• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PSVR 2 Deep Dive - Song In The Smoke Preview - Talking Tech With 17-Bit

ABnormal

Good video but it would have been nice if they explained some of the survival mechanics a little more.
Well, it's specifically a DF video, and it's aimed to the tech side of things. Doing a shallow gameplay explanation would give a bad idea of the game anyway. That has to be done properly, and taking time for it in a technical video was probably considered out of place.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
These guys are saying about the eye tracking (as a potential control input) exactly what I've been talking about... except I've been conservative. Not knowing how high the input resolution and latency would be, acknowledging that it might not be fine enough for super precise control. They're making it sound like it's superior to traditional methods. They literally say it...

Fuck yes. Best news.

phaedrus

a device that's completely tied to PlayStation.
Jim Carrey Yes GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
These guys are saying about the eye tracking (as a potential control input) exactly what I've been talking about... except I've been conservative. Not knowing how high the input resolution and latency would be, acknowledging that it might not be fine enough for super precise control. They're making it sound like it's superior to traditional methods. They literally say it...

Fuck yes. Best news.

And no disrespect but this is from a small 3rd party indie team. Imagine what a 50 person AAA team could do with eye tracking.....

Its Magic Surprise GIF by Rosanna Pansino

That tech is certainly much better than I thought it would be. I'm always skeptical of these sorts of claims but I'm happy that they were realistic.

What I mean by that is that it's more than just a buzz word.

Last edited:

Markio128

Something that has just occurred to me regarding eye tracking is how useful it could be when creating within Dreams. The biggest barrier for me is how awkward it can be to create a character or piece of scenery with a controller in 3D space. If I could sculpt using eye tracking, it could make the process far more appealing for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i dont remember in what thread i had a conversation with someone regarding gaze aiming.

the point is = game changing.

FPShooters will never be the same.

Killzone VR better be real.

That's not what it's for. Or at least not what it should be used for. VR is all about immersion, and that includes aiming weapons like you would in real life, not with your eyes. But it can certainly be used for other very cool things.

(I think we've had this discussion before, lol.)

That's not what it's for. Or at least not what it should be used for. VR is all about immersion, and that includes aiming weapons like you would in real life, not with your eyes. But it can certainly be used for other very cool things.

(I think we've had this discussion before, lol.)
😆. you are not shooting with your eyes 😆

Mr.Phoenix

i dont remember in what thread i had a conversation with someone regarding gaze aiming.

the point is = game changing.

FPShooters will never be the same.

Killzone VR better be real.
VR can be game-changing for FPS, but not just like that... There is a lot of immersion with VR getting you to use your hands like you are aiming a gun, but I think they could just dumb t down. You use the stick on one of the controllers for forward, back and strafe movements, then use your head the way a right stick would be used.

VR can be game-changing for FPS, but not just like that... There is a lot of immersion with VR getting you to use your hands like you are aiming a gun, but I think they could just dumb t down. You use the stick on one of the controllers for forward, back and strafe movements, then use your head the way a right stick would be used.
your lack of vision is baffling.

see
what I did there and there?

sachos

Fuck yes. Best news.
Yeah, this sounds like something you have to actually try (like everything in VR really) to actually get a sense of how it works. I get using vision to select stuff on a menu but i'm having a hard time imagining how it would feel to use your eyes as a way of moving around or doing other more gameplay focused actions.

Ozriel

M$FT
On topic they really didn't like on quest lol
I'm pretty much confirmed quest 3 will be another crap.

Quest 2 wasn’t ‘crap’ , so it’s highly unlikely Quest 3 would be crap.

They probably have it down to where the processing is so fast, that it updates faster than your brain receiving the image.

Hopefully eye tracking works perfectly even for those of us with glasses.

you look > you press the aim button > shoot.

no

you look and shoot.

Isn’t it way more immersive to use your hands with the controllers?
Use eye tracking to focus on targets but actual aiming and shooting with your hands

phaedrus

Crayon

Any that want to? Nvidia Introduced VRSS ages ago. Can't use it with DLSS for obvious reasons and DLSS gives similar performance improvements so don't think many devs bother supporting it anymore.

So the fixed foveated rending works as well as dlss with that huge central area. Then what happens when you shrink that full-rate region down really small? Idk where you were trying to go with that.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Would make playing feel much more natural and intuitive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom