• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Mark Cerny REVEAL the SHAPE of the PlayStation 5 Console AND BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY in the most SUBTLE way possible? (Visual Proof ITT!!!)

Somehow i don't think a console will have a huge chunk bitten out of it like that, it seems like it's not the most efficient way to contain hardware~

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably the shape of the motherboard or something

14511404087_306845cb01_b.jpg

Shin

Banned
You're reading too much into the "compresses" part, it was done to make sure the focus is on PS5 (just like bold, italtic, etc).
That could very well be the form factor though and nothing wrong with it, I like the PS3 slim actually.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h-1200-80.jpg

This is NOT a troll thread.

When I saw this slide during the morning GDC presentation, I was a bit intrigued by this slide for two things:
  1. The Shape of that object resembles ALOT like a traditional console, especially the PlayStation 3 Slim....speaking of which......
  2. The fact that the slide COMPRESSES the "PS5/PS4 Pro/PS4" in a way to create space below it makes me think that the FULL REVEAL EVENT will bring up this slide again and fill up the space with "PS3 - Legacy Mode/PS2/PSOne". Below is an illustration of this:
    Zflfpzj.jpg
GAF, Are you still stuck in Wonderland and not ENTERED THE MATRIX?
hrFpqKMoAkBFp2fC8a4kpV.jpg

Man, I like you, but you're pushing your brain too much there beyond the 2.23Ghz cap :lollipop_tears_of_joy: :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_heart:🙌

splattered

It's also just the shape of the letter "P"

First thing I also thought was there is room for previous generations below but it really might just be as simple as it standing for Playstation.

If game doesnt support/work in pro mode?

Dunno if there are any games like that, but it doesnt take anything away from us if they give that option, they dont force you to use it.
I do not know of any PS4 games that cannot be played on a physical PS4 Pro system, and I do not know of any games that cannot be played with the "boost" mode enabled. My understanding (and I'm open to correction, which is why I'm bringing it up) is that games work this way on the PS4 Pro:

- the game has no native support but can at least benefit from the "boost" mode. Bloodborne is an example of a game that has no Pro patch or tweaking whatsoever, but it still runs smoother on a Pro

- the game has some tweaks to it, like a 60fps mode (Automata) or heightened resolution (DOOM 2016) or stuff like that. Playing it on a Pro may even enable a few extra menu options for users to manually tweak the Pro-specific features. The improvements are more noticeable due to the devs patching it in, but it's not quiiiite an Official™...

- ...PRO ENHANCED™ CERTIFIED BY USDA game, like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Spiderman, GoW, and probably Last of Us 2. This game carries the official label on the box, usually. The game has some drastic improvements.

I just don't understand why PS5 would run any PS4 game as if it was a PS4 base model.

Who thinks "Okay, today I'd like to revisit Sekiro, but I'd rather just run it like the base PS4 model so that the framerate is worse" ??!

Last edited:
I do not know of any PS4 games that cannot be played on a physical PS4 Pro system, and I do not know of any games that cannot be played with the "boost" mode enabled. My understanding (and I'm open to correction, which is why I'm bringing it up) is that games work this way on the PS4 Pro:

- the game has no native support but can at least benefit from the "boost" mode. Bloodborne is an example of a game that has no Pro patch or tweaking whatsoever, but it still runs smoother on a Pro

- the game has some tweaks to it, like a 60fps mode (Automata) or heightened resolution (DOOM 2016) or stuff like that. Playing it on a Pro may even enable a few extra menu options for users to manually tweak the Pro-specific features. The improvements are more noticeable due to the devs patching it in, but it's not quiiiite an Official™...

- ...PRO ENHANCED™ CERTIFIED BY USDA game, like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Spiderman, GoW, and probably Last of Us 2. This game carries the official label on the box, usually. The game has some drastic improvements.

I just don't understand why PS5 would run any PS4 game as if it was a PS4 base model.
It doesn't matter though, as long as that empty space below it fits my narrative :)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is a great thread! I think you are right!

Also, the shape would still totally fit the awesome UFO design:

Render-Based-PS5-e1582032973836-640x360.jpg

I cools from all angles, which it would need considering the "overclock / boostmodes".
I like the UFO design. maybe tone down the buttons on the front. Make it black, keep the blue vents, and maybe lose the curves for a more sleek, sharper edge design.

kensama

SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h-1200-80.jpg

Can someone tell me if i'm thinking right about PS4 BC?

First line PS5 Native is for PS4 BC with higher resolution and framerate from PS5 architecture.
Second and third line is to play PS4/PS4 Pro in legacy mode without enhancement. So in that case all game are already playable and no need to be verified right?

Top Bottom