• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims mid-generation Switch hardware refresh was once planned, but no longer happening and next-gen is next

Banned
Switch 2 is dumb easy to design and market. Bigger, faster, 100% backwards compatible.

Knowing Nintendo though they will bungle it

they will already cripple its potential if they call it anything else than Nintendo Switch 2...

and knowing Nintendo, Switch 2 is most likely not what it's going to be called.

tkscz

I0rVSfQ.png

You'd think everyone would have learned by now when it came to those kinds of leakers. 2024 is just the right time for a new system considering the Switch came out in 2017.
Well from the fact that, according to this podcast. developers were told to be ready for a mid-gen upgrade, Nintendo does it with all their other handhelds and the specs were in official nvidia documents, just a cut down Orin that they are about to release as a SBC, sounds like it WAS going to be a thing. Technically making the rumors about the hardware existing true.

Azurro

Banned
I question Nintendo being nervous and we've heard enough rumors about a would-be mid-generation refresh for that to have been plausible. It's also beyond obvious that a successor is the path forward. Yes, Nintendo has been alternating between success and failures for their past systems, but they've usually failed while playing keep up with the Joneses from a "power" perspective. They certainly will not do that again. A hybrid system is the path forward for a lot of reasons:

The switch is already a handheld, just with a HDMI out. Obviously their next system will be a handheld again, they have that market all to themselves. I don't think they want to compete with Sony/MS ever again.

clampzyn

that said Nintendo does need a more powerful console to bring them into the 4K
Why does a small display need 4k? A switch that will handle all games at 1080p60 for the switch next gen is more than enough.

Last edited:

splattered

I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion but if i could get the next gen nintendo system i wanted... i'd make it at least as powerful as PS5/XSX and primarily meant to be connected to a television. Give it full Wii/Wii-U disc BC support as well as a slot to play switch games BC. For mobile play just offer a nintendo branded handheld that streams games via local remote play, cloud, etc. Make that piece an optional purchase so that people who don't care about Switch-2 on the go don't have to buy and use it.

Elysion

Banned
they will already cripple its potential if they call it anything else than Nintendo Switch 2...

and knowing Nintendo, Switch 2 is most likely not what it's going to be called.

What if Nintendo decides to revive the Gameboy brand? If their next system was called ‚Gameboy‘, there would be no confusion whatsoever whether it‘s a new system or an upgrade or something else (like happened with the Wii U). Because such confusion might indeed happen again if its called ‚Super Switch‘ or something like that. They could follow Sony’s example and just go with ‚Switch 2‘, but considering they haven’t done that for any other system in the last 40+ years, I doubt they‘d start now.

But bringing back the name Gameboy would immediately create a lot of buzz. It should still be a hybrid of course, with the same or similar form factor to the Switch; but that name man… it would push people‘s nostalgia buttons really hard. They would hardly have to do any marketing, the name alone would be enough.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Nintendo will likely continue the "Switch" brand naming in some form for their next console, as it's proven to be massively successful and has a humungous install base and is a big moneymaker.

I wouldn't be surprised if they call their next console the "Switch Ultra" or "Super Switch" or something akin to that. Being backwards compatible with current Switch will likely (and should be) a feature plus the benefits of the new console.

The original NES was followed by the Super NES...

Doczu

Come on, there have been many reports and rumirs regarding an upgraded Switch in 2019/2020 and then all of them died out.

The pandemic happened, sales soared, no need for R&D.

That said a new Switch is desperately needed, the amount of cutting needed to run third party stuff is crazy right now. Better even, some internal studios start struggling

Davevil

As much as this sounds unpopular, I agree with you, I absolutely don't want a Switch2, but a completely new Hardware. Can Nintendo survive against Sony and MS without "portable gimmick", or new gimmicks ? I'm not sure. If you ask me, I would cry for a Nintendo true Home Console, like it was with GC, but sadly we have close to zero chances. I didn't like Nintendo Wii, and I didn't like the Switch, but these are some of the most successful piece of hardware Nintendo ever did, so, how can we ask Nintendo to think about us, or the gamers like us ? They only think about profit, even more than MS and Sony.
Reasoning with a cold head, I am aware that Nintendo will never go back to producing two consoles (home and portable)

Imtjnotu

I bet you said the same thing about the Switch/NX back in 2016. In case you somehow forgot, tech evolves over time and since the Switch released halfway in between the PS4 and PS5 was halfway between a PS3 and PS4 spec wise, logic only follows that the Switch 2 releasing either this year or 2024(half way in between PS5 and PS6) would be halfway in between the PS4 and PS5 spec wise.
Until battery tech changes, don't expect a handheld any more powerful than the current stream deck. If you really think you are getting a handheld thsts between ps4 and PS5 I've got some bad news for you

I really don't understand what problem Nintendo faces in creating a successor to the Switch..... All they literally have to do is make a Switch 2 that is at least double the performance and fully backwards compatible... And they'll win.

i think the new Nintendo console MUST BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE or they are fucked.

The current switch is custom ARM, with NVIDIA ARM based GPU, so I think they are waiting on NVIDIA to make a new ARM based variant GPU. They can't go with QUALCOMM or Adreno. I dont think the new console will suffer the same fate as WiiU.

It would be nice to play switch games on switch 2 with upscaling, increase fps, among other improvements that they can release on patches. I think Nintendo is nervous but i think they will get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatever they do I want a home console option, one not crippled by battery requirements. I would prefer not to waste money on a screen, battery and tiny buttons needing replacing with another £90 controller.

They could have given us a home version of switch so I am not holding my breath.

Caio

Reasoning with a cold head, I am aware that Nintendo will never go back to producing two consoles (home and portable)
There could be a possibility, like to create a "gimmicky connetivity" between the two :D a very little part of me is still dreaming for a Nintendo true Next Gen Home Console, but we know the chances are so small, if not zero :(

nordique

I question Nintendo being nervous and we've heard enough rumors about a would-be mid-generation refresh for that to have been plausible. It's also beyond obvious that a successor is the path forward. Yes, Nintendo has been alternating between success and failures for their past systems, but they've usually failed while playing keep up with the Joneses from a "power" perspective. They certainly will not do that again. A hybrid system is the path forward for a lot of reasons:

-Affordable for consumers
-Satisfies their home territories love of portable gaming.
-Let's them focus the vast majority of their development efforts onto one device.
-Keeps the cost of game development down.

The Switch was the final realization of the prototype that was the Wii U. I think their next system will be a conservative evolution of the Switch and not a drastic departure.
Keep in mind Nintendo being nervous is his own speculation

Knightime_X

Thank god.
At the rate nintendo is going with hardware, a switch pro would've only been like 20% stronger.
I'm losing faith in Nintendo's ability to have anything noteworthy.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Next gen meaning PS4 level hardware? Someone please lead this company properly. Their philosophy on hardware is an absolute joke. Holding the medium back.

They have very talented developers littered throughout the company, stop holding them back with child’s play hardware

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'll buy a new Nintendo system as long as they make it backward compatible with Switch carts. Nintendo is the worst when it comes to making you buy your games again for new hardware. I like the Switch form factor so I'd be ok with another hybrid as long as they don't force anything weird. Keep Miyamoto out of the R&D process.

LordOfChaos

What's actually the functional difference between a fully BC next gen switch and a Switch Pro, if the chip is what's expected? Isn't this mostly marketing?

Xellos

Hope he's wrong about not releasing in 2023. I was really hoping for some spruced up visuals in the new Zelda.

I agree with Richard about not getting too bullish on the specs. Orin Nano at 15 watts can give 1.2 TF GPU, which is 2-3x current docked Switch, but also with significant upgrades to CPU and RAM. When running off battery GPU might be more like 1.5x current docked Switch. Even if the chip was manufactured on a better node than Samsung 8nm, or if Nvidia was able to wring some extra performance out of 8nm, I'd expect similar specs, just with better thermals and longer battery life. GPU should be in XBO-PS4 territory but with DLSS (and maybe limited ray tracing).

Those kind of specs would give a major boost to Nintendo's games and would run last-gen and cross-gen games pretty well. If the goal is to run PS5 and XSS/X games, though, then that kind of handheld device might be a few years out.

Imtjnotu

Hope he's wrong about not releasing in 2023. I was really hoping for some spruced up visuals in the new Zelda.

I agree with Richard about not getting too bullish on the specs. Orin Nano at 15 watts can give 1.2 TF GPU, which is 2-3x current docked Switch, but also with significant upgrades to CPU and RAM. When running off battery GPU might be more like 1.5x current docked Switch. Even if the chip was manufactured on a better node than Samsung 8nm, or if Nvidia was able to wring some extra performance out of 8nm, I'd expect similar specs, just with better thermals and longer battery life. GPU should be in XBO-PS4 territory but with DLSS (and maybe limited ray tracing).

Those kind of specs would give a major boost to Nintendo's games and would run last-gen and cross-gen games pretty well. If the goal is to run PS5 and XSS/X games, though, then that kind of handheld device might be a few years out.
It will be just like the last Zelda. A switch version and a newer switch version

Raploz

i think the new Nintendo console MUST BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE or they are fucked.

The current switch is custom ARM, with NVIDIA ARM based GPU, so I think they are waiting on NVIDIA to make a new ARM based variant GPU. They can't go with QUALCOMM or Adreno. I dont think the new console will suffer the same fate as WiiU.

It would be nice to play switch games on switch 2 with upscaling, increase fps, among other improvements that they can release on patches. I think Nintendo is nervous but i think they will get it right.
ARM is the CPU architecture, not the GPU architecture. The Switch uses standard ARM A57 CPU cores and the same Maxwell GPU architecture used in the GTX 7XX series cards used on PCs.

You don't design a GPU architecture specifically for a CPU architecture. An external Adreno GPU could work perfectly well with an x86 CPU as long as they provide compatible drivers.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Regarding a plain successor, it’s Nintendo we are talking about. They always want to innovate, to give players new ways to play. That’s why I fear that they will make a really stupid decision, just for the sake of being innovative again …

Zannegan

While it's still top of the sales charts why would they change it up?

Will be interested in what the next console is, can't see Nintendo just doing a switch 2, all their consoles since the Wii have had something new to them
If they do, I hooe it's something that adds to the current approach rather than changing it.

For instance, better tracking on the joycons (point of fact, better, chunkier joycons with full-sized sticks would be great), or a VR headset that plugs into the console (and a lil backpack for the console itself) would be fine.

Changing everything for a watch that you control with eye tracking and your emotions or something would be... less than ideal.

sachos

They need to keep making Switch style hardware from now on. Just make it BC and more powerful and able to enhance BC games like current consoles do with last gen. BC is a must right now.
Now, my WISH that i know 99% chance wont happen is for them to release a "home console" only version of the console with better specs, like a Pro version, i bet there are a lot of people that only use the system docked.

Knowing Nintendo, they're going to think up some kind of new gimmick to add on to the console instead of just giving us the obvious.

I just want a more powerful, fully backwards compatible switch with better joycons. It's not that hard.

DaGwaphics

Keep in mind they use Nvidia, so, I guess each % of performance uplift will come with a linear price increase. :messenger_tears_of_joy: (kidding if you couldn't tell)

nordique

Knowing Nintendo, they're going to think up some kind of new gimmick to add on to the console instead of just giving us the obvious.

I just want a more powerful, fully backwards compatible switch with better joycons. It's not that hard.

A lot of core gamers would like this too but will the casual / mass market care?

93xfan

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this.

Nintendo would’ve likely given free updates to older games (better resolution, shadows, texture filtering). I can see them now making us pay for upgraded Switch 1 games on Switch 2 if they bother doing any upgrades.

They should release a system that has the same concept as the Switch. It just needs a better screen and better specs.

There's no need to try to reinvent the system, like they had to with the Wii because the motion control fad was over. The design of the system is still solid.
Agreed. Nintendo has a history of trying to introduce a new gimmick with each generation, but I really hope that’s not the case here.

Just give us hardware that feels like it belongs in 2023.

Nintendo's sales historically have been lowest when they DON'T introduce a new gimmick and go for more of an iterative approach.

SNES sold less than the NES, N64 sold less than the SNES, and the Gamecube sold less than the N64. You could point to competitive reasons for why they sold less, but Wii had just as much competition but broke the mold and their handhelds have had similar patterns. Gameboy Advance sold less than the Gameboy, 3DS sold less than the DS.

Nintendo is acutely aware of this, but human nature suggests not fixing what isn't broken, but human nature also suggests that many families are happy enough to play the existing games out on Switch now.

Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are by far the best-selling Switch games. It's really difficult to get people who are perfectly happy with Mario Kart on the Switch to buy a Switch 2 for Mario Kart 9, especially for iterative graphics, when that wasn't the selling point to begin with.

The biggest success of the Switch was increasing the attach rate for specific franchises: Mario Kart, Zelda, and Smash have all reached new heights on the Switch.

A Switch 2 has a very high mountain the climb and a Switch 2 might have been better suited to bridge the gap between iterative and experimental. We'll have to see, especially if the price proves too high for many families to justify. I'd say Nintendo will wait out the recession and try to release the most powerful system they can within that 300-400 dollar price range. The problem is the longer they wait, the more people will eventually shift to a PS5 or Xbox Series.

I think a lot of us kind of passed on the Switch despite how successful it was in terms of units, but would still buy the hell out of a Switch 2 and much of the old library.

I think that same BC poses a risk to Nintendo as well that new consumers of a Switch 2 might focus at least initially more on a backlog of titles, which is another reason why they've kept their prices high. BOTW hasn't fallen under 30 dollars in 5 years...

ppl just want a better Switch. I would have them make that, and add the dual screen element that Wii U had.

Knowing Nintendo tho, they never do what u want them to. So it will be something different

A large part of me is starting to believe that Switch 2 is NOT BC.

I believe they do apologize. And State going ”forward” Nintendo will utilize BC in the future.

I think they could repackage Switch titles as “4k Ultra” packages instead of “Deluxe” editions on Switch.

Games like Mario odyssey, xeno 1-3, Animal crossing, Smash, Mario kart 8, Bayo 1-3, all are ported over with additional content Or All dlc included With increased framerates, graphics, etc.

It would allow Nintendo to fill out its release schedule yet again as well. A mix of new and recycled content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom