• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Says It’s Never Been Good at Video Games, Remains Happy With EA Work.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/disney-video-game-star-wars-ea-1203129606/

The Walt Disney Company has a “good relationship” with Electronic Arts and has no interest in returning to video games, something with which it was never able to “demonstrate much skill,” CEO Bob Iger said in an earnings call Tuesday.

“We’re good at making movies and television shows and theme parks and cruise ships and the like, we’ve just never managed to demonstrate much skill on the publishing side of games,” Iger said in response to a question about Disney’s potential future involvement in video game development.

Iger seemed either unaware of some of the drama surrounding EA’s recent handling of the Star Wars brand or unconcerned when an analyst asked him for his thoughts on where video games fit into Disney’s business moving forward.

“We’re obviously mindful of the size of that business,” Iger said. “Over the years, as you know, we’ve tried our hand at self-publishing, we’ve bought companies, we’ve sold companies, we’ve bought developers, we’ve closed developers. And we’ve found over the years that we haven’t been particularly good at the self-publishing side, but we’ve been great at the licensing side which obviously doesn’t require that much allocation of capital.

“Since we’re allocating capital in other directions … we’ve just decided that the best place for us to be in that space is licensing and not publishing. We’ve had good relationships with some of those we’re licensing to, notably EA and the relationship on the Star Wars properties, and we’re probably going to stay on that side of the business and put our capital elsewhere.”

Tarkus98

Ugh.
How can they not see how poorly EA is representing their Star Wars license? Maybe this is why they were also bad at publishing and game development because they simply cannot see the forest from the trees.
Either that or it’s just easy money for them and no damage is actually being done to the movies on this front so they simply don’t care.
At any rate, doesn’t appear that the Star Wars license will be going to any competent developer/publisher any time soon. So yeah, ugh.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Ugh.
How can they not see how poorly EA is representing their Star Wars license? Maybe this is why they were also bad at publishing and game development because they simply cannot see the forest from the trees.
Either that or it’s just easy money for them and no damage is actually being done to the movies on this front so they simply don’t care.
At any rate, doesn’t appear that the Star Wars license will be going to any competent developer/publisher any time soon. So yeah, ugh.

They see the money Galaxy of Heroes is pulling in and realize consoles mean very little in the gaming business.

All the people yelling and bitching at them on Twitter mean nothing compared to the real money they make on iOS.

That is a straight fact that most of the gaming community doesn’t want to hear.

Show me how they could get that same return on investment from the console crowd.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

I get their reluctance to move development in house, but they can do a lot better than passively handing off all things Star Wars to EA.

Kagey K

Banned
I liked Disney Infinity a lot, but Disney killed the line right when it was starting to get good.
No, it sold dreadfully and the figues sold worse. I’m actually surprised they got to S3 and my kids loved it.

I wish it continued, same with Lego Dimensions.

Kagey K

Banned
I get their reluctance to move development in house, but they can do a lot better than passively handing off all things Star Wars to EA.

How is anyone going to make them more then Galaxy of Heroes already is?

Spider-Man, one of Sony’s biggest exclusives this gen, made them less then Galaxy of Heroes.

As important as you think consoles are, mobile is where the money is,I think a lot of people lose sight of that.

There is not one console game, that made more money then the top 3 mobile games this year, by a long shot. I could probably say the highest grossing console game wouldn’t have made the top 10 on iOS for dollars spent.

Is that good or bad? That’s up to us,the players.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

They see the money Galaxy of Heroes is pulling in and realize consoles mean very little in the gaming business.

All the people yelling and bitching at them on Twitter mean nothing compared to the real money they make on iOS.

That is a straight fact that most of the gaming community doesn’t want to hear.

Show me how they could get that same return on investment from the console crowd.
Yeah, I was afraid it was something like this. So really it’s just all about the Benjamin’s which truly that is what companies are in business for, to make money.
Regardless this license could (and should) be handled much better with the proper developers and publishers and nothing will make me think otherwise. EA is just not doing a good job with the Star Wars license, plain and simple.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, I was afraid it was something like this. So really it’s just all about the Benjamin’s which truly that is what companies are in business for, to make money.
Regardless this license could (and should) be handled much better with the proper developers and publishers and nothing will make me think otherwise. EA is just not doing a good job with the Star Wars license, plain and simple.

As a curiousity? What should companies be in for?

I find this to be a very interesting statement, and I hope you do some research before you answer me.

Do you think Sony or Nintendo are your friend? Do you think they wAnt to love and marry you!

Are you safe and secure with them?

Or are they there to get your money?

Last edited:
idgaf about SW or its games. I just hope they let other smaller devs and publishers use their other ips. I want more mickey mouse properties games and more cartoon games. I will take re-releases of their 90s games

Tarkus98

As a curiousity? What should companies be in for?

I find this to be a very interesting statement, and I hope you do some research before you answer me.

Do you think Sony or Nintendo are your friend? Do you think they wAnt to love and marry you!

Are you safe and secure with them?

Or are they there to get your money?
What are you talking about?

No, it sold dreadfully and the figues sold worse. I’m actually surprised they got to S3 and my kids loved it.
I mean, the game was far, far from perfect, but it could've been really good with a tighter direction. Heck, they could've dropped the figurines altogether and just had unlockable characters. But my kids and I had a lot of fun in the toy box and playing the various game worlds together and I feel like there was just a lot of potential for a truly great game there - and I think that after they tried and failed to do a fighting game, racing game, tower defense game, diablo game, platform game, and whatever else, they would've eventually landed on doing more of the good stuff.

I wish it continued, same with Lego Dimensions.
LEGO Dimensions is a game where I was initially excited. You mean I get little sandbox levels based on Gremlins, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, and Knight Rider? Awesome! But all the levels were half assed and virtually identical. It turns out that LEGO games can't support 150 hours of play time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The fuck? Disney games made for the Genesis and Super Nintendo were excellent games.

Kagey K

Banned
I mean, the game was far, far from perfect, but it could've been really good with a tighter direction. Heck, they could've dropped the figurines altogether and just had unlockable characters. But my kids and I had a lot of fun in the toy box and playing the various game worlds together and I feel like there was just a lot of potential for a truly great game there - and I think that after they tried and failed to do a fighting game, racing game, tower defense game, diablo game, platform game, and whatever else, they would've eventually landed on doing more of the good stuff.

LEGO Dimensions is a game where I was initially excited. You mean I get little sandbox levels based on Gremlins, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, and Knight Rider? Awesome! But all the levels were half assed and virtually identical. It turns out that LEGO games can't support 150 hours of play time.

I really like both the games also I was very dissapointed they dropped the last line. I’m not saying they were bad. I’m saying they didn’t make money, so they got cut.

Disney has never been particularly good at DISNEY games and is better at licensing them out - that much is true.
LucasArts, on the other hand, was an unfortunate casualty that was still putting out stuff that the fans enjoyed at the time the Disney/Lucas deal went down. Yet another reason why that deal was terrible for Star Wars fans.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Yeah and what’s wrong with that? Of course companies are in it for the money that is what I wrote. how you made the leap to the rest is where I get confused.
I am under no preconceived notions here. Companies are in it for the benjamins of course. Do I think they are my friend? Lol, where would you even get that? Of course not nor do I care.
I would however like a company to properly handle the Star Wars license- and then hey, they would even get some of my Benjamin’s.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah and what’s wrong with that? Of course companies are in it for the money that is what I wrote. how you made the leap to the rest is where I get confused.
I am under no preconceived notions here. Companies are in it for the benjamins of course. Do I think they are my friend? Lol, where would you even get that? Of course not nor do I care.
I would however like a company to properly handle the Star Wars license- and then hey, they would even get some of my Benjamin’s.

It was probably the part where you pondered that they were people and be interested in making better games instead of money.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

It was probably the part where you pondered that they were people and be interested in making better games instead of money.
Ah, gotcha. Nah, just throwing a question out there trying to give the benefit of the doubt or offer another angle that’s all.

Kagey K

Banned
Ah, gotcha. Nah, just throwing a question out there trying to give the benefit of the doubt or offer another angle that’s all.
There is no other angle for any company though. It’s all investor cash back and profit margins.

In a different timeline, maybe we could see all the great games get made, but we live in this one.

lukilladog

That feeling when you start to think that one of your favorite franchises could be better on the hands of amateurs.

Kagey K

Banned
That feeling when you start to think that one of your favorite franchises could be better on the hands of amateurs.
The game might be better, but the money won’t be.

That feeling when you think Sony or MS or Nintendo or Apple are your friends.

Orenji Neko

The fuck? Disney games made for the Genesis and Super Nintendo were excellent games.

They chose better companies like Sega, Capcom, etc, to make them back then. In retrospect, I wonder if that was an informed decision or a happy accident. Then again, I suppose there is always the possibility that the developers approached Disney and got the rights.

I seem to recall that Disney animators worked with Sega and Virgin in some capacity for the Aladdin game for the Genesis.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They chose better companies like Sega, Capcom, etc, to make them back then. In retrospect, I wonder if that was an informed decision or a happy accident. Then again, I suppose there is always the possibility that the developers approached Disney and got the rights.

I seem to recall that Disney animators worked with Sega and Virgin in some capacity for the Aladdin game for the Genesis.
I think it was Virgin not Sega that made the games and yes the Sega versions had more soul.

Disney Says It’s Never Been Good at Video Games, Remains Happy With EA Work.

Disney also think their Star Wars movies are good soooo....

lukilladog

The game might be better, but the money won’t be.

That feeling when you think Sony or MS or Nintendo or Apple are your friends.

I want the franchise off the hands of both EA and Disney :p Apple I don´t know but those other three would start to make exclusives, so I would give it to CDProject and a few others so we can get variety of genres again.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Yeah I also somehow missed BagofFeralCats posting. Reading on a smartphone is a blessing and a curse

ruvikx

Banned
Ugh.
How can they not see how poorly EA is representing their Star Wars license?

Disney greenlit The Last Jedi's script (including curmudgeon Luke drinking green boob milk, a slow speed space chase, a mary sue & a tone befitting Spaceballs, not Star Wars). They have zero credibility with regards to actual Star Wars quality. The only joke regarding EA is the fact they've hardly released any Star Wars games at all & have basically just sat on the name & let it rot... with a couple of failed projects as well (namely Visceral's).

So there's basically no EA Star Wars "work" for Disney to be happy with. It's just the usual corporate speak to appease shareholders/investors etc. but in this instance, slightly more surreal because it's so detached from reality.

petran79

Banned
Because they were mostly done by other companys like Capcom or Virgin.

Also back then Disney had some serious competition in 2d animated movies and their video game adaptations, so their games had to be good

Eg Fievel was developed by Hudson and had very good reviews too
147496-an-american-tail-fievel-goes-west-snes-front-cover.jpg

What do people have against Battlefront II? Real question, I honestly don't get why it is so reviled. 12-year old me would have killed to have this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What do people have against Battlefront II? Real question, I honestly don't get why it is so reviled. 12-year old me would have killed to have this.
it's a fun game. most people who are pissing on it are just going on what they've heard from launch and probably have never even played it. it was an awful launch but the game has improved significantly.

let them hate...i'm having fun with it :) enjoyed the first one too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Their loss if they want to leave that much money on the table, untapped. Spiderman is a sign that some people know what's up. EA is shit though, much like the rest of Star Wars in its entirety.

Video games doesn't need Disney. If they want to make something compelling, people will give it a shot. But really, we have plenty to play without them if they don't give a fuck.

I have lots of respect for Disney, just for the fact that as a centuries old company they've somewhat learned lessons other companies have not.

And then video games and male objectification in Marvel...

Especially video games, how can they be so disconnected unless they're eventually planning what I think they're planning...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Two possibilities here:

1) Bob Iger isn't really concerned with the details around something as relatively small in the big picture of Disney as Star Wars games as long as an acceptable amount of revenue is coming in from them. Maybe the licensing fees are so big they just don't care as long as EA's checks cash.

2) He's fucking furious at EA's bumbling but keeps the criticism in house since the whole Star Wars division is under intense criticism for screwing things up in general. Plus EA's stock is already in the tank and this isn't the time to publicly put the knife in the back of a partner.

Ugh.
Money is the only tangible measure of success for companies like these. They probably don't know much about the industry, but if money keeps pouring in, they must be doing something right, I think is their attitude.

lock2k

Banned

These games are all time classics. Love them.

This situation with Star Wars games is, unfortunately, one where only the fans and game players loose. In the deal with EA, Disney still gets licensing fees and royalties from games that, despite consumer complaints, continue to sell multi-millions of copies. As long as Disney remains disinclined towards making games in-house, the only reason they'd likely leave EA is a significant drop in sales; and if they're still keen on maintaining an exclusivity contract, then we'd probably only be looking at them shifting the license to Activision Blizzard.

The creation of fan and critically acclaimed Star Wars titles would require Disney deciding to actively manage the video game rights, which probably isn't as safe nor potentially as profitable as the current situation.

Last edited:

FranXico

[...]we’ve just never managed to demonstrate much skill on the publishing side of game
Clearly.
If you knew the first thing about video games, you would have never handed the license to EA.

Last edited:

Fbh

Real quote taking out all the PR bullshit:
"We suck at Star Wars so we are ok with our videogames partner sucking at it too"

Top Bottom