• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I get a good deal or should I have waited (Lenovo Legion 5 Pro)

Wait for RTX 4000 or keep the 3070 SKU?

• Yes, you should cancel the order and wait

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No, you got a good deal

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

MH3M3D

Lenovo had this great deal on its website: A Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16" laptop with an AMD 6800H processor and an RTX 3070 card, 1600p 165Hz screen, 16Gb ram, 1TB SSD for 1600 Euro's. The only catch is that it comes without an OS, but those are cheap on the interwebs anyway.

Now I wonder if I should have waited for the Legion 5 Pro 2023 version with an RTX 4000 graphics card that probably runs cooler. I'm guessing that I would have to pay a LOT more to get similar performance.

MH3M3D

Why are you buying gaming laptop?
The worst thing I did was buy a laptop, instead of investing on PC.

Unless you really need a laptop, there is no reason for you to get them.
Instead of having a dedicated gaming PC and a work laptop, I thought I'd get 1 device that can do both. Its mainly for PC-only games. Most games I play on my PS5.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
40 series are going to be expensive so enjoy, that said it might have gotten more of a price drop if waited. That could be said with anything in tech so most important thing is that you enjoy it.

NahaNago

The price seems about right.

I was also planning on buying a laptop for gaming but held off since I had a change of travel plans. I'll just buy a desktop pc next month and buy the nice laptop a year or 2 from now and a budget laptop soonish.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The price is fine. It's crazy how the price of 3070 laptops hasn't fallen one bit in the last couple of years. I bought one in October 2021 with identical specs apart from the CPU (4800h instead of the 6800h) and it was pretty much the same price as what you're paying. Mine is a HP Omen 15.

As for the laptop, it's performed brilliantly, played everything I've thrown at it to a reasonable standard. Last gen and most cross gen games will run on it at 4k 60fps while some of the newer stuff needs to have some settings or the resolution turned down a tad but DLSS when it's available really helps things.

I'd say go for it because the 4000 series laptops are expected to be expensive and the wattage is all over the place for the 4070 mobile chip.

Enjoy it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If he is going to enjoy it, then it's a good investment for him.

I was a huge laptop guy for years, the benifit of moving it around with me so I could game/watch movies anywhere I needed to was worth the less performance. Mostly played stuff like destiny so easy to get affordable laptops that would max that game out.

Get it, Laptop is mobile so you play where you want and when you want. A PC is not having that option, as a young adult i wanted to come after work and play at my PC in my room in my silence. As a 33 years old i don't want to go in my room and close the door. I can play on the laptop and still interact with the family. And no, a PC connected to the tv does not fix the issue when the woman has to see her cooking show/series on the TV.

phaedrus

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

pnHUpHr.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lenovo had this great deal on its website: A Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16" laptop with an AMD 6800H processor and an RTX 3070 card, 1600p 165Hz screen, 16Gb ram, 1TB SSD for 1600 Euro's. The only catch is that it comes without an OS, but those are cheap on the interwebs anyway.

Now I wonder if I should have waited for the Legion 5 Pro 2023 version with an RTX 4000 graphics card that probably runs cooler. I'm guessing that I would have to pay a LOT more to get similar performance.

Your system is powerful enough. It's a good buy.

BlackTron

Nice laptop man. I got one with almost the same specs black friday. I was dragging my butt on upgrading the desktop for forever and I'm glad I did the laptop instead. Yeah there is a power/upgrade hit for the money spent but I think we're past the point the tradeoff is well worth it.

I added a 2TB m2 drive to pack it with games ready to go including a big Launchbox database and finally got around to installing some of those free Epic games. You can consolidate ALL of your content into a device that packs away like a book, can be used as a game console, as a desktop, as a portable device, with more than sufficient power. The downside of not being able to upgrade it is weak compared to their insane specs in a thin design and complete options/range/convenience they allow compared to a honking desktop PC which will pin you in place

I've been having fun consolidating the laptop into the ultimate game console while the 1060 desktop has aged into the dependable always-on machine with a plex server chained to the printer and speakers. Yes you CAN use your laptop like a desktop, but if you're completely dependent on it for that role then you won't really be able to treat it like a portable/movable game console as freely.

Hohenheim

I got the same laptop last summer, but almost imidiatly regretted and returned it. It's quite noisy and although it's a powerful laptop, it's having many of the same "restrictions" you get with your console.
In order to get a real step up, I replaced it with a desktop rig with a 3090 gpu. Very satisfied with that decision. Big step up from ps5/series x.

If getting a desktop is out of the picture, I guess this info is not very helpful, but with the prices of the 30-series getting lower, you could probably find a nice pre-built with a 3090 these days without breaking the bank.
Then you could perhaps get a cheap laptop for only studies/work as well.
This would probably be cheaper then getting a laptop with a 40-series card.
And remember, the mobile nvidia gpu's is not the same as the more powerful desktop variants.

I bought the Intel version of this laptop (i7-11800H) back during Black Friday 2021. It's performed well for me, the 3070 is the full 140W version and it doesn't throttle at all even when the GPU really is pushing the full wattage playing Portal RTX. It also has been a great performer in Elden Ring with all settings maxed. I have not tried Cyberpunk on it but if it can handle Portal RTX I would be surprised if it couldn't handle Cyberpunk.

It was a good buy back in 2021, and honestly it's still pretty damn good in 2023. No one can see the future and predict how good the 4000 series will be unless your name is Jensen Huang, so it's up to you if you want to buy or wait.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Is 3070 laptop (non ti) better than ps5? Been eyeing legion laptop for awhile
Might be better for you if you intend to use it for more than gaming. Nothing beats a console when it comes to gaming performance and value for your money. In pure gaming performance, I'd say they're equal. PS5 is a lot quieter though.

Beechos

Youure fine. The best thing you did is buy it with no os. Now you wont have all the bloatware that would normally come with it.

Dont let fomo of a 40 series gpu question your decision. Theres always going to be something better around the corner with tech.

Ozriel

M$FT

You can find deals in the US for the version with the 3070ti for $1440. Comes with an OS

And yes, you would have had to pay significantly more for the versions with the 40xx GPUs.

It’s Lenovo laptop. Already this is wrong no matter the price

Complete bullshit. The Lenovo legion gaming laptops have been ranked among the best gaming laptops for the past few years. Very good build quality, good cooling and high wattage GPUs.

A PC would have been better investment, since you can upgrade it in the future.

Main problems with laptops is that they become obsolete super fast like mobile's.

Major problem with desktop PCs is you can’t really take them with you.
The man wants a work laptop for mobile use.

I’m also not sure about ‘obsolete’. The 140W 3070 in his laptop performs around the same level as a desktop 3060. He won’t have issues running games for the next 4 years.

Hugare

A 3070 is more than enough if you game at 1080p/1440p. Even 4K with older games

6800H is powerful and has great power consumption. Your 3070 probably has a high TDP, 100-120.

I have a laptop with 5800h + 3060 and at 1080p, I can run everything

You are good. Great buy.

Last edited:

wipeout364

If you are not a power user then a laptop is ok. I think the specs on that one are fine and I think the legion 5 has some decent cooling.

I have a G14 and it does the job when I am away from home with it’s 2060. One of the big issues with laptops is the display quality. My G14 is kind of meh 🫤 on the display side of things, also make sure you invest in some headphones because gaming laptops tend to be super loud once their fans start winding up.

GHG

Gold Member
Is 3070 laptop (non ti) better than ps5? Been eyeing legion laptop for awhile

If we are to believe the PS5 is in the ballpark of the 2070 Super then it's about equivalent.

This is my previous PC build (2070 Super, 3900x) vs my 3070 laptop:

9zydH2B.png

2VhCY12.png

81ysbPY.png

MH3M3D

I was looking at this Lenovo 5i Pro a few months back myself
8jLPWtu.png
I'd skip the 32GB RAM and OS if possible. You can buy a key online for less than the 100 it costs on their shop and 16Gb RAM is enough for gaming. You can always upgrade it later and for less money.

ArcaneNLSC

I'd skip the 32GB RAM and OS if possible. You can buy a key online for less than the 100 it costs on their shop and 16Gb RAM is enough for gaming. You can always upgrade it later and for less money.
I'd be using it for graphic design as well as 3D modeling of construction projects then video editing.

My current Lenovo Y50-4K is showing its age 4th Gen I7 16gb RAM NVIDIA 860M

I also held off in the end to see what the 40 series Nvidias were going to be as well as AMD's GPU's

Last edited:

SNG32

I think it’s a good plus it’s an nvidia gpu so you got dlss and fsr which should future proof you until the console gen is over.

ArcaneNLSC

1DZex1k.jpg

This is a MUCH better deal

The i7 12700H in the 5i Pro is a tad bit more powerful, but the trade off in battery life is significant.
For the record the deal I posted was back on October 9th 2022 and in Australian Dollars

Last edited:

phaedrus

DAT charging brick XD Hows the performance on quiet mode? Can you play in a room with others without the laptop being noticed?
"300W Slim Power Adapter" :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I set the mode to " Auto/AI" exclusively and let it handle the fan speed & GPU wattage.
The fan noise doesn't bother me but obviously YMMV, I'm mostly running PCVR games and CAD modelling on it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Lenovo is the biggest seller of computers in the world LMAO
I had a $3K Lenovo laptop I bought six months ago overheat and melt down today while doing nothing but running a zoom meeting. Wasn't even a gaming laptop. Selling the most computers doesn't necessarily make them good, that's for sure.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My biggest gripe with my outdated Sony Vaio laptop was the overheating. Game more than a couple hours and it’ll start heating up real quick. They’re great when you’re traveling and you want to play. Easy to take to LAN parties with friends. For that much I’d have bought a desktop, but I wouldn’t complain.

You also mention a deal you’re also interested in. Buyers remorse down the road? I also use my Steam Deck a lot. I see a lot of my clients purchase laptops , but the majority that rely on GPU buy desktops. It boils down to what the situation looks like for you 6-8 months down the road.

Top Bottom