• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims mid-generation Switch hardware refresh was once planned, but no longer happening and next-gen is next

Draugoth

Gold Member
21_07_26_3e28d6e2c5dd67b4b99eb736edce4d89_960-1.jpg

source

Rumors of a more powerful Switch – often dubbed by fans as the Switch Pro – have persisted for years. The thought was that Nintendo would come out with a new piece of hardware that isn’t quite a successor, but would be a step up from what we have now. Presumably this theoretical device would allow for things such as technical improvements when it comes to aspects like frame rate and resolution and perhaps even better visuals.

Digital Foundry’s John Linneman has now weighed in on the situation in the outlet’s latest podcast. After speaking with some developers, he believes Nintendo was at once point toying around with a Switch hardware refresh. However, “that seems to no longer be happening” and the company is apparently pursuing a true successor instead.

Linneman’s full words:

“So I think at one point internally from what I can understand from talking to different developers, is that there was some sort of mid-generation Switch update planned at one point and that seems to be no longer happening. And thus it’s pretty clear that whatever they do next is going to be the actual next-generation hardware. I don’t think it’s going to be 2023.”
Linneman would go on to say that in his view, Nintendo is likely nervous about transitioning to what will come next after Switch given past generations. After the GameCube didn’t do too well, we saw the Wii which sold over 100 million units. However, with Wii U which came next, it was one of Nintendo’s worst-selling systems. The company is now back on top again with Switch which is one of its best-selling consoles ever. There’s been a little bit of a pattern with one system doing well, and then the next one taking a step back.

Rykan

They should release a system that has the same concept as the Switch. It just needs a better screen and better specs.

There's no need to try to reinvent the system, like they had to with the Wii because the motion control fad was over. The design of the system is still solid.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have no doubt they were planning for a Switch Pro, probably end of 2020. The timeline makes sense. Then the pandemic hit and they got a massive boost in sales and it revitalized the platform. It just didn’t make sense to do it after that. I know Nintendo voiced concerns about the next gen transition but with a fully BC Switch 2, they shouldn’t worry. I actually don’t know why they wouldn’t release it alongside TOTK, unless the hardware is just not ready yet.

Last edited:

zzill3

Banned
While it's still top of the sales charts why would they change it up?

Will be interested in what the next console is, can't see Nintendo just doing a switch 2, all their consoles since the Wii have had something new to them

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
They should release a system that has the same concept as the Switch. It just needs a better screen and better specs.

There's no need to try to reinvent the system, like they had to with the Wii because the motion control fad was over. The design of the system is still solid.

Agreed. Nintendo has a history of trying to introduce a new gimmick with each generation, but I really hope that’s not the case here.

Just give us hardware that feels like it belongs in 2023.

Nvzman

Good. The PS4 Pro and Xbox whatever it was called were pointless cash-ins, both of them offering next to nothing over the original systems.
I can sort of understand feeling that way towards the PS4 Pro, but the One X was an absolute monster in terms of power compared to the One S/One. It had huge performance boosts and consistently did 4K very well vs the og Xbox One being an underpowered piece of shit. It was a big upgrade and basically felt like a proto-Series X.

Fbh

Wouldn't surprise me.
They probably saw the OG Switch was still selling like crazy and the profit margin on it must be decent since it's outdated 2017 tech so there was no reason to cannibalize sales with a new less profitable model.

Also with a mid gen refresh they might feel the pressure to release free or cheap updates to existing games. Jumping straight to Switch 2 makes it easier to sell $60-70 remasters of everything

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It baffles me how such an old and low quality of materials hardware stands for so long.
Dont get me wrong, im not trolling here. But for the love of god Nintendo, at least release the same hard specs on a premium quality of materials device.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I can only hope that the Switch 2 has a new storefront and piecemeals out the legacy games... Can you imagine, lol.

I think Nintendo would be crazy to not go the Switch 2 route. Seeing how they no longer make the 3DS or have a successor, going back to strictly at-home use for their main console would be shocking.

I am really curious what it will be though and how the games will look. I feel like we'll get some kind of announcement in 2023.

0neAnd0nly

That’s a really bold prediction!

No mid Gen refresh at almost 6 years in, and next hardware will be the successor? Holy crap! Shocking!

No for real though. I will take the counter opinion to most and say EFFING GOOD. I’m glad Nintendo didn’t try to nickel and dime with a step console after 3 years.

Last edited:
Good. The PS4 Pro and Xbox whatever it was called were pointless cash-ins, both of them offering next to nothing over the original systems.
They offered still better graphics than Nintendo. Hope that Nintendo reaches that level of graphics quality with their next console.

But I highly doubt It because they been ripping customers off after the GameCube with their low budget hardware.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Good. Next gen should be obvious now at this point.

Linneman would go on to say that in his view, Nintendo is likely nervous about transitioning to what will come next after Switch given past generations.
I can imagine. If they don't have a new gimmick to add, just stick to Super Switch for now. They're still the best at portables and at least lets us play them on TV. This is working for now. Wait for gen after next for any new tech/gimmicks.

They don't have to reinvent the wheel every time. Maybe add a thing or two for the next Super Switch to make it look different. Maybe have a dock with hardware this time that can make the Switch more powerful when played on TV.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I question Nintendo being nervous and we've heard enough rumors about a would-be mid-generation refresh for that to have been plausible. It's also beyond obvious that a successor is the path forward. Yes, Nintendo has been alternating between success and failures for their past systems, but they've usually failed while playing keep up with the Joneses from a "power" perspective. They certainly will not do that again. A hybrid system is the path forward for a lot of reasons:

-Affordable for consumers
-Satisfies their home territories love of portable gaming.
-Let's them focus the vast majority of their development efforts onto one device.
-Keeps the cost of game development down.

The Switch was the final realization of the prototype that was the Wii U. I think their next system will be a conservative evolution of the Switch and not a drastic departure.

I can sort of understand feeling that way towards the PS4 Pro, but the One X was an absolute monster in terms of power compared to the One S/One. It had huge performance boosts and consistently did 4K very well vs the og Xbox One being an underpowered piece of shit. It was a big upgrade and basically felt like a proto-Series X.

I owned a Pro and it was a noticeable improvement overall compared to the OG PS4 in terms of more stable FPS. Then again, it was only a $100 upgrade after I sold my Glacier White PS4 that same year.

//DEVIL//

I cant handle current switch. I need a new gen refresh with strong horse power.
Please nintendo, please.
I cant handle the controllers on the switch. the thumbsticks are too small for my hands and the curve on them is just a no go.

let alone the fact there is a huge input lag that its not even funny. I was so excited when Overwatch was announced and released for the switch. started playing ( was level 100+ on PS4 ) and nope. not playable at all. input lag and 30 fps ? worst thing to happen to an FPS game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Literally all they have to do is make a Switch 2, aka a more powerful Switch with faster load times and that's it. I don't think anyone wants them to go back to having separate handheld and console systems.

Deerock71

I think it was all for the best. The OLED kicks ass, and mobile chipsets will have that much longer to evolve. My body will likely be ready, as long as there's backwards compatability.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Look I give Nintendo a lot of flak but they found out Nintendo is nervous? lol How does he know did Miyamoto run that one by him.

Insiders never know crud when it comes to Nintendo and instead of admit they got it wrong they make some sky is blue predictions and useless clickbait news.

Bridges

Crazy to think about how long the Switch has been around now, and all the features I assumed it would've gotten but never did.

Even still, helluva console. As others said already, so long as the next thing is BC I will be happy. No way I'm buying Mario Kart 8 for a third time.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Actually, if they had released the a Wii U without the game pass for $300 or even $250... Basically a Wii HD with better controller and the pro controller as novelty, they wouldn't flop so hard, of course, the name and look of the system should have been different too

Top Bottom