• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever sell and buy same console many times?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
When I was younger and impulsive, like teens-early 20s, sure. I think I bought/sold/rebought/sold both the Xbox 360 and PS3 a few times.

Haven't done that in ages though.

I've probably bought at least 50-60 Sega Saturns and resold all but 12. It was more or less a side hustle/ hobby that I had going on between 2011-2014 where I would purchase entire Sega Saturn collections off Yahoo Japan Auctions, clean them up/ repair the consoles, test them, and then resell them bundled with games on Ebay.
The funny thing was that the auctions were always listed as "junk," yet out of dozens of collections I purchased during those years, all but three Saturns worked perfectly. The Japanese tend to keep their gaming systems in near-pristine condition, so I didn't have to do much cleaning/ refurbishing. Since I played each Saturn for several hours before reselling just to make sure they worked, I played a heckuva lotta Sega Saturn in those years and built up quite a hefty collection. I was always able to either come out even or ahead after reselling the extra duplicate stuff I already had on Ebay.

X-Wing

Wow... How can someone find Game Pass uninteresting is beyond me.

Personal taste I guess. As someone who plays almost no third party games, I rarely found anything interesting or that I really wanted to play (or hadn't played before) on Game Pass.

X-Wing

But why ? Third parties are awesome and there is a ton a choice in Game Pass in that regard.

Third parties are mostly trash? Honestly the last one I played was Red Dead Redemption 2 and DQ... For the rest I look out for Nintendo's, PlayStation's and Xbox's first party games. Halo Infinite was a disappointment though so...

When got my first job, still living at home paying no rent, I bought a ps1 with my first wage, sold it for beer money a couple of months later, did that about 5 times.

dcx4610

No but I've definitely bought consoles that I don't end up using or regretting and end up getting rid of them. Most recently, I sold my Xbox Series X. My idea was that I'd use it for multi-plats and games that I don't really care about high frame rate on. It ended up just collecting dust and not getting powered on for a full year so I decided to let it go.

It's just too hard to focus on multiple platforms at this point. I'm a PC gamer and I'll sometimes dip into the Switch/PS5 for exclusives but even that feels like too much these days. That's why I'm really happy with getting all of these Sony titles on PC. Once less platform to keep track of.

I had a super cool gold GameCube and I sold it to buy a DVD writer (they were super expensive back then) so I could pirate PS2 games

Then I got regrets and bought a black one I liked a lot, I sold it I don't remember why

I finally got a purple one which was my final one. I never regretted rebuying them, only selling them

solidus12

I had the worst experience on PS4:

Bought a first gen PS4 back in 2014, and it was so loud when playing Infamous. Sold it
Bought a white PS4 1100 series, It was loud as fuck when playing the Witcher 3. Solid it
Bought a 1200 PS4, it was alright, but still loud on MGS Phantom Pain's helicopter menu. Sold it.
Bought a PS4 Pro, it was okay-ish but then IT WAS SO LOUD when playing God of War. Sold it
Bought a Slim PS4 2200 series, it was great, but had to sell it (economic reasons).
my Final PS4 was a Pro 7200 series, it's fine, not completely silent but it does not bother me.

I bought and sold the ps5 2 times so far. Bought it at launch, played the games I was interested in and sold it. Bought it again for god of war and sold it and now I just bought it for the last time and will keep it

So I guess 3 ps5s for me

Last edited:

Jaybe

Christ I need to sleep. I read this as, "Did you ever sell your body for a console many times"?
don’t keep us in suspense

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nope and I'm definitiely not thinking about it now considering how expensive the (working) older consoles have become.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ive bought a few LE consoles for sure and whenever they do a big overhaul like a PStwo or PS2slim.

SHA

Xbox one ,bought 3 times and didn't sell them, it was for the deals and and for multiple game access while offline for the same copy , saves time and some cash to buy more games , console war works if you're cheap I guess, let the fanboys eat s while we benefit from all that.

Last edited:

RickMasters

My UK-pal Sega saturn. Sold it to buy the white japanese one. Then I went and bought the transparent one (both from computer exchange in london) . I regret selling them and all my import games to this day. Honestly wish I had a time machine so I could go back and warn myself that Ill never play a better version of xmen Vs streetfighter and that saturn games that use the RAM cart are truly the stuff of gods. I never missed my megadrive, snes, any of my playstations or xboxs...not even my dream cast. the saturn and NES are the only consoles I miss and regret selling . Its the era it reminds me of too ....late 90s...just learning how to use an akai MPC drum machine,buying my G3 mac with midi ports on the back and starting college ...DJ tony touch mixtapes.... my dallas cowboys starter jacket. The internet was brand new to us. 3D gaming was new.....Anytime I look a t a saturn I get memories of all these things. what a time! what a console! even if it was the black sheep of the three (N64 and PS being the golden childs).

Skifi28

Sounds kinda stupid to be honest, I don't even sell my old consoles. Even when the PS5 can play PS4 games, I still kept the Pro as emergency backup since you never know.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Think i had a few ps2, ps3, owned 2 ps4 rest of my consoles ive bought and kept till i sold or upgraded to next console, but now just got a ps4 pro, ps5, xbox x and a pc, wish i had kept all my consoles and games since ive had every console and handheld since the nes and megadrive , would have been a excellent collection to have in a gaming room

Last edited:

MikeM

Yep. Did it with PS3 three times (had the hardware BC one at first. Mad regrets).

Just did it with Series X- Og Series X. Sold it when I landed a Halo Series X. Sold the Halo Series X for PC. Bought another Series X but returned it. I should have kept the Halo one.

TLZ

Banned
Did that with the PS4, Switch and Xbox One.

Traded in the PS4 for Pro. Then traded in the Pro for PS5 at launch because it'd cost me half the price only. Couldn't say no.

Bought the Switch at launch and hardly used it, so sold it and bought another during the holidays on sale. I might've bought again at a cheaper price between those 2 periods and sold it because of joycon drift. I'm unsure.

Bought the Cirrus White Xbox One which looked nice, then sold it years later because its price went up being a rare limited edition here and wanted to get the Minecraft One S. Then sold this one and got the One X. Then traded in the One X for a series X. Slashed the series X's price in half, which was extremely tempting. Plus SX played everything the One X did so it was pointless keeping the One X.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Yeah for some reason I had like 4 Xbox ones and 4 ps4s over time. I'd sell them and upgrade my PC. Then an exclusive or deal would happen and I'd buy them again🤷‍♂️. I sold my 780ti sli pc and got the PS4 pro and one x as well. Imediatly regretted it 🤣😭.

Woggleman

One time I bought a used PS2 off of Amazon and the smell of cigarette smoke was so heavy that I bought it in to a local pawn shop and accepted whatever they gave me. The next time I bought a PS2 I went to a video game place at a local flea market and bought one unused still in the packaging that the owner bought from a Circuit City that closed and it was still in warehouse.

Gamerguy84

No well almost once. I was sick of the dry spell PS3 was having. Almost sold it to someone with cash in hand.

Just bought a 360 instead and kept the PS3.

I’ve had like 8 SNES/Super Famicoms. I bought an American one for FFVI, broke it trying to mod it for RGB output, bought another one… had a Super Famicom JR and somehow lost the damn thing, bought another and the broke that so bought another… bought one while living in Japan… all while having numerous PAL versions. Greatest console ever.

Just thinking about it more, I have 3 Saturns - one PAL and two special edition JPN ones and for some reason I’ve had 3 Xbox 360s even though I didn’t really play games during that era.

Jaybe

I’ve had like 8 SNES/Super Famicoms. I bought an American one for FFVI, broke it trying to mod it for RGB output, bought another one… had a Super Famicom JR and somehow lost the damn thing, bought another and the broke that so bought another… bought one while living in Japan… all while having numerous PAL versions. Greatest console ever.
j9ErfNs.jpg

I sold my Sega Genesis when I was younger, after moving on to PS1 and N64 I felt I wouldn’t touch it again, regretted it immensely, I have not sold a console since.
My mate swapped his SNES with 20 games for V-Rally on the PlayStation. Just the game. This was brought up just last week at a 40th birthday dinner, such is the power of this legendary fuck up. Please feel better about yourself.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I´ve never done that. Why would you buy a console, only to sell it and then buy it again? It doesn´t make any sense.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not even once. If I don't use one in a while I don't use it in a while, I know I will use it again eventually (unless it's the end of a generation). I'm rarely in such desperate need of money that I sell stuff off like that if I think I might want to use it again. I might also be a bit of a hoarder, I own a lot of physical games that I'm pretty sure I'll never play again.

Last edited:
I bought an xbox 360 then sold it because I needed money. Then I bought another one, and eventually sold that one too. Never had any issues with the red ring of death. I always think back and hope the people that bought the consoles from me never had any issues.

First PS5 was noisy so I replaced it for a silent one. Bought the og 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibility and sold it due to lack of games, then bought a PS3 slim with Uncharted 2 and it‘s still connected to my big tv. Had multiple Xbox 360s, most of them because they broke, but also because I wanted the updated versions. Had multiple DS, the original one, the original one in a special coler, the DSlite. PS4 got replaced with a PS4 pro, I had two GCN because I didn‘t like the color anymore, I had 5 GBAs, the original twice, the GBA SP and two Gameboy micros. I had two PSPs, the og one and the updated version. Replaced the og switch with a switch OLED ( which doesn‘t make sense because I‘m never playing in handheld mode and it is connected to a 77“ OLED but whatever, new a shiny things and black and white fits the furniture better). Oh and I have 2 seitch still sealed, the animal crossing one and the new pokemon one. One day I‘ll sell them to a mrwhosetheboss in 20 or so years and I‘m gonna make a fortune with it.

Come to think of it, buying basically the same hardware is a huge waste of money.

Last edited:

Naru

I am that way with Nintendo consoles but over a longer period of time. I bought an original GBA, didn't like it much then bought the GBA SP and sold it because I rarely played it. I bought a Wii U and sold it and then bought another one a few years later and ended up selling it after 1 year or so because I only played 1 or 2 games. I bought an original DS and sold it after a year and then later bough a DSi and ended up selling that as well. I had a 3DS at some point and sold it and bought a 3DS XL which ended up on eBay after 2 years.

To come full circle, I bought a Wii U and a NEW 2DS XL in 2021 and I still have both. But I bought most of this stuff on sales or even used so I lost some money here and there and I made some as well because I could sell it for a bit more.

Maybe I should realize that Nintendo consoles aren't for me but I bought a original Switch when it came out and I love that thing.

Last edited:

Moses85

Yes, in the past.. I was young and dumb. Bought LE consoles (Halo 360, R2D2, Halo Slim, Resident Evil 5, Gears… never made any loss but it was time intense… (waste of time)

Only kept my Zelda consoles

GymWolf

Only the original gameboy.

I had the grey one that stopped workingworking6, a yellow one that was stolen during a school trip and a red one that i consumed with pokemon red.

Last edited:
Only one I remember selling is the SNES + games we used to have... I traded them in for a GBA back when it first came out.

I ended up buying another SNES a few years later, and then Super Mario RPG (before it got to absurd prices). I then built up a small library of games I really liked. I think one of my family members has the console + the games now?

I recently bought a Super Famicom and a bunch of Japanese-version games. The prices for everything I got were a lot cheaper than what US SNES + US version of games goes for these days.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Gave away my original PS3 in order to buy a slim.

Same with my original PS4, in order to buy a Pro.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
No with one exception. They are relatively cheap and I like and play games so I keep them all. And I make sure I can afford them before I buy them.

By the time I'm done with them, they aren't worth the effort of selling off. I either keep them for nostalgia and in case I want to play games on them again or give them to a charity shop.

The exception was trading in a DS Lite for a DSi, as I had a GBA and the DSi was just so much better built and nicer than the DS Lite. Plus it had cameras.

But hey, if you want to waste your money rebuying the same stuff and/or you can't really afford it; you do you.

Last edited:

BlackTron

When I was a kid, I traded in my first salvo of gaming stuff when the generation changed. N64 came out, I was so desperate that I traded in my NES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear at Funcoland. Although I long since got it all back. I've had the replacements for so long, I don't even remember where they came from and may as well be antiquity. I'd find this kind of stuff at tag sales, end up with many consoles, give some away to friends and family so they can experience Sonic, and just decided to hold on to at least one working version of each system.

I traded in the N64 after Dreamcast came out...desperate to afford a game. But then I had the chance to buy the clear blue Funtastic model later. I now have like 4 or 5 normal black ones too and I'm not even sure where all of them came from, just left behind from a forgotten age. I wish there were as many working 64 controllers as there were systems lol.

I let my PS4 go after PS4 Pro was announced, knowing what was bound to happen anyway. I had an original white 360 that broke, but never bothered getting it again. Series X is my first one since first gen 360.

I never had an original fat Game Boy again, I got the GBC instead. Now I like the SP. However, I NEVER parted with my 1991 SNES. Still have it. Confronted with N64 coming out I was willing to part with almost everything except this.

In hindsight? It would be kind of cool to have all the original hardware that I actually used back then, but trading in that stuff allowed me to both get the new gaming experience I was looking for when it mattered and learn a valuable lesson. And everything is readily available and easy to play these days, so it's a wash.

At some point, it stopped being worth holding onto every console iteration. That point was 360/PS3. Everything since then has just been a more powerful version of what came before. The switch to x86 really marked this. You would keep a PS4 and PS5 for the same reason you would keep an old PC and a new PC, because you want or need two. Not because the older system has some experience trapped on it.

This train of thought had me thinking though, if I get a PS5 I will probably let my sister take the Pro. Allowing me to take the base PS4 back...which I could then hook up to my CRT TV because it's the only Playstation that's currently supported with streaming apps that has a legacy A/V out (PS3 is dead). I think it would be pretty cool to see a PS4 driving a CRT, I kinda wanna try watching "normal TV" on it again, to say nothing of the benefits in any games. Moral of the story...I'm a fringe case, but don't get rid of anything after all LOL

There are numerous consoles I bought and sold then bought again.

I owned 4 or 5 Xbox 360s, 3 PS3, 2 PS4 and a PS4 pro.
I, too, think I ended up having 5 Xbox 360s. Of course, it wasn't by choice. It was multiple RRoD and E74 failures.

Wow... How can someone find Game Pass uninteresting is beyond me.
Time. Time is a finite resource. I will never have enough time to play all the games on Game Pass or the higher levels of PS+. I would rather buy the 4 to 6 games per year that I really want to play either (a) a month after release when they inevitably go on sale or (b) used.

Last edited:

drganon

Nope. I've always kept all the consoles I've bought. I've had to throw away busted consoles, but in both of those cases I never replaced them since their successors were back compat.

Top Bottom