• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah not for me, it's just looks shiny shit instead of simple shit.

what's the point of showing a technology who's only purpose is to augment realism in games with a game that is absolutely not realistic or even good to watch or with a great art design?

minecraft is ugly as fuck and raytraced minecraft is not that different or more impressive in any way...it's just look like an exercise in futility just to have something to show...

but that's just my opinion.
it sure is boy

Skyr

IA is still in the ends of devs, if they don't wanna waste time in advanced ia, a powerfull cpu is basically useless.
and we all know that ia don't sell many copies...
Ye of course this will continue to be the case for most devs.
I just hope that someone with the appropriate resource and drive to innovate will take advantage of it. I'm thinking Rockstar games and GTA 6.

Last edited:

BatSu

d0Wew1i.gif

ObedientUnhealthyAiredale-size_restricted.gif

Stuart360

Yes the upside to it of course is that are upfront, but it's still a problem I forsee when devs get ambitious and start using more VRAM...….We tend to forget that these consoles are no longer 1080P machines, they will be pushing 4K and 8K......Also pushing high textures whilst pushing high rez is a Vram fiend.....Just check how many times current RTX cards need to lower texture resolution to get better framerates and less stuttering....

These consoles are not only going to push high resolutions, but Raytracing as well...….The demands are much higher, it's when lots of high speed Vram is needed most....
If you havent watched the DF vid yet (and i guess you havent), they talk about how they need much less ram space for textures now, and they explain why.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ye of course this will continue to be the case for most devs.
I just hope that someone with the appropriate resource and drive to innovate will take advantage of it. I'm thinking Rockstar games and GTA 6.
ia in rockstar games are kinda hit and miss, some egregious things for npc (not consistent tho) and very basic shitty ia for enemies.
but they are a rare case where i think that shitty cpus of this current gen were the culprit, they clearly want to do a better ia for their games.

realistic ia is probably the most difficult and time consuming thing ever to make in videogames.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im clearly missing a lot of information, but I can accept that the Series X and PS5 will not be able to run games off of an external HDD. Completely OK with that, but I refuse to accept that we can't download and temporarily store them on one and then transfer the games over to the SSD when ready to play.

Maybe I misinterpreted his Tweet. Sounds like you can use it as storage and transfer to SSDs.

I thought it sounded like you can play XBox or older games off the external HDD, but only dedicated SeX games are SSD. But sounds like all games must be SSD'ed???

Or non-dedicated SeX games can be played off a boring external HDD?

Last edited:
Most exciting piece of information? There's so much, but this one here is something I did not expect. ;)

""Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. "

Stuart360

Maybe I misinterpreted his Tweet. Sounds like you can use it as storage and transfer to SSDs.

I thought it sounded like you can play XBox or older games off the external HDD, but only dedicated SeX games are SSD. But sounds like all games must be SSD'ed???

In the vid they say you can run XB1 and older games off a normal harddrive, but you need the SSD for XSX games.

Flick

Banned

monkey Series X Games Need ssd. can use HDD for backup and move to ssd if needed

OG Xbox, one and 360 can be played off the HDD directly. No need for ssd

Skyr

ia in rockstar games are kinda hit and miss, some egregious things for npc (not consistent tho) and very basic shitty ia for enemies.
but they are a rare case where i think that shitty cpus of this current gen were the culprit, they clearly want to do a better ia for their games.
It's still one of the most cpu hungry games on PC today. It's a miracle that it even ran on 360/PS3.

GymWolf

Yes the upside to it of course is that are upfront, but it's still a problem I forsee when devs get ambitious and start using more VRAM...….We tend to forget that these consoles are no longer 1080P machines, they will be pushing 4K and 8K......Also pushing high textures whilst pushing high rez is a Vram fiend.....Just check how many times current RTX cards need to lower texture resolution to get better framerates and less stuttering....

These consoles are not only going to push high resolutions, but Raytracing as well...….The demands are much higher, it's when lots of high speed Vram is needed most....
tbh the best gains i have with my 2070s is when i tone down shadows, reflections, lights etc, texture have usually a very small gain between ultra and very high, maybe i was just lucky on playing games with little gains from textures...

psorcerer

Banned

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer.

I hope that journalists fucked it up.
Otherwise PCMR folks: get ready for buying a 128GB RAM PC.

HeadsUp7Up

Never thought I’d see the day where I wholeheartedly prefer the Xbox over PlayStation but here I am. Ever since the One X they have really been impressing me and continue to do so. That being said I still plan on getting a PS5 one day but now I’m 100% waiting until the first hardware revision and getting the Series X when it launches.*

*I reserve the right to directly contradict this post once the PS5 is fully revealed.

GymWolf

It's still one of the most cpu hungry games on PC today. It's a miracle that it even ran on 360/PS3.
i was more talking about rdr2, but yeah same thing for gta5.

i think having the euphoria engine for every pg on screen is pretty heavy on the cpu, but it's what differentiate their animations and pg interactions from the other games.
also look at the mud simulation in rdr2, it's crazy good and heavy.

Last edited:

Stuart360

tbh the best gains i have with my 2070s is when i tone down shadows, reflections, lights etc, texture have usually a very small gain between ultra and very high, maybe i was just lucky on playing games with little gains from textures...
As long as you have enough vram, turning down textures gives very little gain. It always surprises me when you see streamers with high end PC's and they turn down textures.

GymWolf

As long as you have enough vram, turning down textures gives very little gain. It always surprises me when you see streamers with high end PC's and they turn down textures.
i'm just lucky that i dont give a fuck about shadows and lightning so i can tone down this stuff without a single regret to gain some frames😆

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sony needs to start making some noise soon, or I'll be pre-ordering my Series X before I even know what a PS5 looks like.
I think Sony will be ok......

Funny I've seen so many mentions of Sony, just enjoy the reveal and discuss the plusses or negatives of the XBOX design......I always said the difference between the consoles will not be all the TF count we are so enamored with these days, but what rounds the consoles.....Like advanced ports and features,
custom engineering (memory speeds, side bus speeds, MEM/GPU/CPU connects) and general info surrounding the underlying tech.....Load speeds, how the SSD's will be used, how custom and improved will the RT tech be from one console to the other, how improved the sound and media chip will be from one console to the other......In essence, the console with less bottlenecks and less compromises will be seen as better designed...…..It comes down to custom engineering in the end and the rationale behind the custom work...…..Now, that's what moves me instead of just a TF number...

GymWolf

Yeah textures have by far the biggest impact on graphics quality imo. I could live with losing a lot of effects, but you need them high rez textures lol.
yep, like an old chinese guru said many centuries ago:
you can use pixar tier lights on a shitty texture, it's gonna remain a shitty texture no matter what, but a good texture remains good even with silent hill torchlight tier lights, or something similar 😆

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i'm just lucky that i dont give a fuck about shadows and lightning so i can tone down this stuff without a single regret to gain some frames😆
Here's hoping us console peasants get widespread graphic options for next gen. We get it for some games. And it's only 2-3 canned options. I'm fine with only a few options. Just make it for every game.

I hope all this hair and RT shit doesn't go haywire sapping all console power. I know all the graphic artists want to show off dandruff and how a bottlecap in a dark alley can reflect moonlight, but let's be reasonable here.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Still gonna be the same games just at higher res and frame-rate, so I cannot get that excited about the upcoming gen anyway.

Seriously, I think we hit the point of diminishing returns graphically this gen. Stuff like RDR2 set the bar so high and yet the "wow" factor was fairly muted.

The improvements to loading times, frame-rate and all-round usability will be cool but i still believe we really need something new and fresh, and exciting game-wise to really make the most of what this new tech is capable of.

Allandor

I don't think VRAM will be a problem with this gen. The "slow" memory-pool is not that much slower, it is still quite fast. And there is still the "SSD"-memory that is way faster than last gens HDD. So less ahead-streaming is needed. Therefor it should be no longer needed to package everything into chunks where every packets contain data that other packets contain. Therefor less cpu time and memory is also needed because the packaged must not get uncompressed in memory, each file can be compressed just to save bandwidth. This should mean that there should be no longer big chunks of memory used, just for files that will never be used.

GymWolf

Most exciting piece of information? There's so much, but this one here is something I did not expect. ;)

""Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. "
what does it mean in leyman terms?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One think why I think that it's not going to be cheap, is that cooling/metal shielding, that alone look really expensive, just from materials alone.

Basically all SSDs today in PC are limited how fast data from storage is processed and that's CPU bound. This take this (time) limitation and also CPU limitation out of the window. You probably know, that loading is simply not trasfering data from storage to RAM, in middle of that is CPU crunching data, decompressing, etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Here's hoping us console peasants get widespread graphic options for next gen. We get it for some games. And it's only 2-3 canned options. I'm fine with only a few options. Just make it for every game.

I hope all this hair and RT shit doesn't go haywire sapping all console power. I know all the graphic artists want to show off dandruff and how a bottlecap in a dark alley can reflect moonlight, but let's be reasonable here.
i like you.

Stuart360

Can you imagine if all games shipped with a 4k/30 mode, a 1440p/60 mode with ;'full graphics', and a 4k/60 mode with reduced graphics.
It would be pretty sweet.

I think Sony will be ok......

Funny I've seen so many mentions of Sony, just enjoy the reveal and discuss the plusses or negatives of the XBOX design......I always said the difference between the consoles will not be all the TF count we are so enamored with these days, but what rounds the consoles.....Like advanced ports and features,
custom engineering (memory speeds, side bus speeds, MEM/GPU/CPU connects) and general info surrounding the underlying tech.....Load speeds, how the SSD's will be used, how custom and improved will the RT tech be from one console to the other, how improved the sound and media chip will be from one console to the other......In essence, the console with less bottlenecks and less compromises will be seen as better designed...…..It comes down to custom engineering in the end and the rationale behind the custom work...…..Now, that's what moves me instead of just a TF number...

I believe Sony needs to answer the bell sooner than later. MS is in the process of rounding the bases after a home run right now. Sony’s silence gets “louder” by the day, especially after today.

The clock is ticking.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can you imagine if all games shipped with a 4k/30 mode, a 1440p/60 mode with ;'full graphics', and a 4k/60 mode with reduced graphics.
It would be pretty sweet.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'd take one of the 60fps modes.

Maybe 4k high with 30 fps for a Skyrim or turn based game, but everything else 60 fps.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Still gonna be the same games just at higher res and frame-rate, so I cannot get that excited about the upcoming gen anyway.

Seriously, I think we hit the point of diminishing returns graphically this gen. Stuff like RDR2 set the bar so high and yet the "wow" factor was fairly muted.

The improvements to loading times, frame-rate and all-round usability will be cool but i still believe we really need something new and fresh, and exciting game-wise to really make the most of what this new tech is capable of.
we are not near to ff15 cg movie quality (so light years away from star wars movie level of cg) and you think people are not gonna be woowed by next gen? think again...

just the jump in physics with actual good modern cpu is gonna be glorious to admire.

remember that rdr2 was created around an ultra shitty old ass notebook cpu and a 1.3 tf gpu...
gta6 is gonna blow minds and dicks.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Hmmm.... this is so hype. I think I will postpone my monster PC rig for a couple of years and go PS5/Switch/XsX.

MS is doing a fantastic job with the XsX. My only minor gripe I have is the 16 GB of RAM but I’m sure it won’t be that much of an issue for devs. That and and having something in common with the xbox discord shitheads. (Ugh)

Last edited:
But we won't know what 1825mhz means without any comparison.
1000mhz on amd is different than 1000mhz on nvidia... it's different per every architecture. it means nothing, Only 3800mhz cpu for zen2 means something but we don't know if it's core or boost

look the video you troll

no boost!
cpu
gpu
ssd
frequency/clocks/speeds
are
core = carved in stone

he tells it 3 times for the really stupid.... but it was not enough

It means that performance or work that would typically be done by the CPU, or that might otherwise limit performance of their SSD or their streaming of assets in games is not an issue because they basically built in the important function of decompression of game assets into a dedicated, high speed piece of hardware that performs at 6GB/s. Very smart and a good move. It likely also allowed them to go cheaper on their SSD price wise is my guess. More CPU power freed up, less work for the CPU to do in general, a huge assist for their SSD.

All around way better for games.

Top Bottom