• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever sell and buy same console many times?

Saiyan-Rox

Not me but when I worked in a gaming retailer there was a guy who would come in and sell his Xbox 360 for cash then come back in and buy another one the week after when his unemployment money came through.

He did this repeatedly for nearly a year.

t_wilson01

I purchased the Sega Genesis three times and the original PlayStation twice. Each time I thought I was done with gaming. How naive.

You don't have to ?
Exactly. So why am I going to pay for a monthly subscription for something I'm not going to use and that I will lose access to when I unsubcribe, when I could just, you know, buy a product and own it for as long as I want to?

Last edited:
I've owned 5 Nintendo Switch consoles.

1. bought one at launch in March 2017 - returned it because it died
2. bought another one in October 2017 - sold it because i had played everything on it
3. another in April 2018 - sold it to buy the improved battery model
4. improved battery model in 2019 - sold it to buy the OLED
5. OLED in November 2021

I've had 3 Ps4 consoles
1. original launch model - sold to get PS4 Slim
2. PS4 Slim in 2016 - sold in 2020 because i thought i was going to get a PS5
3. PS4 Slim in 2021 - decided buying a PS5 was a waste of money

I, too, think I ended up having 5 Xbox 360s. Of course, it wasn't by choice. It was multiple RRoD and E74 failures.

Time. Time is a finite resource. I will never have enough time to play all the games on Game Pass or the higher levels of PS+. I would rather buy the 4 to 6 games per year that I really want to play either (a) a month after release when they inevitably go on sale or (b) used.
Yes, I had a couple that ended up with the RROD as well.

It was a fundamental flaw in the design, I believe.

cireza

Banned
Exactly. So why am I going to pay for a monthly subscription for something I'm not going to use and that I will lose access to when I unsubcribe, when I could just, you know, buy a product and own it for as long as I want to?
You buy your games however you want. I actually do both, Game Pass + buying games.

My initial answer was to someone saying that the Game Pass offer is uninteresting, which is wrong. Even for someone buying games, Game Pass is very interesting. You can buy a month and try out these 4 or 5 games you are interested in, and decide or not to buy them later.

kiphalfton

Xbox 360
PS3
PS4
Xbox One

I used to buy and resell a lot. The Xbox 360 was upgrading from the white one to an elite. The PS3 i had a slim that I sold, got a super slim that I sold, then bought another used slim that's sitting in storage that I'll probably sell at some point. The PS4 I had the slim, and then sold it and got the pro. I sold the pro, and got a PS5. The Xbox one I had the og and sold it, and got tht x1x.

There's a lot more, but I either can't remember or don't care to list.

I am on my third Nintendo Switch.

Bought at launch, played Mario and Zelda and Kart. After about six months, it collected dust for almost a year. Sold it.

New Pokémon game coming (sword/shield). Bought the Switch. Pokémon was a disappointment. Animal Crossing was a disappointment. It collected dust for six months. Sold it.

Two weeks ago I bought the OLED model to try some Japanese games. We will see how it goes.

Havoc2049

Yes, but not recently.

Sold my Atari 2600 collection back in 1986 when I started to get into 8-bit computers and bought a C-64C. Then when I started to get into retro gaming in the mid 90's, I bought a 2600 and a whole bunch of games for dirt cheap.

Sold my Atari 1040ST set-up and collection (ya, not a console), in 1994. Missed all the great games I had and bought a 1040STE for dirt cheap in 1996 and now have a massive ST collection.

Sold my Saturn and Dreamcast collections in like 2002. Regretted it and missed all the great games I had and rebought those consoles a few years latter for dirt cheap. My Dreamcast collection kinda hurt, because I had a bunch of rare Dreamcast collectables from the time, like launch catalogs and magazines, a complete Official Dreamcast Magazine collection w/demo discs, a bunch of stuff bought directly from Sega, limited edition controllers, games, etc. Stuff that rarely shows up on ebay and unless you watch it like a hawk, you'll miss it.

killatopak

Gold Member
Multiple PSP.

Specifically bought one for intensive abuse. It was a Tekken, Dissidia, MH, DJ Max, Project Diva machine.

Another one plugged to my TV via component cables. Mostly used for PS1 emulation.

Elysium44

Banned
I did this I think three times with PS2 and twice with Xbox 360.

Just got bored of them or buyer's remorse, but then later felt the urge to give them another chance.

Last edited:

small_law

I only sell or trade in consoles if I'm going from the base model to something like a pro model. There's just no point in keeping the original. I'm not into collecting special edition versions of consoles, but I keep my own consoles as a sort of archive. Backwards compatibility support can't be trusted.

I felt bad about trading in my launch special edition Xbox One X for my Series X, but Kinect support was the only compatibility difference between the two. I couldn't stand how slow the HDD in the One X was. I was never going to fire it back up and suffer that shit. It was the nail in the coffin.

I have every console I've ever owned going back to my Atari 2600 Vader. I've had pretty much all of them.

Reactions: Isa
When I was younger I sold/gave away a few:

Sega Genesis
GBC - Replacement GBC gifted to me years later.
PS1 - Might receive this back one day from who I gave it to.
Xbox
Wii - Gifted a new one

A couple systems broke:

DS (phat) - Replaced with DS Lite
Xbox 360 - Replaced with Xbox 360 Elite

Kept these and never sold:

N64
GBA
GCN
PS2
DS Lite
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
Switch
PS4 Pro
Wii-U
3DS
PS5
PS Vita

BlackTron

When I started reading the OP I didn't think it was gonna be that bad and I'd be empathetic. But by the very start of the list I was like wat. Ok yeah that behavior really is unhinged.

In the past. I did trade in a lot of old systems at start of 3D gen. Like my OG NES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear. I just had such desperation to get a new game that came out that were just megaton beyond belief back then I was willing to do anything. But I backfilled all of them later with tag sales and such (when they were old crap instead of retro). It's been so long many of those replacement systems may have been replaced and I'm not sure where they all came from exactly. The main system that survived the purge was SNES. I still have the box from 1991 deep in a closet.

I sold my N64 to Funcoland to buy Dreamcast games but replaced it with the Funtastic Blue model (still have it).

I'm tempted to sell my Series X because I've been comparing it against my gaming laptop with Ultimate Gamepass for real world utility and I'm not seeing it. I have a Series S so it's like I have Small-Medium-Large. I can go with Small-Large. And it's worth a whopping $4-500

MadPanda

Banned
I had 3 ps4 pros, one of xbox one, 1 xbox one s and 1 xbox one x, then 1 ps5 and two xsx and in the end 1 Nintendo switch. Do I qualify?

keraj37

I had 3 ps4 pros, one of xbox one, 1 xbox one s and 1 xbox one x, then 1 ps5 and two xsx and in the end 1 Nintendo switch. Do I qualify?
yes-no.gif

I bought and sold (3)DS and Wii systems multiple times. Usually to fund other games. I had many systems at the time and it was expensive buying games for all of them. When a big release disappointed me and there was nothing else on the horizon, I'd sell. Then a couple years later a new game would release, or I'd get a bit nostalgic, and would end up re-buying them again.

I'm more responsible with my spending now. I focus on just a couple of systems and am more patient in waiting for new releases.

Usually sell to buy. Sold my PS4 for PS4 Pro and went X1 => X1S => X1X.

Got rid of my Switch as I just wasn’t playing it but have been super tempted to pick up the OLED version. The only thing stopping me is the rumours of a new version dropping next year and of course me being unable to justify owning all the consoles.

Multiple times.

WiiU.
I bought one to play Wind Waker and then realized there was nothing to play. Then I wanted to play Wind Waker again and figured I can try other stuff. Then 3 months ago I bought one form my buddy for $75 to play...Wind Waker...

Switch.
I bought one to play BOTW. Then later I sold it since I never played it. Then I got another one for Platoon and something else I can't remember. Then when the OLED came out I bought another lol. I also bought a Lite and sold a Lite within 2 months.

Xbox One.
Not exactly bought to rebuy the exact same thing as much. I bought one at launch. Later bought the One S, and then the One X when it came out. Got rid of it to focus on PC/PS and realized that I still wanted one so I bought another One X.

Xbox Series.
I bought a Series X at launch and got rid of it to my buddy. I figured I could play on PC only since everything comes out. Later bought a Series S from Verizon for $150 but decided I wanted an X again only to return it within the 30 days. I did this same thing a couple months ago and again returned it because I realized I didn't need it and it went against my general practice of minimalism. I also sold the Series S a couple weeks ago.

K2D

Banned
No, I hoard my consoles like a goblin, steal them away from the world, and leave them to die a slow death in a layer of dust on a shelf somewhere.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Ive had 4 different ps4s 2 slim 1 launch 1 pro, 2 xbox ones, one og one S. A series S a series x, 1 ps5

4 switches, one launch hacked, one v1 patched, sold, 2 oleds.

Granted they all had a purpose (to farm currency in a particular game) except the switches.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I had a black DS Lite. It was stolen so I bought a white one. Then I got a blue DSi XL. So I acquired three DS systems.

I bought a second Sega Saturn aswell, which quickly died on me, sadly.. I only owned one of each, with other consoles I owned.

Last edited:

CashPrizes

Never sold a console except my PS2 because i got a fat PS3 that was backwards compatible so didn't need the 2 anymore.

Only console I ever bought more then once was the 360, it red ringed on me, got it fixed with Warranty. Red ringed again, warranty was up, and Mass Effect 2 was coming out and I needed to continue my save, otherwise I would have said fuck it and just abandoned the platform.

I did buy the PS4 2x but only because the one that arrived from Amazon at launch had it's HDMI port installed wrong, so I returned it and bought another one.

Besides the 360 never had a console break on me during active use. I doubt my NES or Dreamcast still work but that is from years of neglect.

I have A1200 and A500+ currently.

But if you specifically want consoles only then I've also gone through my fair share of SNES and MD. I have one of each now. Boxed, not touched and that is it.
Really regret not keeping my A500 and A1200. Yeah I have an emulator but it’s not the same. Owning a ZX Spectrum and seeing and hearing an Amiga running a Newtek Demo Reel in my local computer shop was one of the biggest OMG moments in my gaming life

BlackTron

Same here but the 3DS. My first one's battery started draining so quickly and also I wanted a bigger screen so I got the New 3DS XL.

I still want a 3DSXL but feel like I just missed the boat on it. Not worth it enough because I already have a vanilla 3DS, but I won't use it because it sucks so much so I wait to get an XL to play the games right. Which I don't buy because I missed the boat.

I used it to play Mario 3D Land but that's about it. I even own Zelda ALBW but refuse to play it on this piece of crap device. I trapped myself

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Well, I thought I "bought" a DS once, but was actually just a scam. I ended up buying the real thing eventually, but I never got my money back from that time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, in-fact the PS4 is the first console I have ever "sold" to upgrade to a newer one.

Some of my older consoles have become hand-me-down gifts to younger cousins. Some I've kept in storage.

Last edited:
Sold my Jasper 360, looking back I should've kept it since now I want to (re)play some non-BC Xbox 360 titles.

Also gave away my PS4 Pro and some physical games to a local charity since I didn't have use of it anymore after getting a PS5.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve always sold my consoles to pay towards the new consoles that were releasing.

I’ve only ever repurchased a Neo Geo AES and Dreamcast and regretted both. Wound up reselling them.

Sold the PS2 MANY MANY times. I think ultimately I owned probably 3 PS2s.

I sold a PS3 and bought a PS3 again (after the PS5 came out). Unfortunately, the PS3 model does not support PS1 and PS2.

I sold a PS4 and got a PS4 Pro, which I also sold when I got my PS5. I'll probably never buy a PS4 again because of obvious reasons.

Bond007

Yes unfortunately.
N64 is a big one- atleast 3 times
Dreamcast once
360 once
Switch once.

I finally learned my lesson. I just hold on to em now- im also at a financial point in my life where trading them in doesnt make much of a difference/matter

lachesis

Few decades ago, yeah. I was short on money, so I used to buy/sell games and consoles in order to afford new ones.
Not anymore. I only buy games that I'm willing to play thru to the end. Consoles, I buy all the major ones, because I believe one great game that I really like is worth owning that console, and chances are - there will be at least one great game for that console in its lifecycle)

Top Bottom