardware old and new. Though the real proof in the pudding is actual in game results and testings.

If it has crappy image quality (not that likely considering DF said it looked okay) or horrible latency then its not great. But still a massive boon for those who can't or don't want the buy the latest hardware to play some games. The driver level FG that's only for the 7000 series is really cool as well and if good enough; would be a win for Radeon. Being something exciting and new from them from their software side being proactive instead of just reactive to Nvidia.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
My concern is this having image quality on par with or not much better than the godawful FSR2; and it being used as standard on a lot of PS5 games. The only reconstruction I've ever liked is DLSS2.1+. Insomniacs Temporal Injection and some of the hardware-driven half-res checkerboarding solutions on PS Exclusives on PS4 Pro. Almost every other third party or FSR solution just breaks up leaving any moving elements looking like smeared, crispy, crunchy, grainy sludge. Particles, specular and high frequency detail especially... Assets and other elements have gotten better this gen but I genuinely believe that the temporal instability of so many subpar solutions has made image quality worse overall.

I appreciate they wanna open this tech up and make it accessible to more people using a compute/software-driven approach, but if the quality isn't there I really hope that RDNA4/5 forwards has some sort of AI-driven reconstruction component and hardware acceleration blocks for an optional premium version of FSR that can come close to the latter DLSS implementations.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Shit. So like running BG3 on steam deck would require Vulkan right? Unless you install windows on it?

I suppose, that AMD will eventually expand FSR3 support in their driver to include Vulkan.
There is also the option for devs to implement FSR3 directly into the game.
So if larian implements FSR3, it will work in DX12 and Vulkan alike.

Last edited:

Irobot82

I suppose, that AMD will eventually expand FSR3 support in their driver to include Vulkan.
I hope it's sooner rather than later. I just ordered a Deck as I'll be heavily travelling and living in hotels for the next 2 months. It was going to be my time to sink some major hours into it since I'm also in the middle of moving.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
FSR3 doesn't have Vulkan support...when Vulkan is the successor of Mantle, an API literally made by AMD? What kind of shit is that?

Hugare

I'm way more curious about input lag than image quality

Did AMD give us a date for the first game to be updated with it?

Gaf is insanely bipolar. nvidia does good thing: "omg nvidia so good thank you wow senpai" amd then also does good thing: 'omg fuck nvidia greedy frame gen possible on any gpu OMG!@!!!"

Jesus it’s like these 2 companies are playing you like children and we keep suffering with unoptimized trash games. FSR1 was absolute dog shit and shocker a lot of games still use it for some reason. FSR2 is half as good as dlss2 so if you're expecting some miracle from frame gen amd software, then good fucking luck lmao.

Most people here suffer from Stockholm syndrome for Nvidia. They love to be imprisoned by the baddie and make everything about their Nvidia.

Puscifer

Yeah, makes sense. These interpolation technologies are intended to boost already high framerates.
Herein is the problem, Nvidia reflex nullifies that. Path tracing in CP2077 wouldn't be possible without it and I quite enjoy it at a good framerate with my 4080 at 4K. I can't wait for Phantom Liberty

Solidus_T

I'm looking forward to seeing more details on this. I am not yet sold on frame generation due to the added input lag. If there are games where there is no option for upscaling without frame generation, I will find and replace the dll file the way I do with DLSS.

Esppiral

My concern is this having image quality on par with or not much better than the godawful FSR2; and it being used as standard on a lot of PS5 games. The only reconstruction I've ever liked is DLSS2.1+. Insomniacs Temporal Injection and some of the hardware-driven half-res checkerboarding solutions on PS Exclusives on PS4 Pro. Almost every other third party or FSR solution just breaks up leaving any moving elements looking like smeared, crispy, crunchy, grainy sludge. Particles, specular and high frequency detail especially... Assets and other elements have gotten better this gen but I genuinely believe that the temporal instability of so many subpar solutions has made image quality worse overall.

I appreciate they wanna open this tech up and make it accessible to more people using a compute/software-driven approach, but if the quality isn't there I really hope that RDNA4/5 forwards has some sort of AI-driven reconstruction component and hardware acceleration blocks for an optional premium version of FSR that can come close to the latter DLSS implementations.
Didn't they said it works on Dx11 and DX 12 exclusively? afaik Sony uses a proprietary graphics backend

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
2-3x framerate with FSR3 + frame gen? All in software?

What is the catch? Does it look horrible? Is there more latency than expected? Are their benchmark numbers just HEAVILY cherry-picked?

I need to know more.
Probably running on shaders, so its not exactly "software rendering" if you meant that

hlm666

Were there any details on if anti-lag+ doesn't do the stupid resolution reduction when turning like the current one does?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
AFMF is the feature people are excited about. That's what is making the headlines ("every game frame generation"), yet less than 1% of PC users will be able to use it when it arrives next year.

FSR3 is a poor mans DLSS3.

No matter what AMD does, the resident
Nvidia shill’s going to downplay it.

Why even comment? Stick to your Nvidia threads, as you want a Nvidia monopoly - and don’t act like you don’t.

Bojji

Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

So many pascal owners will come back to earth, there’s no frame gen for those cards. It’s dead Jim

Yep, DF also said that GPU cost of FSR3 is relatively high, so low end Turing and RDNA1 GPUs may not perform very well, same goes for consoles.

Buggy Loop

Yep, DF also said that GPU cost of FSR3 is relatively high, so low end Turing and RDNA1 GPUs may not perform very well, same goes for consoles.

So it comes back to Nvidia’s conclusions on optical flow performances with the public SDK. AMD might have found a way to be less computationally intensive than optical flow, but at what cost to image quality and latency? We’ll have to wait and see.

Turing and Ampere were way way slower than Ada. It comes to a point where you have to pull the plug or the experience will give the tech a bad name.

Top Bottom