• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is no longer calling Boba Fett's ship Slave I

Ulysses 31

Performance outrage YouTubers right now:
vince mcmahon wwe GIF
The stories write themselves thanks to dismal Disney. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Tschumi

It'll always be called slave 1, they just don't recognise it, since when did i give a fuck what Disney recognises? What's the Disney version of an ysalamiri?

Now the word slave is offensive? The ahistorical stupidity of our culture is insane. As though slaves weren’t a historical reality among all cultures and races for most of history. Slave isn’t a race specific term. Christ we are pathetic to surrender even little shit like this to literally the whiniest bitches in our society. Sometimes it’s not wrong to tell the “diversity and inclusion department” to fuck off. They’re literally paid whiners.

At any rate, Star Wars has been dead for some time, so this isn’t of any real consequence to me personally. It’s just more a commentary on where we are as a society.

Last edited:
I just want to know when we get to decide whether all these diversity and inclusion departments within companies are actually making things any better. Because right now, it seems like they ran out of real problems a long time ago and they now they need to create new problems just to justify their positions.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Wonder if they will come for Blakes 7 next. The creepy computer in the Scorpio was called Slave.

They still haven't released the series on DVD or BluRay in the US, so I doubt it matters. Great series though. The finale was one of the best I have ever seen (at least that's how I remember it.) --no spoilers

Is this not going to eventually lead to a major negative to the arts. Not being able to talk about, reference, or name things because in the real world it was bad or evokes negative emotion?
Like what if I wanted to do a WW2 story where some of the German characters were actually real people instead of evil cartoons? Is that allowed or do we have to pretend everyone who wasn’t an Ally wasn’t a human being? Could you even make a western today without it at least acknowledging the Native American displacement?

I’m not necessarily the most creative guy. But I’m trying to imagine what it must be like when you’re making a story and building a world when at the end, some asshole from the DEI department comes and tells you that you that calling that spaceship you made up “Slave 1” is racist. How do you make art in that kind of environment?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Is this not going to eventually lead to a major negative to the arts. Not being able to talk about, reference, or name things because in the real world it was bad or evokes negative emotion?
Dude Disney changed the name of a ship in a scifi series that is primarily aimed at a younger audience.

It's not the death of expression.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I only realized yesterday through my wife's "trash TV" shows(that what she calls it), that we no longer sleep in master bedrooms.

But Primary bedrooms.

This took me by surprise.
And yet, when you think about it in that context, which I'm sure is the context it was originally created for, it's a pretty wild eye-opener.

truth777

Banned
Every character will eventually be replaced with dolphins.
They will all wear neutral colors, because loud colors could be intimidating for some.
Letter names will be removed in favor of numbers to promote unity.

This shitshow will only get worse.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Expected really.

Today, the word 'slave' brings up images of the transatlantic slave trade and the horrific treatment of African slaves in the US. It's little wonder Disney pulled the plug on it.

They will all wear neutral colors, because loud colors could be intimidating for some.

Using dolphins is silly, but oddly I like that overall idea. Would certainly cause less conflict. There was an anime I saw once where countries were renamed into numbered regions. That would also be pretty cool if it was real!

Reactions: e&e

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

Still better than ep 9

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We don't call them Master bedrooms anymore? Really? Good lord talk about having it good. We are looking for shit to have a problem with. By we I mean not any sensible person. Young people.

CGiRanger

Banned
What sucks is none of this bullshit makes one bit of difference in the world to actual issues with "slavery" or whatever they feel, that this somehow makes the world a "better place"

I mean, just try to think through the logic of this. The people behind this literally believe that people seeing the words "Master" and "Slave" are therefore ok or agreeing to, or normalizing slavery, or something stupid like that. It's deranged insanity to the extreme, and it's being codified in our every walk of life, from the government to "DEI" Ministries of Truth in corporations.

Yet again, they'll turn a blind eye towards documented slavery all across the globe (especially in one particular country), because it's not the right skin color.

Last edited:

Mistake

We don't call them Master bedrooms anymore? Really? Good lord talk about having it good. We are looking for shit to have a problem with. By we I mean not any sensible person. Young people.
Looking for problems is an unhealthy mindset for sure. Some think it’s a joke, but I have found people irl who were for canceling aunt jemima. Life is going to surprise those with a stick up their ass, when someone else comes along and shoves it up further…

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They just can't pretend away things - it's actually disrespectful. For example, there is still slavery in the world. In parts of Peru and the Middle East there's de facto indentured servitude. The Chinese government enslaves their Muslim minority group. There is a thriving global sex slave trade. And more. Are these people no longer valid, is it not slavery, because the world "slave" upsets some tiny minority of the world?

Some words should probably never be used outside of some kind of historical or informative context because they now have no meaning beyond hatred. Like the n-word. I get that. But this is just silly.

Cyberpunkd

I just want to know when we get to decide whether all these diversity and inclusion departments within companies are actually making things any better. Because right now, it seems like they ran out of real problems a long time ago and they now they need to create new problems just to justify their positions.
As someone who has team members wanting to lead ‘inclusionary projects’ instead of doing the job they were hired for I can tell this - real problems still exist, people just decided they do not want to solve them anymore.

epicnemesis

Meanwhile in Libya…
Oh wait, we don’t care about actual black slavery, much like we don’t care about actual black lives.

(we being the woke mob)

Top Bottom