• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is no longer calling Boba Fett's ship Slave I

dr_octagon

Banned
I'm not sure what Disney should/can do about that?

I'm just pointing out that today, the word 'slave' is strongly associated with the transatlantic slave trade, so it's really not a shock that Disney would change it.
Disney is associated with corporate greed, they should change their name to 'racist cartoon company, featuring mouse'

Disney could donate money, bring awareness, be transparent about their own practices, take the lead on tackling modern day slavery, set up a team to help people, lead the corporate change, support education for governments, refuse to work and support for companies who don't make effort to deal with it, make a public pledge, lobby others in industry including outside of media corporations, name and shame those who do not comply, set up a dedicated task force, establish a quality check and work with other companies, ask actors to talk about current issues, put messages in films and media, flag a percentage of profits going to support charities

but what do i know?
laser swords go brrrrr

Mistake

I'm not sure what Disney should/can do about that?

I'm just pointing out that today, the word 'slave' is strongly associated with the transatlantic slave trade, so it's really not a shock that Disney would change it.
Nah, slaves never happened now. That was an unpaid internship

Last edited:
Disney could donate money, bring awareness, be transparent about their own practices, take the lead on tackling modern day slavery, set up a team to help people, lead the corporate change, support education for governments, refuse to work and support for companies who don't make effort to deal with it, make a public pledge, lobby others in industry including outside of media corporations, name and shame those who do not comply, set up a dedicated task force, establish a quality check and work with other companies, ask actors to talk about current issues, put messages in films and media, flag a percentage of profits going to support charities

And then if they did any that, you all would still be calling them WOKE, SJWs, etc and then you'd CANCEL them.

dr_octagon

Banned
And then if they did any that, you all would still be calling them WOKE, SJWs, etc and then you'd CANCEL them.
why would i be against any company who actively seeks to address human traffickers and its impact?

actions speak far louder than words, i would respect those who are committed to making changes. changing a word is not the same.

GIF by moodman

Expected really.

Today, the word 'slave' brings up images of the transatlantic slave trade and the horrific treatment of African slaves in the US. It's little wonder Disney pulled the plug on it.

Using dolphins is silly, but oddly I like that overall idea. Would certainly cause less conflict. There was an anime I saw once where countries were renamed into numbered regions. That would also be pretty cool if it was real!

notsureifserious.jpg

epicnemesis

What would you like Disney to do about slavery? They're changing the name of a ship.
I would like them to not change the ships name in lip service to a complaint no one was making. I would like them to not apply earthly baggage to a galaxy far far away where from now on when I see slave 1 on screen I will be taken out of the movie and placed back into reality. It’s an immersion killer.

At least they’d be doing something real instead of vacuous, ridiculous bullshit like this. Disney put a thank you note to China in the credits of their movie. Specifically the part of China that runs ethic concentration camps. Maybe they should start doing something about that instead of with the name of Boba Fett’s pretend space ship.

Nah ima just keep calling it Slave 1......i recommend everyone do the same. In 5 years it will annoy a certain kind of person but the name will remain normalized.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
It wasn't even an issue, until they made it an issue, and now its an issue.....

Plus collectibles of slave 1 will go up in price now
Yes! What is going on in America where everything is becoming an issue and bothering (some) people? I’m seeing this from a European perspective

I remember recently the drama of a little country called “Monte Negro” and (some) Americans demanding the country’s name to be changed!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is pretty ignorant, as has been stated. Like...there's two kinds of people who would get triggered by the name of Boba Fett's ship: Twatter using woke ass sjw's who didn't even know what the ship was called but now it's the most important issue they've ever dedicated their lives to, or actual slaves. I'm willing to bet neither camp watches enough Star Wars to feel alienated.

It's like these titan companies think they need to tell us what to support, what to detest, and what to be offended by. Like the entire media consuming world is just so stupid that without a flashing neon "applause," sign above the stage we'd just devolve into shit throwing apes staring up at the sky mouth agape and drowning when it rains. I can't even tell if the chicken came first or the egg, anymore. Woke ass loons started this "hold media accountable," charade, but now the media is pandering to the point where it's virtue signaling these tiny little "issues," in an effort to stir up more unrest from people who don't even give a fuck, anyway. Yay internet.

This is pretty ignorant, as has been stated. Like...there's two kinds of people who would get triggered by the name of Boba Fett's ship: Twatter using woke ass sjw's who didn't even know what the ship was called but now it's the most important issue they've ever dedicated their lives to, or actual slaves. I'm willing to bet neither camp watches enough Star Wars to feel alienated.

It's like these titan companies think they need to tell us what to support, what to detest, and what to be offended by. Like the entire media consuming world is just so stupid that without a flashing neon "applause," sign above the stage we'd just devolve into shit throwing apes staring up at the sky mouth agape and drowning when it rains. I can't even tell if the chicken came first or the egg, anymore. Woke ass loons started this "hold media accountable," charade, but now the media is pandering to the point where it's virtue signaling these tiny little "issues," in an effort to stir up more unrest from people who don't even give a fuck, anyway. Yay internet.

Sorry I See GIF by Britannia on EPIX

PanzerAzel

I’m not even going to start on how unbelievably stupid it is to even think the word “Slave” is, by itself, offensive. Are they viewing it as an advocation of slavery? But what’s even worse is they can think of nothing better than “Boba Fett’s Spaceship“? Good thing Star Wars was already shit long before this happened with the release of the prequels, or I might’ve cared more. That ship will always be Slave 1.

I‘m sure ERA is just furiously beating the meat to this, while they continue to fellate Rian and Kennedy incessantly.

Porcile

What's the term Disney uses for all the people they use to make their merchandise tat in Bangladesh and Xinjiang or whatever?

Fox Mulder

this company is making content for China and the woke, of course they’d sanitize stuff like this.

Last edited:

Xenon

Nailed it!
To Appease China, Disney Changes Name Of Boba Fett's Ship From 'Slave I' To 'Uyghur Slave I'

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Who cares? I actually read the Jeter novels, and I'm not even sure Slave I gets referenced very often, even in the novel titled Slave Ship. It's a non-factor. I can't remember it being referred to by name even once in any of the theatrical releases, so changing the name has no impact on those. Referring to it as Fett's starship doesn't invalidate any of the lore either. It is his starship. It's called Slave I, but only a fraction of people know that. Kids who're watching the Mandalorian show probably don't know its real name. That's who the Lego sets are trying to target anyway.

If this gets you bent out of shape, then you're probably a snowflake. Slave I is one of those names that only appears in rarely seen publications, and mentioned by dweebs who get nothing but confused looks in return.

Who cares? I actually read the Jeter novels, and I'm not even sure Slave I gets referenced very often, even in the novel titled Slave Ship. It's a non-factor. I can't remember it being referred to by name even once in any of the theatrical releases, so changing the name has no impact on those. Referring to it as Fett's starship doesn't invalidate any of the lore either. It is his starship. It's called Slave I, but only a fraction of people know that. Kids who're watching the Mandalorian show probably don't know its real name. That's who the Lego sets are trying to target anyway.

If this gets you bent out of shape, then you're probably a snowflake. Slave I is one of those names that only appears in rarely seen publications, and mentioned by dweebs who get nothing but confused looks in return.
Hahaha. I love this. If you think changing the name is stupid, you’re a snowflake. Of course, if it was so inconsequential, then complaining about it to begin with seems like the nitpicking asshole behavior from professional whiners, now doesn’t it? No one is looking at this in a vacuum. They’re looking at it in the context of Disney’s obsession with this kind of empty garbage while the entire franchise is wilting and they’re leaving love notes to the Chinese government in the credits of their movies.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The name was literally NEVER said in the movies or tv shows. I'll still call it the Slave-1 ...

Just like I'll still call Uncle Ben's Rice
Or Aunt Jemima syrup

No one asked for these changes! We wanted police reform and actual justice, a living wage and other things... It's such a meme at this point.

dr_octagon

Banned
it's an abbreviation of Slavic Engine 1, Disney are racist against space Eastern Europe

The name was literally NEVER said in the movies or tv shows. I'll still call it the Slave-1 ...

Just like I'll still call Uncle Ben's Rice
Or Aunt Jemima syrup

No one asked for these changes! We wanted police reform and actual justice, a living wage and other things... It's such a meme at this point.
with great microwave power comes great rice-ponsibility

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's strange that American's seem to associate Slavery to one race, when every single race has been enslaved at some point 🤷‍♂️
Because we're talking about American chattel slavery... Not slavery all over the world. When you talk about your country's... Whatever... Do you mention how it has happened all over the world?

Americans are mostly concerned about America. French are mostly concerned about France. And so on...

The last chattel slaves were freed in the 1960s/1970s (look up Waterford Plantation ... They weren't the only one, btw)

ManaByte

Gold Member
The name was literally NEVER said in the movies or tv shows.

It was used in Clone Wars (there are screenshots above).

Also they've discovered that they went and edited the official Star Wars site to omit the name.

The official site used to have a page dedicated to "Slave 1". They've gone and edited the URL slug for the page to no longer say Slave 1 and now labeled as Boba Fett's Starfighter:
That’s not all. The official Star Wars site redirects visitors from https://starwars.com/databank/slave-i (heavily used from 2014 until April 2021) to https://starwars.com/databank/boba-fetts-starship (new as of April 2021 according to archive dot org). Note the URLs: “slave-i” to “boba-fetts-starship.”
Another update to this article on July 6: the new “Star Wars Ships and Vehicles” book released in Spain says “Boba Fett’s Starfighter” on the front. This highlights the second variant name they’re using – it’s not just “Starship.”

According to the Boba Fett Fan Club, they've been able to trace the change back to April when Topps changed the digital Slave 1 trading card to Boba Fett's Starship. It just became news with the LEGO interview recently when LEGO said Disney didn't want to use the name anymore.

BouncyFrag

The 20+ million people in slavery today are pretty fucked then.
In the credits of Disney’s new Mulan movie, the company offers a special thanks to four Chinese Communist Party propaganda departments and a public security bureau in the region of Xinjiang where more than a million Muslims, mostly of the Uyghur minority, have been imprisoned in concentration camps.
Disney is garbage.

Next Disney villain will use a flower for a sword.

*facepalm*

Yes, make the space slaver look better and less like a douche/slaver/villain. That is a positive thing, suuure. What could possibly be wrong with such a message.

*twofacepalm*

McCheese

ha, considering that git changed (default) branch name from master to main, i see this happening.

Github, owned by Microsoft.

Git still defaults to master despite attempts to rename it, Linus will probably cave in again sadly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom