• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else find the alien romance in Mass Effect unappealing?

Hedge

The romance stuff was shallow and embarrassing really. Talking to characters like three times in obvious ways leads to an awkward sex scene, how neat.

This is how I feel about "romance" options in all RPGs. Are people's standards really that low, or am I missing the obvious thing?

Sanctuary

I felt the entire romancing aspect unappealing. I wasn't against the concept, just the implementation feeling so very much like it belonged in a video game. It was also one of the reasons I can't stand ME3. Much, if not most of the squad is there for fan pandering, romance garbage, and not because the characters are actually interesting.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
In Mass Effect 2, romancing Garrus lead to what is perhaps the funniest line in the entire Mass Effect series ever.

If you talk to Mordin about it he goes through this whole speech about the dangers of cross species intercourse and eventually pulls this out:
"Turians based on dextro-amino acids. Human ingestion of tissue could provoke allergic reactions. Anaphylactic shock possible. So don't, ah, ingest."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWzmeI1QWc

Mordin is the best

Daemul

The romance in ME is what a "nice guy" imagines what romance is actually like.

All I have to do to get laid is be really nice to her!

This right here, is my problem with romances in Mass Effect, they use Bioware logic. That's not how it works Bioware.

On the Aliens, I've never been interested in creating characters who romance them, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm pretty sure it would also be lethal in reality.

Mlatador

Banned
I did. I mean, who the fuck would ever consider stuff like this attractive?

mass-effect-liara-gif-h1n-net.png

Blue skin, and some tentacle-like stuff instead of hair? No fucking thanks. Some people are sick.

Well, this isn't even "alien" looking or something the human brain wouldn't "naturally" be attracted to.

This looks like a really hot "human" woman wearing a cosplay or a wig, maybe with a lot of make-up on. Anyway, the human woman-like features are way too dominant in this design, especially for the rest of the body, so I think it isn't unnatural to find this attractive.

The vast majority of the human romances are boring in Mass Effect. Kaidan is awful and has no personality, Ashley is a racist asshole, Miranda is an angsty tool, and Jacob is... the best of those four, but still not nearly as interesting as most other non-human characters. Jack is cool at least, and I haven't played ME3 yet so maybe the humans in that one are all right.

Still, I don't understand how TC could dislike Tali especially. She's kinda sorta the best characater in the entire game, right next to Garrus.

I do agree the romances in the Mass Effect series have a bad habit of feeling forced, though. I have bad memories of going through ME for the first time and accidentally romancing Kaidan with no way to stop doing so by the time I realized what I had done. I was just trying to be nice to the guy, not get in his stupid pants! I wish the games, especially ME1, were more clear about letting the player know what they were getting into so they couldn't get roped into accidentally having sex with someone.

Ishida

Banned
Well, this isn't even "alien" looking or something the human brain wouldn't "naturally" be attracted to.

This looks like a really hot "human" woman wearing a cosplay or a wig, maybe with a lot of make-up on. Anyway, the human woman-like features are way too dominant in this design, especially for the rest of the body, so I think it isn't unnatural to find this attractive.

Can't say I agree. The skin and the tentacles are like a boner killer for me. She just looks off, weird. Hell, perhaps I could let the blue skin pass (And that's stretching it), but the tentacles look freaky as hell.

To each it's own, I guess, but I seriously cannot imagine how a person would consider that attractive.

EDIT: Also her lack of ears.... Nope. No sir.

BajiBoxer

Banned
They're all awkard and unprofessional (hitting on all your crewmembers makes Shepard kind of a creeper, lol). I thought it was pretty funny, and I loved it. For the most part it's pretty self aware fan service level bullshit. It takes away a bit from the serious sci-fi tone, but you know... video games. I find it entertaining. Should have had a female Krogan to romance at some point too. Would have been a great twist to start a new Krogan war over romancing a rare Krogan woman :-D

Tali? LOL
Blasphemy!

Shy girl on a pilgrimage and that low-whispery if not damn near sultry at times voice.

Fuck Croft that's who I wanna protect.

I think I romanced Ashley twice in my first two playthroughs of Mass Effect. It was alright the first few times but rocking with the aliens for awhile she is shit in comparison.

I did. I mean, who the fuck would ever consider stuff like this attractive?

mass-effect-liara-gif-h1n-net.png

Blue skin, and some tentacle-like stuff instead of hair? No fucking thanks. Some people are sick.
I don't know man. That exoticness has it's....appeal. lol

Liara made a good ass impression on me in 3. They somehow managed to -uguu- her.

Said it before but she makes the Tali pick questionable.

It handles romance in the same way awkward teenagers think romance in real-life is handled. Except the outcome in Mass Effect is always positive.

Alien or not, it's always awkward.

Team Tali or Liara, depending on Shepard's gender.

In Mass Effect 2, romancing Garrus lead to what is perhaps the funniest line in the entire Mass Effect series ever.

If you talk to Mordin about it he goes through this whole speech about the dangers of cross species intercourse and eventually pulls this out:
"Turians based on dextro-amino acids. Human ingestion of tissue could provoke allergic reactions. Anaphylactic shock possible. So don't, ah, ingest."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWzmeI1QWc

This was one of my favorite moments. Mordin is so awesome.

I'm a female Shepard but I don't know if you can fall in love with anyone in ME. I've been trying to see if kaiden will spit some game but he doesn't. Not sure why lol.

Calibus

waifu wars thread? waifu wars thread.

Ashley is my only waifu. She had the sass to back up the ass.

Liara -- Seemed like a puppy dog that was about to whimper in the corner at any moment. Yawn.

Tali -- We never saw even a hint of skin from her. A loyal friend but that's about it. I think her liberal use of "bosh'tet" turned me off.

Miranda -- Icccce queeeen.

Jack -- Too much emotional baggage.

Cortez/Kaidan -- Umm I should go.

That's not an insane opinion, especially when you compare ashley, one of the best written ME1 squadmates, to ME1 Liara, the worst character in the series.

Oh human man, teach me how to love

jgwhiteus

Male Shepard / Kaidan for me - if you haven't romanced anyone in the first two games (which I didn't), them getting together in ME3 is kind of sweet - two repressed, career-focused soldiers who finally find comfort in one another before the apocalypse. Sure, Kaidan's kind of an awkward stick in the mud, but the voice makes up for it.

Oh, and if you play a biotic / Sentinel Shepard, Kaidan's skill-set is actually a nice complement to Liara's while you're spamming biotic explosions. Sentinel Shepard / Kaidan / Liara was my go-to squad for ME3.

tipoo

Banned
Really, I never got the alien stuff. And why is some unknown being in a mask appealing?

Dis. Dis is the answer.
7026.castmiranda.jpg

Annubis

I avoid romance in ME1,2,3 because I'm out to save the universe - Don't got time for messing around.
Now if only my crew could contain their raging hormones for a minute, so we can go and destroy the reaper, that'd be swell.

kick51

Banned
Ashley is my only waifu. She had the sass to back up the ass.

Liara -- Seemed like a puppy dog that was about to whimper in the corner at any moment. Yawn.

Tali -- We never saw even a hint of skin from her. A loyal friend but that's about it. I think her liberal use of "bosh'tet" turned me off.

Miranda -- Icccce queeeen.

Jack -- Too much emotional baggage.

Cortez/Kaidan -- Umm I should go.

i definitely didn't ask or want to know

Cimarron

Mostly yes... ick. Liara is close enough to being human I suppose. Tali has a nice personality but the bird legs, sickliness, and no hint of skin is unappealing. What blew y mind is the amount of Garrus love online. I mean he is a cool guy but.... no. Turians are not sexy. These are the same people who would hump a Sangheli I suppose. :p

I had a friend that was anti-alien in the Mass Effect games. He wouldn't and never dated outside of his own race in real life either.

Edwardo

Mostly yes... ick. Liara is close enough to being human I suppose. Tali has a nice personality but the bird legs, sickliness, and no hint of skin is unappealing. What blew y mind is the amount of Garrus love online. I mean he is a cool guy but.... no. Turians are not sexy. These are the same people who would hump a Sangheli I suppose. :p

There must be something sexy about always being in the middle of some calibrations.

It wasn't just the aliens, all the "romance" was awkward and forced. ME was interesting for the sci-fi, but that extra stuff was funny like HBO late night movies.

prophecy0

I agree, but I thought that all of the romances in the ME games (and even other Bioware games, like Dragon Age) felt very awkward. I think it's just poor writing overall, and the fact that just being nice to all of the potential love interests automatically puts you down the path of romance.

That said, in ME1 I romanced Liara, then switched to Miranda in ME2 because Liara seemed so different. I switched back to Liara in ME3, once I realized why she was so weird in ME2. I thought this was all handled relatively well.

ME3 spoilers
Miranda's feelings got hurt, and as a result of her distancing herself, she ended up dying near the end of the game. She was the only "preventable" death that I suffered in the entire trilogy, so that stung a bit. I also liked the fact that there was some initial tension between Liara and Shepard as a result of him cheating on her with a human.

DocSeuss

I'm on TeamAshley all the way. The haters can suck it. The girl had character development, and I wish you'd stop calling her a racist, especially when she has a LEGIT reason to not like them.

Insofar as Bioware romances go, Ashley was the best, at least in the first game. The only people who think she's racist were the people who didn't play her far enough to get past that. I think the reason they dumbed down the characters in future ME games so much was because people had a hard time seeing past all the (and I'm really trying hard not to laugh saying that, because, well, it's not as if there was a lot of it) nuance.

PK Gaming

Turian/Human makes minimal sense. Quarian/Human makes minimal sense. On the other hand, the Asari were designed specifically with romance in mind, and they are so awful as a result. An entire species of bisexual women, and every single one of them is thin, toned, has pretty facial features and a generous bust. They also live for thousands of years and all have psychic powers. This is some next level mary sue / waifu bullshit for the Star Trek crowd.
Haha, the Asari are literally space waifus.
Assuming direct control

EGM1966

In execution the romance stuff was fairly horrible I thought- but then again I guess if videogames with narratives want to have it they're going to have to start somewhere.

Lautaro

hell no, Liara was by far the most appealing female character to me

#TeamLiara

Yeah, I tried to have a Sheppard without relations (because it seemed unprofessional to me go around flirting with your crew) but I couldn't resist dat blue ass.

Liara4ever

Zakalwe

Banned
I wish you'd stop calling her a racist, especially when she has a LEGIT reason to not like them.

Racism isn't magically vanished if the reason for it is "legitimate".

Yeh, she developed in that she got promoted and got over her xenophobia, but still retained her character which was the most unattractive thing about her.

Liara is a badass. The whole
Shadow Broker
thing just makes her ridiculously cool. Best romance option imo.

Top Bottom