• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever sell and buy same console many times?

keraj37

Probably I shouldn't brag about it, since it makes me unhinged in public eye, but I had
2 times XSS - first time for "next gen" NBA 2k21 and later to have the same game back again
3 times XSX - for 4k upgrade in NBA and FIFA and any other game
3 times PS5 - first time DE for Ratchet & Clank, later Blu-ray edition for DriveClub (only physical copy possible for me), and lastly for Horizon Forbiden West, which I just started to play now.

And once again I am left with XSX and PS5 on my desk, and when I calculate how much I lost buying new console (sometimes from scalpers) and selling as used one, I could have 2 more consoles on my desk if I weren't that unhinged.

Probably this thread won't last long since there aren't that many unbalanced people like me, but here, I wanted to share it with you.

(But I promise not to sell any of my consoles until the end of this gen)

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only console I've bought twice was the PS4 after my first one had the GPU fail and caused artifacting or just crashes. I remember it started happening when playing Witcher 3.

Never have sold a console though, and probably never will.

Last edited:

keraj37

There are numerous consoles I bought and sold then bought again.

I owned 4 or 5 Xbox 360s, 3 PS3, 2 PS4 and a PS4 pro.
5 times X360? Why? You beat me!
Only console I've bought twice was the PS4 after my first one had the GPU fail and caused artifacting or just crashes. I remember it started happening when playing Witcher 3.

Never have sold a console though, and probably never will.
Nice, I will follow your footsteps and keep mine from now on.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Probably you are left with A1200 - but I think Amiga isn't really a console, but true, it is not a PC either. I had A500, but I sold it many winters ago.
I have A1200 and A500+ currently.

But if you specifically want consoles only then I've also gone through my fair share of SNES and MD. I have one of each now. Boxed, not touched and that is it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, I try and play everything I want to play on that platform and then get rid. I'm selling my PS3 as we speak.

keraj37

I have A1200 and A500+ currently.

But if you specifically want consoles only then I've also gone through my fair share of SNES and MD. I have one of each now. Boxed, not touched and that is it.
I knew it! A1200 was the best, I remember being jealous to my friend who got it or even the other friend who had 500+ since it had 1mb chip RAM and could play the games I couldn't with 0.5Mb fast nad 0.5 chip ram.

MiguelItUp

You know, I never thought about this until just now. Growing up, not having a job, I sold/traded multiple consoles to get the next big thing. But I never bought them back, because I felt no desire to.

The Nintendo 64 I had was "borrowed" by a brother's friend of mine, whom I didn't even give permission to do so. I never got it back. Thanks bro!

However, a couple of years ago, I bought one to enjoy some classics. Not sure if that counts, but that's the closest thing I can think of, lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I could have actually saved money selling and re-buying my PS5 for what I wanted to play on it, but the saving wasn't worth the hassle.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Only time I did that was selling my Black PS4 Pro and buy a PS4 Pro 500 Million Limited Edition.

Totally worth it.

Last edited:
Only time I sold a console was to upgrade within the generation.

For example when the elite 360 came out I sold my launch 360, when the ps4 pro came out I sold my launch PS4, etc.

keraj37

I think we all know why...
Ah I see,
55e737a4dd0895f6588b4630

Jaybe

Guilty. But not many times like you, more like sold and bought again; then sold.

Black Fridays would often have a bundled game that I wanted to play and be priced lower than the console itself normally, plus I know a retailer that gives something like a gift card on purchases here, so it’s cost effective. But I would play the bundled game, then a few more exclusives. Then think about the other side, and that having a console just sit there unplayed is silly… so I’d sell used for about the same as I bought it for and get the other company’s console.

I think I’m done with that though. XSX I have and makes a great keep forever console because of its back compatibility. PS5 I’m looking for now at my preferred retailer, or get a slim revision when it’s out. I’ve got a Switch Lite which I thought I’d use more, I’ll likely buy a Switch 2 I’d back compatible and give away. And I’ve got the gtx 1080 doing fine for last gen games. So I’m basically sorted out.

Last edited:

Banned
I did that a lot in the past, where I sold and rebought my 360 multiple times and my PS3 and Wii once.

not anymore tho.
I do usually get every system twice tho eventually.
I usually have one on the PC monitor and one on the big TV for local Multiplayer for games without splitscreen.

the Series S came in super handy for my setup of course :)

Shifty1897

What the fuck? No.
I never sell consoles, I play them until they break 10 years later and then I throw them away.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Yeah, bought and sold Series S a couple times. I really wanted to enjoy Xbox as a platform but the lack of interesting games and the uninteresting offer on Game Pass made me give up on it.
Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to just put in a closest or something until more games come out? It has only been out a little over two years so that is a lot of buying and selling.

PerfectDark

Banned
I use to sell my consoles if I didn't use them. Thought it was dumb to have both. I would sell them and rebuy them over and over. Learned my lesson and I bought a series x and ps5 at launch and will never sell them unless a better version releases. I learned you want what you don't have.

X-Wing

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to just put in a closest or something until more games come out? It has only been out a little over two years so that is a lot of buying and selling.

Nah, realised that if ever something interesting comes out I can just play it on PC.

angrod14

Bought a Switch a couple of years ago; regreted it immediatly and sold it. Bought a Switch OLED a few days ago, regreted immediatly but not ready to go through the hassle of selling it (again).

GametimeUK

I don't sell consoles and rebuy them. However I used to always laugh at that video of the guy who has 3 PS3's. In 2023 I myself have 3 PS3's. #feelsgoodman

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Woggleman

This reminded me that I should sell my PS4 Pro while it can still get a decent price. The PS5 plays PS4 games so I don't need it anymore.

Unknown?

I sold my first 40gb PS3 because my roommate moved out and took his TV so I got a PSP and sold the PSP and rebought the PS3 when we got a TV again.

Sold my original Vita because I didn't play it much but then bought another one later since my roommates would use the TV a lot.

Katajx

Gold Member
I think I had 3 switches, 3 ps3s, 4 ps4s, and hopefully not going to be 5 ps5s lol

I guess technically 2 xbox ones. I tried it out with a one S and then got the One X when it came out like a month later.

Last edited:
Bought a Switch, cause of hype, sold that. Bought a Switch Lite for BOTW, it didn't hit with me, sold it. Bought a Switch Lite for Animal Crossing & Pokemon, I was not feeling it, so I sold it LOL

I currently have no Switches lol just PS5/PC are left. I gave it a few tries, but it just wasn't for me. I don't think I am a handheld gamer anymore.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Bought a Switch, cause of hype, sold that. Bought a Switch Lite for BOTW, it didn't hit with me, sold it. Bought a Switch Lite for Animal Crossing & Pokemon, I was not feeling it, so I sold it LOL

I currently have no Switches lol just PS5/PC are left. I gave it a few tries, but it just wasn't for me. I don't think I am a handheld gamer anymore.

I didn’t try until the 3DS, because it just seemed too compromised compared to the experience on a console.

The switches I bought for BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey. Never really cared to use them in handheld. My younger kids don’t mind so they sometimes prefer the Switch Lite.

5 times X360? Why? You beat me!

Nice, I will follow your footsteps and keep mine from now on.
I got one, eventually sold it, got another second hand and gave it to my brother and bought a new one, then I bought a ps3 at some point for an exclusive (can't remember which one, might have been MGS4) and ended up selling the 360, then near the end of its life cycle I picked one up cheap to play a few of the big AAA exclusive games I'd missed.

Don't forget, this is over a 6 or 7 year period.

keraj37

I got one, eventually sold it, got another second hand and gave it to my brother and bought a new one, then I bought a ps3 at some point for an exclusive (can't remember which one, might have been MGS4) and ended up selling the 360, then near the end of its life cycle I picked one up cheap to play a few of the big AAA exclusive games I'd missed.

Don't forget, this is over a 6 or 7 year period.
839585.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve had so many consoles in the last four decades.

But I’ve found that on the two occasions I did rebuy them I regretted it, because the magic was gone.

Top Bottom