• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Draugoth

Gold Member
Temporal upsampling saves the day.

Monolith Soft delivers once again with another brilliant open world role-playing game. This developer has a history of pushing resource-constrained consoles hard, stretching all the way back to the original Wii - so what has Monolith offered up for what is likely its last game for the current generation Switch? And bearing in mind that the studio also contributes to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is any of the tech seen here potentially applicable to the BOTW sequel?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

th4tguy

What are the woes and caveats
Average internal resolution docked is 540p (still dynamic). They are still using an upscaling technique but it's much better than in XBC2. Results in a much better IQ in both docked and portable.
Performance is pretty stable at 30fps with proper frame pacing and only minor drops here and there.
I didn't catch what the resolution is in handheld but I remember them saying it was much better than XBC2.

Reallink

XBC2 docked had the worst image quality in a "AAA" game since OG Alan Wake on Xbox 360. Literal Vaseline simulator. Strong doubts they've managed to make 540p look any better than terrible on 75" 4K displays. I know DF loves their blurry ass games and giving Switch a handicap in their evaluations,

Last edited:

Poppyseed

XBC2 docked had the worst image quality in a "AAA" game since OG Alan Wake on Xbox 360. Literal Vaseline simulator.
Yep it was pretty bad. I had to play handheld because it was too painful docked. It makes me wonder if XBC2 could be patched to make it more livable for newcomers now that 3 is making the news.

th4tguy

Yep it was pretty bad. I had to play handheld because it was too painful docked. It makes me wonder if XBC2 could be patched to make it more livable for newcomers now that 3 is making the news.
Could be? Probably, but it never will. Best we can hope for is a new switch coming out which will allow the dynamic res to max out always.

Valt7786

I'd really love to see what these guys could do with actual good hardware. They're already wizards at making a presentable huge RPG on the trash inside the switch, imagine Xenoblade trilogy (Or a new xeno-series of course) remade/mastered for proper consoles and PC.

Every time Nintendo gets new game people cry over why it on Nintendo, it never ends.
Been this way for years. Bay 3 is going to be amazing but no doubt you'll see plenty of jerks chiming in with their "wish it was on PS5" bs. Posers, posers I tell ya.

Don't get me wrong, yeah 540p is gross and we need switch 2 but if I wanted to play this game I would still be excited. Yoshi crafted world is similarly low res but I love that game on switch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Been this way for years. Bay 3 is going to be amazing but no doubt you'll see plenty of jerks chiming in with their "wish it was on PS5" bs. Posers, posers I tell ya.
The thing is every time you see Switch games selling well people say shit like "Nintendo players only buying the game because they are desperate" and when Switch games get good reviews they complain about why its Switch exclusive.

It makes zero sense to me.

JimboJones

The thing is every time you see Switch games selling well people say shit like "Nintendo players only buying the game because they are desperate" and when Switch games get good reviews they complain about why its Switch exclusive.

Just ignore them, just sour grapes on their part.
Plus if they really want, Switch emulation seems pretty viable these days if your not bothered with portability.

They don't care about the actual games bro.

I don't personally care about Xenoblade (though I'm going to set some time aside to play X on Wii U one day) but I'm happy you guys are getting serviced.

Don't get me wrong, yeah 540p is gross and we need switch 2 but if I wanted to play this game I would still be excited. Yoshi crafted world is similarly low res but I love that game on switch.
Heee no thanks you! Stop dreaming, a lot of us don't care at all about Nintendo...

Didn't know I was temporal upscaling. It looks pretty good, and they use other tricks to improve performance.

During cutscenes the characters are rendered in a resolution but the background, the scenery sometimes is at a different resolution.

There are less effects on the landscape, they use more bitmaps for animating wildlife at a distance, stuff like that.

So far it seems much more stable than xc2.

Top Bottom