• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 Xbox Series X Trailer Analysis

thelastword

Banned
Is Hellblade really next gen ? What do we know so far under scrutiny?

Resolution 3840 x 1608 @ 24fps

No raytracing detected

Looks prerendered because of no visible LOD transitions and perfect IQ

Lots of the effects could be prebaked, like some of the reflections with some of the torches serving as point lights.

It's easier to fake things in a cutscene, for example, the volcano smoke effects, could easily be all baked, shadows etc.....due to how limited the angles were in the trailer, that and many other scenes...

-----------------------------------------------------

It's what I observed and was saying in the other thread basically, there is too little in this video to tell us anything about a game running in realtime, too much obscurity and limits relative to what you see in a game, this is not how you present a game with confidence. Most of the time it's just Senua with her face projected and her surroundings pitch black and covered in a black fog.....

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Is Hellblade really next gen ? What do we know so far under scrutiny?

Resolution 3840 x 1608 @ 24fps

No raytracing detected

Looks prerendered because of no visible LOD transitions and perfect IQ

Lots of the effects could be prebaked, like some of the reflections with some of the torches serving as point lights.

It's easier to fake things in a cutscene, for example, the volcano smoke effects, could easily be all baked, shadows etc.....due to how limited the angles were in the trailer, that and many other scenes...

-----------------------------------------------------

It's what I observed and was saying in the other thread basically, there is too little in this video to tell us anything about a game running in realtime, too much obscurity and limits relative to what you see in a game, this is not how you present a game with confidence. Most of the time it's just Senua with her face projected and her surroundings pitch black and covered in a black fog.....

How ironic. People claiming this was the real deal and Godfall looked like shit, when that little gameplay we got showed actual ray tracing (even the guys at DF noticed). This looks great but it's not realtime apparently.

ethomaz

Banned
Well in the TGS thread I said it was not that people were buzzing about and in terms of rendering as next-gen God Fall was better... people replied the surface was too shine in God Fall due ray-tracing lol

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Well in the TGS thread I said it was not that people were buzzing about and in terms of rendering as next-gen God Fall was better... people replied the surface was too shine in God Fall die ray-tracing lol
I think with RT it's gonna have to take a few years to make it looks actually good.

Just like when the 360 and PS3 dropped and everything was all Vaseline and shiny lol

Imtjnotu

Well in the TGS thread I said it was not that people were buzzing about and in terms of rendering as next-gen God Fall was better... people replied the surface was too shine in God Fall die ray-tracing lol
I think with RT it's gonna have to take a few years to make it looks actually good.

Just like when the 360 and PS3 dropped and everything was all Vaseline and shiny lol

nikolino840

Mmmh...i think the light version of rtx that Will be on consoles are Better then rtx maxed out on PC, becouse seems so Unreal..i Remember videos of Control even the Blood seems a mirror...a light version could make the image more realistic

Yeah It's not going to look like that, but I'm glad they showed something from the character model proving it was graphics at all, even though I still didn't see it. Lol. I've never seen a trailer where I was skeptical something wasn'ta real life person.

thelastword

Banned
I’m not sure why people continue to get fooled by these non-gameplay trailers again and again.
I think it's really all about the composition of a trailer...….For e.g. Witcher 3's early reveal looked like a game, everything was there, the levels, the geometry, the npc's, effects like fire and water were shown, physics elements with wind blowing in the forest, foliage, texture work et al.....Witcher was actually riding his horse in the environment just like you do in-game.......I actually believe they had this running on some high spec PC, perhaps dual SLI 1080ti's, maybe at 30fps even, but it looked real......Of course they had to dial it way back to hit a base XBOX ONE and other lighter PC GPU's, but it is what it is.....

From the moment I saw Hellblade 2, it just never looked like typical footage of a character being playable in a game, walking and interacting with the environments, npc's in a typical gaming level, physics elements in the environment, Senua gong through a finished and realized level with all elements intact...….Their main focus was just to show you a mocap face, with shrieking, and as someone said earlier, great teeth btw, but it's really just a video with curtailed camera angles and lots of baking......

Tbh, I don't even think what we saw there was particularly impressive...….I think we will see much better visuals and technology in-game next gen, running in realtime, perhaps not the IQ here of this video, but better character modelling in a real gaming environment running at 30fps 4k......This, unlike this video with lots of prerendered scenes at 60% of 4k at 3840 x 1608...…….I think in a few months people will realize that even for a video, HB2's reveal will not seem impressive over some of the real-time games that will be shown.....

Psykodad

Banned
We're not going to see games of this quality running in real-time on the consoles. I can assure you that.
Most likely.

But I do want to point how full of shit all the tech-savvy gaffers are (not directed towards you), because I remember like it was yesterday how those gaffers were claiming the Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son trailers wouldn't ever be possible on the obsolete PS4 hardware. 🤣

No doubt our minds will get blown next-gen.

Last edited:

TBiddy

No doubt our minds will get blown next-gen.

Absolutely. But in this case we're talking a pre-rendered CGI trailer with IQ far above what we see even on high-end PC's. We're not going to see this running in 4k30 realtime on consoles. I'd love to be wrong, but I think it's unrealistic.

Kagero

24 fps says it all. It's a CG movie. Probably done quickly to have something to show. Final game will probably be very close though.

thelastword

Banned
24 fps says it all. It's a CG movie. Probably done quickly to have something to show. Final game will probably be very close though.
Tbh, I'm not sure why so many could not see the signs or perhaps refused to...... This always looked like a video as opposed to something in-game...... Isn't NT working on another game? Where would they get the time to develop HB2 at such a level of IQ and have it be in-game.

Having said that, I don't even think this was a particularly good looking cutscene, where cutscenes usually utilize higher asset and lighting quality, they hid too many details in that video, which probably indicates a lack of time and manpower....

Not only will we get much better and more ambitious looking cutscenes, we will easily exceed the graphical complexity and sheer volume of details, not seen here, coupled with real-time physics, lighting and full resolution effects, with everything else that makes an in-game level, multiple characters on screen, npc's, huge draw distance and lodging, foliage etc in real time, that is more impressive to me......

Call me crazy but I thought the trailer looked great. If it improves anything on the first game, it's a win as that game looked great also in 2017.

Top Bottom